IDF's Film Club - A Casual Rankdown - "Rotten" Films Posted

Alex95

6. Rashomon

Rashomon.jpg

5.29/7

Directed by Akira Kurosawa

Starring Toshiro Mifune, Machiko Kyō, Masayuki Mori, Takashi Shimura, Minoru Chiaki

Crime / Drama / Mystery

Japan

98% RT / 98 MC / 4.2 LB

Nominated for Best Foreign Language Film

Watch Trailer

@Steven_ - 4/7

@totes4totes - 4/7

@*Chris - 5/7

@#jeah - 5/7

@.Rei - 6/7

@Alex95 - 6/7

@~Tom~ - 7/7

Steven

I haven't heard of this film before. My first thought was that it was some type of war film, but it turned out to be something entirely different. The use of unreliable narrators made this more of an intriguing watch than I thought it'd be. It was an interesting story to see who was telling the truth all along, but it turned out they all were lying to some extent. Although certain technical aspects of the film looked underwhelming due to the time period it was released (the duel between the bandit and the samurai for example), the story itself was strong enough to keep my interest from beginning to end.

Megan

I am very interested in seeing where this lands. I really like Rashomon and I really like Akira Kurosawa. But I can see it not being as favorably received here. But it's a classic for a reason. We see the "Rashomon" structure and effect over and over now, but it's just very innovative in the way that the story is told and unfolds and the way it's filmed. It's again like watching Citizen Kane after watching other movies your entire life, what you see doesn't seem as impressive when you first watch it until you realize that these are new techniques. The way the light is used, the way contrasting shots are used, flashbacks that lie to you, and the way that there is no clear answer to the central murder. That same conceit is even used again in another movie in this set of movies we've chosen! This is the movie that brought Japanese (and along with it a lot of other East Asian cinema) to the west and I could have just as easily ranked it #1 as I do #4 here.

Chris

I struggled with my ranking of this film because I thought the films I ranked between 2 and 5 were all great in their own right, and any one of them could have been here. I really liked Rashomon and enjoyed the way it pulled us into the story through each narration, letting us trying to piece together what really happened. Every time the Bandit appeared on screen, I was totally engaged into his narration, especially the passion in his storyline. My personal favourite was the one where the Samurai took over his wife's body to explain his side of the events. All in all, it's clear that this film played a major role in the history of cinema, but I do think one's personal tastes most likely influenced one's ranking. That being said, I must admit that putting off watching this film until the last minute probably affected my overall viewing experience, so I'll have to learn not to procrastinate when it comes to this rankdown - I'll certainly rewatch it though!

Andy

Wow I didn’t realize this is such a landmark movie. I think similarly to Casablanca, a lot of what makes this movie so iconic has to be realized through its historical context. The “Rashomon effect” is definitely a thing, and a big part of this movie is focusing on all the differing accounts of how the murder of the samurai really unfolded. But when you add the context of this movie being made in post-WWII Japan, you can spend hours analyzing what this movie actually means or symbolizes. As for the actual viewing experience, it was challenging at times due to how old the movie is lol.

Rei

gK9DTp8.png

I liked this movie, but I thought I was going to love it more. The concept was brilliant, with different variations of the events told by different people, where the audience could choose what to believe. I think the part I didn't connect with the most was the characters, which at some points I found too cartoonish, but it was also the kind of characters you would expect from a Japanese film of the time, so it all comes down more to taste.

Alex

MVP: Machiko Kyō

Favorite Scene: A seance reveals the samurai's story

The Rashomon effect. I always love to see it used in film, yet I’ve never seen the original! Well, until now. And I gotta say…I almost loved it. Almost! The three stories were enthralling. I just pretty much love the Rashomon effect because it’s such an interesting way of storytelling. We get to see all three stories from all different points of view. It helps with character building and it makes you question each reality, and even your own reality. I will forever die on the hill that The Last Duel is one of the most underrated movies of the past decade, and Rashomon was a huge inspiration for the film as there are many similarities.

