COVID-19 Discussion 😷

Rate this topic

istersay

56 minutes ago, sneaky said:

Been looking at Sweeden vs Michigan Covid results. Not the greatest comparision because Michigan has a more dense population but Sweeden has 1k less deaths even with a less strict approach than most of America. And their economy didnt crash like ours. Not so sure what we are doing is worth it.

Now granted America is also different because our healthcare system is worse than Scandinavia and our lifestyle health is much worse. This is going to trigger the righties on here but this country low key sucks.

Deaths per million. 

USA: 416 

Sweden: 547

And if you’re going to cherry pick a state, why not the one you live in?

Florida: 198  

——

FYI...

Canada: 233 - Much less densely populated than Florida, with much more strict lockdown policies. 

Having said that, I agree with you that shutting the economy down might not be worth it. 

Edited by TeamAudra

2 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

Deaths per million. 

——

FYI...

Canada: 233 - Much less densely populated than Florida, with much more strict lockdown policies. 

Having said that, I agree with you that shutting the economy down might not be worth it. 

Because MI and Sweden have a similar population size.

And Florida is not doing well now. Growing by 15k cases a day, hospitals are full

https://www.wfla.com/community/health/coronavirus/5-pinellas-county-hospitals-reach-max-icu-capacity/

On 7/11/2020 at 10:39 PM, RWG said:

They're pretty open-ended about what phase 3 entails. The language on the government website is "continue gradual re-opening with appropriate restrictions in place" yadda yadda. I don't think they'll go much further with bars and restaurants, given what a gongshow the U.S. has become with cases. The important thing is childcare/school.

I don't think bars are even open here😆 but stage 3 includes, gyms, indoor dining, outdoor facilities like playgrounds.  Yeah school is set to reopen in September with a size of 15 max and it would rotate kids.  I still wonder what they're gonna duo for extra curricular activities and high school will be a challenge lol

Question: So how do you all feel with people not wearing masks?

Masks are made mandatory here but there are still some that don't wear them for example, I'll go in the grocery store and no one wears a mask except me and our beaches recently reopened, it was busy but no masks

20 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

Deaths per million. 

——

FYI...

Some perspective on Canada's numbers: long term care homes were completely ravaged.

As of late May, 81% of all deaths in Canada were linked to long term care facilities, which is about double the world average:
https://www.cihi.ca/sites/default/files/document/covid-19-rapid-response-long-term-care-snapshot-en.pdf?emktg_lang=en&emktg_order=1

If this pandemic has done anything in Canada, it's done a great job exposing the abysmal conditions in some of these facilities (both privately and publicly owned). 

Outside of that we fared a lot better. However, there is no picking and choosing numbers which you like, sadly. The cases and deaths in each state, province, and country reflect the shortfalls in each respective location.

47 minutes ago, ButterflyEffect said:

Some perspective on Canada's numbers: long term care homes were completely ravaged.

As of late May, 81% of all deaths in Canada were linked to long term care facilities, which is about double the world average:
https://www.cihi.ca/sites/default/files/document/covid-19-rapid-response-long-term-care-snapshot-en.pdf?emktg_lang=en&emktg_order=1

If this pandemic has done anything in Canada, it's done a great job exposing the abysmal conditions in some of these facilities (both privately and publicly owned). 

Outside of that we fared a lot better. However, there is no picking and choosing numbers which you like, sadly. The cases and deaths in each state, province, and country reflect the shortfalls in each respective location.

In areas with any significant level of population density, I’m not sure there’s any way of stopping it. Even areas with strict lockdowns have had their share of problems, because those who are still able to work carry it home and infect their relatives. We’d need to lock everyone down for months to make it disappear, and then we’d have even bigger problems. The vaccine is of course the answer, and that’s not guaranteed any time soon. 

Edited by TeamAudra

23 hours ago, sneaky said:

Been looking at Sweeden vs Michigan Covid results. Not the greatest comparision because Michigan has a more dense population but Sweeden has 1k less deaths even with a less strict approach than most of America. And their economy didnt crash like ours. Not so sure what we are doing is worth it.

