Mothers Day/Disney Week Song Suggestions

Blirel

While I don’t have any specific suggestions so far, if someone does “Remember Me,” that person should do a rather intimate version of it, due to the context of the song in the film Coco.  The song was meant to be a personal song, but it was later performed in a rather bombastic style which had no real heart and soul.  This song needs heart and soul.

disney:

sam - gospel truth, reflection

francisco - go the distance, two worlds

makayla - into the unknown, when will my life begin

julia - when you wish upon a star

sophia - just around the riverbend, when can i see you again?

dillon - you're welcome, real gone

Mother's Day is a tough theme to sort out what they should do. It's got to be something that they feel is right for their relationships with their mothers. So I'm going to ignore that theme and try to come up with a Disney song for each of them. I'm also going to choose a song for all eleven of them, even though only seven will actually get their performances aired.

One of the defining characteristics of Jovin that they've been trying to push is that he is very Louisianan, so I instinctively looked to the Princess and the Frog soundtrack for inspiration. Sure enough, there's a song called "Down in New Orleans" that is such a perfect fit that it seems almost too predictable.

Grace is a tough one to choose for in theory, because there isn't much country music in the Disney songbook...but then again, a lot of the songs Grace has sung weren't originally country songs. So I'm actually going to go to the same soundtrack that another country female went to for this theme, but not the same song: I suggest "Just Around the Riverbend" from Pocahontas.

Arthur has been covering a lot of classics, so he probably gets that "quirky older pick" niche that our past two champions filled. But when I looked at the era that their song choices came from, I came up empty. So rather than try to pick something more recent, I went older. It's definitely not a conventional pick, but I'm going with "Ichabod Crane" from The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad.

Okay, are there any other tricky ones? Anyone at all that should theoretically have a rough time with this theme? No? Well okay then. Let's go to Julia next; she's perhaps a little more constrained than the other girls because the selection for altos probably isn't as wide as for sopranos. Still, while I hate suggesting songs that have already been done on Idol before, I have to begrudgingly suggest "Reflection" from Mulan. It's a solid pick and it should work in her vocal range.

Let's see, what's a good soulful song for Just Sam to sing? 

43 minutes ago, CarmenSandiego said:

While I don’t have any specific suggestions so far, if someone does “Remember Me,” that person should do a rather intimate version of it, due to the context of the song in the film Coco.  The song was meant to be a personal song, but it was later performed in a rather bombastic style which had no real heart and soul.  This song needs heart and soul.

Hmmm, maybe? 

41 minutes ago, Elliott said:

I just hope it's not full of the same songs we've heard the last two years. 😐

Yeah, me too. So, yeah, forget that. "Part of Your World" from The Little Mermaid.

The "not something we've heard each of the last two years" bug also bites Dillon, who probably would want to go with "You've Got A Friend In Me". So instead I'm going to go to the same soundtrack I always end up suggesting for a male singer for this theme, but not the same song that I suggested for Cade two years ago and Wade last year. My pick is "Two Worlds" from Tarzan.

Louis and Francisco both have tough assignments from me, because they're our "princes" and the selection for that is, well, there are some songs that have been done before. Pretty damn well, at that. Francisco gets the plum assignment of "A Whole New World", which means literally trying to measure up with a WNTS showstopper, albeit one from 2003. Louis doesn't have it much easier with "Can You Feel the Love Tonight?" Still, I have faith that they can pull through.

Let's see, that's eight. I know two of the ones I haven't covered yet, so who am I missing...oh, right, Jonny! Huh, that's actually a tough call. What exactly fits into his wheelhouse? What even is his wheelhouse? I'm not saying that because I don't think he's had good performances; I'm saying that because I haven't figured out what his musical identity is. From his audition and his "This Is Me" piece, I feel like it might actually be kind of hip-hop. Which is pretty much a dead end for Disney. So I guess he'll have to go the ballad route again. Maybe "Go The Distance" from Hercules?

And that just leaves our two poppy females, Sophia and Makayla. It's almost obligatory that someone will sing something from the most recent Disney movie, which in this case means Frozen II. Makayla's more of the belter, so "Show Yourself" goes to her. And as for Sophia...I don't know why, but I feel like I want her to go down the Frozen path as well? But not one of Elsa's songs; that's a bit outside her wheelhouse. Sophia's no belter, but she does have "quirky" on lockdown. "For the First Time in Forever" or "Love Is an Open Door", songs sung primarily by Anna, seem right up her alley. 

14 minutes ago, holinessss said:

disney:

sam - gospel truth, reflection

francisco - go the distance, two worlds

makayla - into the unknown, when will my life begin

julia - when you wish upon a star

sophia - just around the riverbend, when can i see you again?

dillon - you're welcome, real gone

Wow, we actually did make some of the same song suggestions, but not once did we suggest them for the same person! lmao

• Haha 1

Arthur: 

1. Under The Sea from The Little Mermaid 

2. Hakuna Matata from The Lion King 

Grace:

1. Can You Feel The Love Tonight from The Lion King 

2. Reflection from Mulan 

Julia:

1. You've got Friend in Me From Toy Story

2. I Won't say I'm In Love from Herceles 

Jovin:

1. Bare Necessitis from The Jungle Book 

2. I'll Make a Man Out of You From Mulan 

Just Sam: 

