Songs of the 2000s Mini Rankdowns (2023 Round)

Steven_

7 hours ago, *Lily said:

Not the first time Formation would get robbed from a top 20 spot @1234567890 :kissbye:

:giggle:

True. 😢 

Although the Beyonce round was much harder and more stacked competition, so more songs got robbed there. 😢  :haha: 

5 hours ago, Alex95 said:

I certainly do count 20 songs that charted in 2016 on the list so.......congratulations to them on that?

:lmao: 

3 hours ago, rdhaley96 said:

Why are we acting like this year is somehow worse than last? :haha:

Compared to last year, this year is heaven on earth, lol.

I differ here as I definitely loved and preferred last year's Top 20.  :ph34rwave::lmao: I really loved 15 songs and really liked 4 others there. :haha: I still like this year's list but most of my biggest favorites didn't make it through this time.

But yeah we're all always gonna have different Top 20s we prefer which is the fun with this game. :haha: 

1 hour ago, Steven_ said:

I just finished listening to all these songs again, and...yikes. I think this is our worst Top 20 yet. 🙈

I'm afraid you're mistaken. I just looked at the lists back to 2011, and last year was by far the worst. This year is officially the best.

Edited by Qorey

20. I TOOK A PILL IN IBIZA – MIKE POSNER

92e114a9482dd822bab3f3e47d0c8872.500x500x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

STEVEN: 4

COREY: 5

ANDY: 7

NICO: 8

ALEX: 12

DEREK: 13

RICHARD: 13

AKSHAR: 18

CHRIS: 18

VICTORIA: 18

WALLACE: 18

DIANA: 19

GIGI: 19

LILY: 20

STEVEN

I think this is one of the catchier songs in this Top 20, so it's too bad this ended up ranking last. I also didn't realize there might've been confusion between which version of "I Took A Pill In Ibiza" is here, but it's the remix since that's what did best on the charts. The melancholy lyrics with the upbeat production somehow work well together here, and I like Miss Posner's delivery too.  

COREY

After "Cooler Than Me," I never thought Mike Posner could come up with such a winner. There's a lot of intricacy throughout, and the tempo is very satisfying.

ANDY

A really great song actually, Mike Posner has such a smooth voice. Great production on this one too.

ALEX

I’m assuming this is for the original cause Lord knows we have enough club songs in this top 20.

RICHARD

I appreciate the heavier subject matter here. The overall composition of this track sounds like pretty much anything else released in the mid 2010s, but it’s still a listen that I more or less enjoy.

WALLACE

d5bcfa02-f5b9-4c96-acdf-7748b795ea92_tex

There are two versions of "I Took a Pill in Ibiza" by Mike Posner so I wonder which one will we all be ranking or which one people choose to rank, discuss or voted on and all of that. :haha: I am more familiar with the "I Took a Pill in Ibiza (SeeB Remix)" as that was the version I always heard being played on the radio so I'll mostly comment on that one. I do like/really like this song but it was never a song that I really loved despite how big it got. I do like how the original version gives a more acoustic emotional feel to the song. Then the remix has more of an upbeat fun feel to it. It makes for such a different experience when listening to the song. Mike does sound cool on the song and sings such an emotional story with the song. 

I do really like the pre-chorus and chorus where he sings:

But you don't wanna be high like me
Never really knowing why like me
You don't ever wanna step off that roller coaster and be
All alone
You don't wanna ride the bus like this
Never knowing who to trust like this
You don't wanna be stuck up on that stage singing
Stuck up on that stage singing 

All I know
Are sad songs, sad songs
Darling, all I know
Are sad songs, sad songs 

I know, are sad songs
I know, are sad songs
I know, are sad songs
I know, are sad songs

I do like the second verse more than the first part and especially the part where Mike sings: 

I'm just a singer
Who already blew his shot
I get along with old timers cause my name's a reminder
Of a pop song people forgot

That part always stuck out to me and made me feel bad for Mike there. :broken:

"I Took A Pill In Ibiza" is an all around enjoyable song. I wasn't really sure if I saw this making it to the finals and I have no idea how it will rank, but I am curious to see how it does.

19. LET ME LOVE YOU – DJ SNAKE FEAT. JUSTIN BIEBER

073cd0dbdf330c416680c3705d09270a.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

COREY: 3

VICTORIA: 6

DEREK: 7

RICHARD: 9

NICO: 11

WALLACE: 12

ALEX: 14

ANDY: 16

GIGI: 16

AKSHAR: 17

LILY: 17

DIANA: 18

STEVEN: 19

CHRIS: 20

COREY

A great dance song with strength in the vocals, but not as much in the melody department.

