Wallace - 20/30
Denise - 27/30
Public - 28/30
Victoria - 30/30

DEE
To be added.

ELLIOTT
10. The Princess and the Frog (2009)
This deadline really should've been delayed long enough so I could rewatch the films I don't remember that well on Disney Plus. :dead: Anyway, I'm putting The Princess and the Frog in my top ten because I was glad that Disney FINALLY made a black Disney princess, and I loved the culture of New Orleans that this movie brought to life. (I've never been, but Andrew really wants to take me :haha:). Anyway, I'm sure Dee and Wally have written enough about this film to cover for my rushed write-ups, but I hope this movie ranks high. <3

CHRIS
IPB Image
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

In 2009, “The Princess & The Frog”, based on the E.D. Baker’s novel “The Frog Princess”, was released by Walt Disney Pictures - the movie marked its first traditional animated movie since “Home On The Range”. With a return to a Broadway musical style, the movie takes place in New Orleans where we meet Tiana; She has big dreams of becoming a well-known chef & in order to realize her dreams, she’s working as a waitress in 2 local restaurants. During this time, her best friend, Charlotte, is expected to marry Prince Naveen. To welcome Prince Naveen to town, a masquerade is being thrown where Tiana is hired to make food where she receives enough money to buy an old mill to turn into a restaurant.

But the movie truly takes a turn when we are introduced to the villain known as Doctor Faciliter, a voodoo witch doctor. Upon meeting Prince Naveen & his valet, Doctor Faciliter promise them that they can make their dreams come true. That was too good to be true as Prince Naveen gets turned into a frog while his valet can turn into the Prince; Obviously, he did this for a reason - have the valet marry Charlotte while Doctor Faciliter will be able to kill Charlotte’s father. And now, Tiana meets Naveen who believe Tiana is a princess & ask her to kiss him to break the spell - it didn’t go according to plan for Naveen as Tiana is not a princess where she’s also turned into a frog.

Now, both of them must find a way to break the spell - they go to the Bayou where they make some acquaintances that tell them to go see the Voodoo Queen, Mama Odie. While Naveen & Tiana are on an adventure, Shadow Man makes a deal with the voodoo spirits where he offers them the soul of people from New Orleans as long as they find & capture Naveen. And once at Mama Odie, Naveen & Tiana are told that Naveen must kiss a real princess - they find their way back to Charlotte where Naveen admit to Ray that he’s in love with Tiana & willing to give up his dreams and ambitions. He was unable to let his feelings known to Tiana as the demons captured him; luckily for him, Ray was able to let Tiana know who goes to the parade to find him where she runs into the valet who is about to marry Charlotte. The entire situation is fixed when Ray finds Naveen which breaks the curse that Lawrence is under… The story was far from over as Tiana is now face to face with the faciliter who makes her a deal in regards to her restaurant; Tiana quickly realize that she loves the Prince and all of this is not worth it. In the end, Shadow Man is dragged into his grave while Tiana & Naveen decide to live together as frogs until their wedding where her new status as princess breaks the curse.

As a Broadway musical fan, it should be no surprise that I enjoyed the movie, especially when it came to the soundtrack - I was so happy when Anika Rose was cast as the lead, considering she’s quite underrated in the musical world. Not only did I enjoy the music, I also enjoyed the storyline - as an Acadian, cajuns are descendants of Acadian when the latter were deported from Acadia (Atlantic Canada) to Louisiana, it was refreshing to hear last name & name that I am used to hearing such as Evangeline - a popular character in Acadian culture. Overall, it’s an excellent movie due to its spectacular animation. And now, here’s some of my favourite songs from the movie;

KYc5H7VvZbc g00kEcGh4j8
GBCBv1O_Xi4 Q2boRhlGadg

DIANA
16. The Princess and the Frog
Omg finally I don’t have to write 100 words anymore. FINALLY. I LOVE THIS MOVIE TOO. Do I think it belongs this high? Probably not but once again this is favor and a deal I am honoring.