Now granted America is also different because our healthcare system is worse than Scandinavia and our lifestyle health is much worse. This is going to trigger the righties on here but this country low key sucks.

Yup!  And, Sweden didn't destroy their businesses, on top of that.  :mellow:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/28-companies-that-have-filed-for-bankruptcy-since-the-pandemic-began-and-13-that-could-be-next/ss-BB16Gk

21 hours ago, FunkyFrankie said:

I don't think bars are even open here😆 but stage 3 includes, gyms, indoor dining, outdoor facilities like playgrounds.  Yeah school is set to reopen in September with a size of 15 max and it would rotate kids.  I still wonder what they're gonna duo for extra curricular activities and high school will be a challenge lol

I miss my neighbourhood pub and the gym, but yeah, no thanks.

The restaurants and bars in my area that are all open for outdoor dining have the makeshift patios on the sidewalk, and none of them seem full or that there's a wait to get in. The city has been surprisingly good about closing down the outer lanes of traffic so that places can use them for seating. Obviously that won't work in the winter though.

11 hours ago, FunkyFrankie said:

Question: So how do you all feel with people not wearing masks?

Masks are made mandatory here but there are still some that don't wear them for example, I'll go in the grocery store and no one wears a mask except me and our beaches recently reopened, it was busy but no masks

I don't know what part of the province you're in, but in every grocery store, drug store, etc. I've been in since they enacted the mask bylaw, everyone has been wearing a mask. And I haven't seen anyone making a scene about being asked to wear one either.

(The obvious exception being these people):

Edited by RWG

Masks in the Twin Cities: It depends on the part of town. It’s not mandated, but some businesses require them. There’s definitely some resistance from some people, but I’m actually seeing less of that as of late. At a grocery store in the suburb I live in, it’s probably 80%. For a while, I didn’t wear one in the stores, and never once received a dirty look (I would have noticed).  Now, I wear one in the store. I stay away from everyone, and I don’t loiter. I grab what I need and get out. For work, I have to wear a mask for stretches, but not all day. I don’t work in an office. My daily contacts are typically meeting with 1-3 people at a time. I’m not one of those who wears a mask in their car.  LOL.  

16 minutes ago, mercfan3 said:

It's cute when people on twitter pretend to understand how statistics work. 

CA messed up though. But NYC has flattened their curve for the time being.

Florida is in trouble.

LOL. I don’t think you even realize how politically biased you are. New York was a disaster, and they’re responsible for most of what’s going on around the country now. Trump messed up by not implementing the travel ban out of New York. Of course, Cuomo threatened to take it to court. 

Edited by TeamAudra

2 hours ago, RWG said:

I miss my neighbourhood pub and the gym, but yeah, no thanks.

The restaurants and bars in my area that are all open for outdoor dining have the makeshift patios on the sidewalk, and none of them seem full or that there's a wait to get in. The city has been surprisingly good about closing down the outer lanes of traffic so that places can use them for seating. Obviously that won't work in the winter though.

I don't know what part of the province you're in, but in every grocery store, drug store, etc. I've been in since they enacted the mask bylaw, everyone has been wearing a mask. And I haven't seen anyone making a scene about being asked to wear one either.

😆 Oooh stage 3 is set to happen on Friday.  Is your province there yet? Apparently, Alberta is

I guess it's restaurants and bars but dancing isI', in't allowed yet.  They're also allowing a max of 50 people inside and 100 out

I'm in London, ON. OOOh you have to have one in hospitals, they make you answer questions too 

2 hours ago, FunkyFrankie said:

oh the movies are reopening on Friday too 

I think our theatres are still closed, though a lot of other things have re-opened (albeit at reduced capacities). But we only have 1 active case in the entire province which was related to work travel to Texas, so things are pretty safe.....for now anyway.

Watch it. Or don't. But, I HIGHLY recommend, that you do. It's a video by Dr. Carrie Medej. Her video got taken down, but several other people put it back up. So, for now ... this one is up. If it gets taken down, I will replace it, as there are already 5 other copies of it out there