Wallace - 18/30
Diana - 23/30
Public - 23/30
Chris - 25/30
Elliott - 28/30

DENISE
Dumbo

IPB ImageIPB Image

Dumbo is such a special movie and character to me. I actually really wanted to choose a Dumbo gif for my character in this game, but I couldn't resist that Marie quote, which turned out to be appropriate for the drama of the game. But I have loved and adored Dumbo since I was just a little girl. The Dumbo ride was my favorite at Disneyland when I was younger, and my mom tells me that I once cried when I was given a stuffed Dumbo by my grandma... not because I was happy, but because I wanted a bigger one. :dead: I loved my Dumbo and I still do to this day. :wub: He's absolutely adorable and precious, and has to deal with horrible bullying based on a physical feature he has no control over. By the way, that feature makes him MORE adorable and amazing. Therefore, Dumbo teaches us all to embrace our differences and use our unique talents. just as Timothy the mouse says. "The very things that held you down are gonna carry you up and up and up."

The movie starts with the storks delivering baby animals, which is soooo adorable. And see, kids? Now you know where babies come from. <3 But poor Mrs. Jumbo doesn't get her baby elephant delivered on time. Silly stork with Dumbo was late and then messing about up in the clouds. COME DOWN STORK. WE WANT DUMBO. But he does finally arrive and lol none of the other animal mothers got a presentation, had to sign paperwork, and got a birthday song for their baby. Dumbo is so worthy!! :wub:

IPB ImageIPB Image

Of course we all see Dumbo's beautiful AMAZING ears, which only causes the other elephants to make fun of him and nickname him Dumbo. But the joke's on them, because his name is cute and they are bullies. Mrs. Jumbo is a true loving momma and even wraps him up like a burrito with his ears! :wub:

IPB ImageIPB Image

Dumbo is so stinking cute, whether he's being unwrapped after his delivery, playing in the bath, or frolicking around and playing with mama Jumbo. Just ADORABLE.

IPB Image

And his mommy is the only one who doesn't laugh and loves him just as he is. That gets her taken away from him after she protects him from some awful people mocking him and grabbing at him... and I think the worst part is that he didn't even know and was showing off his ears to them. :bye2: But they take his mommy and lock her up in a trailer for a dangerous animal. NO.

Thankfully, there is someone else who cares for Dumbo and will protect him, and that is Timothy the mouse. He scares away those other lady elephants who are so mean, going from calling him names to saying they should be ashamed of him and just plain pretending not to even see him. He's a BABY on his own and they can't step up and take care of them? They give a bad name to elephants. :angry:

IPB ImageIPB Image

Unfortunately, Dumbo's performance in the circus only lead to more jokes and him being dressed up as a clown. :( Dumbo does not DESERVE. Dumbo is better than all of them. Sweet Timothy takes Dumbo to visit his mommy outside her locked up trailer and omg... this scene brings me to tears to this day. Probably more so as an adult than child. Dumbo and momma can only hold trunks and then he swings on her trunk while "Baby Mine" plays. Um.

IPB Image
IPB Image

Q-8MbgMS6jo

HOW DO YOU NOT CRY? I should have picked this song for a music challenge, but we'd all be too sad to know what to do about it. :broken:

IPB Image

UGHHHHHHHHH. :broken:

Timothy and Dumbo accidentally drink from a tub of water that is actually full of champagne. They find themselves hallucinating about a bunch of bubble elephants after Dumbo blew some impressive colored and fun shaped bubbles. <3

IPB Image

BUT OMG no joke, this hallucination scene actually terrified me as a child. It's saying something that that could give me nightmares and this still remained one of my favorite movies. And it's still pretty scary today, to be honest. :giggle: Anyway, they end up in a tree the next morning where they talk to the crows. Timothy talks some SENSE into them when they want to make fun of Dumbo too. They come up with the idea that Dumbo got up in the tree by flying. But how would an elephant fly? They give him a feather and let him know it's magic, so he can fly if he has it. They plan to have Dumbo fly at the circus and amaze everyone, but he drops the feather... but it doesn't matter because Dumbo can fly anyway and needs no help! Dumbo is amazing! He flies and shows everyone how special his ears are! They are insured for a million dollars! Not enough, to be honest. Dumbo becomes a huge star, with Timothy as his manager, and Mrs. Jumbo is released back to be with her baby. <3 Thank. Goodness.

