The American Politics Thread!

Rate this topic

istersay

31 minutes ago, ButterflyEffect said:

Where I live is clearly stated under my avatar. If you think I live on PEI then you may want to do a double check.

I am still confused how living in PEI is relevant to his arguments. 

45 minutes ago, ButterflyEffect said:

So you've clearly ignored the last 10+ pages of this thread, showing peaceful protesters and onlookers (including media members) being assaulted and nearly murdered,. I don't have time or sympathy for those who have taken advantage of the situation to loot, riot, and destroy property for fun. I also have no sympathy for the police who have demonstrated they are exactly what people are protesting against.

Where I live is clearly stated under my avatar. If you think I live on PEI then you may want to do a double check.

I only use mobile for this site, so I had to actually open your profile to see that. 

Anyway, it’s interesting that you’re willing to separate legitimate protestors from rioters, but you won’t separate the good police officers from the few bad ones. As for the last 10 pages of this thread, I could have filled them with videos of loser antifa and BLM activists treating both black and white police officers like garbage. I don’t know how they’re able to show so much restraint. 

Edited by TeamAudra

25 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

I only use mobile for this site, so I had to actually open your profile to see that. 

Anyway, it’s interesting that you’re willing to separate legitimate protestors from rioters, but you won’t separate the good police officers from the few bad ones. As for the last 10 pages of this thread, I could have filled them with videos of loser antifa and BLM activists treating both black and white police officers like garbage. I don’t know how they’re able to show so much restraint. 

So, I’m just going to keep it real. These are civil servants. In other words, they work for us, members of the community. It’s not the other way around. Folks shouldn’t be in fear for their lives. That’s the issue I have. 

Being gay, I have folks all over my social media feed saying things like police shouldn’t be permitted at Pride celebrations. I understand the logic and feeling behind it, but I don’t completely agree with that. Perhaps not in uniform, but the spirit of the time to me inclusivity, not exclusivity. So while I do think police brutality, systemic racism, white privilege are all valid and real, I think we need to be even-handed about this. If a member of the police force is supportive of LGBT folks or even a member of the community themselves, let’s welcome them. If anyone disagrees, feel free to say so. Just kind of my two cents on that. 

On the flip side, do you know how much money a police officer on detail makes? Think directing traffic due to construction or a whole slew of scenarios that put them in a pretty stationary position for a considerable amount of time. I’ll be diplomatic, more than they deserve. More than I or many other people that have worked in customer service make to get screamed at and in that situation, they’re not exactly at risk. They signed up for it’s a job. I’m glad they’re here, but they’re not the aggrieved party exactly, especially when you consider the sheer number of black folks that have been murdered. Parts of it are risky, but you don’t get to mitigate that risk by consistently using excessive force, up to and including deadly force if it’s not warranted. It’s reasonable to expect there to be safeguards in place to remedy that. 

Not to say there aren’t outside agitators on the left and right, I do think that’s a reality whenever you have unrest like this. Others are going to try and take advantage of an already tense situation. 

^
There’s way too much to unpack there, and I’m tired. I’ll just say I doubt very much you truly believe everything you wrote. Everyone knows it’s dangerous job, particularly if they work the streets in a large city. They couldn’t pay me enough to put up with the bullsh*t. 

9 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

^
There’s way too much to unpack there, and I’m tired. I’ll just say I doubt very much you truly believe everything you wrote. Everyone knows it’s dangerous job, particularly if they work the streets in a large city. They couldn’t pay me enough to put up with the bullsh*t. 

There are a lot of dangerous jobs. Working on an oil rig is more dangerous for example. They also choose to it. What about customer service? I've certainly put up with a lot in my time. The difference is, I don't get to use excessive force and be given the benefit of the doubt, nor do I make a lot of money. Why do you hold these people to different standard and place them in a separate category? 

8 hours ago, Jonathan said:

I eventually want to see a poll with likely voters though, they all seem to be registered voters which doesn't tell us a lot. 

Breaking now that former HP CEO and 2016 Republican presidential candidate is voting for former Vice President Joe Biden in November. 

“As citizens, our vote is more than a check on a box. You know, it’s a statement about where we want to go, and I think what we need now actually is real leadership that can unify the country,” she added. “I am encouraged that Joe Biden is a person of humility and empathy and character. I think he’s demonstrated that through his life. And I think we need humility and empathy everywhere in public life right now. And I think character counts.”

