The American Politics Thread!

Rate this topic

istersay

I was very certain that Trump would run away with the election. Obviously there's still a lot of time left between now and the actual election, and if the economy rebounds and the civil unrest dissipates then you're likely to see a much closer race. However, there is no doubt in my mind that if the election were held today that it would be a landslide victory for Joe Biden and the Democrats.

The thing is the election isn't today. When it's go-time and both Biden and Trump get out of the gate you better hope that Biden has some sort of plan and some sort of image for his America. Elections can't be won on a campaign of "I'm not Trump".

This “defund the police” campaign is potentially a huge problem for Biden and the rest of the Democrats. Nobody, outside of a few radicals wants to eliminate police departments and/or reduce funding.. Trump is going to make hay with that from now until November. It’s this cycle’s “wall,” but with strong bipartisan opposition. 

2 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

This “defund the police” campaign is potentially a huge problem for Biden and the rest of the Democrats. Nobody, outside of a few radicals wants to eliminate police departments and/or reduce funding.. Trump is going to make hay with that from now until November. It’s this cycle’s “wall,” but with strong bipartisan opposition. 

Biden did state his opposition to this though. How much more equivocal could someone be? I agree though that Donald could weaponize this and people might believe it. 

5 hours ago, Drew said:

The polling certainly looks that way, but we know how much stock to put in the polls when Donald is involved, lol. It's purely anecdotal but many of my friends who support him and even begrudgingly still view him as the lesser of two evils won't discuss it with their friends because people can't discuss issues now and have rational discussions. We will have to see. 

The polls weren't wrong last time though. 

The national poll had Clinton up by 2/3%. That's what she won the popular vote by. 

The pollsters virtually ignored the blue state that went red, and didn't bother to do proper polling. Nate was the only one who noticed there might be trouble for Clinton, given the limited data. 

The state polls were also unable to accurately calculate the damage Comey did because it happened so late. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Drew said:

Biden did state his opposition to this though. How much more equivocal could someone be? I agree though that Donald could weaponize this and people might believe it. 

When he picks Kamala for VP, that'll help as well. She's got a strong voice in this fight, as shown in the video. 

Again, extreme leftists are loud voices on social media - they aren't even the norm for Democrats. And God knows why they chose "defund the police" as opposed to "demilitarize the police" if they were looking for flashy slogans..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mercfan3 said:

When he picks Kamala for VP, that'll help as well. She's got a strong voice in this fight, as shown in the video. 

Again, extreme leftists are loud voices on social media - they aren't even the norm for Democrats. And God knows why they chose "defund the police" as opposed to "demilitarize the police" if they were looking for flashy slogans..

Some of the “defund the police” advocates are elected officials, like 9/12 Minneapolis City Council members. It’s spreading to other cities. 

19 minutes ago, mercfan3 said:

I'm starting to believe she's the right one to be the running mate too. I know the other choices that have been floated, but she's the only one that can speak to this issue and step into the role of president if needed. 

8 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Some of the “defund the police” advocates are elected officials, like 9/12 Minneapolis City Council members. It’s spreading to other cities. 

Some elected officials are of the "extreme" or "alt" left variety....similar to Republicans. Difference is, the DNC hasn't lost power to them - yet. 

22 minutes ago, mercfan3 said:

The polls weren't wrong last time though. 

The national poll had Clinton up by 2/3%. That's what she won the popular vote by. 

The pollsters virtually ignored the blue state that went red, and didn't bother to do proper polling. Nate was the only one who noticed there might be trouble for Clinton, given the limited data. 

The state polls were also unable to accurately calculate the damage Comey did because it happened so late. 

This is true. 🤗

I ultimately don’t think the Minneapolis City Council will eliminate the police department. There’s overwhelming opposition in the city, and they have no plan, other than spending the money on social programs. They’re making fools of themselves, and they don’t even know it.  90% of America is laughing at them. 

BTW, this is what I was talking about the other day....if you endorse BLM, “defund the police” is part of the deal. This is their baby. 

Edited by TeamAudra

10 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

I ultimately don’t think the Minneapolis City Council will eliminate the police department. There’s overwhelming opposition in the city, and they have no plan, other than spending the money on social programs. They’re making fools of themselves, and they don’t even know it.  90% of America is laughing at them. 

