The American Politics Thread!

Rate this topic

istersay

In Alabama, Tommy Tuberville has defeated Jeff Sessions in a runoff to become the Republican Senate nominee against incumbent Doug Jones in November. 

John Lewis was an incredible American hero and politician. 

I can't even begin to fathom what this meant to him. 

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2020/07/18/rep-john-lewis-presidential-medal-of-freedom-bernice-king-ctn-sot-vpx.cnn

I agree with Kamala - Mitch needs to put forward Lewis' Voting Rights Act of 2020 for a vote, and rename it the John Lewis Act. Give that man what he spent his entire career fighting for. 

1 hour ago, mercfan3 said:

August 1. 

IMO it’s Kamala or Tammy. 

Both great choices to be Co-President

Yes, I didn’t know he was going to take until the deadline he set for himself publicly. I almost think it would help to get that person out there actively doing things straight away. 

I’ve predicted Kamala and I’ll stick with my prediction. I’ve been wrong for every one of these going back to 2004, by the way. But perhaps lightning will finally strike. 

Oh, new poll out today from WP has Biden opening up a 15 point lead over Trump nationally. Not to put too much stock in the polls, but that’s pretty notable. 

20 hours ago, mercfan3 said:

You guessed Tim Kaine wrong? 

I didn't WANT it to be Tim Kaine, but pretty much every publication said that was who she was going with. 

I wonder if things would have been different if she chose Booker

Oh, I got that one right. It was a very safe pick for sure, but to your point ...a Booker pick might have changed things. Who can say? 

So, final 5 for VP are..(With Biden strongly hinting that his VP pick will be a woman of color) 

Whitmore

Harris

Rice

Bass

Duckworth

Again, I think Harris and Duckworth do the most for Biden. 

I like Rice, and wouldn't be shocked if she was the pick at all. (She's my third guess) She's an Obama admin person. But I think she does the least for him. They're both foreign policy experts. 

Bass and Whitmore are unlikely, IMO. Bass is relatively unknown. In most elections, that's fine..but I think Biden needs a "name" this year. Whitmore is a governor in a state that could vote in a Republican Governor..and she's relatively new. Probably unwise to choose her. 

edit: Some publications are saying Demings instead of Bass. I'd put her in the group with Bass and Whitmore too. 

Edited by mercfan3

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2020 at 9:02 AM, Drew said:

Yes, I agree with this as well. Harris and Duckworth are the final two. An argument can be made for either. 

Actually, Duckworth appears to be out. She was announced as a co-chair at the convention. 

I read earlier this week that Karen Bass was surging up the list of potential nominees. I don't think they needed to do too much of a scrub to cross her off.

I know she addresses them in the second person, but the ad still writes itself.

Edited by RWG

The bigger issue with her is the Castro comments when Democrats would really like to win Florida. I don't think either is a big deal. 

It doesn't matter though. Whoever Biden picks is about to be torn to shreds over something stupid. Round two of "..But her emails" 

IMO Rice is the most problematic of the bunch. She's never ran for anything - and picking her just rehashes the Clinton administration and Benghazi. 

Thanks for telling me that about Duckworth. I've been off the grid for a while on vacation, so just getting caught up on things now. 

I can actually see him picking Rice too. She doesn't have any real political ambitions of her own. Biden would be a one and done kind of guy, so a pair of those run together to try and right the ship in the eyes of many and then have a clean slate in 2024 to return to the policy debates between Democrats and Republicans. 

...I still say it's Kamala though, lol. 

8 hours ago, Drew said:

Thanks for telling me that about Duckworth. I've been off the grid for a while on vacation, so just getting caught up on things now. 

I can actually see him picking Rice too. She doesn't have any real political ambitions of her own. Biden would be a one and done kind of guy, so a pair of those run together to try and right the ship in the eyes of many and then have a clean slate in 2024 to return to the policy debates between Democrats and Republicans. 

...I still say it's Kamala though, lol. 

Right - that makes no sense for Democrats to do that. This idea that we don't want the VP chosen to have political ambitions is crazy. No - we want Biden's choice to be someone who could potentially be a frontrunner in the next Democratic primary. (Either 2024 or 2028). The old Dem guard..is..well..old. Biden/Pelosi/Clinton/Obama...the party needs to move forward. Biden has the opportunity to bring forth new talent. He needs to fill his cabinet positions with both the old guard..and the Harris/Beto/Pete/Booker/Murphy/Gillibrand/Abrams/Castro group (AOC if possible) etc....So that they aren't inexperienced when they HAVE to take over. 

The VP should want to run for President. If Rice wants a run - that's a reason to pick her. If she doesn't..that's a reason not to. (Of course, what we're seeing right now is everyone who doesn't want Harris as the frontrunner heading into the next Democratic Primary freaking out and putting out negative leaks about her). 

Edited by mercfan3

Recent Joe Biden Quote:

And by the way, what you all know, but most people don’t know, unlike the African American community, with notable exceptions, the Latino community is an incredibly diverse community with incredibly different attitudes about different things

Never change, Joe.

But Elizabeth and Bernie were the ones who only care about whites, apparently. Imagine if they said that.

Ridiculous. It would be nice if he changed some. 

No one said Elizabeth and Bernie were the ONLY ones who only care about white people. Biden was higher on my list than those two because of his healthcare plan and choice in team members, not social justice issues. 

17 hours ago, mercfan3 said:

Ridiculous. It would be nice if he changed some. 

No one said Elizabeth and Bernie were the ONLY ones who only care about white people. Biden was higher on my list than those two because of his healthcare plan and choice in team members, not social justice issues. 

I've barely heard anything about it. Be it Trump, Bernie , or Elizabeth all three would have been roasted for days. Just interesting that the Democratic party decided to crown this guy above all others. Makes you wonder what they actually care about 

6 hours ago, sneaky said:

I've barely heard anything about it. Be it Trump, Bernie , or Elizabeth all three would have been roasted for days. Just interesting that the Democratic party decided to crown this guy above all others. Makes you wonder what they actually care about 

Then you're looking at the wrong people. But, TBH, the way he and his vetting team (Chris Dodd in particular) are treating the women (and in particular, woc) during the vetting process is far worse than Biden's comment. 

But at the same time, it's what we've got. Joe or Donald. Pick one. I'm not going to let Joe Biden distract me from voting for Joe Biden. 

And Bernie, Elizabeth, and Trump would definitely not have been roasted for days. Donald literally gets away with everything. If any other politician had done what he has done, they would have been removed from office. Period.

And people just ignore the problematic stuff Bernie and Elizabeth do. I bet I can name about 15 things each have done that are significantly worse than Biden's comment, that you haven't even heard of.