WALLACE
The Princess and the Frog (2009)
I am really glad that The Princess and the Frog made it into the Final 30 round, as I did not think it would have made it to this final round. The Princess and the Frog is a definite groundbreaking film as Tiana is the first African American Disney Princess, and it was certainly about time that happened. And yeah it’s a very special film on a slightly personal level, as my younger cousins really loved and got to see a Princess look like them and she meant a lot to them which is of course a great thing. I remember they even had a birthday themed part of The Princess and the Frog. I am ranking the movie at #20, and certainly want to and wish I could rank it higher but I do have a bigger attachment to the films in my Top 20.

The Princess and the Frog is one of those movies I have seen a parts of but never got the full version of which I would love to see at some point. I do love the song “Almost There,” which is a very beautiful and fun song which I will post of course.

irEBOfv4Ug4

DENISE
The Princess and the Frog

IPB ImageIPB Image

The Princess and the Frog centers on aspiring restaurant owner, Tiana, who finds herself in a bit of a... situation :giggle: when she is turned into a frog after kissing one. Prince Naveen was turned into a frog and thought her kiss would turn him back, but since she's not actually a princess, it didn't work. As Tiana and Naveen navigate frog life together, they end up falling in love. Tiana's best friend, Charlotte, is willing to kiss frog Naveen to turn them back to human, but is too late, since her princess status was only good for the duration of the Mardi Gras parade. I did like that selfless act of hers though, since throughout the movie she's so obsessed with marrying a prince herself and just a little much for me. Young Charlotte is cute though and gave me this gif I love so much. :haha:

IPB Image

Tiana and Naveen choose to stick together regardless get married as frogs. Tiana's marriage to Naveen made her a princess, therefore her kiss turned both of them back into humans at the end.

IPB Image

It's a cute little spin on the whole kiss a frog and he'll turn into a prince thing. I like both Tiana and Naveen, as well as the funny alligator, Louis, who they befriend as frogs. He really cracks me up. And also the firefly, Ray. His death scene makes me so sad. :bye2: At least he got to be with his forever love, Evangeline, up in the sky. :bye2:

I enjoy this movie, but I like most of the others more and have way bigger attachments so I can't rank it too high. Oh, but I do also really like the music in this as well! It's fun. ^_^

PUBLIC

Alex
The Princess and the Frog - Oop is it controversial that I don’t really care about this movie…? Thank God we finally got a black princess so that bumps it up a few spots. But that doesn’t really save the movie from being lowkey boring. I loved Tiana as a waitress and I wish we got more of that. I also stan her fierce bff Charlotte. Oh and Mama Odie of course! Also Prince Naveen is a 10/10 would bang. Just the plot is really slow. It has a lot of elements that work, but they never come together. I think as someone who loves villains, Dr. Facilier just isn’t that good (even though “Friends On the Other Side” is an amazing villain song).

VICTORIA
The Princess and the Frog

IPB Image

I ranked this film number 30 and what about it? :* I know some people wanted the princesses to show up rather quickly in this rankdown and if they want one to show up quickly might as well make it Tiana. :) I do like this film but I do not love it. I do like Princess Tiana but I do not love her. She simply lacks the nostalgia and attachment factor to me. I do understand the important of representation and I was thrilled when an African-American Disney Princess was announced. I'm sure that meant a lot to little girls who couldn't identify with the other princesses. I was so happy for them to finally have someone to call their own. The story for me lacked and the songs were not that memorable so I've only ever watched the film once and it did not leave an impact on me. Tiana is an important princess but the film The Princess and the Frog is not.

