The Voice General Discussion Thread 🧵

istersay

35 minutes ago, WastedinMemphis said:

Great article! But yeah obviously Kelly and Carly have gone through a recent divorce so it makes sense that Kelly could relate to it. They are both close friends with Kelsea so they all probably have a lot in common.

5 hours ago, WastedinMemphis said:

I’m sure that the song is very emotional for her, but the idea that her divorce was highly public is questionable. She’s not exactly a household name.

1 hour ago, AngelaKD said:

I’m sure that the song is very emotional for her, but the idea that her divorce was highly public is questionable. She’s not exactly a household name.

Kelly is obviously a much bigger name than Carly is but a lot of Carly's success came because of the divorce and the amazing material that can from that short but rough time. Now Carly is the reigning CMA female artist of the year and her album ranks near top of almost every music publication lists. She has played the Opry 90 times now and was inducted as a member into there now. So in the country and Nashville circle that she lives in the divorce was a quite public thing there and is in part what made her who she is.

Edited by QueenKalie
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, AngelaKD said:

Within the country music community, which is what Carly is part of, it was highly public. It was all over country radio, the country music websites, and the country music gossip forums  

just bc you didn’t know who she was, doesn’t mean that’s true everywhere. 

• Like 5

Regarding the sob stories several of the contestants have shared on the show (or should I say, that TPTB makes them share), that often result in most of them getting emotional during their intro packages (or normal stories in which they still get emotional and TPTB plays it up with the sad music, etc), I know Luke Combs was rejected because he didn´t have one of those, but I do remember a few that didn´t as well, or at least they didn´t show it on tv.

An example that comes to mind is Sid Kingsley. His story was pretty much "yeah, I sing", no tears whatsoever. Watching it live, I feel like that was one of the reasons as to why his overall audition felt pretty refreshing to me.

This guy is a relatively popular vocal reaction channel and he reacted to OTR and The Chain from the finale. 

Title is kinda clickbait because YouTube. 

I think he represents the YouTube/Twitter “hyper-casual don’t actually watch the show” reaction to the results pretty well. But to be fair, he only reacted to those two performances, and that’s Wendy’s best vocal versus a bottom half vocal from GNT.

He clearly doesn’t watch the show but I think you sort of add to the sense why the voice never produces stars from how he talks about it

Edited by Thoughts and Sounds
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Thoughts and Sounds said:

This guy is a relatively popular vocal reaction channel and he reacted to OTR and The Chain from the finale. 

Title is kinda clickbait because YouTube. 

I think he represents the YouTube/Twitter “hyper-casual don’t actually watch the show” reaction to the results pretty well. But to be fair, he only reacted to those two performances, and that’s Wendy’s best vocal versus a bottom half vocal from GNT.

He clearly doesn’t watch the show but I think you sort of add to the sense why the voice never produces stars from how he talks about it

Half way through Wendy’s performance, he hits pause…”This is bullshit, she should have won.” :haha:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, AngelaKD said:

“This person should have won, but I’d never be caught dead voting for anyone on this show” pretty much sums up his rant.

Yep he's just like most of the complainers they complained about the result but didn't bother to vote and then cry it was rigged. Nah it ain't rigged you just didn't vote. :dead:

• Like 1

Somewhat disappointed in this, considering the Christmas song was promoted all week on their social media, and released two hours after their big win. I realize it hit Spotify a day later, but still. 

Spotify streams:

The Chain 47,483 

Baby Now That I’ve found You 40,252

No Snow For Christmas 14,734

I think NSFC peaked at #30 on iTunes, but quickly fell out of the top 200. 

I blame the audience for this, not GNT. They promoted the crap out of it. I even listened to it a few times. 

Edited by TeamAudra

1 minute ago, TeamAudra said:

Somewhat disappointed in this, considering the Christmas song was promoted all week on their social media, and released two hours after their big win. I realize it hit Spotify a day later, but still. 

Spotify streams:

The Chain 47,483 

Baby Now That I’ve found You 40,252

No Snow For Christmas 14,734

I think NSFC peaked at #30 on iTunes, but quickly fell out of the top 200. 

I blame the audience for this, not GNT. They promoted the crap out of it. I even listened to it a few times. 

I listened to it a couple times but I also hate Christmas songs so I dunno.

Just now, QueenKalie said:

I listened to it a couple times but I also hate Christmas songs so I dunno.

It seems to be aimed right at the demo, though. It’s annoying that they keep buying and streaming the Voice performances, but won’t support them on their original song. It actually pisses me off. 

• Like 2