Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

Just now, totes4totes said:

Oh no. What are you going to do. Cut my number 1 and number 2 movies from this rankdown? Oh wait Rei and Andy already did that

Not everything is directed to you. That was directed at Victoria and Rei.

• Haha 1

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 

UnlawfulUnrealisticCub-size_restricted.g

Movies based off of books were exceptionally annoying with this trend. I know they enjoy making more money, but it was ridiculous. Dealthy Hallows are a bit of a depressing chore to get through in the first place (book wise). Then they make one depressing as heck movie, make me wait a long period of time, and then have something less depressing around. This movie is lots of tedious set up. It ends in the most predictable place humanly possible.  (Was anyone surprised about it ending with Voldemort getting the Elder Wand? Nope? Ok)
It has been a while since I watched this movie. I will say for sure it needed more Helena Bonham Carter! Even though the movies learning she has great comedic timing lowkey ruined Bellatrix in the movies. 

Saving 10 Cloverfield Lane

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World

Apparently this exists. I was thinking it’d be a spin-off but apparently it’s just the third film (and supposedly the final one). As years of being a horror fan have taught me, I don’t know if it actually will be, but I guess we’ll see. The film follows Hiccup seeking a dragon utopia which - as you could guess by the films title - is called The Hidden World. He also has to come to terms with Toothless' new bond with a female Light Fury. I recognize virtually none of proper nouns. The film made $530 million at the box office off of its budget of $129 million, and received widespread universal acclaim. These films have never really interested me, so this is why I’m surprised to learn they’re all critically acclaimed. There’s still two others left in the rankdown, at least.

SAVE: Spider-Man: Far From Home

tumblr_nz7iqmXOES1rq2e4to6_250.gif tumblr_nz7iqmXOES1rq2e4to9_250.gif tumblr_nz7iqmXOES1rq2e4to1_250.gif

I generally do not like cutting a movie that I've never seen, but in this case, I wanted to save "Heartbeats" and "Kubo & the Two Strings" was the only movie that I felt that nobody would be too upset over its elimination. The movie, "Kubo & the Two Strings", was released in 2016 where it starred big-name celebrity as the voice over -  Charlize Theron, Art Parkinson, Ralph Fiennes, George Takei, Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa, Brenda Vaccaro, Rooney Mara, and Matthew McConaughey. And as mentioned before, it feels pointless to always have big name celebrity as the voice-over actors when individual who does that for a living cannot never seem to get cast in a major picture. 

The movie takes place in feudal Japan where we are introduced to Kubo who takes care of his mother who is ill. He find a way to make a living by magically manipulating origami with his music - he gives the village a free concert where the majority of the songs tells a story about his father, a samurai warrior. Unable to finish the story because he does not know the ending of his father's life & his mother cannot seem to recall it - she does warn him to not be seen at night as her family may be after him. The storyline tend takes us to the Bon Festival where Kubo is able to speak to a deceased loved one - he is frustrated that his father does not appear from his lantern. He also forgets to return home from the festival where he is sent far away by his mother who used some magical power - he must find his father's armor. For the remainder of the movie, Kubo goes on adventure where some of his objects come alive & he try to reclaim some stuff. He is then reunited with his mother's father, Moon King, who ask him to give him his other eye to make him immortal which he refuses - he is then chased around where his spirits protect himself & the viallgers from Raiden aka Moon King. Will he be able to defeat Raiden? Read the rest of the plot on Wikipedia or watch the movie.

The movie was well-received by the critics and the audience where it was praised for its incredible animation & a storyline that has something to offer to audiences of all ages. While the movie was praised for the animation & storyline, it received a lot of criticism for the "whitewashing" of the movie due to the fact that the story was set in Japan but the majority of the cast/voice-over actor were white individuals for the exception of 2 actors who played minor characters - this confirm that this cut was a good one.