IPB Image

Never take Dumbo and his mommy away from each other again please.

I love Dumbo!!! He is one of my all-time favorite animated characters since I first saw this movie. <3 I also kind of love that all the other characters in the movie speak, but not Dumbo or his mother. That stands out to me and really makes an impact. He's the little underdog who had to suffer undeserved bullying and separation from his mom, but he's really just the absolute sweetest and has an amazing talent. He proves it all to them in the end. Also, my family's dog and a friend's dog who is really close to me both have ears that remind me of Dumbo when they move them back a certain way, which is so STINKIN' CUTE, and only makes me love "dumbo ears" even more! It is sad what Dumbo has to go through because of them, but hopefully he inspires people with something different about them to know that that treatment is not okay and you can come out happy and successful.

I saw the live action Dumbo in theaters when it was released and really enjoyed it too. Dumbo is still SO CUTE. But the best part about the remake is that they free Dumbo and Mrs. Jumbo at the end of the movie and allow them to live in an animal sanctuary. I have to applaud that decision. Circuses are very controversial and I cannot support mistreatment of animals, so I really appreciate that they made that change at the end of the live action. :wub: They continued to honor his name at the circus, despite him not being there. I love that.

VICTORIA
Dumbo

IPB Image

Let me start by saying Dumbo is possibly the cutest character that is in this top 30. He is so precious and adorable with the bigs ears. :wub: I COULD JUST SCREAM. <3 I'm more familiar with this older film than I am The Jungle Book and Bambi so that is why it received a favorable ranking from me. There is not much to the movie so I don't anticipate this write-up to be long. At 64 minutes t is one of Disney's shortest animated features.

Dumbo is a 1941 American animated film produced by Walt Disney Productions and released by RKO Radio Pictures. It's the fourth Disney animated feature film and it is based upon the storyline written by Helen Aberson and Harold Pearl. The movie starts with the storks delivering babies to the circus animals. All the mothers received babies except the elephant Mrs. Jumbo. A lost stork ultimately bring her a baby elephant with large ears. He is mocked and given the nickname Dumbo. Mrs. Jumbo attempts to remain dignified and treats her child with all her maternal love, but when a group of rascals takes to mocking Dumbo, she catches one of them with her trunk and spanks him. The ringmaster does not take Kindly to this and deems Mrs. Jumbo made and locks her in a cage. Dumbo is alone with no one to protect him from the other circus animals. A small mouse named Timothy consoles Dumbo and vows to make him a star.

The ringmaster, secretly with the help of Timothy, makes Dumbo the top of an elephant pyramid stunt. Dumbo misses the target and causes injuries so they make him the clown instead.He plays the main role in an act that involves him falling into a vat of pie filling. Despite his newfound popularity and fame, Dumbo dislikes this job, and is now more miserable than ever. To cheer him up, Timothy takes Dumbo to see his mom in the cage. Dumbo cries when he leaves and begins to hiccup. Timothy takes him to drink some water but Dumbo accidentally drinks champagne that was spilled into the water. Dumbo and Timothy become drunk and have surreal hallucinations of pink elephants. Dumbo and Timothy are awakened by a group of crows who are surprised to find an elephant sitting on the highest branches of a tree. Timothy has come to the conclusion that Dumbo managed to fly with the help his large ears. They use a feather to convince Dumbo that it carries magic that will allow him to fly. Back at the circus Timothy convinces Dumbo to turn his clown act into a flying performance act. Dumbo loses the feather and panics but Timothy lets him know the feather was never magic and it was Dumbo all along. Dumbo is able to pull out of the dive and flies around the circus and strikes back at his tormentors as a stunned audience looks on in amazement. After that Dumbo because a media sensation, Timothy becomes his manager, Dumbo and Mrs. Jumbo are given a private car on the circus train. MOTHER AND SON ARE REUNITED. <3 What a beautiful ending. The film has two songs that are notable from the film. "Baby Mine" and When I See An Elephant Fly".