However, as enthralled as I was by the three stories, I didn’t give a single shit about the woodcutter, the priest, and the commoner. Why was all that nonsense included? It made the film feel a bit unfocused. And the ending with the baby did not work for me at all. A woman gets raped, nothing’s really solved about it, but the priest regains hope because a random commoner decides to raise a random baby that appeared out of nowhere? Weird ending. And I could’ve done without all the shrieking, maniacal laughter and crying. It felt like they only knew one way to portray the same emotion so they just acted the same way over and over again. It was borderline annoying. Despite all my complaints, I really liked the main part of the movie. Just wish it was more focused.

Tom

I have heard many good things about Akira Kurosawa (including seeing Akura Kurosawa's Dreams) and was intrigued by this film, but I couldn't connect with this very much. It did not help that the subtitles were a little weird and inconsistent. I'm sure that the same event being told from multiple varying perspectives inspired countless other films to do the same, though!

• Alex95 changed the title to IDF's Film Club - A Casual Rankdown - Oscar Nominees #6 Posted
2 hours ago, Alex95 said:

My personal favourite was the one where the Samurai took over his wife's body to explain his side of the events

That is actually a medium and not the wife :haha:

I had to go through Wikipedia cause I also thought the same while watching the film :haha:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, .Rei said:

That is actually a medium and not the wife :haha:

I had to go through Wikipedia cause I also thought the same while watching the film :haha:

You're smarter than I am because I did not google nor did I have the energy to do it :haha: 

5. Whale Rider

site_28_rand_640439876_whale_rider_627.gif

4.57/7

Directed by Niki Caro

Starring Keisha Castle-Hughes, Rawiri Paratene, Vicky Haughton, Cliff Curtis

Drama / Family

New Zealand

91% RT / 80 MC / 3.7 LB

Nominated for Best Actress

Watch Trailer

@#jeah - 2/7

@Steven_ - 3/7

@.Rei - 4/7

@~Tom~ - 5/7

@Alex95 - 5/7

@*Chris - 6/7

@totes4totes - 7/7

Andy

This was a classic for my family growing up. And man does it hold up with time. Keisha Castle-Hughes gives an amazing performance, but I think everyone in this cast really nailed it. What a beautiful story containing lots of messages and themes. This explores generational dynamics, facing reality rather than denying or fighting it, respecting nature, gender roles, and so much more. There are some really powerful scenes here like Pai’s speech to her no-show grandfather at her school, and of course the climactic moment at the end.

Steven

Whale Rider was one of the first films I watched from this list. I wasn't sure where it would've ranked overall afterwards, but it ended up in third place. At first, the movie's story structure didn't play out like I thought it would. I thought Pai proving she was the true leader would've happened at least by the halfway point, and then we see what happens afterwards. Instead, she finally proves she's the rightful leader, and then the film ends. I think we all saw where the film was going, so I don't think there was any suspense if she was the true leader or not. So, that part felt dragged out while the ending was rushed. Nonetheless, I still liked this film better than most of the other films here. I think Keisha Castle-Hughes was great in the lead role. She was very easy for the audience to root for. The scene when she's giving her speech when her grandfather didn't show up was heartbreaking. Whale Rider was an interesting watch, and it never felt boring. But is it a film I'd watch again? Probably not. But it was still one of the better films from this group.

Rei

33nGKok.png

I wish I had asked my New Zealand cousin more about his culture (an exchange student who stayed at my aunt's house for over a year about 15 years ago), as he is Maori.

This was a feel-good movie that left me with a warm feeling at the end. Of course, the amount of rejection Paikea received from her grandfather was abominable and the fact that her father left her there with that kind of grandfather is also terrible, but this naturally helped the plot and to display the traditions of the tribe.

I liked the fantastical aspects of the movie and how they were portrayed. The child actress was also very good and no wonder she was nominated for best actress at the Oscars, it was very deserved. Perfect comfort film!

Tom

Did they release the Moana remake early? J/k, I hadn't heard of this movie until I cut it in the 2000s film rankdown, but I ended up enjoying it well enough. The scenery was beautiful and Keisha Castle-Hughes was amazing as Paikea; one of the strongest performances by child actor for sure. Too bad she got stuck with a crappy role in GoT later in her career!

