Wallace - 16/30
Public - 20/30
Denise - 22/30
Elliott - 22/30
Dee - 28/30

VICTORIA
Sleeping Beauty

IPB Image

I don't have a huge attachment to this film at all but I wanted Tiana to be the first princess to show up so that is why I have Sleeping Beauty a favorable ranking. The movie itself is iconic and Princess Aurora is one of the OG princesses but in terms of character Cinderella beats her every single time. The movie is my least favorite of the princess films I think. It's a tie between Sleeping Beauty, The Princess and the Frog and Brave. Aurora was always boring to me and when the fairies (Flora, Fauna and Merryweather) and the villain Maleficent are more interesting and captivating than you are... It's not all her fault as she is asleep for most of the movie. What saves this movie are the fairies and Maleficent being the possible the baddest villain of them all. :devil:

Sleeping Beauty is a 1959 American animated musical fantasy film produced by Walt Disney based on The Sleeping Beauty by Charles Perrault. It's the 16th Disney animated feature film and it was released to theaters on January 29, 1959 by Buena Vista Distribution. This was the last Disney adaptation of a fairy tale for some years because of its initial mixed critical reception and under performance at the box office. The story follows King Stefan and Queen Leah who after many tries give birth to Princess Aurora. Aurora is betrothed to Prince Phillip, the son of King Stefan's closest friend King Hubert, to unite their kingdoms. There is a christening in Aurora's honor and among the guest are three good fairies, Flora, Fauna, and Merryweather. Flora and Fauna bless Aurora with beauty and but Merryweather's gift is interrupted by the evil fairy Maleficent who is angry she wasn't invited. As a result she puts a spell on Aurora stating before the sun sets on her sixteenth birthday, she will prick her finger on the spindle of a spinning wheel and die. ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS INVITE HER AND THIS ALL COULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED. :dead: Unable to reverse the curse Merryweather uses her magic to weaken the curse and instead of dying Aurora will fall into a deep slumber, only broken by true love's kiss. King Stefan orders all spinning wheels throughout the kingdom be burned. After much persuading the king and queen allow Auroro to live with the faires in the hidden forest.

Aurora now goes by Briar Rose and grows into a stunning young woman. On her 16th birthday the fairies ask her to gather some berries so they can prepare a surprise party. Auroro has befriended all the animals of the forest and sings them a song, "Once Upon Dream". It's the most well-known song in the movie. I'll throw in "I Wonder" as well while I am discussing the movies songs.

[YOUTUBE]TXbHShUnwxY[/YOUTUBE]
o26c-Lbv8D8

Phillip who is now a handsome young man follows Aurora's voice and is instantly struck by her beauty and grace. They instantly fall in love and she invites him to meet her godmothers at the cottage that evening. TALK ABOUT MOVING FAST. :dead: Back at the cottage there is a cute scene where Flora and Merryweather argue over the color of Aurora's gown. :haha: Their magic has attacted the attention of Maleficent's raven who learns Aurora's location. Aurora is thrilled to tell her guardians that she has fallen in love. The fairies finally tell Aurora that she is a princess, already betrothed to a prince and she must never see the man again. Little does she know she is betrothed the man she just fell in love with. Heartbroken, Aurora cries in her room. Phillip tells his father he wishes to marry a peasant girl despite his betrothal to a princess and he is left devastated. The fairies take Aurora to the castle to be reunited with her parents but Maleficent appears and lures Aurora into a dark tower. It is there where she tricks her into touching the spindle of a cursed spinning wheel. She finally becomes sleeping beauty. The fairies place Aurora in the highest tower where she must await her princess and true loves kiss. Phillip is captured by Maleficent and the fairies having realized that Phillip is the man Aurora fell in love with rush to save him. The fairies rescue Phillip arming him with the magical Sword of Truth and Shield of Virtue. Maleficent confronts Phillip and transforms into a dragon. During their battle Phillip throws the sword blessed by the fairies, directly into Maleficent's heart killing her. Phillip awakens Aurora with a kiss breaking the spell. The couple is reunited, Aurora is reunited with her parents and we end with a scene of the happy couple dancing in the ballroom while Flora and Merryweather resume their dispute over Aurora's gown and it changes color as she dances. :teehee:

Sleeping Beauty was the first animated film to be photographed in the Super Technirama 70 widescreen process. The film cost $6 million to make and made $51.6 million at the box office. It has received a 90% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Princess Aurora and the other Disney Princesses all appeared as guest appearances in the 2018 film Ralph Breaks the Internet. A live-action spin-off of the film was made in 2014 entitled Maleficent which I heard Steven loves. It offers a different take on the story and isn't the one we know and love. In 2019 a sequel to that live-action spin-off was releases named Maleficent: Mistress of Evil. I guess Maleficent is really THAT bitch. :devil:

DIANA
14. Sleeping Beauty
I am getting so tired yet I am so close to #15. Just two more movies. Sleeping Beauty gets my number 14 spot solely because I think it’s iconic. It’s a Disney movie everyone knows and has seen so for that reason alone I felt it belonged in my top 15. I won’t lie it’s not my favorite Disney movie at all but I do enjoy it and I am placing this as high as a favor for someone in the public who asked me to rank it high. I think it is a good movie and obviously a Disney classic it’s just not my absolute favorite like the ones ranked above it.