Q-8MbgMS6jo
_v2exWrsGOc

The movie was met with some controversy because the original names of one of crows. The original name for one the crows was Jim Crow. That obviously has some racist undertones so it was changed to Dandy Crow. Dumbo was released on October 23, 1941;made to recoup the financial losses of Fantasia, it was a deliberate pursuit of simplicity and economy for the Disney studio. The film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant". The film cost $950,000 to make and made $1.3 million at the box office. The film has a 98% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. I want to add two of my favorite scenes from the movie before I wrap it up.

jcZUPDMXzJ8
The scene when Timothy and Dumbo are drunk. It's pretty pointless and memorable with all those pink elephants. :dead:

hNLiIehpLnE
And the scene where Dumbo flys and gets back at his tormentors. :wub:

Dumbo is one of the most beloved characters of Disney. He has his own ride at Disneyland. A sequel was announced but was canceled in 2006. :( A live-action adaptation of the film directed by Tim Burton was released on March 29, 2019. It was cute and I enjoyed it. It was a failure at the box office though. Here is another fun fact before I go: Despite being the title character Dumbo does not have a word of spoken dialogue. KING OF NOT SPEAKING DURING HIS OWN MOVIE. :wub:

DEE
To be added.

WALLACE
Dumbo (1941)
Dumbo is a definite classic and a film I do remember really enjoying when I was younger. I struggled on where to rank it but decided to give it the #18 spot. I do find Dumbo to be such a touching film because it has Jumbo Jr., who is cruelly teased and called “Dumbo” for being “dumb.” He gets made fun of for having big ears when in fact he is capable of flying with the use of his ears as wings. He’s good friends with Timothy (the mouse) - which breaks the stereotypes of mice and elephants not getting along, and tis movie breaks those stereotypes beautifully.

DIANA
23. Dumbo
I am going to be honest, never saw it.

PUBLIC

Alex
Dumbo - Glad to see a horror movie make it to the end! Yeah this movie never stuck with me…….at all.

Megan
Dumbo is arguably the most important movie that Disney has ever made in terms of Disney's success. When it came out in 1941, Disney needed a hit. And a hit that could be made economically because the two prior Disney animated films, Pinocchio and Fantasia, were kind of bombs in the box office, especially considering how much it cost to make them. And Dumbo ended up succeeding. Much cheaper and less visually beautiful than the movies that came before it (and after it, Bambi is a much more beautiful movie), Dumbo was a hit at the box offices. Created on a budget of ~$950K it returned over $500K in profits (according to Wikipedia).

It's cheap budget though forced a lot of creativity. The Pink Elephants scene is something so unique and something that seems so forward for its time (considering the psychedelic 60s were still 20 years away). There wasn't really a budget to actually animate humans so they were usually depicted as shadows which in turn really reinforces the themes of isolation. "Baby Mine" is still one of the saddest and most poignant Disney songs. That scene is genuinely touching and heartbreaking.

And while at times Disney's Dumbo is perfect at exploring human cruelty and isolation the movie is inseparable from the racism of its time. Early in the movie there's the "Song of the Roustabouts" performed by a group of faceless black men. And obviously, you can't watch the scene of the crows in 2019 and not be reminded of the "Jim Crow" stereotype (or the laws named for the character). The main bird was performed by a white man doing vocal black face (the rest of the crows were voiced by black men). Disney and animated films today still have a problem with casting white actors for the roles of characters of color (or animals coded as people of color). Lady and the Tramp which is also in this Top 30 but I won't do a write-up about, have the infamous Siamese Cats which are equally hard to watch as an adult in 2019. The Jungle Book has the orangutans. Peter Pan's depiction of Native Americans deserves a whole write-up of its own.

I don't think that Disney should avoid these movies, and in a similar vein I do think they should have likely put Song of the South on Disney+. It doesn't do Disney good to pretend that some forms of racism are worse or more tolerable than others and it doesn't do them good to pretend that their most controversial moments didn't happen. (Especially when one of Disneyland's most popular rides if not the most popular ride is based on Song of the South...it's still pulling profits from that movie it pretends it never made in the United States).

I like that Disney is putting an appropriate "warning" in front of some of its films that address that the movies are products of their time and those portrayals would not fly today (I've not seen all of the movies it has warnings in front of but I know it does for Dumbo). I think it needs to be better and closer to how the WB did for their old Looney Toons shorts which you can see here: https://www.cbr.com/disney-confront-racist-past-cartoons/

I'm sorry that this is turning into a write-up about how Disney can take culpability. But I think in 2019 Disney has the responsibility of putting Song of the South on Disney+ and the further work of explaining how this movie was made and why the portrayals are troubling today and were troubling and subject to controversy even in 1946.