1. Spirit from The Lion King (2019)

2. Speechless from Aladdin (2019) 

Johnny: 

1. Beauty and the Beast from Beauty and the Beast 

2. Go The Distance from Herceles 

Dillion:

1. What's This from The Nightmere Before Christams 

2. Poor Unfortunate Souls From The Little Mermaid 

Louis:

1. You'll be in my Heart form Tarzan

2. Circle of Life From the Lion King 

3. True to your Heart from Mulan

Fransisco:

1. Bella Note from The Lady and the Tramp

2. A Spoonfull of Sugar from Mary Poppins

Makayla:

1. God Help the Outcasts from The Hunchback of Norte Dame 

2. Baby Mine from Dumbo

23 hours ago, ScarletDevilCCX said:

The "not something we've heard each of the last two years" bug also bites Dillon, who probably would want to go with "You've Got A Friend In Me". So instead I'm going to go to the same soundtrack I always end up suggesting for a male singer for this theme, but not the same song that I suggested for Cade two years ago and Wade last year. My pick is "Two Worlds" from Tarzan.

Actually, it's Jonny who I fear is probably going to want to sing "You've Got A Friend In Me". Which I do not think would be a good idea for him to sing at all! Anyway, here are some of my suggestions for the contestants:

Just Sam - Almost There from The Princess and the Frog

Sophia - Will the Sun Ever Shine Again? from Home on the Range, I'm On My Way from Brother Bear, You'll Be in My Heart from Tarzan

Julia - A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes from Cinderella, I've Got No Strings from Pinocchio, Little Patch of Heaven from Home on the Range

Francisco - Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah

Arthur - Friend Like Me from Aladdin

Unfortunately, I really wasn't able to come up with any good suggestions for the rest of the contestants. And I do think the contestants I made suggestions for really should consider singing some of those songs. But, we'll see what happens.

Updated, but based on spoilers, now I'm worried that no one will consider singing Will the Sun Ever Shine Again? And I still think it's a song that one of the contestants should give some serious consideration to singing. I think it would be such a good song to sing given what's going on in the world right now and maybe in some of the contestants lives as well. I also think Dillon should give serious consideration to singing Heaven's Light from The Hunchback of Notre Dame. I think that would be such a good song for him to sing.

Edited by Winterfan

On 5/7/2020 at 9:25 AM, blackfield said:

dillon might be doing a song from Lilo and Stitch if spoilers are correct and  if the instagram AI video was a hint.. probably one of the Elvis songs. 

Do they count? Sure, they were in a Disney movie but they're not from a Disney movie. I mean, if you go to the Disney Wiki, there are a hell of a lot of pop hits listed because they've appeared in Disney movies.

And then there's the question of exactly what is and isn't allowed. We've seen pre-merger Pixar songs allowed, but we haven't seen anything from a fully non-animated movie (Jeremiah did one from a live-action/animation hybrid), nor have we seen anything released under any label other than Disney or Pixar (which rules out Nightmare Before Christmas, released under the Touchstone label). If Touchstone really is open, that opens up a whole new frontier to work off of. 

Just Sam - Let It Go. To show her diva which we saw in Hawaii

Jonny - You'll Be In My Heart . I think he'll do well if he Jonny-fy it.

Arthur - You Got A Friend In Me

Julia - A Whole New World

Sophia - Reflection

Francisco - A Whole New World

Dillon - Go The Distance

Louis -Circle of Life

Edited by jjeem

On 5/6/2020 at 1:18 AM, Blirel said:

I’m composing a list. All I ask is that someone sings All I Want by Olivia Rodrigo. Hoping that a Disney + series counts as Disney 

Julia would sound incredible on that song!

Grace Leer: As people have said before, not a lot of female country songs. I bet she will go for a power ballad, just like our past female country singer has done. My prediction is: Colors of the Wind/Pocahontas

Makayla Phillips: Makayla will go for a pop power ballad for sure. Most likely a more current one. My prediction is: Into the Unknown/Frozen 2

Jonny West: He will do a ballad on the piano like always. My prediction is: Elton John’s version of
Can You Feel the Love Tonight/The Lion King

Julia Gargano: I feel like she is gonna go for a slow ballad. My prediction is: When She Loved Me/Toy Story 2

Sophia James: I feel like this song is the perfect for her. She can belt and hit a bunch of big notes in it. My prediction is: You Can’t Stop the Girl/Maleficent

Francisco Martin: I can also see him doing a ballad on the guitar. I don’t know why, but I can see him singing this song. My prediction is: A Whole New World/Aladdin

Jovin Webb: As someone said above, Princess and the Frog takes place in New Orleans and there is one song from there that is perfect. My prediction is: Down In New Orleans/Princess and the Frog

Dillon James: I cant see him going the country route. This song is terrible for him but since it’s country, I’m predicting it. My prediction is: Life Is a Highway/Cars

Arthur Gunn: He is gonna go the folk/americana route like always. My prediction is: You’ve Got a Friend in Me/Toy Story

Just Sam: I feel like she will do an r&b ballad and this song is perfect for her. My prediction is: Spirit/The Lion King

Louis Knight: He will do a basic white boy song. My prediction is: Go the Distance/Hercules