Alex

MVP: Keisha Castle-Hughes

Favorite Scene: Pai delivers her speech.

I really respect this movie. I love learning about different cultures and I really feel like, even if I didn’t love the movie, I still came out of the movie feeling glad I watched it. Tbh, I don’t really have a lot to say here, it’s probably gonna be one of my shorter comments. I don’t feel a lot of passion for the movie. I wasn’t completely engrossed in the storyline or the characters. But similarly I don’t have complaints. Simply, I thought it was really well-done and they did what they needed to do. It was emotional at the right times, it was smart. Like I said, this felt more like learning, but in a good way! I won’t watch this again, but I’m still glad I did.

Chris

I'd never heard of this film before the rankdown, so I was definitely looking forward to watching it. Now, despite the rankiong, I did like the film, but it simply did not stand out as much as the others. It was an easy watch, and I felt the importance of the storyline was successfully conveyed.Pai was certainly the heart of the film, with her wit, determination and ability to prove herself and challenge her tribe's tradition, like learning the training from her uncle because her grandfather refused to teach her. The ending did justice to the story and the role of Pai in the chiefdom, which had been hinted throughout the film. And, of course, we cannot talk about the film without mentionning Keisha Castle-Hughes who excelled in the role of Pai and certainly deserved that Oscar nomination.

Megan

This is a really good slate of movies for this month and unfortunately one of them has to be last. I think in comparison to the other movies this one feels a bit young in a way that I am a bit surprised that they gave a best actress nomination to Keisha Castle-Hughes. Don't get me wrong, she's very good but it's a bit of an odd choice. I guess when I think "2003" in movies, I don't think of a lot of English language movies with female leads. Obviously, that's LORD OF THE RINGS time. So I guess now I can see it. I liked this movie a lot. Despite it feeling like it was for a slightly younger audience, I still think it was engaging for adult watchers as well.

• Alex95 changed the title to IDF's Film Club - A Casual Rankdown - Oscar Nominees #5 Posted

4. Heavenly Creatures

image-w1280.jpg?size=800x

4.29/7

Directed by Peter Jackson

Starring Melanie Lynskey, Kate Winslet, Sarah Peirse, Diana Kent, Clive Merrison

Drama / Fantasy

New Zealand

95% RT / 86 MC / 3.7 LB

Nominated for Best Original Screenplay

Watch Trailer

@totes4totes - 1/7

@Alex95 - 2/7

@~Tom~ - 3/7

@*Chris - 4/7

@Steven_ - 6/7

@.Rei - 7/7

@#jeah - 7/7

Megan

I really love this movie. And in a lot of ways it's my hardest ranking. I think from a story, a filmmaking, an acting, and a directing perspective it all hits. But is it my like #1 over classics like Casablanca or movies like Anatomy of a Fall which are also excellent, maybe moreso objectively. But this is the movie that I've linked the longest of these, so I think that's worthy enough of a #1 ranking.

Alex

MVP: Kate Winslet

Favorite Scene: The ending

For some reason this is my third time watching this movie, though I feel like it’s not really a movie that has much rewatch value. Having said that, I’ve loved it more and more each time, so maybe it does? Peter Jackson walks a really fine line here. He develops the girls enough that we feel empathy for them, while also making them just the right amount of depraved that we’re fearful of them. The fact that these are real people and not just fictional characters does not make it easier to walk that line. In fact, I think it makes it more difficult because you don’t want to excuse real people who committed murder, while also being empathetic to what it’s like growing up in the 50’s as a lesbian.

But anyways, I just love this movie. It should come at no surprise that the fantasy aspect of this film just blows me away. I mean Peter Jackson nailing fantasy is like saying Kelly Clarkson nailed a cover. Just...duh. It actually made me think of Pan’s Labyrinth a bit. The way we were watching some of the darkest shit I’ve ever seen and then we get this gorgeous fantasy sequence that gives me so much life. And of course, what else needs to be said about Kate Winslet & Melanie Lynskey? The chemistry is palpable, and these are just two star-making performances. Their successes are very well-deserved.

