Musician Discography Rankdown (Bonus Round)

FrogLenzen

FINAL STANDINGS PART ONE

21. Spinning Bottles (2018 prod. by Carrie Underwood + David Garcia, written by Carrie Underwood, Hillary Lindsey, Carol Oordt, + David Garcia)

Album: Cry Pretty

Carrie_Underwood_-_Cry_Pretty_(Official_

US Billboard 200 (Album): #1

US Top Country Albums (Billboard): #1

United States Certification (RIAA): Platinum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cry_Pretty

RANKINGS:

Derek: 19

Steven: 17

Wally: 21

Sola: 9

Lily: 20

Kaley: 11

Andy: 14

Tom: 3

Denise: 19

Andrew: 19

Amanda: 16

Chris: 8

Victoria: 20

Public: 16

Final Average = 15.14

COMMENTS:

20 hours ago, *Chris said:

SPINNING BOTTLES

GUDmwd6.jpg FKfqzpZ.jpg 2HsekG8.jpg 

In this album track from "Cry Pretty", this ballad takes on a serious subject - as the narrator of the song, Carrie sings the story of a relationship affected by addiction/substance abuse/alcoholism; "She's waiting, praying, that he don't drive tonight, She's pacing the floor, she's checking the time, Wondering how the glow with that porch light hasn't gone out, 'Cause it's been on now for three days straight, his been nowhere to be found, Probably drowning in the neon, where the wagon broke down, She called up his mama and his friends in town, But they ain't seen him, Another night of no sleepin". 

As well, I think Carrie found a way to perfectly describe the importance of this song & how many people can relate to this song: "We've all personally, or seen family members, friends, friends of friends go through all those things in the song. We don't know how it ends, but there's room for people to fill in the blanks from their on personal experiences, too. It's the cycle and the circle, trying to love and do the right thing, not judge". 

This song is easily one of the strongest track from "Cry Pretty" - I absolutely love Carrie's vocals as she's saying the story especially when she's hitting the notes in the chorus: "Round and around and around they go, Will it end? Nobody knows, She's all cried out on the kitchen floor, Spinnin' rooms, spinnin' wheels, spinnin' outta control, spinnin' bottles, spinnin' bottles". However, my favourite vocals of the song is around the 02:13 mark where she sings "This ain't a game, Nobody wins, Yeah, nobody gets lucky when that bottle spins, again and again, again and again, again and again" - the pain that you can feel in her voice during that part of the song is surreal, and felt all too real. 

On 7/30/2020 at 9:39 PM, ~Tom~ said:

It's close between Spinning Bottles, Wheel of the World, Relapse, and Ghosts on the Stereo, but Spinning Bottles is my favorite non-single from Carrie. I also won the last coaching game on IDF (where you pick songs that fit a theme) with it, so another reason to love it. My favorite song of Cry Pretty (whch has many great songs on it) and relatable lyrics for me. After her mangificent live performance at the AMAs of it shortly after Cry Pretty was released, I was hoping it would be a single, but alas it was not to be. :(

On 7/30/2020 at 1:39 AM, Steven_ said:

"Spinning Bottles" addresses alcoholism in a somber way. It's a bleak tale that doesn't end on a hopeful note, but this is a situation that is sadly relatable for a lot of people out there. The story is about a woman worried about her husband who has yet to return home while he's in a hotel room passed out after drinking heavily again. Carrie's delivery here is perfect too. She sings this so beautifully with a stunning arrangement with nice use of piano and strings. It really captures the tone of the song perfectly. "Spinning Bottles" is a heartbreaking song, but so beautifully sung by Carrie. It's a Cry Pretty album highlight for sure.

Favorite lyric:

🎵 He'd quit if he could
But one down, two down, three down, four
Can't even recognize the man in the mirror anymore. 🎵

On 7/30/2020 at 11:56 AM, *Wallace said:

This is a very pretty deep and emotional song. I heard this a few times namely from the 2018 American Music Awards. She delivers gorgeous vocals and a strong emotional connection here.

On 7/30/2020 at 4:23 PM, *Lily said:

This is very nice and totally highlights her vocals. It doesn't stand out in this final group for me though, I don't think.

On 7/30/2020 at 8:12 PM, #jeah said:

Love love love her voice in this song, but it’s a tad dull to be one of my favorites from her

On 7/31/2020 at 8:01 PM, miss denise said:

This is such an emotional and sad song about an all too real issue. :broken:  Carrie's vocals are powerful and heartbreaking.  "But one down, two down, three down, four, can't even recognize the man in the mirror anymore" 😢 That part really gets me. I love how she uses the dynamics in her voice too, as there are some quieter parts that build into the more powerful ones and they are all equally powerful. This is a song I have to listen to remember just how much I appreciate it, but it's so great.

On 8/3/2020 at 2:19 PM, sublymonal said:

I definitely remembered this song differently and when I listened to it and realized it was a sad song about alcoholism I was like "yeah, I don't want to feel sad right now" so I'm ranking it here.