SAVING: LES AMOURS IMAGINAIRES / HEARTBEATS

Paddington 2

giphy.gif

I've seen Paddington when I was babysitting one of my cousin's kids and it was a great movie. I never got around to seeing Paddington 2 so this is an easy cut to make. I was also certain @totes4totes loved the Paddington series so I guess her fury comes with no bounds. :dead: And this coming after @Deeee telling me not to cut The Kids Are Alright to avoid her wrath. He had well intentions but she cut it anyway. :dead: BAMBOOZLED, I TELL YOU. Also, is that gif from Paddingon or Paddington 2? I really don't know. Moving on! Paddington 2 is a 2017 live-action animated comedy film directed by Paul King and written by Paul King and Simon Farnaby. The film is a sequel to Paddington which is based on the stories of the character Paddington Bear created by Michael Bond. The film is produced by Heyday Films and StudioCanal UK and distributed by StudioCanal. The movie stars Ben Whishaw as the voice of Paddington, Hugh Bonneville, Sally Hawkins, Brendan Gleeson, Julie Walters, Jim Broadbent, Peter Capaldi, and Hugh Grant. The film follows Paddington as he tries to get a present for his aunt's birthday but is somehow framed for a crime he did not commit. THE AUDACITY! I guess I would have to watch it to have more context. The film grossed $227 million worldwide. and received widespread critical acclaim. It has an approval rating of 100% on Rotten Tomatoes and is the highest-rated film on the site with with 238 positive reviews. Did I just cut the biggest threat to win this game? WOW. MY POWER. Maybe the original can stand a chance at staying though.

Save: Kingsman: The Secret Service

2 minutes ago, *Chris said:

The movie, "Kubo & the Two Strings", was released in 2016 where it starred big-name celebrity as the voice over -  Charlize Theron, Art Parkinson, Ralph Fiennes, George Takei, Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa, Brenda Vaccaro, Rooney Mara, and Matthew McConaughey.

love this movie. do not love that they got white actors to voice all the main roles (which are japanese!)

• Like 1

El Ángel (2018 dir. by Luis Ortega)

tumblr_pdn35apkVH1vpievmo1_500.gifv

An Argentine-Spanish true crime film that is inspired by the real life story of murderer, rapist, and abuser Carlos Robledo Puch, also known as "The Angel of Death" or "The Black Angel." He was convicted of eleven murders, one attempted murder, seventeen robberies, accomplice of one rape and one attempted rape, one count of sexual abuse, two kidnappings, and two thefts. As of 2020, he has served 48 years in prison, the longest sentencing of any Argentine individual. The film basically shows how he became involved in his horrific acts, portrayed as a 17-year-old teenager with the face of an angel that nobody can resist. Carlos meets Ramón in high school, and the two form a charming duo that communicate through killing and engaging in other violent acts.

The film was screed in the Un Certain Regard section at the 2018 Cannes Film Festival. Lorenzo Ferro portrays Puch. The film also stars Chino Darín, Mercedes Morán, Daniel Fanego, Luis Gnecco, Peter Lanzani, Cecilia Roth, and Malena Villa. The film was selected as the Argentine entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 91st Academy Awards, but it was not selected as a finalist nominee.

Though a film I have not seen, I have heard of El Ángel and have a few issues with its portrayal fo the murdered, hence why I have nominated it before. First of all, can we stop making films about real-life murderers? The glamorization and attention they receive is toxic and far too much for me. Secondly, the director decided to portray Puch as a "gay psychopath," which is actually not true in reality. So that raises a lot of questions for me. A LOT OF QUESTIONS.

The film currently has a 73% on Rotten Tomatoes and and 61/100 on Metacritic. The reviews mainly praise Ferro for his performance, but criticize the faithfulness of the biopic and the tone of the film. A fair cut in my opinion.

SAVING: A Separation

The Tree of Life

Thetreeoflifeposter.jpg

4pR1.gif

So if Megan wants to to act like she doesn't cut anybody's else's favorite movies when she actually does it, cool for her. But sacrificing my favorites for hers. Eh..... nope! So just nominate all my favorites and see how much I care. End of my Ted Talk 🙂

Anyways with that said I'm glad that I get to cut one of the movies that is actually not a favorite :haha: The Tree of Life is a 2011 experimental epic drama film directed by Terrence Malick. To be honest I nominated this film because when it premiered I tried to watch it and fall asleep and gave up after. The little I saw didn't appeal to me and I thought that maybe I should try to watch it again but then it is really hard to get me watch a 3 hours long movie, there's a reason why I watched The Irishman. The movie follows the story of a Texas family in the 50s and the life of the eldest son from his early childhood to his disillusioned adult years while trying to make amends with his father. The move featured an A-List cast with the likes of Brad Pitt, Jessica Chanstain and Sean Penn. The film made $60M against a budget of $30M, so the investment paid out. As for reviews, it was critically acclaimed by critics and nominated by a bunch of awards, winning Palme d'Or at Cannes. 

Saving How to train your Dragon

3f816193b4fab233c170e1a9c146cfca.gif

6 minutes ago, 1234567890 said:

It has an approval rating of 100% on Rotten Tomatoes and is the highest-rated film on the site with with 238 positive reviews. Did I just cut the biggest threat to win this game? WOW. MY POWER. Maybe the original can stand a chance at staying though.

We lost our winner!!!! LOL.