American Idol Season 21 Spoilers - Presented By The Idol Pad

Idol Maniac

7 minutes ago, CarmenSandiego said:

Ah.  Thanks for explaining it to me.

And sorry that my response to your saying that Colin was going to win was so snippy.  I think that the proclamation that another country or country-adjacent white guy with a guitar was going to win just set me off, because I'm the type of person who goes for the girl singers.  But since Marybeth is a country female, she might have the best chance of giving Colin a run for his money and maybe beating him, especially if all his performances sound the same.  That was one of the reasons why Caleb Lee lost his season -- almost all of his performances sounded the same and thus they became boring.  If Colin makes the same mistake, then girls like Marybeth or We might have a chance.

I do think a girl can win this season and they don’t even have to be country as neither Maddie or Samantha was, but…it is exponentially harder…it will come down to of course the performances and also how the show is edited…unlike you, I do not believe Caleb lost because all his performances “sounded the same” … I believe the reason he lost ultimately came down to how the show was edited that season and that he was actually severely undereditted in the beginning rounds…he was probably one of the most “forgettable” contestants that made it to second place….the only reason he made it that far was because he was a country male…if Caleb had been edited more favourably in the earlier rounds…he probably would’ve won…

Edited by kenboy123

4 minutes ago, CarmenSandiego said:

Ah.  Thanks for explaining it to me.

And sorry that my response to your saying that Colin was going to win was so snippy.  I think that the proclamation that another country or country-adjacent white guy with a guitar was going to win just set me off, because I'm the type of person who goes for the girl singers.  But since Marybeth is a country female, she might have the best chance of giving Colin a run for his money and maybe beating him, especially if all his performances sound the same.  That was one of the reasons why Caleb Lee lost his season -- almost all of his performances sounded the same and thus they became boring.  If Colin makes the same mistake, then girls like Marybeth or We might have a chance.

A lot of us prefer the women singers too but we have reached the level of acceptance that Idol and even The Voice are dominated by men because the majority of the people who vote are bored housewives that need something to look at and drool over. Once you reach that level of acceptance and realize that winning is largely irrelevant anyways the happier you will be.

6 minutes ago, QueenKalie said:

A lot of us prefer the women singers too but we have reached the level of acceptance that Idol and even The Voice are dominated by men because the majority of the people who vote are bored housewives that need something to look at and drool over. Once you reach that level of acceptance and realize that winning is largely irrelevant anyways the happier you will be.

this pattern only happens in America btw…

Edited by kenboy123

3 minutes ago, kenboy123 said:

I do think a girl can win this season and they don’t even have to be country as neither Maddie or Samantha was, but…it is exponentially harder…it will come down to of course the performances and also how the show is edited…unlike you, I do not believe Caleb lost because all his performances “sounded the same” … I believe the reason he lost ultimately came down to how the show was edited that season and that he was actually severely undereditted in the beginning rounds…he was probably one of the most “forgettable” contestants that made it to second place….the only reason he made it that far was because he was a country male…if Caleb had been edited more favourably in the earlier rounds…he probably would’ve won…

It's probably more accurate to say that Caleb Lee lost because he wasn't memorable enough to get a favorable edit in the beginning rounds.  Had he been more memorable like Chayce or Noah early on, he probably would have won.  We'll have to see how memorable Colin is compared to Chayce, Noah and Caleb Lee.  If he's more like Caleb Lee, he won't win.  If he's more like Chayce and Noah, Colin has a much better chance.

6 minutes ago, QueenKalie said:

I probably should accept that, but I'm just too competitive when it comes to my favorites.  That's a flaw of mine, and it always has been one.

3 minutes ago, CarmenSandiego said:

It's probably more accurate to say that Caleb Lee lost because he wasn't memorable enough to get a favorable edit in the beginning rounds.  Had he been more memorable like Chayce or Noah early on, he probably would have won.  We'll have to see how memorable Colin is compared to Chayce, Noah and Caleb Lee.  If he's more like Caleb Lee, he won't win.  If he's more like Chayce and Noah, Colin has a much better chance.

I probably should accept that, but I'm just too competitive when it comes to my favorites.  That's a flaw of mine, and it always has been one.

then I think maybe you are better off watching singing shows of other countries that don’t have this pattern or have it to a way lesser extent…

also, I don’t know about you…but Chayce was very forgettable to me…but he was edited way more favourably…

Edited by kenboy123

3 minutes ago, CarmenSandiego said:

I want my favorites to do well too. The farther they make it the more performances of theirs I get to see and hopefully the exposure helps them later in their career. But what I care the most about is finding new people that I like and listening to the music they make before and after the show. I find that way more important than what place they finish on the show.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CarmenSandiego said:

I think that the proclamation that another country or country-adjacent white guy with a guitar was going to win just set me off, because I'm the type of person who goes for the girl singers.

