American Idol S20 Auditions 2 Discussion

istersay

1 minute ago, Bombshelicious said:

I havn't watched The voice recently but I think the show itself is more entertaining to watch. Unfortunately it's been the record company that drops the ball on their contestents once the show is over. I just wish Idol would change up their format, it starting to feel cheesey, or maybe it always was and Im just jaded now. lol idk Im still watching 🙂

Well yeah Republic sucks and has no interest in the contestants that's true. But the Voice doesn't do a great job marketing their contestants either. That is the one thing Idol does do a little bit better job of. But the Voice  show itself is way more entertaining.

• Like 2

So... I lied about watching the stream but I caught up on YouTube and this episode was pretty fantastic overall imo. Kenedi, Leah, and Lady K are all really good and Voice alums Allegra and Mike as well.

Aaron Westberry... seriously? They chose to preview that guy?

Here are my comments, as I watch the episodes:

1.  Betty Maxwell -- a former Miss America.  I used to watch the pageant.  Anyway, she's more than good enough to move on.

2.  Leah Marlene -- really excitable, but once she begins singing, she's both enjoyable and really good.

3.  Mike Parker -- better than Noah Thompson, that's for sure!  I hope that he gets far.

4.  Kelsie Dolin -- really sad backstory, but her voice is more than good enough to move on to Hollywood.

5.  Skylie Thompson -- charming, but I'm not sure she's good enough to get to Hollywood.  And it seems that the judges agree with me.

6.  Luke Taylor -- really low voice kind of grates on my nerves.  He's better with his second song, but I don't think that he'll lost long in Hollywood.

7.  Kenedi Anderson -- probably the best audition this round!  I can see why she got a Platinum ticket!  Wow!

8.  Kaitlyn Rose -- more energy than talent, I'm afraid.

9.  Kurtis -- not nearly good enough.  I probably could've done "I Feel It Good" better.

10.  Aaron Westberry -- more than good enough to get to Hollywood.

11.  Allegra Miles -- another favorite of mine.  I would have liked to hear a little bit more, however.

12.  Christian Guardino -- like Mike, he's better than Noah Thompson.

13.  Lady K. -- she's going to get the sympathy edit with her brother's suicide, and she's got a great voice too!

21 hours ago, Anybody354 said:

He was supposed to be on SNL but couldn’t because he broke COVID-19 protocol because he partied. That plus his incident of using a racial slur have prevented from getting as big as he could’ve gotten.

No it didn't. It might've actually helped. (gained him publicity)

"Dangerous: The Double Album" is still in Top 3 of the Billboard 200.

The album was released in January 2021. I may not like it either, but you can't deny he's huge.

Edited by FloorWax

53 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

The album was released in January 2021. I may not like it either, but you can't deny he's huge.

I can’t disagree. I guess I meant that he missed the opportunity to perform on SNL. Regardless though, he got big. A lot of people who attend my school like him and his music.

22 hours ago, Anybody354 said:

He was supposed to be on SNL but couldn’t because he broke COVID-19 protocol because he partied. That plus his incident of using a racial slur have prevented from getting as big as he could’ve gotten.

They gave him a make up date and even had him perform in a sketch making light of what happened:

https://youtu.be/40fjM6ux2Ko

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, FloorWax said:

it won the Academy of Country Music Album of the Year award last night.

It's popular but, controversy aside, to me not a good album overall, no matter how much recognition it gets. ACM has voted in a lot of mediocre albums over the years when there were stellar alternatives.