BTW, this is what I was talking about the other day....if you endorse BLM, “defund the police” is part of the deal. This is their baby. 

Speaking very broadly and generally because I'm far from well versed on this, I think the gripe is how militarized the police have become. I wouldn't defund them, but perhaps streamline. How many of our individual small towns and cities might have equipment like this? And for what? It should be disturbing to anyone regardless of party. You get into the equipment they have and ammunition that has but a single purpose and it isn't to hunt animals. Could be getting a bit off track when it comes to your original issue, but yeah. 

10 minutes ago, Drew said:

Speaking very broadly and generally because I'm far from well versed on this, I think the gripe is how militarized the police have become. I wouldn't defund them, but perhaps streamline. How many of our individual small towns and cities might have equipment like this? And for what? It should be disturbing to anyone regardless of party. You get into the equipment they have and ammunition that has but a single purpose and it isn't to hunt animals. Could be getting a bit off track when it comes to your original issue, but yeah. 

Are you referring to SWAT teams? I’m also speaking broadly and generally, but some situations do call for that. If some of the bad guys have the equipment, the police need it too, otherwise the bad guys take over.  Anyway...if there is a valid argument to be made there, it’s been drowned out by “defund the police.” 

Disagree.

• Like 1

Yeah. Why would the most extreme define them? 

BLM is about ending police brutality. Defunding the police is certainly a way to do that - but I think most members and most people in support of the movement  don’t agree with that.

Drew is correct, one issue is the militarization (with limited training). 

People are advocating for changes to police and criminal justice systems. Not “no police.” “No police” will never happen. 

I wonder why people don’t react as strongly to defunding education - states and federal government (Exception being Clinton - even Obama screwed up here) have been doing that for years..

• Like 2

Just like if we support BLM, we are all crazy leftish? 🙄

43 minutes ago, *Chris said:

Just like if we support BLM, we are all crazy leftish? 🙄

It is a left wing group, so I expect those on the left to disagree with me and support them. Do y’all support black Republican/conservative groups? Of course not. 

Edited by TeamAudra

1 minute ago, TeamAudra said:

It is a left wing group, so I expect those on the left to disagree with me and support them. Do y’all support black Republican/conservative groups? Of course not. 

But I am not on the left and I disagree with you. 

20 minutes ago, *Chris said:

But I am not on the left and I disagree with you. 

You’re not? I apologize for making that assumption. I haven’t seen you post positive things about conservative points of view, but I haven’t read these forums consistently over the years. 

I guess you could say in addition to being mostly conservative, I’m anti-politician and politics in general. I’ve developed an almost equal dislike for both parties. I also hate most special interest groups, and often question their motives. This is not limited to leftist groups. 

1 minute ago, TeamAudra said:

You’re not? I apologize for making that assumption. I haven’t seen you post positive things about conservative points of view, but I haven’t read these forums consistently over the years. 

I guess you could say in addition to being mostly conservative, I’m anti-politician and politics in general. I’ve developed an almost equal dislike for both parties. I also hate most special interest groups, and often question their motives. This is not limited to leftist groups. 

Because I don't think republicans or conservatives in the US represents conservatism to me.  If I were american, I would consider myself more moderate / center to the right. 

In Canada, I'm very much of a conservative - we have the term progressive conservative here which I feel represent who I am. 

2 hours ago, mercfan3 said:

Yeah. Why would the most extreme define them? 

BLM is about ending police brutality. Defunding the police is certainly a way to do that - but I think most members and most people in support of the movement  don’t agree with that.

Drew is correct, one issue is the militarization (with limited training). 

People are advocating for changes to police and criminal justice systems. Not “no police.” “No police” will never happen. 

I wonder why people don’t react as strongly to defunding education - states and federal government (Exception being Clinton - even Obama screwed up here) have been doing that for years..

Until they poll the members, we’ll never know. What matters to me is they’re promoting it on their social media and have a #DefundThePolice petition on their website. They were tweeting about it before you told me no sane person supports it. They seem to have a lot of power over Democrat officials in some areas, including Minneapolis. You saw what happened when the Mayor refused to say he supports abolishing the police...”go home, Jacob, go home...”  So, yeah...ending police brutality...obviously good. Some of the politics and left wing policies that go along with it, like we’re discussing here...no thanks. 

Edited by TeamAudra