Tom

The lesbian version of Leopold and Loeb! I had high hopes for Heavenly Creatures, but I ended up having mixed feelings on it. The first half dragged on too long and I only really liked the classroom scenes. I also expected it to be more horror then it ended up being, but most of the movie was exploring Juliet and Pauline's relationship. Melnaie Lynskey's narration was another bright point, but overall while it was decent, I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would.

Chris

By now you all know how much I love Kate Winslet, so I was very excited to watch this film, as it was one of the few Kate films I hadn't yet seen. And being the Kate Winslet fan that I am, it's no surprise that I absolutely loved this film; I thought Kate and Melanie Lynskey were brilliant in their respective roles, which were both their first movie role, and that they really complimented each other throughout the film. Of course, the film had no trouble holding my attention from start to finish, even though I figured out where the film was going somewhat fairly quickly despite never having heard of the story. I liked the fantasy aspect of Pauline and Juliet's story, especially the transition between real life and their imaginary world - the cinematography here was great. My only criticism is that it took me a while to understand that Hulme House was a place that housed university students, and I felt that Bill's presence came a little out of the blue, well for me at least.  Overall, I really enjoyed the film and it made me look more into the story, and it's a film that I would certainly recommend to others.

Steven

I wasn't a fan of this film. This real life story does make an interesting plot for a film, but the fantasy elements just threw me off. And yes, I know this Fourth World stuff was from the imagination of the real girls this story is about. But something about how it came across on film just made the entire film so weird. But Kate Winslet gives a standout performance. Even in her very first film role, she's very captivating and throws herself into the role with so much commitment. But even though I was impressed by her performance, I didn't find this to be an enjoyable film.

Rei

8VQHGNJ.png

This movie was kind of interesting because I was bored for the first half of the movie, but then it got interesting in the second part when the two teenagers became obsessive, petty and dangerous, and by then I was hooked. I liked how by the end they were so immersed in this fantasy world that they couldn't tell what was real anymore. Kate Winslet is always very good, but for me it was Melanie Lynskey who stole the show. I wasn't familiar with this story, but it was surprising to see that one of the teens became a mystery writer and no one knew her true identity for so many years. I would also be interested to see how closely the movie sticks to the actual facts.

Andy

Hmmm I kind of ranked this last by default. Also how interesting that we have two movies set in New Zealand here! I’ve been listening to a lot of true crime podcasts lately, and I actually listened to one on this case a couple months ago. But I had never seen this movie. I love Peter Jackson of course and think he did a great job with this. It’s certainly a 90s film lol. I think my issue with this is the pacing of the movie. I don’t like how the actual murder was basically at the end of the movie and then all we got afterwards was a text monologue. It kind of left me feeling a little…gross at the end. Idk. But it kept my interest throughout and cheers to the breakthrough role of Kate Winslet!

• Alex95 changed the title to IDF's Film Club - A Casual Rankdown - Oscar Nominees #4 Posted
2 hours ago, Steven_ said:

Everyone is so positive in their write-ups so far, and then there’s me. 🙈

LOL I was thinking the exact same thing. Here I am with "Wow all these movies are so good" and you going "I guess I didn't hate it"

• Haha 1

3. A Fantastic Woman

a-fantastic-woman.jpg

3.71/7

Directed by Sebastián Lelio

Starring Daniela Vega, Francisco Reyes, Luis Gnecco, Aline Küppenheim, Amparo Noguera

Drama

Chile

94% RT / 82 MC / 3.7 LB

Watch Trailer

Nominated for Best Foreign Language Film

@.Rei - 2/7

@*Chris - 3/7

@#jeah - 3/7

@~Tom~ - 4/7

@Alex95 - 4/7

@Steven_ - 5/7

@totes4totes - 5/7

Rei

EL7T6dV.png

I saw A Fantastic Woman for the first time six years ago and it had a huge impact on me. I was really looking forward to seeing it now to see how I feel about the film after so long and I have to say it still hits the same... it's heartbreaking to see the amount of discrimination, harassment, homophobia and rejection that Marina experienced throughout this film . .. the hospital staff, the police officers, the investigator, the son, the wife, the family members. They were all terrible people in their own way. When she was forced to strip naked it was simply heartbreaking, I can only imagine the amount of desperation, fear and frustration a person in this situation would feel, let alone a trans person. But despite all this, it is a perfect description of what trans people still have to go through today, especially in the South American community. It baffles me how Daniela Vega wasn't nominated for an Oscar, but at least the film won Best Foreign Film and rightly deserved it.