My Review Of Episode 2 Contestants

1. Betty Maxwell - I didn’t thinks she was going to sound so good considering she’s a a pageant queen. She hit some very nice notes and had power and control when she was singing. My critique of her is to not only sing songs by American Idol contestants. That way she can show that she is an original artist in her own right with her own sound and style. We are not trying to find the next American Idol wannabe. We want the next American Idol.
  2. Leah Marlene - She was really good. I liked her. Also, a really good songwriter. Reminds of Catie Turner, but a much calmer version of Catie Turner. I like Leah’s personality because she is funny without overdoing it. She doesn’t rely on being funny in order to be a good singer. I can see her going far in the competition.
  3. Mike Parker - I liked him too. I really liked how he made a country song more of an R&B song and still sounded good when doing so. That is what originality is all about. I also see him going far in the competition too.
  4. Kelsie Dion - Her tone is interesting, but she needs more experience. I liked her second audition song better even though Katy Perry coached her how to sing almost each note of the song. I mean it helped showcase her voice more, but Kelsie won’t be able to have the judges coach her during Hollywood Week because it’s not The Voice. My one critique of her is she needs to show that she has power in her voice and can hit pretty notes without Luke, Lionel, or Katy forcing it out of her. The judges should have told her to wait another year. I don’t see her making the semi finals.
  5. Skylie Thompson - She had a pretty tone, but some of the notes were a little flat. I understood why the judges thought she wasn’t ready for Hollywood Week. She’s also a great songwriter though.
  6. Luke Taylor - Definitely a joke contestant and his audition is the worst one in this episode out of all the contestants that got the golden or platinum ticket to Hollywood Week in this episode. For starters, he sang in a low monotone voice and had no vibrato or range. Luke Bryan only said yes to him because he sounds country and Scotty McCreery vibes. I couldn’t even begin to guess why Lionel Richie would say yes. I’m with Katy Perry on this one. He shouldn’t be going to Hollywood and Luke and Lionel were extremely easy on him. If it was Simon Cowell, Katy Perry, and either Luke or Lionel as judges, they would have 2 nos instead of 1 no because Simon would have immediately said no to Luke Taylor. Thus, he wouldn’t have gotten a golden ticket to Hollywood Week. He will be someone that really struggles during Hollywood Week and won’t make it far. I say he gets cut during Hollywood Week Round 1.
  7. Kenedi Anderson - The best audition of the episode and someone that should have a recording contract right now and doesn’t even need American Idol. Every note she sang was perfect and her singing voice was beautiful and she showed us different sides of her singing voice and she also played piano. I’m glad she got the platinum ticket because she deserved it. She will definitely go far in the competition. I’m thinking to Top 10 and maybe even further.
  8. Isaiah Jaya - The guy couldn’t sing in tune. Joke contestant.
  9. Kaitlyn Rose - Great at choreography, but not a good singer at all and that wasn’t the right song for her.
  10. Kurtis Bell - His rendition of that song is an insult to The Godfather Of Soul. His piano playing skills were great though.
  11. Aaron Westberry - He was way too calm and serious. There is somewhat of a good tone in his singing, but it lacks variation. He’s a limited singer who lacks passion. He reminds me of Benson Boone and Nick Merico both former contestants who thought they were too good for American Idol. Aaron Westberry was kind of giving that attitude to the judges in his body language and calm demeanor. I don’t see him making the semi finals. My one critique is to work on his range and show passion and excitement for singing and act like he wants to have this opportunity to compete on American Idol.
  12. Allegra Miles - I liked her original song and the tone in her singing voice. I wished they showed more of her audition.
  13. Christian Guardino - He’s got soul you can’t deny that, but he’s too loud. His phrasing lacks finesse, character, and subtlety. I still think he was good enough to be sent to Hollywood week though.
  14. Lady K - Her rendition and cover of the Katy Perry song is even better than the original. She had a great delivery with an R&B flair. It was a very moving performance. I see her going far in the competition.
Edited by mrsvaledictorian2017

1 hour ago, Bk1234 said:

I think some of you guys are bashing Aaron way too much for his personality. 

It’s because American Idol contestants have to have the whole package. Aaron may have the voice, but doesn’t have the personality that’s representative of a well respected American idol contestant or someone that wants to go far and win.

Edited by mrsvaledictorian2017

25 minutes ago, mrsvaledictorian2017 said:

It’s because American Idol contestants have to have the whole package. Aaron may have the voice, but doesn’t have the personality that’s representative of a well respected American idol contestant or someone that wants to go far and win.

He doesn't really have the voice either. He just has looks. 

1 hour ago, mrsvaledictorian2017 said:

I still don’t see what’s wrong with simply being laidback. Yeah, his facial expressions and movements weren’t as enthusiastic as some of the other contestants, but that doesn’t mean his personality won’t allow him to go far. I thought his personality seemed more real and earnest compared to a good amount of contestants that have auditioned for this. Also, how does what they showed on an edited TV segment indicate his desire to go far on this show…? 🤔 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

I still don’t see what’s wrong with simply being laidback. Yeah, his facial expressions and movements weren’t as enthusiastic as some of the other contestants, but that doesn’t mean his personality won’t allow him to go far. I thought his personality seemed more real and earnest compared to a good amount of contestants that have auditioned for this. Also, how does what they showed on an edited TV segment indicate his desire to go far on this show…? 🤔 

Nothing, but when you are on a singing show like American Idol and are trying to stand out, it is very hard to do that if you are too laidback. American Idol loves people who have personality and passion. Always have and always will.

4 minutes ago, mrsvaledictorian2017 said:

Nothing, but when you are on a singing show like American Idol and are trying to stand out, it is very hard to do that if you are too laidback. American Idol loves people who have personality and passion. Always have and always will.

I mean, they gave him one of the best edits of the episode… 😅