RICHARD

I genuinely forgot this song existed, lol. When I saw the song title, I first thought of Ne-Yo’s song, then Mario’s, but this one didn’t come to mind. Having said that, it did come back to me on the relisten, and I actually enjoyed it! Good production, and Justin’s voice powers through nicely. Loses some points for sounding basically identical to “Sorry.” We definitely didn’t need both of them here.

WALLACE

8n-WIS.gif

LOL I never imagined that Justin Bieber would have had one, let alone two songs, make it through to the Top 20 at all here. But "Let Me Love You" is one of those songs that I do love but wasn't really pushing for and could have been fine with it not making it here. But it was one of my favorites in the voting round, so I'm happy to give it some support to make it here. Justin had a pretty huge 2016 with many hit songs and DJ Snake had quite a big year with many hits he produced in 2016 too. This was one of my favorite releases from Justin in 2016, in fact, it was probably my 2nd favorite? 😮 I do love the music production here and really enjoy how Justin sings on this song. I like how Justin sings the opening of the song, with the parts that goes:

We were burnin' on the edge of somethin' beautiful
Somethin' beautiful 

Smoke and mirrors keep us waiting on a miracle
On a miracle

I do really love how Justin builds up the song on the pre-chorus of the song that goes: 

Say, go through the darkest of days
Heaven is a heartbreak away
Never let you go, never let me down
Oh, it's been a hell of a ride
Driving the edge of a knife
Never let you go, never let me down

:bobo:

However, I do love and am here for the fun and catchy chorus that goes:

Don't you give up, nah-nah-nah
I won't give up, nah-nah-nah
Let me love you
Let me love you
Don't you give up, nah-nah-nah
I won't give up, nah-nah-nah
Let me love you
Let me love you
Oh, baby, baby

:bobo:

And the EDM beats that comes in after the chorus is also really fun too! :bobo: I like the second verse but not as much as the first verse or the chorus/pre-chorus of the song. I know how the song can get a bit repetitive towards the end but it's all really fun and so jammy to me. :bobo: I don't expect this song to rank well as Justin Bieber is quite polarizing, but we'll seeee I guess.

ANDY

Forgettable

STEVEN

I can't believe you guys allowed two Justin Bieber songs in our Top 20.

18. HEATHENS – TWENTY ONE PILOTS

985db59572de79931cfcb00a4379ac0e.1000x1000x1.png

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

ALEX: 3

NICO: 3

DEREK: 9

RICHARD: 10

CHRIS: 11

COREY: 11

AKSHAR: 13

LILY: 15

DIANA: 16

STEVEN: 16

VICTORIA: 16

WALLACE: 17

ANDY: 18

GIGI: 20

ALEX

Sucker For Pain is the superior Suicide Squad song and Ride is the superior twenty one pilots song but we still move.

RICHARD

I definitely would have preferred to see “Stressed Out” here over this if I had to choose one of the two, but overall, it’s still a cool song. I like how the vibe here is mellow but a little dark.

COREY

This is my least favorite of the three main songs of this album. I'm not sure why everyone cut the others while leaving this one. I still like this song quite well though. It has the classic weirdness that the band is known for, and has the energy that is lacking in all the songs lower on my list.

STEVEN

The song has an intriguing vibe to it and it's fitting for the film's soundtrack, but it's not a song I ever seek out to listen to.

WALLACE

tumblr_o959b6t6LE1vvrrmfo1_500.gif

Of the three big hits from twenty one pilots, I was disappointed to see "Heathens" be the one to make it through to the Final 20. I do like this song but I really loved both "Stressed Out" and "Ride" more (and I would have ranked those songs much higher than this) so I was hoping for one of those to make it through instead but oh well. But 2016 was really twenty one pilots big breakout year in the mainstream music scene so it's nice they have a song on here. I do like the dark, haunting and mysterious vibe that this song has. It really sets that off well through its chorus.

All my friends are heathens, take it slow
Wait for them to ask you who you know
Please don't make any sudden moves
You don't know the half of the abuse

It has such a dark but interesting sound to it. I do like the rapping verses, but of the first verse, I especially like the latter half of it that goes:

You'll never know the psychopath sitting next to you
You'll never know the murderer sitting next to you
You'll think, "How'd I get here, sitting next to you?"
But after all, I've said, please don't forget

Then from the second verse, I like the part that goes:

They say they can smell your intentions
You'll never know the freakshow sitting next to you
You'll have some weird people sitting next to you
You'll think "How did I get here, sitting next to you?"
But after all I've said, please don't forget

"Heathens" is a very intriguing and interesting song. This is another song that I feel is difficult to predict how it will rank but I'm curious to see how this will rank.

ANDY

I don't like twenty one pilots.