20. Southbound (2018 prod. by Carrie Underwood + David Garcia, written by Carrie Underwood, David Garcia, + Josh Miller)

Album: Cry Pretty

giphy.gif

US Billboard Hot 100: #64 (Single)

US Hot Country Songs (Billboard): #11 (Single)

US Country Airplay (Billboard): #3 (Single)

United States Certification (RIAA): Gold (Single)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southbound_(Carrie_Underwood_song)

RANKINGS:

Derek: 5

Steven: 21

Wally: 10

Sola: 17

Lily: 3

Kaley: 17

Andy: 21

Tom: 18

Denise: 9

Andrew: 10

Amanda: 13

Chris: 20

Victoria: 19

Public: 18

Final Average = 14.36

COMMENTS

"Southbound" is a lively song perfect for any summertime playlist. It's fun and upbeat, and I like Carrie's delivery here. That chorus is especially infectious with a melody that easily gets stuck in my head. Even though it was an easy choice for last place for my ranking, I still enjoy this song whenever I do hear it. It's just not a song I would have within my Top 20 favorite Carrie Underwood songs from her entire discography so far. But it's still an enjoyable tune, and it was a great single choice for the summertime as it made it to #1 on the charts.

Favorite lyric:

🎵 We got the rope swing swinging like a chandelier
Little bit of heaven on the water right here
Don't need much, just a couple of beers and you and me
Gotta love this time of year.
🎵

giphy.gif

I am a little surprised to see “Southbound” in the finals only because I feel like most of Carrie big fans/stans aren’t huge on this song (except Denise). Maybe Lily but i’m not sure where she falls on the fan spectrum. But props to Lily bringing this here. I find “Southbound” sooo underrated and overlooked. A part of me wants to push this up into my Top 10 because of it’s underrated’ness. And after re-listening to this, I was jamming so much to it that I decided to push this up to #10. This is the perfect summer country song and it has such a fun feel good feel to it. I love the chorus where she sings: And it's all lookin' up when we get down. Yeah. And get a little southbound, southbound. Get a little southbound, southbound. Oh, yeah. :bobo:

Wow look at me advancing this song all the way to the finals just by using saves :wub: Idk how I see this faring in the final vote so that helps me rank it higher. But I just love this song! It's such a fun number and I've loved seeing videos of her perform it live, too.

I suppose it made sense as a summer single but it advancing to the finals here was a choice and a half! 

I know some people feel differently, but this is still one of my favorites from the album. :bobo: Such a jam and it puts me in a good mood. Carrie can do ballads, fierce sassy songs, and fun ones too! I just love listening to this and it's one of the most fun Carrie songs for me, if not the most fun. "Summer dripping off of us" :bobo: while it may be a perfect summer song, I love to blast it year round. :bobo:  The chorus is so catchy and addicting. "It's all looking up when we get down, and get a little southbound, southbound, Get a little southbound, southbound" I can't stop jamming. :bobo: SOUTH BOUND (!) south boundddd (!) And the breakdown after the bridge! Ugh so good. I'm getting a little southbound now. :bobo: 

Before I listened to all these songs, I was like "do I know this song?" then I realized I've heard it approximately 40 gazillion times at CMA Fest and yes, I like it.

SOUTHBOUND

kaC00kZ.gif XZ5Fe9H.gif kaC00kZ.gif 

This will probably going to be my shortest write-up out of all the song in this Top 20 - it is the song that I don't think belong in this Top 20. I think this it is an injustice to the other singles from "Cry Pretty" that this song went all the way to #1 - it proves the obsession of Country radio with party songs even though it's some of the worst song. And I feel this song was released as a single because many fans kept wanting her to release a summer song as she missed the occasion with "One Way Ticket" and "Mexico". Anyway, this is obviously the weakest song out of this Top 20, hence why I ranked it pretty low.

19. Heartbeat (2011 prod. by Zach Crowell, written by Carried Underwood, Zach Crowell, + Ashley Gorley)

Album: Storyteller

eSVZrmq.gif

US Billboard Hot 100: #42 (Single)

US Hot Country Songs (Billboard): #2 (Single)

US Country Airplay (Billboard): #1 (Single)

United States Certification (RIAA): Platinum (Single)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heartbeat_(Carrie_Underwood_song)

RANKINGS

Derek: 18

Steven: 14

Wally: 5

Sola: 20

Lily: 12

Kaley: 20

Andy: 18

Tom: 8

Denise: 1

Andrew: 14

Amanda: 20

Chris: 18

Victoria: 14

Public: 19

Final Average = 14.36

COMMENTS

HEARTBEAT

tumblr_p6qqjaTBU71vlycbzo2_400.gifv tumblr_p6qqjaTBU71vlycbzo1_400.gifv tumblr_p6qqjaTBU71vlycbzo6_400.gifv

The 2nd single from "Storyteller", Heartbeat is one of the most authentic love song that Carrie had released at the time - the song discuss the feeling of intimacy experienced by being with your lover. With a hit of pop and R&B, the song features the vocal of Sam Hunt in the background - the song was a commercial success, which I wasn't surprise by. But that being said, I do believe the song would have had a bigger impact if it was released as a full-on duet with Sam Hunt, whom was one of the biggest country male singer at the time. 