Like I mentioned in the old thread, Karina Longworth's "You Must Remember This" podcast is doing an excellent job of exploring a lot of topics I've touched here in her current season "Six Degrees of Song of the South." I would recommend it if you are interested in the early workings of Disney and Walt Disney himself. There are only like
4 episodes of this season out so far and they are all incredibly good. And if I were Disney, I'd be chomping at the bit to get her to do something official for Disney in regards to confronting its racist past.

And Disney has grown and evolved. You can see it in films like Lilo & Stitch or Moana or Coco (I know it's Pixar, but to separate Pixar from Disney is impossible). Those movies have their issues too, but they are generally seen as their positive traits far outweighing their negative ones! Even Princess and the Frog which I may give a whole write-up as well is a step in the right direction.

I don't really expect a lot of people in this rankdown to get to this point in my write-up, but I didn't put this many words down for Dumbo to shame people for liking Disney (like I mentioned, I too subscribed to Disney+ Day 1) or Dumbo! Like I said, I think Dumbo at times is one of Disney's most interesting and most touching films. And because of the importance of it to Disney's success, it's certainly deserving of its place here in the Top 30. I'm just afraid that many, if not all rankers, are going to put this movie in the back half of their rankings (along with the aforementioned Lady and the Tramp and The Jungle Book) and skimp out on this type of commentary. So I'm doing it for everybody. :haha:

CHRIS
IPB Image
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Dumbo, an elephant who is often being ridiculed for his big ears who have the power of flying, was introduced to the general public in 1941. And now here’s a fun fact regarding the movie: Walt Disney decided to release it to make up from the financial losses the studio experienced following the release of Fantasia. That fun fact is kind of ironic as I much prefer Fantasia over Dumbo - the movie is not near my Top 30 so its overall ranking is quite generous.

ELLIOTT
28. Dumbo (1941)
Animated Walt Disney movie made pre-1970s, so I'm just going to assume it's probably got some racist undertone to it.

Here is everyone's ranking, so far. Diana & the Public are still slaying with the rankings, so far.

Chris:

04. Mary Poppins

13. The Princess and the Frog

18. Lady and the Tramp

19. A Bug's Life

22. Pinocchio

24. The Jungle Book

25. Dumbo

26. Bambi

28. The Fox and the Hound

29. Incredibles 2

Dee:

10. The Princess and the Frog

16. The Jungle Book

17. Incredibles 2

18. Dumbo

19. Pinocchio

20. A Bug's Life

22. Bambi

24. Lady and the Tramp

25. The Fox and the Hound

29. Mary Poppins

Denise:

03. Dumbo

06. Bambi

07. The Fox and the Hound

14. Incredibles 2

21. Lady and the Tramp

25. Pinocchio

26. Mary Poppins

27. The Princess and the Frog

29. A Bug's Life

30. The Jungle Book

Diana:

12. Incredibles 2

16. The Princess and the Frog

21. Lady and the Tramp

23. Dumbo

24. Bambi

25. A Bug's Life

26. Mary Poppins

27. Pinocchio

28. The Fox and the Hound

30. The Jungle Book

Elliott:

08. Incredibles 2

09. A Bug's Life

10. The Princess and the Frog

13. Lady and the Tramp

18. The Jungle Book

19. Pinocchio

20. Bambi

21. The Fox and the Hound

24. Mary Poppins

28. Dumbo

Public:

14. Mary Poppins

18. The Fox and the Hound

22. Pinocchio

23. Dumbo

24. Lady and the Tramp

25. The Jungle Book

27. Bambi

28. The Princess and the Frog

29. A Bug's Life

30. Incredibles 2

Victoria:

09. Mary Poppins

12. A Bug's Life

13. Pinocchio

14. Dumbo

18. Lady and the Tramp

19. The Fox and the Hound

20. The Jungle Book

22. Bambi

24. Incredibles 2

30. The Princess and the Frog

Wallace:

10. Pinocchio

11. Bambi

12. A Bug's Life

13. The Jungle Book

17. Lady and the Tramp

18. Dumbo

20. The Princess and the Frog

23. The Fox and the Hound

26. Mary Poppins

30. Incredibles 2

It's probably beauty and the beast.

I though we ALL knew that was his #30. :haha:

Good placements for The Princess and the Frog and Dumbo, even though I would have liked Dumbo a little higher and did expect it to rank higher too.

And wow Denise having that as her #3 film! :omg: Sorry that you lost a big fave here so soon. :(