Bk1234

Which Coach Would YOU Choose?   

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which Coach Would YOU Choose?

• Kelly Clarkson
    • Gwen Stefani
    • John Legend
    • Blake Shelton

i picked kelly, it's a high risk high reward. if i intrigue her, then i'd get to the lives, and she'd probably support me after the show. getting to the lives on other teams doesn't mean as much. it's an easier path to getting to lives as well, cause i could also just do country. 

• Like 1

I don't see much benefits of working with John.

Gwen definitely can help contestants break out of their shell and work on stage presence and their artistry. Also I'd assume she has a bunch of cool ideas and arrangements based on her career but I don't know how much of that she gets into. She will let you do your own thing.

Most unique of the four, which I would want to be. 

Kelly does seem like a blast to be around, vocal monster and also an amazing storyteller, classically trained so can give better insight on your vocal, knows what works on the show for the most part, cares and helps her artists off the show (at least the higher placing ones), will let you do your own thing as well

Blake knows what to do on the show with almost any artist, can push you in the finale if you're his chosen one, holds on his four chair turns for dear life even if not his TCO

If you'd want to improve your vocals and a connection in the music industry - Kelly

If you want to work on your artistry and stage presence - Gwen

If your main goal is to go far on the show - Blake

Downside for each:

Blake might want you to do classics and song he knows will be well received. Nothing too unique or out of the box will be an option for his TCO. We can assume he advised Ricky Duran not to sing in falsetto even though it was impressive and well developed. 

Kelly is a wildcard, she could drop you for a contestant that does much worse but peaks her interest for some reason, very high risk situation. Might challenge you too early on with song choices outside your comfort zone. Also tends to favor breakout performances over the ones of consistent contestant even when they're at the same level

Gwen is not really loved by the core audience, you probably will be robbed. At times unsure about what works on the show, might give weird non-performance related comments after you perform.

• Like 1

To be honest, I'd pick anyone but John lmao.

If I had to choose at this moment, I would pick Gwen because of her emphasis on artistry and her persona. Don't get me wrong, I like Kelly's TV persona the best, but she's not the type of person I typically like being around.

Edit: Also, the genre I'm most comfortable singing is alt-rock, and Gwen will definitely pitch about that lol

Edited by FloorWax
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, antikid said:

Kelly is a wildcard, she could drop you for a contestant that does much worse but peaks her interest for some reason, very high risk situation. Might challenge you too early on with song choices outside your comfort zone. Also tends to favor breakout performances over the ones of consistent contestant even when they're at the same level

Yeah, this is what would shy me away from Kelly. 😬

Blake = Kelly > Gwen >> John

• John's got an EGOT and is clearly accomplished within the music industry + we'd bond over the home state thing (I grew up ~30 minutes from his hometown) but I don't think I'd have much in common with him beyond that.
  • Gwen seems like a sweetheart and I'd have a blast working with her, plus she's a natural at getting people out of their shelves and improving stage presence. However, the core audience doesn't really like her that much, so I'd probably be screwed if I made it beyond the playoffs.
  • Kelly's a beast of a vocalist, would be a ton of fun to work with, and has crossed through a variety of genres and seems more likely to let her artists do the same, which for me is a plus. She's also generally supportive of her team post-show and knows how to navigate a competition. That said, the biggest thing that would make me hesitate to pick her is that she's a bit of a wildcard with her saves and tends to stick with the artists that intrigue her.
  • Blake's got the audience wrapped around his finger and has a knack for knowing what will and won't click with the audience, plus he tends to cling to his four chairs even if they aren't his TCOs. We also have similar dry-wit senses of humor and he's willing to support his artists post-show (though to a lesser extent than Kelly). The two main drawback are that he's less comfortable with genre-crossing and that if I'm not his TCO, it'll show (sort of, his poker face has improved but it doesn't mean it's good).

I voted Blake in the poll since he's strategically the better choice for the duration of the show, but in reality* it'd come between him and Kelly on whose pitch clicks more with me.

*This is all hypothetical because I sound like a dying walrus when I sing and I have all the stage presence of a rotten potato.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, antikid said:

I don't see much benefits of working with John.

Gwen definitely can help contestants break out of their shell and work on stage presence and their artistry. Also I'd assume she has a bunch of cool ideas and arrangements based on her career but I don't know how much of that she gets into. She will let you do your own thing.

Most unique of the four, which I would want to be. 

Kelly does seem like a blast to be around, vocal monster and also an amazing storyteller, classically trained so can give better insight on your vocal, knows what works on the show for the most part, cares and helps her artists off the show (at least the higher placing ones), will let you do your own thing as well

Blake knows what to do on the show with almost any artist, can push you in the finale if you're his chosen one, holds on his four chair turns for dear life even if not his TCO

If you'd want to improve your vocals and a connection in the music industry - Kelly

If you want to work on your artistry and stage presence - Gwen

If your main goal is to go far on the show - Blake

Downside for each:

Blake might want you to do classics and song he knows will be well received. Nothing too unique or out of the box will be an option for his TCO. We can assume he advised Ricky Duran not to sing in falsetto even though it was impressive and well developed. 

Gwen is not really loved by the core audience, you probably will be robbed. At times unsure about what works on the show, might give weird non-performance related comments after you perform.

That was somehow the best coach-analysis I've ever seen. Congrats. And I pretty much agree with everything you said. I really don't see John as a positive choice, also. 

I´d say there a several types of contestants that fit in each individual team (not always, but several times):

• Usually the pop vocalists go with Kelly because they look up to her, not to mention that she tends to turn around (and many times being the only one) for people that are clearly raw and unexperienced but show potential, and she often improves them. She also tends to have the most country artists out of anyone besides Blake, which is a genre she loves, but in particular, you could expect pop vocalists , a lot of them inexperienced and green, or pretty seasoned, and 1 or 2 country artists on her team.

• Gwen´s team usually is conformed by the oddballs (TJW, Payge, Ellie, Hunter), very eclectic artists usually join her team. She also tends to have a rocker or two in her seasons due to her No Doubt years. You may find some R&B as well.

• Team Legend is mostly consisted of people that are seasoned and ready, which is why John is very picky with turning and why he always gets the best post blinds team (and ends up ruining it later, but you know). Mostly R&B people here, perhaps a few alternative vocalists, and the jazzy contestants also tend to join him.

• In Team Blake, you will find mostly seasoned and experienced country artists (and yes, that has a little bit to do with genre, since country artists usually start performing on bars while being very young, which is a reason they tend to be consistent in the lives), perhaps some pop and R&B to diversify as well. The guitarrists tend to come here as well now that Adam´s gone. 
  • Like 1