The Princess and the Frog is a 2009 American animated musical fantasy film produced by Walt Disney Animation Studios and released by Walt Disney Pictures. It's the 49th Disney animated feature film and the film is loosely based on the novel The Frog Princess by E. D. Baker which is in turn based on the Brothers Grimm fairy tale "The Frog Prince". The film has the voice talents of Bruno Campos, Keith David, Jennifer Cody and most importantly, Anika Noni Rose, whom I love. Oprah Winfrey also lends her voice to bring Eudora to life who is Tiana's mother. The film is set in New Orleans and it tells the story of a hardworking waitress named Tiana who dreams of owning her own restaurant. Tiana shared the passion of cooking with her father who died in World War I. Tiana's best friend Charlotte La Bouff hosting a masquerade ball with the help of her father. Her intent is to invite Prince Naveen to the ball and marry him to she can became a princess. This benefits Prince Naveen because his parents cut him off and is now poor left with two choices; marry or get a job. Charlotte and Eli "Big Daddy" La Bouff, Charlotte's dad" pay Tiana to make beignets for the ball giving her enough money to buy an old sugar mill to convert into her restaurant. Prince Naveen and his valet, Lawrence, meet a voodoo witch doctor Doctor Facilier who turns Princess Naveen into a frog and gives Lawrence a voodoo talisman that disguises him as Prince Naveen. The voodoo doctor wants Lawrence to marry Charlotte so that they can kill "Big Daddy" and steal his fortune.

Tiana learns she is going to lose the mill to a higher bidder. Tiana meets Naveen who is now a frog and he believes her to be a princess because of her dress at the masquerade ball. Naveen pleads with Tiana to kiss him to break the spell and he will give her the money needed to buy the mill. She accepts and kisses him but she is not princess so she turns into a frog herself. They have the ability to talk to other animals. Tiana and Naveen are chases by a dog but they escape to the bayou. They meet a trumpet-playing alligator named Louis and a Cajun firefly named Ray. Louis and Ray offer to lead Tiana and Naveen to a voodoo queen Mama Odie whom they believe can undo the curse. Naveen and Tiana develop feelings for each other during their journey. The voodoo witch makes a deal with voodoo spirts. He offers them the souls of the people of New Orleans in exchange for a host of shadow demons who he commands to find and capture the prince. After some trouble they find Mama Odie who informs them that Naveen must kiss an actual princess to break the spell. They return to New Orleans to find Charlotte who is the princess of the Mardi Gras Parade, but only until midnight. Only problem is that Naveen loves Tiana and is willing to give up his dreams for her. Before he can tell her his captured the shadow demons and brought to the voodoo doctor. Ray tells Tiana that Naveen loves her so Tiana goes to New Orleans to find him. She finds the fake Naveen marrying Charlotte but Tiana doesn't know that is not that the real Naveen and leaves heartbroken. Ray tries to save the day and gets the talisman to Tiana. Being chased by the voodoo doctor and the shadow demons, Ray and Tiana fight them off. Especially Ray who is squished in the process. :'( RIP Ray. :( Tiana is cornered by the voodoo doctor and in a last attempt he offers her a deal to fulfill all her dreams. Tiana refuses and breaks the talisman. The shadow demons drag him into his grave as payment for his debts to them. Naveen explains everything to Charlotte. He is going to kiss and marry Charlotte with the promise that Tiana gets all the money she needs for her restaurant because he loves her. Tiana stops them and they reveal their love for eacother. Charlotte agrees to kiss Naveen so they can be together as humans but the clock strikes midnight before they do and they remain frogs. Tiana and Naveen are wed by Mama Odie and because of Tiana's new status as a princess, they are restored to human form after their kiss. They return to New Orleans get legally married and together they open their new restaurant.

It's a cute story and Charlotte is an absolute hysterical character. :dead: I love Ray and Louis too. Especially Ray who dies. That part was sad. The bit about is love to a star he believes is a firefly named "Evangeline" was too funny. :dead: I only remember two songs from this movie and they are "Friends on the Other Side" and "Almost There". Both aren't very memorable imo and aren't considered classics but they are cute for the movie.

g00kEcGh4j8
This is Dr. Facilier's anthem.

irEBOfv4Ug4
Tiana's big number "Almost There" is the most known song from the movie.

The Princess and the Frog opened to a wide release on December 11, 2009. The film received largely positive reviews from critics and audiences, praising the animation, characters, music, and themes. The film was successful at the box office. It grossed $271 million dollars at the box office and it cost $105 million dollars to make. It received three Oscar nominations at the 82nd Academy Awards: one for Best Animated Feature and two for Best Original Song. The film has a 85% approval rating on Rottan Tomatoes. Tiana appeared in Ralph Breaks The Internet with the other Disney Princesses so that was a cool cameo. This film is important for representation purposes but it's not one of my favorites.