The American Politics Thread!

Rate this topic

istersay

Watching the Trump rally in Oklahoma. I wouldn’t be so sure about Biden winning this election. Trump stayed on script with his teleprompter, and was at the top of his game. As I predicted, he’s hanging the violence, anarchy, and “defund the police” movement around the neck of Democrats. It’s low hanging fruit. If his rallies between now and November are all like this one, he’s going to be tough to beat. It wasn’t like the 2016 rallies where he just said whatever was on his mind for two hours. It was a prepared speech, and it was very effective. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him more energetic, which is a sharp contrast to what we’re going to see from Biden. 

Edited by TeamAudra

Imagine if you were one of the 30,000 Seattle residents who live inside this zone that has been taken over by these far left extremist groups. Or, a business owner. This is unbelievable. None of us would have believed this is possible just a month ago. The Governor and Mayor (both Democrats, of course) are fine with it. :huh:

———-

NEWS

My terrifying five-day stay inside Seattle’s cop-free CHAZ

https://nypost.com/2020/06/20/my-terrifying-5-day-stay-inside-seattles-autonomous-zone/

Edited by TeamAudra

10 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

Watching the Trump rally in Oklahoma. I wouldn’t be so sure about Biden winning this election. Trump stayed on script with his teleprompter, and was at the top of his game. As I predicted, he’s hanging the violence, anarchy, and “defund the police” movement around the neck of Democrats. It’s low hanging fruit. If his rallies between now and November are all like this one, he’s going to be tough to beat. It wasn’t like the 2016 rallies where he just said whatever was on his mind for two hours. It was a prepared speech, and it was very effective. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him more energetic, which is a sharp contrast to what we’re going to see from Biden. 

That's what I got out of it as well. There were times where he said things that either explicitly weren't true and that just bothered me; the one year prison term for flag burning - it bothers me when people burn my flag too, especially other Americans but it's protected speech. It plays well with the base though, so those of us that don't have serious policy disagreements but absolutely can't stand the tone are supposed to do ...what exactly? Biden is a nice man from what we know of his public persona, but I can't disagree with what you're saying. We've decided to do a replay of 2016 only this time, we've selected a candidate that's not nearly as smart and capable as Clinton, but more likable.

1 hour ago, Drew said:

That's what I got out of it as well. There were times where he said things that either explicitly weren't true and that just bothered me; the one year prison term for flag burning - it bothers me when people burn my flag too, especially other Americans but it's protected speech. It plays well with the base though, so those of us that don't have serious policy disagreements but absolutely can't stand the tone are supposed to do ...what exactly? Biden is a nice man from what we know of his public persona, but I can't disagree with what you're saying. We've decided to do a replay of 2016 only this time, we've selected a candidate that's not nearly as smart and capable as Clinton, but more likable.

There was definitely stuff in there for his base, but also for those who are worried about the anarchy and violence we’re seeing in the big cities, which is probably almost everyone, whether they’re willing to admit it or not. I’m sure all of those people in the arena (other than total nutcases) think George Floyd was murdered by the cop, but that’s not what this is about anymore. Does anyone think Antifa’s priority is ending police brutality against black people? I will say that as much as I dislike Trump, I’m more likely to vote for him now than I was a couple weeks ago. I have zero confidence in Democrats to maintain law and order. As Trump pointed out, the 20 most crime-ridden cities in America are all run by Democrats, and they want to defund, and/or abolish police departments. These aren’t 

just policy disagreements. These people are crazy. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

There was definitely stuff in there for his base, but also for those who are worried about the anarchy and violence we’re seeing in the big cities, which is probably almost everyone, whether they’re willing to admit it or not. I’m sure all of those people in the arena (other than total nutcases) think George Floyd was murdered by the cop, but that’s not what this is about anymore. Does anyone think Antifa’s priority is ending police brutality against black people? I will say that as much as I dislike Trump, I’m more likely to vote for him now than I was a couple weeks ago. I have zero confidence in Democrats to maintain law and order. As Trump pointed out, the 20 most crime-ridden cities in America are all run by Democrats, and they want to defund, and/or abolish police departments. These aren’t 

To play devil's advocate

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/06/12/camden-policing-reforms-313750

Also, pretty much every mid to large size city is run by Democrats. It stands to reason the larger the city the more crime

I've been pleasantly surprised at the supreme  court rulings this week on LGBT civil rights and DACA. One of the main reasons I thought I would swallow and vote for Biden is the court becoming too lopsided. Maybe it will be ok if I just sit this one out or vote third party again...

