Contestants that suffered/benefited the most from song choices throughout their run.

Hsamid

To expand, I'm not only talking about inherently bad song choices for a singing competition, but also song choices that didn't suit a contestant at all, and vice versa.

Are there any contestants that constantly picked or were given bad/good song choices? And try to pick one contestant you think suffered or benefited from song choices throughout their run more than anyone else.

Edited by Hsamid

• Hsamid changed the title to Contestants that suffered/benefited the most from song choices throughout their run.

Pete Mroz. Before You Go, We Belong and Speechless weren’t good fits for him. At least he did well with the first one. The middle one sticks out because of how everyone else on his team got better picks. With the last one, it also seemed like he had given up. His audition and battle were much better song choices for him to showcase what he is like as an artist.

Davon Fleming (in Lives) is another example. He had three great solo performances in prelives, and was one of the best of the round each time. In Lives, he gets Love on Top and I Have Nothing, which are notoriously difficult songs, and Hurt, which he also struggled with. These all seemed to be too big for him, I don’t like how he got taken out of the gospel route and put into the diva route. At least he didn’t get another diva song in semis.

From this season, I’d say Holly Forbes. She had a ton of potential to make finale on the season, but she kept getting the wrong songs in Lives. She went from country to rock to disco, and the last one did not work for her vocally. If she sang Adele and Billy Joel in the Lives, that would have gone much better.

A contestant who got good song choices is Joshua Vacanti. He wasn’t pushed in the prelives and was a big underdog, but he got a lot of songs that really fit him as a performer. You Will Be Found really suited his Broadway style, The Show Must Go On showed him as a performer, and is a very theatrical song. His challenge song also worked and he was one of the few contestants that made the song fit his style. Ashes was another big theatrical ballad as well. As for the save song, it wasn’t a bad pick, but the problem with his save song was that he had already sang Celine that week, but the producers probably didn’t think he would last as long without needing the save. He’s definitely a contestant that thrived more in the Lives.

I don’t want to count winners for good song choices because it’s too easy.

2 hours ago, Daillon said:

I still remember Kat Perkins, a rocker, getting Get Lucky, Let It Go and Chandelier in a span of two weeks :haha:

Chris Jamison also had some terrible song choices (Uptown Funk, Sugar, Sexual Healing…) 

Chris’ songs were wrong for him because he wouldn’t have ever chosen them, but he had no trouble handling them vocally. They weren’t objectively terrible, just not his thing.

1 hour ago, AngelaKD said:

Chris’ songs were wrong for him because he wouldn’t have ever chosen them, but he had no trouble handling them vocally. They weren’t objectively terrible, just not his thing.

Yeah I never said he struggled with them (he put them all to rest in fact). But for someone who was supposed to be a R&B singer, those song choices are highly questionable (I know the show turned him into a pop singer, but still...)

Sexual Healing and Velvet were also bad choices, but for other reasons.

Edited by Daillon

15 minutes ago, Daillon said:

Yeah I never said he struggled with them (he put them all to rest in fact). But for someone who was supposed to be a R&B singer, those song choices are highly questionable (I know the show turned him into a pop singer, but still...)

Sexual Healing and Velvet were also bad choices, but for other reasons.

My understanding of Chris’ dislike of the songs chosen for him was not focused on Pop vs R&B. It was that he was extremely uncomfortable with the “heartthrob” label  and the sexual nature of the songs. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AngelaKD said:

My understanding of Chris’ dislike of the songs chosen for him was not focused on Pop vs R&B. It was that he was extremely uncomfortable with the “heartthrob” label  and the sexual nature of the songs. 

Yeah, they handed that heartthrob role to him that season. Some people might like it, others may not. He didn´t.

As for the genre aspect of it all, he has the ability for R&B, but his voice is made for pop in my opinion. It has that type of element that I picture hearing on that type of record rather than a more laidback R&B one. It might be just me though.

And I say this as a compliment, because I liked him on his season, and normally I´m pretty meh on straight up male pop singers on the show.

Edited by Misirlou

1 hour ago, Misirlou said:

Yeah, they handed that heartthrob role to him that season. Some people might like it, others may not. He didn´t.

As for the genre aspect of it all, he has the ability for R&B, but his voice is made for pop in my opinion. It has that type of element that I picture hearing on that type of record rather than a more laidback R&B one. It might be just me though.

