The American Politics Thread!

Rate this topic

istersay

Why on earth would Joe try and please the Sanders wing of the party? They don't win elections. You know who are proven voters? The base of the party, which are who Kamala does appeal to. 

BTW: By all actual data, Harris is a more progressive senator than both Warren and Sanders. She also lacks the baggage that you claim - although she does need to straighten out Tulsi's lies. Which..we finally have some decent articles about with truth about her time as AG. 

2 hours ago, mercfan3 said:

Why on earth would Joe try and please the Sanders wing of the party? They don't win elections. You know who are proven voters? The base of the party, which are who Kamala does appeal to. 

BTW: By all actual data, Harris is a more progressive senator than both Warren and Sanders. She also lacks the baggage that you claim - although she does need to straighten out Tulsi's lies. Which..we finally have some decent articles about with truth about her time as AG. 

Tulsi, didn't lie. Kamala's record, regarding criminal prosecutions, is really bad. Tulsi, just pointed it out, on live TV, in front of the world. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sneaky said:

Steve Mnuchin is happy tonight. If Trump wins he's in his corner. If not, this admin will be in his corner

At least she seems generically competent though

Yes. It's the sad reality. Kamala Harris allowed Steve Mnuchin to get away essentially stealing people homes from disclosure and eviction without any leniency or a chance to pay back their mortgages. That allowed vultures and criminals like Steve Mnuchin to get away with it.

Maybe I'd be considered "spinless" by some of the leftists whom I agree with on 90% of the issues (I'm much further left than your average liberal. Not a Marxist, but not center left either) but I'm 100% behind Biden/Harris right now despite the fact that I dislike both of their records quite a bit.

I see the the bigger picture and, in my opinion, they're both such a huge improvement over the current nightmare we currently have in office that I'm more than willing to throw as much support needed at them to get them elected even though I have huge disagreements with both of their philosophies and records.

Unfortunately, I live in one of the most conservative states in the country, so my vote ultimately won't do anything, but I'll be putting some donations behind Biden/Harris as well as volunteering my time to text/email or whatever the hell else I can do to help to get the Dictator wannabe out of office.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Smoochy said:

Maybe I'd be considered "spinless" by some of the leftists whom I agree with on 90% of the issues (I'm much further left than your average liberal. Not a Marxist, but not center left either) but I'm 100% behind Biden/Harris right now despite the fact that I dislike both of their records quite a bit.

I see the the bigger picture and, in my opinion, they're both such a huge improvement over the current nightmare we currently have in office that I'm more than willing to throw as much support needed at them to get them elected even though I have huge disagreements with both of their philosophies and records.

Unfortunately, I live in one of the most conservative states in the country, so my vote ultimately won't do anything, but I'll be putting some donations behind Biden/Harris as well as volunteering my time to text/email or whatever the hell else I can do to help to get the Dictator wannabe out of office.

I kinda agree. I feel like Im center left but just anti corruption/conflict of interest.  I see both sides of voting for Biden. On the one hand Trump is incompotent and has probably costed many lives during Covid 19. On the other hand, if Biden wins it signifies to the Democrats that they can crown a further right, crappier candidate next time around and the country will continue to go down the crapper.

I wish everyone would flee both parties. In my state you have to be registered to either of the crappy parties though if you want to participate in the primaries so feels like we are stuck

Kamala Harris got a 25 billion settlement for people in her state during the housing crisis. 

It would have been a waste of state resources to go after one of them personally, for criminal conduct. It's almost impossible to win those cases, as courts are super reluctant to break the corporate veil. 

Here is an actual account of Harris' record as a prosecutor. I've refuted Tulsibot's account enough times. Facts matter. Context matters.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/voices/2020/08/10/kamala-harris-progressive-pioneer-san-francisco-da-column/3334668001/

On another note..shockingly, Trump is dipping his toes into birtherism for Kamala. Took him a whole day to make a racist attack.

That being said, with his tendency to project, I'm actually starting to question if he was really born here..

