Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

1 minute ago, NGM said:

:dead:

I mean i'm not surprised I didn't know, I haven't really gone into the jungles in here (forest: yes, jungle: yeah no)

Me in my head: I would love to do jungle excursions.

Me when seeing a moth in my suburban neighborhood:

tumblr_o1btd2TR1N1r6poyho1_400.gif

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Deeee said:

Me in my head: I would love to do jungle excursions.

Me when seeing a moth in my suburban neighborhood:

tumblr_o1btd2TR1N1r6poyho1_400.gif

I only do tropical weathers if it involves a beach and free access to alcohol. Other formats: pass

NOMINATIONS

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

Whistleblower

Another Earth

Shame

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Magic Mike

Prometheus

Blue Jasmine

The Spectacular Now

The Tale of the Princess Kaguya

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

The Hateful Eight

Silence

Phantom Thread

Tigers Are Not Afraid

Overlord

tenor.gif?itemid=5057807

Blue Jasmine

Love Cate Blanchett, hate Woody Allen who we all know is a predator. There are better Cate Blanchett movies in this rankdown so this one can go. I think there are even better Sally Hawkins movies left in this rankdown, even after Shape of Water was so UNJUSTLY CUT. Anyway, Blue Jasmine is the story of a formerly rich Manhattan Socialite who has fallen on hard times and has to move in with her working class sister in San Francisco. IDK. Omigod it also stars Louis CK and Andrew Dice Clay. Throw this whole movie into the garbage. Cut out everything that makes up it except Sally Hawkins and Cate Blanchett. And then maybe we can talk again. It was critically very well-received when it came out in 2013 because people were still kind of pretending to not know that Woody Allen is a predator and Cate Blanchett actually won an Academy Award for her performance in the movie. IDK we can probably pretend that award was for her groundbreaking work in Carol instead. 

Saving: The Tale of Princess Kaguya which made me cry PROFUSELY when I watched it.

• Like 1

Phantom Thread (2017 dir. by Paul Thomas Anderson)

Daniel Day Lewis Sigh GIF by Phantom Thread

Phantom Thread has to be one of the most overrated and boring films I have ever had the displeasure of sitting through. Honestly. Sincerely. This film is the definition of a film that is trying to hard to garner award nominations. Normally, I do not care much considering I seek out those films, but this one felt way too try hard. An historical drama film, Phantom Thread is about a haute couture dressmaker who takes in a foreign waitress as his muse. RIVETING. 

I really wanted to enjoy this movie. Daniel Day-Lewis and Lesley Manville are phenomenal talents obviously. Paul Thomas Anderson is one of my favorite directors of all-time. But this film just did not do it for me! The acting is incredible all-around. The score is pretty brilliant. The costume design is top-notch. It's a very well-made film. This I cannot deny. There just is nothing exciting to watch about the movie though! It's like watching paint dry. 

In all honesty, the film just seemed to be an attempt to garner as many nominations as possible and send Daniel Day-Lewis off on some brilliant high note. Except this is one of his blandest roles to date? My opinion is very controversial, considering Phantom Thread is heralded as one of the best films of 2017. It appeared on every year-end list as one of the top 10 films of 2017. National Board of Review picked it as one of the best films of 2017. Critics lauded the film with universal praise for Daniel Day-Lewis' committed performance, as well as praising the "intoxicating" relationship between Day-Lewis and Krieps characters. 90/100 on Metacritic. 91% on Rotten Tomatoes. 85 award nominations with 25 wins, six Academy Award noms and two Golden Globe noms. It just feels like a period piece made for white Academy voters to eat up, and a film that I had to fight to stay awake during. 

But obviously I am in the minority on that one. Sorry to any fans. But there are far more captivating and groundbreaking films remaining in the game.

SAVING: Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

3 minutes ago, #jeah said:

Dee no Phantom Thread is amazing

2 minutes ago, totes4totes said:

yea idk what dee has against phantom thread

Yikes. Just saw these. Sorry. I would have left it alone had I seen these before I posted my write-up. :(

7 minutes ago, #jeah said:

Phantom Thread is one of those movies where you’re like “I don’t get the hype” for the first 2/3 and then the last part of the movie you’re like “okay this is the best movie ever”

The omelet should have killed him.