QC ranks the Blind Auditions [9-1 posted lol]

QueenCami

35 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

changed my answer to the fourth clue. After the clues you came up with last round this seems more on brand for you :haha:

wait omg is the reason my "waves" clue from last time be honest 😭 

def not one of my best clues, but i thought "water" would be too obvious and i love a good red herring, but unfortunately the herring was not red enough

i will say that i think that my clues this time are more reasonable than that one but also theyre a little unhinged so oh well

4 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

wait this is so tragic can i go back and change it /joking

He would be my #2 so :giggle:

(also another reason I’m not doing a ranking, I’ve basically given it away already lmao)

13 minutes ago, nytsch said:

He would be my #2 so :giggle:

(also another reason I’m not doing a ranking, I’ve basically given it away already lmao)

yeah it's so hard to not speak my mind because i have LOOOOOTS to say at all times. so i have to force myself to stop talking so that i don't completely give away stuff.

i mean, i think the general landscape of my top 5 is pretty obvious, but there should be at least a few surprises (mainly because there were some surprises for me when ranking them that i haven't expressed on here).

1 hour ago, QueenCami said:

Cait Martin (1)
Rachel Christine (1)
Holly Brand (1)
Allie Keck (5)
JB Somers (TBA)

D. Smooth (TBA)
NariYella (5)
Jamar Langley (TBA)
Gina Miles (3)
Kate Cosentino (3)
Kala Banham (5)
Jerome Godwin (TBA)
Kason Lester (5)
Kylee Dayne (5)
Grace West (TBA)

NO CHAIR 1

NO CHAIR 2

This has potential to be good or it can go incredibly south, be careful bestie 💖

Interesting rankings.

Magnus - didn't do anything for me personally. As you pointed out, he had some forced notes and pitch issues and that's enough to bring it down to what would be the bottom half of my own list. If I want low notes and runs I'd rather listen to Jerome.

Agreed with Tasha

Sorelle -

"their harmonies were extremely tight, and unlike other trios we've had in the past, they're all going for genuinely challenging notes instead of going for a more folksy, angelic vibe."

2 seasons later and you're still throwing shade at GNT. Keep coping..

In all seriousness, I'd have this higher. Agreed with everything you said. I also think they're probably the most unique contestants this season, so that's an added plus.

I also totally relate to what you say about oveplaying performances. Usually I take a break from listening to it, I come back months later and my enjoyment comes back.

disagree about Ryley, I thought the majority of the runs were well placed. If anything, I would have liked him to take it a bit higher towards the end Calum Scott style while keeping his runs and melodic changes. I think it would have added more emotion.

Edited by Hsamid

47 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

Interesting rankings.

Magnus - didn't do anything for me personally. As you pointed out, he had some forced notes and pitch issues and that's enough to bring it down to what would be the bottom half of my own list. If I want low notes and runs I'd rather listen to Jerome.

Agreed with Tasha

Sorelle -

"their harmonies were extremely tight, and unlike other trios we've had in the past, they're all going for genuinely challenging notes instead of going for a more folksy, angelic vibe."

2 seasons later and you're still throwing shade at GNT. Keep coping..

In all seriousness, I'd have this higher. Agreed with everything you said. I also think they're probably the most unique contestants this season, so that's an added plus.

I also totally relate to what you say about oveplaying performances. Usually I take a break from listening to it, I come back months later and my enjoyment comes back.

disagree about Ryley, I thought the majority of the runs were well placed. If anything, I would have liked him to take it a bit higher towards the end Calum Scott style while keeping his runs and melodic changes. I think it would have added more emotion.

- yeah, i get what u mean regarding Magnus. i think i liked his overall performance so much that i was willing to forgive technical issues, and as you can see by my rankings, i also preferred Jerome

- yes I am referencing GNT but it's not actually a bad thing. it's just like how some people prefer Lauren Duski to Chris Blue -- they're different styles of singing. Chris' style of singing is undoubtedly more impressive to me but Lauren's is really pretty in a way that Chris' never was. 

i understand placing ryley higher! he's a great singer. i don't connect with him but i appreciate a good pop powerhouse. don't remember enough about the Calum Scott version to say whether i agree or not, but also be careful mentioning that version; Someone648 might get mad!

• Like 1

17. Kala Banham

A really stunning performance! Kala has a really pretty tone and she chose an excellent song to show it off. The most exciting part of the song is when the instruments come in at 0:41, probably around where I'd turn? Based on the beginning of the song, you wouldn't be able to tell, but she has a voice with good belting range! She showed off a little more later on. I do NOT like the cursive stuff at 1:20 onward. Knocks this down a ton for me, but I imagine it adds to the appeal for a lot of people.

HINT: Well, obviously... you took a flight to LA! [congrats to @FloorWax on getting this first! though smh because you changed your guess]

Kala has indeed looked at clouds from both sides, since in her daily life she sees clouds from below, and on her plane flight to LA, she saw the clouds from above.

16. D.Smooth

D.Smooth has a really cool voice that adds flavor to this tasteless song. I don't love all of his vocal choices, but his runs are quite nice -- they've grown on me since when his performance aired. However, one vocal choice that really bothers me are his ad-libs; they don't sound good within the context of the song (and I thought the same was true in the battles). Also, the "woah, yeah-yeah-yeah" at the end of the song sounded really not great to me. Unfortunately, those issues along with the uninspired song choice knock this down the ratings for me, but his voice is good for certain.

HINT: According to Wikipedia, this contestant is a "British comedian, actor, writer and television personality." [congrats to @FloorWax on getting this first!]

D.Smooth's given name is David Mitchell, which is also the name of a British comedian / actor / writer / television personality.

15. Holly Brand

This is an extremely challenging performance to rank because Holly is so clearly very talented and this performance is good but there are some issues. I can see why Kelly turned so early in the performance because she has a strong tone and it's clear that she's a powerhouse. However, later in the song, the problems emerge: her enunciation is really quite bothersome to me. "That I've really always been" is extremely clear and I probably only know that that's what she's saying because I've looked up the lyrics. Nonetheless, she vocally sounds good here; she definitely has the belting voice for Faith Hill. Plus, her run on "girl" near the end of the song is super excellent and definitely the apex of the performance for me. Alas, I'm drawn away from her performance again right afterward due to her whistle note, which doesn't feel like it fits at all in the song. It doesn't matter to me that there's no whistle note in the original song there; what bothers me is that it is so clearly just thrown in there to impress the coaches with no regard for how it fits into the song. It makes sense to take creative liberties and change stuff up, but you can't sacrifice the integrity of the song in order to do so. Overall, an extremely strong vocal performance with a few issues.

HINT: Do we think this contestant's next performance is going to be about old people? [congrats to @FloorWax on getting this first!]

Holly first sang "Mississippi girl," then sang "Lady like," so naturally, her next song will be about an elderly woman.

14. Rachel Christine

Rachel starts off with a beginning that feels haunting and extremely pretty. However, it's impossible to figure out what she's saying at points; did anyone actually hear "flattered" when she said it? I had no idea that that was a word in any part of the song until I looked up the lyrics while trying to figure out a hint for this song. Nonetheless, I'm willing to forgive these issues because the beginning is so well-executed in terms of the vibe. Afterward, she flips into this more aggressive style of singing, which is really well done for the most part as well, though the transition was a little odd. Unfortunately, her big note on "unfortunate" was not perfectly executed despite the rest of the second half being good. Since this feels like the apex, big moment of the performance, it's a little sad that it went wonky. Additionally, it's an abrupt ending to the song. Overall, Rachel is great, but issue knocked her down a bit. 

HINT: "Would you ever wanna hang out socially?"

This is what a contestant on American Idol said after she was "uninvited" from the competition.

• Like 1

• QueenCami changed the title to QC ranks the Blind Auditions [17-14 posted: They're great, but...]

1 minute ago, Cookie73 said:

Not more of my favorite auditions getting knocked down 😥. Only 2 of my Top 8 are left (and maybe 4 of my Top 12)

And Kason and 2 no chairs outlasted them…..

for what it's worth, past #20, none of the rankings matter that much to me. all of these are very good auditions and probably some of the ones in the bottom of the top 20 could make my top 7-8 depending on my mood. 

anyway new hints in my next post !

18 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

Smooth has a really cool voice that adds flavor to this tasteless song. I don't love all of his vocal choices, but his runs are quite nice -- they've grown on me since when his performance aired. However, one vocal choice that really bothers me are his ad-libs; they don't sound good within the context of the song (and I thought the same was true in the battles). Also, the "woah, yeah-yeah-yeah" at the end of the song sounded really not great to me. Unfortunately, those issues along with the uninspired song choice knock this down the ratings for me, but his voice is good for certain.

For some reason this doesn’t read like the writeup for someone placed 16th but I respect the placement lol.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

For some reason this doesn’t read like the writeup for someone placed 16th but I respect the placement lol.

fair lol. as i said my opinion changes per day, but i still firmly place this in the "good" category, even though i had criticisms. really my issue is his ad libs i think theyre terrible but his voice and his runs are nice, despite the terrible song choice.

5 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

Also, I did not expect to get that Holly clue right :dead:

yeah i was SO impressed when u posted like 15 minutes after and got 3/4 of the hints right. i thought my hints were really hard 😭 and honestly they probably were fairly hard but you're just too good

• Haha 1

I thought D Smooth was pretty good the first time, but I relistened and didn’t like it at all 💀 I do hear his potential though and he had a great growth from blinds to battles

The rest I’d have higher (well maybe Rachel about the same) but I can understand those placements

I wonder if the Ariana one is Jerome, although I feel like 1) that would be too obvious and 2) I think he’s higher, but I also didn’t expect Sorelle so low so who knows lol

11 hours ago, QueenCami said:

I hope facebook doesn’t call her a screamer…

DASHA - she auditioned with "ICSTR", the song that made Kim begin to be considered a "screamer" on FB.

Just now, allistr said:

DASHA - she auditioned with "ICSTR", the song that made Kim begin to be considered a "screamer" on FB.

I believe she got screamer comments since her blind which is utterly ridiculous

• Sad 1