Films of the 2000s Rankdown

Alex95

the-rookie-54ce9f420b7f6.png 

wsxll-ubglv0ga7wom4tppplcbi.gif

Oh look, it's just another sport drama that is produced by Walt Disney Studio! This movie features Dennis Quaid in the lead role - for some reason, I feel that he is a regular when it comes to this type of movie - as well as Rachel Griffiths, Jay Hernandez, and Brian Cox.  It is inspired by the real life of Jim Morris, who is apparently a professional baseball player - what makes him so special to have a movie dedicated to his life ? He started in the MLB at the age of 35. The moral of the story is that its never too late to realize or achieve your dreams.  Unfortunately for all of us, I cannot say if this movie is good or not as I am clearly not its target audience - you will not catch me watching a sport drama movie unless it's about figure skating, and it doesn't matter if the movie is good or bad.  

SAVING : DE-LOVELY

• Like 1

INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL (2008)

MV5BZDIzNzM5MDUtZmI5MC00NGQ5LWFlNzEtYzE3ODIxNDI3ZmNhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjQ4ODE4MzQ@._V1_.jpg

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was released in 2008, 19 years after the previous Indiana Jones movie. This installment is set during the Cold War. Shia LaBeouf's character requests Indiana Jones's help to locate the legendary artifact called the Crystal Skull of Akator. They set out for Peru to find it, but they are thwarted by the Soviets who want the artifact too and believe it can help them take over the world. I remember seeing this film in theaters when it came out, but it didn't really leave an impression on me. I wasn't too familiar with the Indiana Jones franchise at the time either, but I thought the plot twist being about aliens was too silly.

2xpm.gif

I do remember how "nuking the fridge" became a term similar to "jumping the shark." After Indiana Jones survived a nuclear blast from hiding in a refrigerator, fans came up with the term to describe when a film franchise has crossed the line into plain nonsense and is no longer as good as it once was before. As for the reception on this film, it is very mixed. The Rotten Tomatoes score is 78%. The site adds, "Though the plot elements are certainly familiar, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull still delivers the thrills and Harrison Ford's return in the title role is more than welcome." Lots of Indiana Jones fans hate the film though. This isn't a film I would ever care to watch again, so out it goes from the rankdown.

Saving Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer.

silver-surfer-shield.gif

kangaroo-jack-52911ad483ea9.png

kangaroo-jack-nice.gif

After nominating this movie, last round, I get the pleasure to cut it from the rankdown !  It is known as a crime comedy movie, and it was released in 2003 - I remember seeing it back then, and it was the only time that I've seen it.  The movie stars Jerry O'Connell, Anthony Anderson, Estella Warren, Michael Shannon, Christopher Walken and Adam Garcia. Upon its release, the movie was a success at the box office but was met with criticism mainly due to false advertisement as a kids movie, language and violence to name a few of the reasons why it receives criticism.  That being said, there is one funny scene in the movie that I remember & that's about it.  

SAVING : THE HOT CHICK

ICE AGE: DAWN OF THE DINOSAURS (2009)

cXOLaxcNjNAYmEx1trZxOTKhK3Q.jpg

Released in 2009, Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs is the third installment of the franchise. In this film, Sid the Sloth steals some dinosaur eggs. A Tyrannosaurus takes Sid for stealing her eggs, and it's up to Sid's friends to rescue him. They find themselves in a tropical lost world beneath the ice where they encounter many prehistoric creatures. Even as a little kid, the Ice Age movies never appealed to me. I watched the first film, but I didn't care to watch the rest. The film wasn't funny to me and the characters weren't really likable either. But there must be lots of fans as the franchise seems to have been pretty successful. This film didn't do well with the critics though. The Rotten Tomatoes score is 46% percent. The site states, "Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs boasts some excellent animation -- in particular, the dinosaurs are wonderfully realized -- but its story is tired and monotonous." But as long as Fox (and now Disney who bought the rights) think they can make money out of the Ice Age films, they will keep making them. The sixth film in the franchise was just released last month on Disney+, a spin-off called The Ice Age Adventures of Buck Wild. There's a planned seventh film too. I have no plans to watch any of these extra Ice Age films, but there seems to be plenty of content to keep Ice Age fans entertained. Anyway, out goes this Ice Age film from the rankdown.

Saving 102 Dalmatians

giphy.gif

Duplicity

AcclaimedDizzyIzuthrush-size_restricted.

