The Voice 17 ● Live Top 8 Eliminations ● Discussion

istersay

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, people just should accept the fact that the diva type is not popular among the voters. Two of my favorite genres; Rock and Indie folk/pop, aren't popular either, but I don't see threads complaining like "Will a indie folk girl ever win The Voice? Is America ukuleleist?" you know :haha:

Racism exists, but that's not the main issue here.

I don't think there is any doubt that there is a portion of the audience that would never vote for an AA...but it is disappointing to me that some people on here constantly have to tear down past winners (particularly the teens) in order to try to prove their point. It's not within their control. Let's just put the blame where it really lies....with a bunch of uneducated, close minded 60 somethings living in their own probably very unhappy world...and leave it at that.

Oh and speaking of AA male contestants. I stanned Matt Schuler. He was an awesome indie/alt rocker and he could've been a finalist if Christina hadn't decided to stereotype him with "When a Man Loves a Woman" in the top 6. :rolleyes: Totally NOT his genre.

IMO, people just should accept the fact that the diva type is not popular among the voters. Two of my favorite genres; Rock and Indie folk/pop, aren't popular either, but I don't see threads complaining like "Will a indie folk girl ever win The Voice? Is America ukuleleist?" you know :haha:

I agree with this, my type of artist is exactly what's being discussed around here, black female powerhouses. I gave up a long time ago trying to defend this case. In reality there's what you said and there's nothing we can do about it, so now I just sit back and watch my snowflakes perform on whatever rounds they survive.

Edited by fredcr123

AA, white, Asian....whatever they are, what’s really important is whether the people claiming to be outraged support them after the show. Where they place on the show is meaningless, if they can’t follow it up with a meaningful career. On than note, I’m going to download Koryn Hawthorne’s album into my Apple Music library and listen to it in my car today. I wasn’t her fan in the show, and I don’t even particularly like Gospel music, but it’s hard not to be impressed with her career trajectory, so I feel like I owe it to her to listen at least once.

AA, white, Asian....whatever they are, what’s really important is whether the people claiming to be outraged support them after the show. Where they place on the show is meaningless, if they can’t follow it up with a meaningful career. On than note, I’m going to download Koryn Hawthorne’s album into my Apple Music library and listen to it in my car today. I wasn’t her fan in the show, and I don’t even particularly like Gospel music, but it’s hard not to be impressed with her career trajectory, so I feel like I owe it to her to listen at least once.

I’m through most of Koryn’s album.

I like a couple of the songs quite a bit, tbh. Next time they want to showcase a diva on the show, they should have them sing “Speak the Name” in the pimp spot. It would have worked well for Rose, IMO. Maybe even PV.

Edited by TeamAudra

What a brilliant analogy. Those contestants are usually white teenagers or young adults, and if they’re lucky enough to not get bussed or montaged, they have a hard time getting viewers to vote for them. Black divas are waaaaay more popular with the audience than that group.

I think 18+ females have a tougher road than teens or males of any age, in general. Even 18-29 year old males of any genre struggle more than the mid-30s country/blues/soul types.

Edited by TeamAudra

What a brilliant analogy. Those contestants are usually white teenagers or young adults, and if they’re lucky enough to not get bussed or montaged, they have a hard time getting viewers to vote for them. Black divas are waaaaay more popular with the audience than that group.

I think 18+ females have a tougher road than teens or males of any age, in general. Even 18-29 year old males of any genre struggle more than the mid-30s country/blues/soul types.

I just wish the demographics (and idf) could appreciate more than a few types of genres. The main voting demographic has a main bias toward rock singers (when not buzzed), and country singers, especially males, indie guys, and pop and sometimes country girls. While idf has a bias against the majority of country men, most r&b males, and toward indie guys/rock guys, and country girls. Indie girls are a wildcard, because usually they have a wide amount of support and opponents both on idf and in the main voting demographic. Both IDF have a bias against most other genres, such as most crooners, reggae singers, and Latin singers who sing 25-75 percent of their songs in Spanish. I enjoy artist of many diffidence types. Sure I may have a slight bias for quirky contestants and against most male indie artists, but I am open to that genre at least. And I appreciate a variety of different genres like rock (Manny Cabo, Ricky Duran), Soul (Ricky Braddy, Kymberly Joey), country (Red Marlow, Adam Wakefield, Brennely Brown), and other genres (Riley Elmore, Josette Diaz, Christian Cuevas, Kiara Brown, Royce Lovett, Will Brenna, etc.) I mean besides, there’s so many more genres around the world not covered in the voice yet that could make for great television and great performances.

Do you think Kirk Jay lasted longer than he should have because of country and being Team Blake? Because as awesome as he was at the start of the show, his performances were on a serious decline in the back half.

Yes, easily. He was obviously pimped to try to get higher than Chris who had insane voting power, but that backfired and cost them Kennedy a PV. With also robbing Makenzie :angry:

Do you think Kirk Jay lasted longer than he should have because of country and being Team Blake? Because as awesome as he was at the start of the show, his performances were on a serious decline in the back half.

They kept giving him late spots and pimp spots, calling his name first, 4 chair standing Os, etc. As a result, everyone seemed to think he was winning, but when it came down to it, he didn’t even have enough votes to beat his own teammate who had an invisible fanbase. I still don’t understand why they did that. Perhaps the poor performances finally caught up to him, and many of his country votes defected to Chris and Chevel.

You really don't get sarcasm. Hence the emoji.

You mean the totally serious I agree with you eye-rolling emoji. Again, thanks for the back up. You’re too kind.

This isn't gonna end well... :ph34rwave:

What isn’t. Two folks rallying behind are s14 favorite, Kirk jay? I think it ended perfectly.