What about Laine Hardy?  

1 hour ago, Gustavo527 said:

Like, which ones?

basically any other country…although Indian Idol and France Idol (recently) have also been “dominated” by men…all other countries don’t really have a significant advantage either way and have a mix of winners…of both men and women…I don’t watch the voice too much, any version, but I just skimming through the names of the people that won…it seems pretty balanced…there are countries where their singing shows are completely dominated by women…for example, Indonesia Idol hasn’t had male winner since 2010…although, this season their X factor season was pretty male dominated, but that’s definitely an anomaly over there…

i watched th videos and any number of them could win, i see a lot of potential winners both male and female, and colin is one of the top men in my opinion, as well as Marybeth is one of the threats for the females, she could. There is a lot of talent this season.

1 hour ago, kenboy123 said:

basically any other country…although Indian Idol and France Idol (recently) have also been “dominated” by men…all other countries don’t really have a significant advantage either way and have a mix of winners…of both men and women…I don’t watch the voice too much, any version, but I just skimming through the names of the people that won…it seems pretty balanced…there are countries where their singing shows are completely dominated by women…for example, Indonesia Idol hasn’t had male winner since 2010…although, this season their X factor season was pretty male dominated, but that’s definitely an anomaly over there…

As an Indonesian, you are right about the recent voting patterns on Indonesian Idol although in general, people over here are still fond of “guys with guitar”. After the show, more of the male non-winners tend to have sold out concerts (usually at larger venues too). Eg. Delon and Judika. The voters over here tend to be females - mostly teens/high schoolers and college aged viewers, though other types of voters can show up closer to the finale. 
When it comes to American Idol, David Cook, Archuleta, Adam Lambert, Kris Allen & Phillip Phillips’s music are still played on the radio and public places in Indonesia. 

Edited by jazzontherocks

18 minutes ago, mytake1 said:

The irony is that Alejandro, Willie Spence, Huntergirl would have been alternative winners. 

But they were never that popular here.  

That is true! It is usually the eventual 3rd placers who have the most support of the Final 3 (Madison VanDenburg, Grace Kinstler, Leah Marlene). 

Maybe Megan Danielle can get the votes of conservative bible thumpers…especially if she keeps singing Christian music…she might have to say she has conservative values and hates gay people and abortion…it will cause a lot of controversy, but will get her a lot of votes…

Of course I don’t know what her personal views on these issues are and in no way accusing her of hating gay people…just simply pointing out a way she could generate a base to win…

Edited by kenboy123
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, kenboy123 said:

Maybe Megan Danielle can get the votes of conservative bible thumpers…especially if she keeps singing Christian music…she might have to say she has conservative values and hates gay people and abortion…it will cause a lot of controversy, but will get her a lot of votes…

Of course I don’t know what her personal views on these issues are and in no way accusing her of hating gay people…just simply pointing out a way she could generate a base to win…

That sounds like terrible advice for so many reasons. :dead:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, kenboy123 said:

it could win her American Idol…but also be career ending if she actually wants a career in pop music after the show…

Great idea tank your career to try and win a show that is probably just going to vote for a guy anyways. I don't think you thought this one through. :dead:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, QueenKalie said:

Great idea tank your career to try and win a show that is probably just going to vote for a guy anyways. I don't think you thought this one through. :dead:

I never said it was a good idea…I was simply pointing out a way to win…wasn’t meant to be serious advice…

24 minutes ago, kenboy123 said:

she might have to say she has conservative values and hates gay people and abortion…it will cause a lot of controversy, but will get her a lot of votes…

What??? 💀 Idol would NEVER allow this 😭 Remember that it is a family show at the end of the day. 

In S17, Jeremiah's story was literally about leaving his Church because he felt isolated as a gay man and he made Top 6 💀 Leah made it to Top 3 last season as a queer woman AND after presenting herself in a very flamboyant manner all season long. 

The "Idol viewers hate everyone except straight white men!" belief is getting a little too exagerated methinks... Sure, there may be a bias to white men, but that doesn't mean there is a *hatred* for women or POC.

Edited by m1key

1 hour ago, m1key said:

That is true! It is usually the eventual 3rd placers who have the most support of the Final 3 (Madison VanDenburg, Grace Kinstler, Leah Marlene). 

People here didn't like Gabby Barrett.

My point was that with all the complaints about the same type of winner, I would not be surprised if there are people here who ended voting for Laine, Chayce, Noah. 

As an anti vote against Alejandro, Willie, Huntergirl - even they would have brought diversity.

Edited by mytake1