Duplicity is a 2009 American romantic crime comedy film written and directed by Tony Gilroy, and starring Julia Roberts and Clive Owen. The plot follows two corporate spies with a romantic history who collaborate to carry out a complicated con.[2] The film was released on March 20, 2009. So this is basically like the movie with Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt? Mr. and Mrs. Smith, I think it was called. :haha: I guess in this movie they aren't married so that is a difference. I love Julia Roberts so maybe I will check this movie out as I've never seen it before. I've heard of it, but just have never seen it. The film received mixed to positive reviews from film critics. As of October 2021, the film holds a 65% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Julia Roberts was nominated for a Golden Globe Award for Best Actress in a Musical/Comedy so that's a plus for this movie. Unfortunately for her, I love Freddy (and Jason) more.

Save: Freddy vs. Jason

Hamlet 2

RecklessWiltedBass-size_restricted.gif

I'm not even sure this gif is from the right movie because I never even knew there was a first Hamlet movie. :dead: Hamlet 2 is a 2008 American comedy film directed by Andrew Fleming, written by Fleming and Pam Brady and starring Steve Coogan, Catherine Keener, Amy Poehler, and David Arquette. It was produced by Eric Eisner, Leonid Rozhetskin, and Aaron Ryder. The movie has to names I recognize in Amy Poehler and David Arquette who is oddly in my signature right now from SCREAM (2022). :giggle:The movie is about a man named Dana Marschz is a recovering alcoholic and failed actor who has become a high school drama teacher in Tucson, Arizona. On Rotten Tomatoes the film has an approval rating of 62% so the movie isn't horrible as I expected it to be. There is also no first Hamlet movie, bummer.

Save: Herbie: Fully Loaded

3 hours ago, Alex95 said:

There's no Hamlet 1 because that's already been made! He was making Hamlet 2! And Elizabeth Shue is randomly there as herself and Skylar Astin is Very Gay and I'm reposting one of the best original songs in movie history!

That's enough to get me to watch the movie !

U-571

220px-U-571_movie.jpg

U-571 is a 2000 film about a submarine during World War II. How riveting. In all seriousness, the plot of U-571 is largely centred around a World War II German submarine that is boarded by American submariners to capture the Enigma cipher machine. The film, naturally, portrays the American military as heroes; despite receiving praise of its direction, acting and sound design, it garnered criticism for its historical inaccuracies. It even drew the ire of British prime minister Tony Blair. The film stars Matthew McConaughey, Bill Paxton, Harvey Keitel, Jon Bon Jovi (yes, that Bon Jovi), Jake Weber, Erik Palladino, Matthew Settle, David Keith and Thomas Kretschmann.

NO MAN'S LAND

No_Man's_Land_movie.jpg

Alright so there are a few films with this title, so I'm gonna assume this is the correct one. No Man's Land is a 2001 Bosnian war film, and it takes place during the midst of the Bosnian war. I didn't intend to cut two war films but look at me. :wub: The film was written and directed by Danis Tanović, and serves as a co-production between production companies in Bosnia, Herzegovina, Slovenia, Italy, France, Belgium and the UK - or the line-up for the next edition of "Drag Race vs the World." Wikipedia also tells me the film won the Oscar for Best Foreign FIlm in 2002, so there's that. Anyway, the film stars Branko Đurić, Rene Bitorajac and Filip Šovagović.

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Steven's Noms Next)

NOMINATIONS

The Legend of Bagger Vance (2000)

Pay It Forward (2000)

Saving Silverman (2001)

Two Can Play That Game (2001)

Ali G Indahouse (2002)

The Banger Sisters (2002)

In the Cut (2003)

Veronica Guerin (2003)

Alexander (2004)

Birth (2004)

The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl (2005)

Are We There Yet? (2005)

Borat (2006)

The Da Vinci Code (2006)

The Brave One (2007)

The Golden Compass (2007)

My Best Friend's Girl (2008)

Swing Vote (2008)

2012 (2009)

Antichrist (2009)

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Steven's Noms Posted)

Borat

i6IcxKg.jpg

Look, I think ALL of us rankers have movies we dislike on a irrational level and for me it's Borat. Had I noticed it my nominations, it would of been nominated by me but Steven to the rescue! I hate this movie. I am sorry, I just don't understand the hype and the fact it's so popular is beyond me.  Maybe's it's Sacha Baron Cohen? Idk something about that man just rubs me the wrong way. I can't think of a movie he has done that I liked. Anyway, this may be a controversial cut as Borat has received widespread critical acclaim by viewers but I have never liked it so I think I will cut it. Sorry to any fans.

Saving: 2012 (I guess, I didn't want to save any of them lol)

Edited by *Diana