25 minutes ago, sneaky said:

To play devil's advocate

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/06/12/camden-policing-reforms-313750

Also, pretty much every mid to large size city is run by Democrats. It stands to reason the larger the city the more crime

You might want to research Camden a little more, but you’ll have to dig deep (because most reporters clearly don’t). They were forced to disband the police department, due to budget constraints. They hired most of them back at 1/2 the pay,  received an increase in federal aid, the county Sheriffs Department picked up much of the slack, and the force became even whiter than it was previously. They also went through a rocky period with a high number of excessive force complaints, and have about the same number of cops they had before. To credit abolishing the original police department, and replacing it with another one with their drop in crime would be a stretch. Other nearby New Jersey cities have apparently had a similar drop in crime rate over the same time period.

This is not the same thing. The Minneapolis City Council does not want a new police department. They want no police department. 

I tried to link a recent Washington Post article, but I’m unable to for some reason. It should be easy to find. 

Edited by TeamAudra

6 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

Well, those people that are outside agitators and attend these protests simply for the purpose of doing that, I'd tend to agree for sure. 

Not for nothing, I think people need to be pretty careful in general. I've never considered the people who work at CNN, all of whom (almost) have attended Ivy League schools to be "my people." I'm a middle class kid from a suburb outside Boston. The folks that are at these rallies are more my speed, so when the media lumps the criticism on President Trump and the folks that have voted for him in the past, it's a pretty dangerous game and I do view some of them as elitist and out of touch. There are those of us that object to mistruths, meanness, but are also between a rock and a hard place. If you have someone that generally supports the policies, but wish he was more of a statesman, where do those people go? The problem, lol. 

It comes down to as with any election since the beginning of time, who's going to hurt me least? Trump does have a record now and it's not all bad. He sticks his foot in his mouth a ton and I consistently cringe at some of what he says on the daily. I'm selective about the outrage though, as I think anyone should be. Hint to the media: It's a massive reason why such a large segment of the public is now skeptical. 

2 hours ago, Drew said:

Well, those people that are outside agitators and attend these protests simply for the purpose of doing that, I'd tend to agree for sure. 

Not for nothing, I think people need to be pretty careful in general. I've never considered the people who work at CNN, all of whom (almost) have attended Ivy League schools to be "my people." I'm a middle class kid from a suburb outside Boston. The folks that are at these rallies are more my speed, so when the media lumps the criticism on President Trump and the folks that have voted for him in the past, it's a pretty dangerous game and I do view some of them as elitist and out of touch. There are those of us that object to mistruths, meanness, but are also between a rock and a hard place. If you have someone that generally supports the policies, but wish he was more of a statesman, where do those people go? The problem, lol. 

It comes down to as with any election since the beginning of time, who's going to hurt me least? Trump does have a record now and it's not all bad. He sticks his foot in his mouth a ton and I consistently cringe at some of what he says on the daily. I'm selective about the outrage though, as I think anyone should be. Hint to the media: It's a massive reason why such a large segment of the public is now skeptical. 

You touched on why I didn’t vote for him last time. He’s a dick. Lots of people voted for him knowing this, either because of policy beliefs, or they didn’t like the alternative.

A lot of things can change in 5 months, but his anti-anarchy lines and his ability to pin the lawlessness on Democrats are much more powerful than “the wall.” It’s so easy. Democrats have been running these cities, and have been in charge of these police departments for decades. People of all political persuasions are in total disbelief at what’s happening in some of these cities. They may still hate Trump, but I don’t know how they could blame what’s happening in Seattle on him, considering the Mayor and Governor aren’t doing anything at all about it. I know Biden probably doesn’t support what’s happening, but he’s not speaking out against it either, because those people and others who sympathize with them are part of the Democrat base. 

Edited by TeamAudra

Have you ever thought about what you would do if you were in this situation? 

Oops, NPR...they pointed a gun at the driver! Whoever tweeted that must be really out of touch with reality. Right wing extremists? How about fearing bodily harm or death, regardless of their politics? 

Edited by TeamAudra

8 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

Here’s the Washington Post article about Camden.