Chris

This is a movie I'd already seen, so I had an idea of where it would rank before my rewatch, which I have to say made me appreciate it more. First of all, we can't talk about the film without mentioning Daniela Vega's portrayal of Marina, who is certainly the heart of the film and who made makes us feel and understand the struggles she faces. While I recognize that some trans people do have issues with the film, which you can find out in some of the reviews on Letterboxd, I personally thought that, given the time (2017), especially in countries like Chile, the movie was done brilliantly and it portrayed the struggles that trans people can face in their daily lives, from relationships to interactions with law enforcement, healthcare, prejudice and harassment. Many of the scenes were able to showcase convey that through Daniela's portrayal of Marina, who is dealing with the loss of her lover, while at the same time being suspected of his accidental death and not being allowed to say a final goodbye as his family, mainly ex-wife and son, refuse to acknowledge her existence and relationship with Orlando.  At the heart of the film is no doubt Marina's determination, as we can tell when she finally gets the dog at the end of the film. I would have liked to have seen some deeper details to give us more context, such as Orlando's relationship with his family or his brother, but that might have distracted from the film's message. Overall, for me this was one of the best films in this round, and I would certainly recommend it to people.

Andy

Man there are a lot of heavy movies in this group lol. I loved this. Such a tender and compassionate film with a gorgeous performance from the lead. The movie really takes us into her world and we feel her pain without pitying her. She’s strong and puts up with a lot of adversity. There are enough compassionate people throughout the movie so it doesn’t feel completely hopeless. And there’s a somewhat happy ending!

Tom

I had first heard of this film while lurking the 2010s film rankdown and saw it made it quite far, so I was intrigued to watch it here. While I thought  it was slow in spots due to Marina not taking action at some points, but I get that was one of the intended messages and she got to be stubborn/assert herself in some moments throughout. It was more like a fight for what she needed after her boyfriend died in an environment that is unaccepting. I connected to the above films a little more but still a powerful watch! Nice that not only a transgender woman played the mian character but she got some input on the plot as well.

Alex

MVP: Daniela Vega

Favorite Scene: Marina dances in the club

Oof, that was a tough watch. I wish there was a bit more lightness to the story and not just trans trauma. I would’ve loved to see her relationship with her sister explored more. But I understand why they didn’t want to tonally move all over the place and respect the move. Overall, I really loved this movie. This was pretty much a one-woman show from Daniela Vega who completely dominated this film. The moments of actual joy really did stick out, such as the dance scene in the club, her finally getting to see the body, and the ending operatic scene. But oof, the scenes with the family and authorities were really hard to watch. Unfortunately, also realistic. I’m glad the filmmakers didn’t sugarcoat things. For those reasons, I can’t see myself bringing myself to watch it again. But it was still a fantastic movie [/punintended].

Steven

This film was fine. Although slow in parts, the runtime isn't long. So, it never felt like the film dragged. I think the movie was successful in what it set out to do. The lead character loses her partner and has to deal with what comes afterwards without a support system. Daniela Vega does a great job in the lead role. However, I think Marina lacked a bit of agency. It seemed like the audience was just supposed to feel sorry for her throughout the entire runtime. But I guess that was what the script wanted so audiences can see the transphobia trans people deal with on a daily basis? Overall, it wasn't a bad movie, but it's not one I would watch again.

Megan

I love this movie! I think Sebastián Lelio is lowkey one of my favorite directors and this movie is maybe his best work. And he has the lesbian spitting movie under his belt so that's pretty high praise. I think Daniela Vega is fantastic. Amazing what can be done when you cast trans actresses as trans characters. The script, the direction, and the acting all allow Marina to be a full person. Though I do wish we could have seen more of her aside from the violence and prejudice she faces as a trans woman. But I think at the time (only a scant 7 years ago) when we are looking in the rear view of very recent wins and critical acclaim for cis-men playing trans women, it's still a marvel. It's a really good movie. Again, would be higher in a different set.