CHRIS
IPB Image
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

In this movie that was released in the late 1950s, Princess Aurora is expected to marry Prince Phillip during her adulthood. However, things do not go to plan for Aurora when she gets cursed by Maleficent - the curse? During her 16th birthday, she will prick her finger on a spinning wheel which shall cause her death. As this curse was known by everyone around her surroundings, her parents made the difficult choice to send her to live far away with the fairies, hopefully a place that Maleficent won’t find… Fast forward to a few years later, Maleficent's raven figures out where Aurora is living & she finds a way to ensure Aurora prick her finger. And just like every other movie featuring a princess, Aurora’s curse is broken when her one true love kiss her; they lived happily ever after.

Personally, Sleeping Beauty aka Aurora is far from being one of my favourite princess - her popularity is somewhat shocking considering that the movie itself was considered her flop which made Disney to stop producing fairy tales for many years until the release of “Little Mermaid”. Anyway, beside “Once Upon a Dream”, the movie lack substance and originality compared to Snow White & Cinderella - how many times will see the fairies playing an important role in the life of the princess, or how many times will a prince come to the rescue of the princess (spoiler: way too much). But that being said, I simply cannot hate on the movie as it gave us Maleficent which is easily one of the best villains in Disney history - I think it’s fair to say that Maleficent presence in the movie played a huge factor in my placement of the movie.

WALLACE
Sleeping Beauty (1959)
Sleeping Beauty is a film I did struggle on finding a spot to rank. I knew and ended up wanting to rank it in the middle of my rankings, but with moving around these films, Sleeping Beauty has ended up in the #16 spot. Sleeping Beauty was a film I really enjoyed as a child but I guess it’s not one of those that has held up for me like films I ranked above it. It’s a film I would definitely like to rewatch, as I would with all of the films in this Top 30, but….. I ain’t got time for that. :* Oooh and Princess Aurora is definitely one of the most beautiful Disney Princess there.

Anywho, the standout song to me from this film is “Once Upon a Dream,” so I will post that.

TXbHShUnwxY

PUBLIC

Alex
Sleeping Beauty - I ranked this last and lowkey regret it, but I’m barely a percentage in the ranking so whocurr. The Snow White/Cinderella/Sleeping Beauty trio of boring ass bitch princesses all making the endgame is tragic. So I choose to focus on the villains and Maleficent is the best villain. Also Aurora’s prince is nice enough to actually have a name compared to the other ones so that is also a point in this movie’s favor. The side characters are pretty fun with the trio of fun fairies. They’re kinda like the muses before the muses in Hercules existed, except white and a lot less fun. Everyone choose your favorite fairy I’m a Merryweather stan! Anyways, the only reason any of us are here is for Maleficent. Her motivations are unclear and I love that energy. She’s really so pissed that her invitation to the christening got lost in the mail she wants to kill anyone and everyone. If the movie was about Maleficent it would be good, but we tried that and that didn’t work out so I guess not. I bet they tried to humanize her which, like, no thanks.

DENISE
Sleeping Beauty

IPB ImageIPB Image

I don't really have as much memory watching Sleeping Beauty as a child as most of the other animated classics here, but I do vaguely remember it.. and rewatched it recently to refresh myself, which I really enjoyed. :teehee: I really like the princess, Aurora, in this movie a lot. She's really cute and of course another one who befriends the animals. :wub: Got to love that. I feel like she's kind of my spirit animal in some ways. :giggle: She's so sweet and precious.... while Maleficent is the complete opposite.

IPB ImageIPB Image

So the story begins when the evil fairy, Maleficent, shows up uninvited to the christening of baby Aurora. While the three good fairies bless Aurora with wonderful things, Maleficent is furious she was not welcome and curses Aurora to her death on her 16th birthday when she will prick her finger on a spinning wheel. What even? :ermm: The good fairies are not strong enough to undo this curse, but can at least weaken it so that Aurora will fall into a deep slumber, instead of dying, and true love's kiss will also be able to awaken her. Aurora goes to live with the fairies in the forest, where she will be kept safe. Her 16th birthday comes and while she is among her animal frends in the forest, she dreams of her true love. Same. :wub:

IPB Image

This is where we get the classic song, "Once Upon a Dream", which Prince Phillip hears Aurora singing and goes to meet her.