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/504461-fiorina-planning-to-vote-for-biden?fbclid=IwAR1RwUEsI_ufQWDQW2kJEMdQTTm8KzruT8lP3cKCtYR7KwPpYqcxMh7xnLk

16 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

I have made comments in this thread the past few weeks regarding good vs bad officers. You may also note that I'm not running around, screaming about defunding the police. However, your absolute incapability to acknowledge that the police have been completely out of line with dealing with peaceful protesters AND bystanders/media members says all I need to know. The strange fetishism of the police by the right wing is truly bizarre. They scream about freedom and civil rights, and then they don't blink an eye when police open fire on people standing on their front deck or assaulting/arresting members of the media who are just doing their jobs. The irony is almost laughable.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, *Chris said:

I am still confused how living in PEI is relevant to his arguments. 

It's an attempt to de-legitimize any argument I make because I'd be from some backwoods middle of nowhere place that just doesn't understand what's actually happening.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ButterflyEffect said:

It's an attempt to de-legitimize any argument I make because I'd be from some backwoods middle of nowhere place that just doesn't understand what's actually happening.

Get outta here with your single payer healthcare system, you commie.

1 hour ago, ButterflyEffect said:

I have made comments in this thread the past few weeks regarding good vs bad officers. You may also note that I'm not running around, screaming about defunding the police. However, your absolute incapability to acknowledge that the police have been completely out of line with dealing with peaceful protesters AND bystanders/media members says all I need to know. The strange fetishism of the police by the right wing is truly bizarre. They scream about freedom and civil rights, and then they don't blink an eye when police open fire on people standing on their front deck or assaulting/arresting members of the media who are just doing their jobs. The irony is almost laughable.

No, I did acknowledge that some of that is unnecessary. As for the incident with the lady on the deck getting pelted with a rubber bullet....it wasn’t a cop. That was National Guard. A friend of my daughter’s actually lives next door. The good news is, the widespread looting, arson, and anarchy stopped that night. It literally took about an hour once the National Guard showed up. They don’t mess around.  

I don’t have a fetishism for the police, but I feel like a little balance is needed, among the constant “they’re all pigs” rhetoric. I’m here to provide that. Honestly, I’ve been holding back. 

53 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

I don’t have a fetishism for the police, but I feel like a little balance is needed, among the constant “they’re all pigs” rhetoric. I’m here to provide that. Honestly, I’ve been holding back. 

But who here is saying that? Most mainstream folks aren't talking about defunding the police. What have you been holding back? Police should be trained on how to deescalate difficult situations, usually that's part of it. 

19 minutes ago, Drew said:

But who here is saying that? Most mainstream folks aren't talking about defunding the police. What have you been holding back? Police should be trained on how to deescalate difficult situations, usually that's part of it. 

If you page go several pages, a couple people said pretty much that. Do I really need to name them? Otherwise, it’s the general sentiment among the left. I’m not only talking about IDF. 

25 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

If you page go several pages, a couple people said pretty much that. Do I really need to name them? Otherwise, it’s the general sentiment among the left. I’m not only talking about IDF. 

But, are you saying the majority of folks that make up the base of the Democratic Party really share these views?

7 minutes ago, Drew said:

But, are you saying the majority of folks that make up the base of the Democratic Party really share these views?

I said “the left.” I don’t know which party they belong to, if any, but my guess is most of them will be voting for Biden.  

On 6/24/2020 at 1:31 PM, TeamAudra said:

cops do need to be held more accoutble though so we dont get another george floyd or Breona Taylor. no need to shoot blindly into someones house like that. 

nvm

Edited by bswanson

On 6/25/2020 at 1:08 PM, TeamAudra said:

What so is radical about wanting to move part some funding in one line item in a city budget (e.g., policing) to other ones? It is a pretty standard exercise, when the item at issue is anything other than policing.

On 6/25/2020 at 6:24 PM, Jonathan said:

It's almost like Biden is running against an impeached president during a period of civil unrest at the mouth of an economic depression.

20 hours ago, ButterflyEffect said:

So....what exactly is the argument against Washington DC becoming a state?

republicans would lose some political power. Same argument for lack of statehood for PR.

They like the Structural advantage they have even if it isn’t representative of the people.

1 hour ago, mercfan3 said:

republicans would lose some political power. Same argument for lack of statehood for PR.

They like the Structural advantage they have even if it isn’t representative of the people.

You’re well aware there’s a Constitutional argument against statehood for DC. If DC was predominantly conservative, you and all other Democrats would absolutely be opposed.