• Alex95 changed the title to IDF's Film Club - A Casual Rankdown - Oscar Nominees #3 Posted
On 4/7/2024 at 5:09 PM, Alex95 said:

Since it's already been correctly guessed we can get a headstart on this as the countdown hopefully starts sometime this week...

April/May 2024 - "Rotten" Films

Screenshot-2023-12-18-at-11.54.44-AM-600

After looking at the Oscar nominations, the best of the best, we're going in another direction to look at the worst of the worst! Films that have been marked "rotten" on rottentomatoes.com. That means 60% of the reviews for this film are negative. You can use the critics or the audience score for your choice. If either are in the "rotten" territory, the choice is good. You can choose a guilty pleasure movie, an underrated gem, or just a flatout bad movie you wanna make everyone watch. The choice is yours!

If you need help finding out which films are rotten using this link directly to rotten films on the site can help you. Along with that, there's a lot of reddit and twitter threads about "rotten" films that fans find underrated. You can also look up an actor directly on rottemtomatoes and film rotten films they starred in. Plenty of ways to find your rotten film you'd like to submit!

@.Rei @totes4totes @Elliott @#jeah @Steven_ @FrogLenzen @*Chris @NGM @~Tom~

Also reminder bump if anyone else wants to play this round!

9 hours ago, Alex95 said:

Also reminder bump if anyone else wants to play this round!

I’ll pick a movie I haven’t seen yet: Anyone But You.

It’s supposed to be added to Netflix on April 23rd.

29 minutes ago, Steven_ said:

I’ll pick a movie I haven’t seen yet: Anyone But You.

It’s supposed to be added to Netflix on April 23rd.

Lol almost chose same movie for same reason

• Like 1

2. Anatomy of a Fall

231023-Frank-Anatomy-of-a-Fall-tease_yw2tqo

2.00/7

Directed by Justine Triet

Starring Sandra Hüller, Swann Arlaud, Milo Machado-Graner, Antoine Reinartz, Samuel Theis

Mystery / Crime / Thriller

France

96% RT / 86 MC / 4.2 LB

Nominated for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actress, Best Original Screenplay, Best Film Editing

Watch Trailer

@*Chris - 1/7

@~Tom~ - 1/7

@#jeah - 1/7

@Steven_ - 2/7

@.Rei - 3/7

@totes4totes - 3/7

@Alex95 - 3/7

Chris

This ranking may have been influenced by recency bias, but I truly haven't stopped thinking about this film since watching it. From the acting to cinematography to the screenplay - which really is what makes this movie, in my opinion - it has everything I love in a movie. In particular, it makes you question the events of the film - like whether Sandra did it or not - at the end of the film, which can lead to a good discussion. And when Sandra is acquitted and returns to her daily life, it brings up questions about what is next and what about lost time. As already mentioned, the acting is an important part of the film, particularly that of Sandra Hüller, Milo Machado-Graner, who managed to excelled in the complicated role of a child torn between two worlds, that of losing his father and then possibly losing another parent if she is convicted, and Antoine Reinartz, who managed to bring to life the cocky prosecutor to such an extent that some of his interrogations made me angry. And of course, the real star of the movie is Messi! I look forward to seeing more of Justine Triet's films, if Anatomy of a Fall is an example of her work and of what's to come.

Tom

Fantastic film! The trial sequences got a little bit long at times but Sandra Hüller was a queen in her role!

Andy

This is just a really powerful movie that affected me really deeply. Sandra Huller carries this but the direction and screenplay elevate it into something special too. There were some slower parts to the movie but I still think every scene was deliberate and it ended with a big question mark that is left up to the viewer’s interpretation. Not only the question “did she do it,” but also it leaves you asking yourself if you’d be willing to lie for your mom if you were the son. Just a really interesting story and I love this movie.