I appreciate the simplicity of the song & how it showcase her vocals; I personally prefer the stripped version of the song.  With that being said, I do like the song but it's a bit too simple for my liking as I prefer her more dramatic songs or the songs that she proves her worth as power vocalist. 

3abQ.gif 

I am a huge romantic, so it should come at no surprise that I LOVE this song and connect to it so much. It should also come as no surprise I rank this on top considering it was my first choice to advance to the penultimate round, and then again to go straight to the finals. I have no idea how anyone else will rank this song, but I'll be pleasantly shocked if it's anyone else's favorite. :wub: It's just so lovey-dovey, dreamy, and gives me all the romantic vibes both with the colorful and vivid lyrics, as well as the video. IT'S PERFECTION. The words themselves paint such a perfect picture, and I particularly love "I love the way you look in a firefly glow", "A cricket choir in the background", and "Standing on your shoes in my bare feet, dancing to the rhythm of your heartbeat."  but wait, there's more! "I wanna feel it like a kick drum, beating faster in your chest" ❤️ I also love the little lyric change in the last chorus where she says "A river rolling in the background", even though it replaces my cricket choir. :broken:  It's just all perfectly scenic and then the video itself brings it all to life even more. ❤️ And it goes without saying that Carrie's vocals are amazing, powerful, and flawless from start to finish. I LOVE LOVE AND THAT'S WHAT THIS SONG IS. :wub: :wub: :wub:  I could maybe swap this and my #2. I don't even know because this ranking is so difficult. They hit me in the feels so differently, but both so strongly... This is a bit of a sentimental favorite though. It just ticks all my boxes of a perfect love song. Also, Sam Hunt on backing vocals on this is a nice touch. I know they've sung it together live as more of a duet, and would have loved if they released a studio version of that too.

It was great to see Carrie finally release a love song as a single, which was "Heartbeat." It became a big success for her too. "Heartbeat" was a song I loved the instant I heard it. It's a very romantic song, but it's not a cliché. The lyrics are very real with some vivid imagery. The song starts out by Carrie noting how it's great when she and her significant other (Mike) are out at a party, but she loves it when it's just the two of them together. It's so sweet and romantic, and Carrie sounds so sincere throughout the track. It is very lovely and graceful, and it's a song that makes you want to sway to the melody when it plays. I especially love how Carrie sings the chorus after the key change at the end of the song. That's definitely my favorite part of the song as her voice just soars there.

Favorite lyric:

🎵 I love the way you look in a firefly glow
Saying everything without making a sound,
A cricket choir in the background, underneath a harvest moon
Standing on your shoes in my bare feet, dancing to the rhythm of your heartbeat.
🎵

tumblr_p6qqjaTBU71vlycbzo2_400.gif

Aww I know Denise really loves “Heartbeat” so yay for bringing it to the finals of this game. I also love this song and think it’s so beautiful and romantic. I remember being shocked when Steven said this was Carrie’s first love song released as a single. 😮 Carre does give a stunning and romantic deliver of this song which is just soo sweet. I do love the pre-chorus where she sings “red wine, good times” but I love the chorus especially love the parts where she sings: And tonight I wanna drive so far. We'll only find static on the radio and Standing on your shoes in my bare feet,. Dancing to the rhythm of your heartbeat. Her vocals throughout the song are so stunning and I love how the song builds up. I also love they imagery and cinematography of the music video - it’s soo pretty! And she’s absolutely beautiful in the video too. :wub:

Super sweet number dedicated to her husband. Sam Hunt's backing vocals accentuate this really nicely.

I don't listen to this one as often as the ones above it but every time I do I'm reminded of how much love it. Perhaps I don't listen to it as much because I am decidedly unromantic, but I still love the story and that chrous is amazing.

I was kind of lukewarm on Storyteller, but this song was one of the highlights, for sure. in retrospect, I see why the album was called Storyteller, because the lyrics of this song paint a very vivid picture.

Edited by Deeee

4 minutes ago, miss denise said:

Two of my top 10 already showing up. :( 

Same for me (and happened to me on the Beyonce list) even though I know it's worse for you. Hoping it turns around for you on the next set. :hug:  

Just now, *Wallace said:

Same for me (and happened to me on the Beyonce list) even though I know it's worse for you. Hoping it turns around for you on the next set. :hug:  

Ahhh. :( I don't want to read any more.  :broken: But you ranked Heartbeat in your top 5, so that is one thing that makes me happy. ❤️  

4 minutes ago, miss denise said:

Ahhh. :( I don't want to read any more.  :broken: But you ranked Heartbeat in your top 5, so that is one thing that makes me happy. ❤️  

Awww noo. :(  Aww glad that made you happy at least. :hug: