FloorWax reviews every TVUS Winner's Journey (Season 22 Posted!)

FloorWax

20 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

I didn't find the time to watch Billy or Ali's runs but I'll definitely share my thoughts when I do (and I will) :yes:

I would say that Sundance, Billy and Ali were my Top 3 that season (I still don’t know how Josh managed to make the finale over Ali)

Wait, I actually really, really like Billy's voice lmao. His upper range is insane. Though, he's probably the embodiment of "technique over emotion" for me. I disagreed with the criticisms about Jordan not connecting, but whenever Billy showed an ounce of emotion it just felt like theater (*cough cough* My Way). It prevented me from getting into most of his live performances. Loved his audition though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daillon said:

Sundance was the best contestant from S11 but his "highs" pale in comparison with most winners', which is why I usually rank him towards the bottom.

Strongly agree with this. None of his performances were memorable enough for me to want to rewatch a month from now. That’s why I contemplated putting him below Cassadee but girl just had too many weak performances for me to justify it. Plus, I rewatched her to make sure and I just don’t like her tone that much.

Edited by FloorWax

Sundance is great. I actually did like the country -soul combination he has during the show, and yeah, definitely the most consistent performer of the season. Dude didnt falter. His finale set was particularly cool IMO. 

I agree that the Me and Jesus song choice is a adquired taste. (You should have seen Mjsbigblog's reaction lol, they shredded him to pieces, although they hate country more than IDF). That being said, I enjoyed it. That feet stomping ending was pure bluegrass, which I do dig.

I’m just going to get this out of the way (because there are a lot of arguments that happen out of the Top 2). Chris and Lauren were both very good on the show, and deserved to be the Top 2. In terms of the controversy, people do go overboard here when talking about who “the real winner” is, even six years later. It would have been worse if Aliyah or even Jesse won. I don’t understand why the drama only happens with this result and not others.

The result I was more frustrated about this season was that Gwen didn’t get a finalist that season, when she had two chances, and both ended up getting bad song choices in the Semis. 

Edited by Cookie73

Sundance was good, although I agree about the lack of real standouts or performances I’d go back to. His finale was really good, glad to see At Last getting some appreciation and the original was surprisingly good too. Love Can Build a Bridge is a deserving second. Apart from that, yeah I often appreciated his reimagining of the songs more than I liked the performance itself. I’ve never been able to find the Me and Jesus performance lol, I didn’t even find it on Soap although maybe I’m just dumb? I feel like I would like it for some reason

Ok, I really don’t know this is controversial (probably it is if I’m having to consider it lol) but I wasn’t really either Team Chris or Team Lauren? Lost my faves in the semis. I will say based on finale alone, I think Chris won.

I agree about Sundance. His highs aren't as impressive as most winners but I don't think it's due to lack of ability.

I haven't watched his entire run since it last aired but I remember him not really exerting himself vocally. You got the feeling he could do more if he wanted to.

I don't wanna say he played it safe either since he countrified non country songs. But something about him vocally was "safe" to me. Unlike say Craig or Adam who really put their all into some of their performances. 

Again, it's been a while so what I'm saying may not have any merit, but you know me, I like to type long paragraphs.

That being said, he's still the most versatile and musical out of the 3 imo just based on his song choices and arrangements of them.

Edited by Hsamid
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

Let me guess, Hunter Plake?

Yeah, and to a lesser degree Brennley and Vanessa too (If I Were Your Woman is an all time great KO). But yes, I liked those 3 better than all of the finalists :stealth:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, nytsch said:

Ok, I really don’t know this is controversial (probably it is if I’m having to consider it lol) but I wasn’t really either Team Chris or Team Lauren? Lost my faves in the semis. I will say based on finale alone, I think Chris won.

I’m on the same boat but unlike you I thought Lauren won finale night 

S12 is a weird season for me, I still don’t know how to feel about it. I think the lives lacked “moments” and I didn’t really have a snowflake, but its Top 12 is one of the most solid across the board and I enjoyed everyone who made Top 8 at some point in the competition which is extremely rare.

8 minutes ago, Daillon said:

S12 is a weird season for me, I still don’t know how to feel about it. I think the lives lacked “moments” and I didn’t really have a snowflake, but its Top 12 is one of the most solid across the board and I enjoyed everyone who made Top 8 at some point in the competition which is extremely rare.

I don’t think I liked Aliyah at any point 😬

That sounds mean but yeah, at her best I thought she was okay? And she was often not at her best…

Otherwise I agree. TSoul I wasn’t crazy about either, but I actually agreed with Blake picking him and I liked At This Moment.

20 minutes ago, Daillon said:

Funny you say that cause I honestly barely remember anyone other than Vanessa, Hunter, Chris, and Lauren.

15 minutes ago, nytsch said:

I don’t think I liked Aliyah at any point 😬

That sounds mean but yeah, at her best I thought she was okay? And she was often not at her best…

Otherwise I agree. TSoul I wasn’t crazy about either, but I actually agreed with Blake picking him and I liked At This Moment.

Oops I forgot about TSoul :haha: 

As for Aliyah, I never thought she was that bad?? She had a great voice, and her first 4 performances + Jealous were very good imo.

Her live shows were extremely average but Blake did her so dirty with those song choices. Her T12 and T11 in particular were “Suds In The Bucket” levels of sabotage

Her finale performances sucked, I’ll give you that

43 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

Funny you say that cause I honestly barely remember anyone other than Vanessa, Hunter, Chris, and Lauren.

It was forgettable, sure, but I don’t think it had any major duds (Mark wasn’t great but we’ve seen way, WAY worse)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Daillon said:

As for Aliyah, I never thought she was that bad?? She had a great voice, and her first 4 performances + Jealous were very good imo.

I'm low-key an Aliyah stan so I'm glad you liked those! :ph34rwave:Jealous in particular was my favorite performance from her!

Edited by allistr
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Daillon said:

yeah i've never understood people not liking her ?? i thought she was a strong powerhouse-type singer. 

edit: actually i guess i kinda get it because there were lots of strong contestants (Vanessa, Hunter, Brennley), so i can understand people's frustration with her moving on if the others were their favorites

Edited by QueenCami
  • Like 2