Camden police reboot is being misused in the debate over police reform

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/06/16/camden-nj-police-reboot-is-being-misused-debate-over-police-reform/

Right but I really dont think Minneapolis is going to eliminate the Pd. Just probably restructure. Looking at the demographics of the city I dont think they would ever fo for that

5 hours ago, sneaky said:

Right but I really dont think Minneapolis is going to eliminate the Pd. Just probably restructure. Looking at the demographics of the city I dont think they would ever fo for that

The City Council members absolutely want to eliminate it. They voted unanimously, and have the power to do it. They are nuts. We’ll see. It will take a while if it ever happens. 

As for Demographics, don’t pay attention to skin color. It’s a very liberal city. Having said that, liberals want safe neighborhoods too. I’ll bet if we polled only black residents of Minneapolis, they’d be opposed to eliminating the police department. 

Edited by TeamAudra

15 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

You touched on why I didn’t vote for him last time. He’s a dick. Lots of people voted for him knowing this, either because of policy beliefs, or they didn’t like the alternative.

I certainly knew this. It's hard for me to reconcile some things since I fall into that category of wanting to like my president, candidate, etc. I recognize we're not electing a Sunday school teacher, so there is that. However, they are effectively leader of the free world, so it's an issue.  

On 6/20/2020 at 9:59 PM, TeamAudra said:

The bits about the ramp and TVs on Air Force One were especially germane to the average American's problems.

You are right though. Win or lose, he will wave around the Bible and scream law and order and get about 50% of the vote.

6 hours ago, RWG said:

The bits about the ramp and TVs on Air Force One were especially germane to the average American's problems.

You are right though. Win or lose, he will wave around the Bible and scream law and order and get about 50% of the vote.

The self deprecating humor regarding the ramp served him well. He doesn’t normally do that. 

I’ve noticed in the past that he doesn’t like walking down stairs too. 

33 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

The self deprecating humor regarding the ramp served him well. He doesn’t normally do that. 

I’ve noticed in the past that he doesn’t like walking down stairs too. 

They've gotten pretty boring, the rallies. I won't lie, in the past I would have given him credit for at least being a good performer, in a BIll Hicks sort of way. But it's gotten really stale. Apparently the ramp bit went on for 15 minutes.

LMAO. There have been countless violent acts in Chaz more worthy of highlighting than this, but none of those are nearly as funny. 

BTW, Seattle’s Mayor said she’s finally ready to take back the territory “peacefully.”  Good luck with that. 

OK...President of the Minneapolis City Council, Lisa Bender, is taking some heat for “abolish the Police,” including calls for her resignation. Minneapolis liberals with money and influence have woken from their nap. Perhaps the sharp spike in shootings over the past week has something to do with it. I’m declaring it dead right now, despite the unanimous, veto-proof vote. Bender is talking about putting it on the ballot in November. Don’t waste your time. 

Edited by TeamAudra

As for the lead up to the general election, I will re-iterate my thoughts. Biden is crushing Trump in the polls right now, but the election isn't today so that doesn't matter. Four months is a long time, and literally anything can happen between now and then. If nothing catastrophic happens within this time period I do expect the election to be fairly close, with the usual swing states being the final deciding factor in who wins.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ButterflyEffect said:

As yes, the police have shown so much respect towards protesters, onlookers, and the media the last month but this is what you have a problem with? LOL.

Yes, it’s a white woman attacking a black police officer over something she clearly knows nothing about. 

You really don’t see the difference between peaceful protesting vs. violence and anarchy? Those who engage in the latter don’t deserve any respect.  You live on PEI, right? You’ll never have to see it up close. 

Edited by TeamAudra

3 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

Yes, it’s a white woman attacking a black police officer over something she clearly knows nothing about. 

You really don’t see the difference between peaceful protesting vs. violence and anarchy? Those who engage in the latter don’t deserve any respect.  You live on PEI, right? You’ll never have to see it up close. 

So you've clearly ignored the last 10+ pages of this thread, showing peaceful protesters and onlookers (including media members) being assaulted and nearly murdered,. I don't have time or sympathy for those who have taken advantage of the situation to loot, riot, and destroy property for fun. I also have no sympathy for the police who have demonstrated they are exactly what people are protesting against.

Where I live is clearly stated under my avatar. If you think I live on PEI then you may want to do a double check.

Edited by ButterflyEffect
  • Like 2