IPB Image

They fall in love, while neither is aware that they were betrothed to each other as babies. They don't know the other is also royalty, and their guardians are beside themselves that they each fell in love with common folk. :haha: Poor Aurora is heartbroken when the fairies forbid her from seeing her love again. Shortly after, Maleficent gets her hands on Aurora and lures her in a trance to touch the dreaded spindle. :ermm: Not gonna lie, that part where Aurora walks up the stairs in a trance to her slumber death is so haunting and scary. :shiver:

IPB Image

The fairies come to the realization that Prince Philip is the man Aurora is in love with and are off to find him so he can awaken her with true love's kiss. Of course Maleficent has abducted him, but thankfully the fairies save him and provide him with the Sword of Truth and Shield of Virtue to fight Maleficent. Even dragon Maleficent is no match for him, as he stabs her in the heart. Aurora wakes up from Phillip's kiss, she reunites with her parents, and they all live happily ever after... in love! :wub:

IPB Image

ELLIOTT
22. Sleeping Beauty (1959)
Animated Walt Disney movie made pre-1970s, so I'm just going to assume it's probably got some racist undertone to it.

DEE
To be added.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris:

04. Mary Poppins

13. The Princess and the Frog

16. Sleeping Beauty

18. Lady and the Tramp

19. A Bug's Life

22. Pinocchio

24. The Jungle Book

25. Dumbo

26. Bambi

28. The Fox and the Hound

29. Incredibles 2

Dee:

10. The Princess and the Frog

16. The Jungle Book

17. Incredibles 2

18. Dumbo

19. Pinocchio

20. A Bug's Life

22. Bambi

24. Lady and the Tramp

25. The Fox and the Hound

28. Sleeping Beauty

29. Mary Poppins

Denise:

03. Dumbo

06. Bambi

07. The Fox and the Hound

14. Incredibles 2

21. Lady and the Tramp

22. Sleeping Beauty

25. Pinocchio

26. Mary Poppins

27. The Princess and the Frog

29. A Bug's Life

30. The Jungle Book

Diana:

12. Incredibles 2

14. Sleeping Beauty

16. The Princess and the Frog

21. Lady and the Tramp

23. Dumbo

24. Bambi

25. A Bug's Life

26. Mary Poppins

27. Pinocchio

28. The Fox and the Hound

30. The Jungle Book

Elliott:

08. Incredibles 2

09. A Bug's Life

10. The Princess and the Frog

13. Lady and the Tramp

18. The Jungle Book

19. Pinocchio

20. Bambi

21. The Fox and the Hound

22. Sleeping Beauty

24. Mary Poppins

28. Dumbo

Public:

14. Mary Poppins

18. The Fox and the Hound

20.Sleeping Beauty

22. Pinocchio

23. Dumbo

24. Lady and the Tramp

25. The Jungle Book

27. Bambi

28. The Princess and the Frog

29. A Bug's Life

30. Incredibles 2

Victoria:

08. Sleeping Beauty

09. Mary Poppins

12. A Bug's Life

13. Pinocchio

14. Dumbo

18. Lady and the Tramp

19. The Fox and the Hound

20. The Jungle Book

22. Bambi

24. Incredibles 2

30. The Princess and the Frog

Wallace:

10. Pinocchio

11. Bambi

12. A Bug's Life

13. The Jungle Book

16. Sleeping Beauty

17. Lady and the Tramp

18. Dumbo

20. The Princess and the Frog

23. The Fox and the Hound

26. Mary Poppins

30. Incredibles 2

Me after all the low rankings Sleeping Beauty received:

IPB Image

Sleeping Beauty would've received a higher ranking if it was up to me. I'm disappointed no one mentioned how beautiful the artwork for this film is. Look how impressive and stunning it is:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I'll always prefer animation like this over the computer animation that's popular today, and Sleeping Beauty has the best art style of any Disney film (at least in my opinion). Plus, Maleficent is the best Disney villain, too. Goofy villains can be fun, but I like the elegance Maleficent has and how she doesn't hide how evil she is either. Also, Aurora has the best singing voice of all the princesses. I know people give Aurora grief for not being in the movie much, but she is cursed to fall asleep after all. Plus, it is a film with a mostly female cast and passes the Bechdel test, and that should count for something. Oh, well. At least Sleeping Beauty ranked within the Top 20, but I still would've liked to have seen it higher than here.

Edited by Carrie&BlakeFan

:detective:

Technology back then wasn’t equipped to handle the style of moving background animations that they wanted to create, so they had to animate certain scenes on a glass film and they came up with a type of camera to handle it. It’s all on Walt Disney’s Wikipedia. :haha: