American Idol Rankdown 3.0 (Rebooted)

sublymonal

matt-rogers.jpg

Matt Rogers

I actually think I could have saved all of Qaasim, Ramiele, or Paul McDonald lol but I went with Qaasim. Matt Rogers is another guy with a name that is also the name of somebody more famous so you do have to google "Matt Rogers American Idol" to figure out who he is. Anyway, he was the second person voted off of season 3 of American Idol. I am not looking his performances up. Since American Idol he has hosted things. Things that I have not watched. Seems like now he hosts a podcast and is really Evangelical. HE's also bald.

Ramiele Malubay

malubay_idol2_girls.jpg

Ramiele Malubay was a contestant on season 7 of American Idol and she placed 9th place. Ramiele auditioned with "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman" by Aretha Franklin. Although Simon voted "no", Randy and Paula voted "yes", sending her to the next round. Judging from the songs she sang she prefered older songs as she sang a couple of songs from The Beatles a Dolly Parton song, so the song choice selection is kinda meh and not really my thing. She got eliminated when she sang Dolly Parton's "Do I Ever Cross Your Mind" I listened to it and it wasn't very good so it's not surprising that she got eliminated aftwards but here is that video of her singing it. 

• Thanks 1

Rickey Smith

Rickey Smith dead American Idol

https://variety.com/2016/tv/news/american-idol-finalist-dead-rickey-smith-car-crash-1201768118/

Rickey was on Season 2 with Ruben and Clay and that whole gang. He auditioned with a Brian McKnight song and made it all the way to the Top 8, making it past the Cory disqualification episode. But after that he was in the bottom 3 with Kimberly and Kimberley and he ended up going home. I probably could have lived with him in the Top 7 over Carmen but really the rest of the contestants made sense. Also depending on who Josh Gracin is, I always get him confused with other contestants and I'm not going to double-check which guy that is at the moment. Rickey was killed in 2016 by a drunk driver going the wrong way on the freeway in Oklahoma. He was 36. 

Save the other guy for my bff Wallace

3 hours ago, QueenKalie said:

Ramiele Malubay

Judging from the songs she sang she prefered older songs as she sang a couple of songs from The Beatles a Dolly Parton song, so the song choice selection is kinda meh and not really my thing.

Those were the themes :dead: 

On 6/10/2024 at 6:04 PM, sublymonal said:

American Idol Rankdown 3.0

Round 3: Hollywood Week - Lines of 12

American Idol season 20 episode 7 performances ranked: Who was best? -  GoldDerby

At this point, 206 contestants remain vying of title of the winner of the third rankdown and 128 of them are vulnerable for this next round.

For this next round, the judges (our Rankers) will divide the contestants that were not cut or saved in Round 2 into groups of 12.

The remaining six rankers will then cut one and save one from each line. Each ranker is responsible for the write-up of the contestant they cut.

Contestants that are saved will automatically move on to Round 4 with those that have immunity and were saved in Round 2. Therefore, each contestant can only be nominated once this round, so choose wisely.

Any contestant that does not get nominated this round will also automatically move on to Round 4.

Also, as a word of warning, there are limits on how many FOX era (S1-15) versus ABC era (S16-22) contestants make the "finals" of this competition, so nominate, cut, and save wisely because at some point, the contestants that remain from each era may automatically advance to the finals! 😱

The rankers will nominate in the following order generated by random.org:

1. @FrogLenzen

2. @thevoiceisthetop

3. @Elliott

4. @jarmon

5. @QueenKalie

6. @totes4totes

7. @Alex95

Each ranker will have 24 hours from the end of the previous ranker's nominations to nominate.

If they fail to do so, random.org will nominate for them.

For reference, the contestants vulnerable this round are below.

I will update this list as they get nominated, cut, and saved.

Aaron Kelly

Ace Young

Ada Vox

Adanna Duru

Alex Preston

Amanda Overmyer

Amber Holcomb

Amy Adams

Anthony Federov

Anwar Robinson

Ashthon Jones

Ava Maybee

Brandon Rogers

Bucky Covington

Burnell Taylor

Camile Velasco

Carmen Rasmusen

Casey Abrams

Casey James

Chikezie

Chris Richardson

Chris Sligh

Christina Christian

CJ Harris

Clay Aiken

Corey Clark

Crystal Bowersox

Curtis Finch Jr.

Daniel Seavey

David Hernandez

DeAndre Brackensick

Dennis Lorenzo

Devin Velez

Diana DeGarmo

Didi Benami

Dimitrius Graham

Elliott Yamin

Emily Piriz

Erika Van Pelt

Fritz Hager

George Huff

Gianna Isabella

Gina Glocksen

Grace Leer

Haley Scarnato

Haven Madison

Heejun Han

Huntergirl

Jacob Lusk

James Durbin

Janelle Arthur

Jasmine Murray

Jasmine Trias

Jason Castro

Jay Copeland

Jeremy Rosado

Jessica Sierra

Jordin Sparks

Jorge Nunez

Josh Gracin

Joshua Ledet

Julia Demato

Justin Guarini

Karen Rodriguez

Katie Stevens

Kim Caldwell

Kimberly Locke

Kree Harrison

Kris Allen

Lacey Brown

Lazaro Arbos

Leah LaBelle

Lisa Tucker

MacKenzie Bourg

Maddie Poppe

Madison VanDenburg

Madison Watkins

Majesty Rose

Malaya Watson

Mandisa

Matt Giraud

Matt Rogers

Melissa McGhee

Michael J. Woodard

Michael Johns

Michael Lynche

Michelle Sussett

Mike Parker

MK Nobilette

Naima Adedapo

Nick Fradiani

Nikko Smith

Noah Thompson

Olivia Rox

Paige Miles

Paris Bennett

Paul Jolley

Paul McDonald

Qaasim Middleton

Quentin Alexander

Ramiele Malubay

Rayvon Owen

Rickey Smith

Roman Collins

Ruben Studdard

Ryan Starr

Sam Woolf

Sanjaya Malakar

Sarina-Joi Crowe

Scott Macintyre

Scotty McCreery

Siobhan Magnus

Skylar Laine

Sophia James

Stefano Langone

Stephanie Edwards

Tamyra Gray

Taylor Hicks

Thia Megia

Trenyce

Tristen Gressett

Tyanna Jones

Tyson Venegas

Uché

Vanessa Olivarez

Vonzell Solomon

Walker Burroughs

Willie Spence

@QueenKalie ur turn with 12

14 hours ago, *Chris said:

Those were the themes :dead: 

14 hours ago, QueenKalie said:

oh well. :dead:

Yeah, the themes were really bad in S7. :haha: It had the old semifinal 24/20/16 format and the themes for those week were 60s/70s/80s. It was awful.

That being said, Dolly Parton night is one of the best in Idol history, but that's to be expected with one of the greatest songwriters of all time. ❤️

5 minutes ago, Weedy_Speedy said:

Yeah, the themes were really bad in S7. :haha: It had the old semifinal 24/20/16 format and the themes for those week were 60s/70s/80s. It was awful.

That being said, Dolly Parton night is one of the best in Idol history, but that's to be expected with one of the greatest songwriters of all time. ❤️

Dolly is an icon for sure.

• Like 1

Idk if this is unpopular opinion or not but specific theme weeks >>>>>>>. I like when they force the contestants out of their comfort zone. Like we’re not getting David Cook singing “Little Sparrow”, “Always Be My Baby” and “Music of the Night” without them and all turned out to be unexpectedly fantastic moments.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, QueenKalie said:

I personally don't like specific themes because it usually ends up very poorly.

That’s because these new era kids don’t know how to step out of their comfort zone. They only sing songs they’ve performed for TikTok 100 times and are comfortable with

• Like 3

Just now, Alex95 said:

That’s because these new era kids don’t know how to step out of their comfort zone. They only sing songs they’ve performed for TikTok 100 times and are comfortable with

I guess maybe it depends on the artist but having a bunch of people sing Adele who had no business singing Adele was bound to end in disaster. But maybe that's what they wanted idk.

11 minutes ago, QueenKalie said:

I guess maybe it depends on the artist but having a bunch of people sing Adele who had no business singing Adele was bound to end in disaster. But maybe that's what they wanted idk.

I mean it shouldn’t be easy. They’re searching for the best talent in the country. 

the point of themed weeks in american idol has always been twofold. for the artists who are still trying to foster a sense of their artistic identity, it offers them avenues to experiment with the kind of music they'd never go out of their way to sing and see what works best for them as musicians in training. on the other hand, for the artists with a great deal of confidence in their identity, it's a way to make sure they're always being challenged. a lot of the artists you see with the most certainty of who they are as artists happen to be country singers, many of whom often remain within the lane of country music when given the choice to choose songs of their own volition; themed weeks are the guardrails that ensures that the competition isn't an indistinguishable victory march for the scotty mccreerys of the season who would, if given the choice, choose the exact songs you'd expect them to choose week in and week out (maybe not the best example, but anyway...)

if an artist isn't able to navigate a themed week with the kind of specificity that keeps them outside of their comfort zone – like, for example, an adele week – then, chances are, they're not as suited for a competition with the kind of demand that idol has. then again, it's specific themed weeks that gave us the best performances from people like kris allen, david cook, maddie poppe, candice glover... even abi carter, i'd argue, was able to take the competition into her hands when forced outside of her comfort zone. themed weeks are absolutely necessary to keep the competition engaging and make sure artists are always learning and growing, even if they end up taking risks that don't end up panning out. 

• Like 3