And I say this as a compliment, because I liked him on his season, and normally I´m pretty meh on straight up male pop singers on the show.

Yeah, I don’t typically like straight up male pop singers on the show either, but he is one of the ones I actually liked.

7 hours ago, Daillon said:

I still remember Kat Perkins, a rocker, getting Get Lucky, Let It Go and Chandelier in a span of two weeks :haha:

Yes, but she did FANTASTIC with Get Lucky. One of the best flips this show has seen.

Holly Forbes definitely fits here with bad choices.

I'll say that with the exception of Ain't It Fun (which is understandable due to the theme of the week, Jershika benefited greatly from her song choices.

Based on who everyone has mentioned so far, seems like Kat Perkins has the worst song choices for her voice/style atm. I didn't watch her season, but a rocker with those type of songs? Yikes.

Also, how about Hailey Mia for benefitting from song choices? I feel like all her songs suited her style and voice very well, and she never really left the pop lane even in genre switch week. Which seems to be her main genre as a vocalist.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

Who benefitted the most from song choices?

You can say this about a lot of the country guys. Many dont tend to leave their lane throughout the show and it works out for them.

Maybe the best run of songs for any individual contestant (in years I've seen) was Danielle's - all pretty much in her lane and well-known country divas/songs (except Put Your Records On in her battle and her duet with Amber on the Bangles' Eternal Flame - which was gorgeous btw.)

Edited by WastedinMemphis

28 minutes ago, WastedinMemphis said:

Maybe the best run of songs for any individual contestant (in years I've seen) was Danielle's - all pretty much in her lane and well-known country divas/songs (except Put Your Records On in her battle and her duet with Amber on the Bangles' Eternal Flame - which was gorgeous btw.)

That´s true. Blake really took care of her there.

1 hour ago, Hsamid said:

Also, how about Hailey Mia for benefitting from song choices? I feel like all her songs suited her style and voice very well, and she never really left the pop lane even in genre switch week. Which seems to be her main genre as a vocalist

Agreed, the song choices really worked perfectly for her until the semifinal. But after that, she went full Teen Pop in the finale and Minivan unfortunately didn't take it that well

From this season

un benefited

Holly- besides her top 11 all live song choices were underwhelming and didn’t go anywhere 

Bella- She was predicted to make the semi finals and even the finals but since her knockout she had horrible song choices and she didn’t even make top 13

Benefited  

Joshua- was originally predicted to be eliminated in the playoffs but chose songs that showcased his amazing range and vocals outperforming a lot of the front runners.

Paris- idk what to say but he just got a really good set of songs 

Hailey- She wasn’t consistent with the song choices but got Traitor which gave her a-lot of momentum and when it started to where off she got a really good song for top 11 kicking her to the semis with no problems

I’m doing Season 17

Good

Rose Short- A lot of versatility but she knocked everything out of the park. When she took a risk it would pay off. On paper, some of these songs don’t seem to work but she made them fit her style. 

Ricky Duran- The rock lane benefit Ricky, and he fit into the role very well. Even the uptempo songs were good fits for him, and were able to show off his charisma, stage presence and instrumental skills rather than just his vocals

Bad

Katie Kadan (T10-Finale)- Katie did really well in the early rounds of the competition so I’d say that T10 was when her song choices got worse. Lady Marmalade didn’t work well in the Semis, and her finale set wasn’t that good

Joana Martinez (T12 and T11)- Joana seemed like she had potential for Semis, but the Latin song choices in early rounds killed her, and her voice fit pop songs better. These may have played a role in her T10 elimination.

Shane Q- Caribbean Queen is enough to justify his placement on the list. But yeah, I didn’t get a sense of his artistry and he seemed disconnected a lot

23 minutes ago, Cookie73 said:

Shane Q- Caribbean Queen is enough to justify his placement on the list. But yeah, I didn’t get a sense of his artistry and he seemed disconnected a lot

Shane's run in the lives was a lot like Holly's. He sang a different genre every week, and it was just baffling.

2 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

Shane's run in the lives was a lot like Holly's. He sang a different genre every week, and it was just baffling.

Yes. And both flopped hard during Top 10 week with a fun performance and got eliminated, though Shane’s elimination was more foreseeable. I think both also wore similar hats during that performance as well.