Steven

Anatomy of a Fall was a film I've been wanting to watch, especially seeing it up for awards this past awards season. So, I'm glad it was chosen for this month. I didn't know too much about the plot going in, so there was still some element of surprise while watching it. I thought it was a very intriguing storyline. I'm sure there are viewers who think that Sandra is guilty and got away with murder, but I didn't come to that conclusion by the end. I assumed she was innocent, and I was wondering if she'll be able to prove her innocence. I do think Samuel did commit suicide, and it was Sandra's words during that argument ("You choose to sit on the sidelines because you're afraid! And now you wake up and you're 40 and you need someone to blame and YOU'RE THE ONE TO BLAME!") that likely pushed him over the edge (no pun intended). The performances in the film were top-notch (particularly from Sandra Hüller), and its Oscars win for Best Original Screenplay was deserving too. It was a great film that lived up to the acclaim I heard about before watching.

Rei

TW9FRPS.png

Did she do it? Didn't she do it? We'll never know. But it doesn't matter and I also think it would have detracted from the film, if the answer were given to us. It's a near perfect film - the fight between them was a masterful piece of dialogue! Sandra Hüller was amazing! The kid was amazing too, and I was a little disappointed that he wasn't nominated for an Oscar as well. In any other round this would be an automatic #1, but this was a really strong group of films.

Megan

Getting both Anatomy of a Fall and Rashomon in the same month is kind of poetic. Two movies about a death all about a potential unknowable answer. Anyway, I loved this movie. Maybe a bit more than I expected to considering that it boils down essentially to a 2.5 hour long courtroom drama. But I think that speaks to the quality of everything from the script to the acting. What starts as seemingly an investigation in to how a man died reveals itself to actually be a treatise on how do we cope with dealing with the fact that some things are just unknowable. The way the movie cuts scenes short like the recorded fight between Sandra and Samuel or the way the ending is Daniel speaking all of his father's alleged speech on coming to grips with death play in to this perfectly. Also, if the Academy was set on giving a white woman the Oscar it should have been Sandra Hüller who is perfect in this (and also the best actor in Zone of Interest as well).

Alex

MVP: Sandra Hüller

Favorite Scene: Sandra and her husband fight

I’ve watched this twice now and have had pretty similar feelings both times. I enjoy the opening with the interview and the subsequent death. Then things slow down a bit for me and I start to lose interest. But once the trial really gets going, specifically when the audio of the fight is revealed, I am all the way in and completely enthralled for the rest of the movie. The ambiguity works perfectly in this film. When the movie ended, I didn’t feel robbed of knowing whether or not she killed him or it was a suicide. And for my money, I’m going with suicide.

Sandra Hüller got all the praise for this movie, and deservingly so. She portrays so many different emotions throughout the film. And the fight scene immediately shot to the top of the list of some of the greatest fight scenes ever on film. However, Milo Machado-Graner deserved just as much acclaim, if not more. He was the emotional core of the film and I held my breath throughout his final testimony. I just love all the ambiguity here. Did she do it? What does her kid actually think? What does the DOG think?! Just great stuff here.

• Alex95 changed the title to IDF's Film Club - A Casual Rankdown - Oscar Nominees #2 Posted

1. Casablanca

hi-casablanca-2676350.jpg

1.86/7

Directed by Michael Curtiz

Starring Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman, Paul Henreid, Claude Rains, Conrad Veidt

Drama / Romance

United States

99% RT / 100 MC / 4.3 LB

Nominated for Outstanding Motion Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, Best Screenplay, Best Cinematography – Black-and-White, Best Film Editing, Best Scoring of a Dramatic or Comedy Picture

