Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

Just now, Alex95 said:

Lol I’m actually just being a bitch there’s one left. I had Social Network, La La Land, Frances Ha, and Whiplash though. I am a Chazelle fanboy but I’ll admit I’m biased because I’ve met him and took a masterclass with him and it was one of my favorite experiences.

That's amazing! Frances Ha is a regret that I have actually. I did not want to nominate it, but honoring my last deals and trying to maintain a ~strategy~ landed in it being nominated and I felt bad.

If Beale Street Could Talk

If_Beale_Street_Could_Talk_film.png

Like most of my other cuts this round it’s a movie that I have nominated previously, so I will take the opportunity to actually see it out. Released in 2018 (and based on a 1974 novel) and directed by Barry Jenkins (also directed Moonlight), the film tells the story of Tish as she tries to clear the name of her partner, who has been accused of rape.

The movie got a good reception, with a lot of praise for Regina King’s role, which earned her multiple awards. It’s a pretty good movie, but not one of my favorites, so no reason for me to keep it here.

Save: Coco

Crazy Rich Asians

Crazy_Rich_Asians_poster.png

tumblr_p7nyisOFV61tovmb9o3_540.gif

Why was this film still here?? I would never know. It is a perfectly fine film but not a great film. But well there are still very questionable films still around and this is not the most offensive from them. 

Crazy Rich Asians is a 2018 romantic comedy film directed by Jon M. Chu and based on the 2013 novel of the same name.  The movie follows an American-born Chinese economics professor as she accompanies her boyfriend to Singapore for his best friend's weeding, only to get immerse into the lives of the richest people from Singapore. It was the first film by a major Hollywood studio to feature a majority cast of Asian descent, however the film still received criticism for casting biracial actors instead of fully ethnically Chinese for certain roles, as well as failing to include actors from Singaporean ethnic groups. The cast of the film included: Constance Wu, Henry Golding (who is absoulety beautiful), Gemma Chan, Lisa Lu, Awkwafina, Ken Jeong, Michelle Yeoh and Sonoya Mizuno, among others. The film was a major box office success, making $240M against a budget of $30M. Reception of the film was great with special praise for Michelle Yeoh's performance (but seriously, when is she not great). The film currently holds a Tomatoscore of 91% and a Metascore of 74/100. Like I said, the movie is perfectly fine and you will have a good time watching it. It is however not one of the best film of the 2010's and I'm glad is going now, so another film can take its spot in my next nominations.

Saving The Handmaiden

tenor.gif?itemid=15970576

Prisoners

tumblr_mwbr7ehF3A1qhhxd4o1_500.gif

I have never heard of this movie before even though it stars two very high profile actors in Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal. I'm opting to save Drive which I am assuming is the movie with Ryan Gosling. :dead: Prisoners was released in 2013 and is categorized as an American thriller film directed by Denis Villeneuve from a screenplay written by Aaron Guzikowski. The film has an ensemble cast including Hugh Jackman, Jake Gyllenhaal, Viola Davis, Maria Bello, Terrence Howard, Melissa Leo and Paul Dano. It is Denis Villeneuve's first English-language feature film. The film is about the abduction of two young girls in Pennsylvania and the search foe the suspected abductor by the police. The film was a financial and critical success grossing $122 million dollars worldwide. It was chosen by the National Board of Review as one of the top ten films of 2013 and at the 86th Academy Awards it was nominated for Best Cinematography. The film has a RT score of 81% but it seems like a film that just fell through the cracks and made it farther than it needed to. 

THE FLORIDA PROJECT

The_Florida_Project.jpg

The Florida Project is a 2017 dramedy that was directed by Sean Baker, from a screenplay that he co-wrote with Chris Bergoch. Starring Willam Dafoe, Brookylnn Prince, Bria Vinaite, Valeria Cotto, Christopher Rivera and Caleb Landy Jones, The Florida Project follows a six-year-old girl that is living in Kissimmee, Florida with her single mother as they make ends meet to avoid being homeless. The film juxtaposes their life alongside Disney World, which is nearby (and had the original codename of "The Florida Project," which is where this film gets it name from). The film received praise, particularly for the directing and the performers turned in by Brooklynn Pierce and Willam Dafoe, and was chosen by both the National Board of Review and American Film Institute as one of the top 10 films of the year.

SAVE: Inside Llewyn Davis