Edited by mercfan3

21 hours ago, mercfan3 said:

On another note..shockingly, Trump is dipping his toes into birtherism for Kamala. Took him a whole day to make a racist attack.

That being said, with his tendency to project, I'm actually starting to question if he was really born here..

It's funny because he got it from an article in Newsweek--not even a right-wing outlet like the ones he usually gets his talking points from.

• Like 1

Looking forward to tonight! The last two nights have been kind of 'meh' in places. This is a weird format, but I'm getting used to it. 

Not surprising. 

People like to say that Clinton wasn't a good candidate..but we are talking about a politician who had one of the highest ratings of any active politician ever when she was SOS, and won "Most Admired Woman in the United States" like..20 years in a row. She has a record of what would be a political God if she were a man. (highlights include..worked on Nixon Case, worked undercover to discover discrimination in public schools, drastically improved the education system in Arkansa, created CHIP, was a Senator in NY during 9-11, and was responsible for the initial first responders healthcare bill, as SOS she was part of the small team that made the decision to assassinate Bin Laden, she laid the foundation for the Iran deal, the Paris Climate Change treaty..and this isn't getting into the Clinton health initiative..) 

I'm sure some of that doesn't sound great to conservatives..but we're talking Democrat supporters here..and Biden's record just doesn't match up. He's not a historical nomination either. 

But, Biden also doesn't have 30 years of propaganda against him. He doesn't have misogyny against him - nor does he have a press that hates him.  And unlike Clinton - Biden does have 4 years of Trump. There is no "trying something new" or "no need to vote because there's no way Trump will win" mentality this time. 

I'm confident a majority of the country doesn't want him and would prefer to vote for Biden. What I'm not confident in is a fair election. 

4 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

In my eye this speaks to the garbage that is American politics currently.  Gone are the days of simply asking the voters who they think is the best person for the job.  This November will come down to the same question as it did four years ago :

"Which candidate do you dislike the least?"

13 minutes ago, ATX29 said:

In my eye this speaks to the garbage that is American politics currently.  Gone are the days of simply asking the voters who they think is the best person for the job.  This November will come down to the same question as it did four years ago :

"Which candidate do you dislike the least?"

There’s an enthusiasm gap, and elections generally aren’t won based on hate for the opposing candidate, but this election could be the exception to the rule. Looks like about a 6 point lead for Biden, which can easily be overcome in a couple months. The economy is bad for certain segments of the population, but most of those people generally wouldn’t have voted for Trump in the first place. People who still have full employment (most people, obviously) are flush with cash right now, and are looking for new ways to spend it. 

Edited by TeamAudra

4 hours ago, mercfan3 said:

I'm confident a majority of the country doesn't want him and would prefer to vote for Biden. What I'm not confident in is a fair election. 

Land of the free.....lol.

The problem with supporting a candidate based on the hate for the other candidate is that those voters are less motivated to go stand in line come election day. If Democrats loved Biden, they'd stand in line for hours to vote for him. If Democrats hate Trump they're a lot less likely do do the same for Biden. Voter apathy is a dangerous thing.

I'm also seeing a lot of young Democrats who are unhappy with the Biden pick calling for voting 3rd party. My god.....are memories that short? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ButterflyEffect said:

Land of the free.....lol.

The problem with supporting a candidate based on the hate for the other candidate is that those voters are less motivated to go stand in line come election day. If Democrats loved Biden, they'd stand in line for hours to vote for him. If Democrats hate Trump they're a lot less likely do do the same for Biden. Voter apathy is a dangerous thing.

I'm also seeing a lot of young Democrats who are unhappy with the Biden pick calling for voting 3rd party. My god.....are memories that short? 

They don't vote anyway. 

And a majority of time, I agree with you (although - there shouldn't be that barrier). But this time - given the past four years, I think more people will stay in line. I also think the historic nature of the VP pick will help encourage that too. 

I’m watching right now, and can see why. It’s very boring. 

——-

Broadcast ratings for second night of Democratic convention off 48 percent from 2016

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/512760-broadcast-ratings-for-second-night-of-democratic-convention-off-48-percent

Edited by TeamAudra