Watch Trailer

@Steven_ - 1/7

@.Rei - 1/7

@Alex95 - 1/7

@*Chris - 2/7

@~Tom~ - 2/7

@totes4totes - 2/7

@#jeah - 4/7

Steven

It's embarrassing to admit I never watched Casablanca before, but I can finally cross it off my list. So, there were elements of Casablanca I knew about before watching it, so I was spoiled on a lot of plot details. I already knew it was set during WWII and there was a love story, but the lead character "does the right thing" by the end and they don't end up together. The movie has a lot of famous quotes too: "Here's looking at you, kid," "We'll always have Paris," "Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine," and "I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship." I already knew Casablanca is regarded as one of the greatest films of all time, so would I still be able to enjoy the film with such high expectations? The answer is yes. This really was a great film. The movie felt engaging as you enter the world of Rick's café and meet the people in his life. The performances were superb. Humphrey Bogart is excellent in the lead role, and he has great chemistry with Ingrid Bergman. The script is very strong too, and the plot moved at a great pace too. Not once did I ever feel like reaching for my phone because I was getting bored or distracted. And I feel like the movie still holds up today too. Even though Rick and Ilsa don't end up together, it was still a very satisfying ending and overall enjoyable movie-watching experience. This was a very easy #1 ranking for me.

Rei

zwZZdH3.png

What I'm enjoying most about this mini-rankdown, is the fact that I get to see classic films that I've never seen that are considered some of the best films of all time. I always come with the anticipation of seeing if they are going to live up to their legacy, and in some cases, they do (Double Indemnity for example), while in others they fail to impress (Jaws). Luckily for me, Casablanca falls into the former category. It is a master class in filmmaking. The story, the characters, the atmosphere drew me in throughout the film. Even if we see that the same themes shown here have been done a billion times in cinema over time, it's still nice to see how those films started it all. For me it's a perfect movie, without a single note!

Alex

MVP: Humphrey Bogart

Favorite Scene: Rick doesn't get on the plane

There were a lot of strong films this round, but throwing Casablanca into this game is like telling Michael Jordan to play little league basketball. I mean, Casablanca is just on a different level in every single possible way. Romance, drama, comedy, politics, music, cinematography, editing, writing, directing. Am I just listing parts of a film? Perhaps. Is this a predictable number one and win? Definitely. But, Casablanca just fires on all cylinders in a way almost nothing else can do.

I feel like there are film scholars who can go into why this movie is so groundbreaking and perfect much better than I can, especially the political aspect of it, so I’m just gonna quickly touch on two parts of the movie that aren’t really focused on. First, it’s sexy! Humphrey Bogart isn’t your typical leading man looks, but for some reason every time he called Ilsa “kid” my heart melted a little. And second, it’s funny?

“I’m shocked to find there’s gambling happening here!”

“Your winnings, sir”

“Oh, thank you very much”

And then when Rick holds a gun to the cop and he goes “Under the circumstances I will sit down :)”. Like, I’m sorry this movie just has everything. It’s just perfection.

Also I always think of the SNL skit when I think of this movie lol

Chris

What can be said about Casablanca that hasn't already been said? It's one of the most important films in the history of cinema, and I'm glad I finally watched it. While I found the first 30 minutes or so to drag on, the film picks up when we first meet Ilsa, played amazingly by Ingrid Bergman, who is another example of the femme fatale in Old Hollywood and helps drive the film forward. I enjoyed the progression of Rick's character throughout the film, particularly when he ends up helping the Bulgarian couple, and this all the way to the very last scene of the film. Of course, the acting is great, with the likes of Ingrid Bergman and Humphrey Bogart, but what stands out is the ability to tell this story through cinema at a time when it was most needed. Overall, I wasn't surprised that I enjoyed this film, as I've heard nothing but good things about it, and it's one that I would definitely watch again.

Tom

I did not get a chance to watch this again but it's Casablanca and it's iconic, complete with the over-the-top dialogue.

Megan

I often lament here the lack of "movie stars" today when we watch these older movies. And I think this really exemplifies the power of a star. This is kind of a middling script but it's greatly elevated by just perfect performances of the two leads Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman who are two of the finest actors to have ever been on screen. Their charisma carries the script and their chemistry carries the movie. It's very easy to watch this and understand almost perfectly why it's become such an enduring classic. Great choice for this chunk of movies.

Andy

A classic, I watched this on a plane for the first time several years back. It’s hard for me to be engrossed by a movie so old, but Casablanca succeeds. I think it loses points because there’s a lot of historical context here that kind of goes over my head, but still an iconic movie that I genuinely like.

• Alex95 changed the title to IDF's Film Club - A Casual Rankdown - Oscar Nominees #1 Posted