17. STARVING – HAILEE STEINFELD & GREY FEAT. ZEDD

82735062f53414335d99078be4dc0631.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

ANDY: 4

DEREK: 5

STEVEN: 8

COREY: 9

AKSHAR: 10

DIANA: 12

LILY: 12

GIGI: 13

VICTORIA: 14

WALLACE: 15

CHRIS: 16

ALEX: 18

NICO: 19

RICHARD: 19

ANDY

J'adore. Such a cute song. I really like Hailee Steinfeld.

STEVEN

I like this song. It's kind of cute, and Hailee's sweet delivery sells the song well. I do like the verses better than the chorus. The EDM beats here aren't my favorite, but it doesn't ruin my enjoyment of the song either.

COREY

What an unusual theme for a song, but it works great. I can't get the hook out of my head, and that's a good thing.

WALLACE

Bg9G6x.gif

I have always really enjoyed "Starving" and think it's both such a fun and pretty song. Although the artist description or how it's listed annoys me. WHO IS GREY and why do they get a co-lead title with Hailee rather than a featured title with Zedd? :dead: Anywho, "Starving" is also easily my favorite song of Hailee's. I haven't really gotten into most of her other songs but I've always really enjoyed this one. She sounds so pretty on the softer opening verse of the song. I don't have a particular favorite part there but I like how she sings that whole part.

However I do really love the pre-chorus or the chorus part of the song where she sings:

I didn't know that I was starving 'til I tasted you
Don't need no butterflies when you give me the whole damn zoo
By the way, right away you do things to my body

I didn't know that I... I didn't know that I... 'til I tasted you
I didn't know that I... I didn't know that I... 'til I tasted you 

By the way, right away you do things to my body

This is all so fun from Hailee! :bobo: I love how Hailee sings the chorus and then the EDM beats (which I assume are from Zedd) come in here. From the second verse, I love the part where she sings:

Emotional earthquake
Bring on disaster
You hit me head on, got me weak in my knees

I enjoy the rest of the song with how fun and dancey it is. :bobo:  But then I like the song slows down with Hailee doing those  oh oh oh oh oh oh, na na na na na na ad-libs. 

Then I also love the way she closes this song with how she sings: 

The more that I know you, the more I want to
Something inside me's changed
I was so much younger yesterday

It's so pretty. ❤️ I also kinda realize that "Starving" is one of those songs I like more than I realize. I always know I really like it but I guess I don't realize how much - though I also wouldn't consider it a major favorite of mine either.

ALEX

Holy shit so much of this top 20 is just noise.

RICHARD

I remember not really being a fan of this song, but I was pleasantly surprised when I relistened to the first verse… until the chorus kicked in. Just overall a pretty generic song that I think could have been a lot better than it actually is. 

20. Ah I didn't expect "I Took A Pill In Ibiza" to rank last but I'm actually okay with that. And ahh ok, like Steven thought, I thought it was the remix that was taken into consideration as that was the one I most remembered/considered in ranking/commenting though I listened and commented on both. :haha: Oh wow I noticed a lot of #18s for this. :haha:

19. Ooh I expected "Let Me Love You" to come in last so I'm fine with this doing one spot better than I expected. :haha: Although Rei could have helped it out if he sent in his ranking. Lol Richard mentioning the superior "Let Me Love You" songs in this write-up. I do really like this but love the Ne-Yo and Mario songs more, specifically the Mario one. LMAO Steven's shady comment. :dead: I knew he would. :haha: 

18. Not too surprised with "Heathens" ranking. Oooh I agree with Alex's comment... and also Richard on the songs they prefer over this one. And wow okay so many people commenting on preferring "Stressed Out" and "Ride," which makes me ughh that those songs missed out and this made it through. :dead:

17. Oooh I expected "Starving" to do a little better than this but overall, I'm okay with it coming in at this spot. Cute and fun song from Hailee and company. LMAO dying at Alex's comment though I do like this song. :dead:

Actually no #1s and just a few #20s revealed. Lmao those #20s are probably coming in the next few sets. :giggle:

#1s revealed (0): 
#1s remaining (14): Akshar, Alex, Andy, Chris, Corey, Derek, Diana, Gigi, Lily, Nico, Richard, Steven, Victoria, Wallace

#20s revealed (3): Lily, Chris, Gigi
#20s remaining (11): Akshar, Alex, Andy, Corey, Derek, Diana, Nico, Richard, Steven, Victoria, Wallace

15 minutes ago, Qorey said:

I never would've guessed that "I Took A Pill In Ibiza" was so hated. I would've predicted one of the Justin Bieber songs for #20. Way to sneak that second Bieber song in under the guise of a feature! 🤭

Hmm I wouldn't say it was hated.... the 13.71 is pretty good for a last place song. One of the better scores for a last place song. But lol yeah I was also expecting Bieber to have a song in last place too but I'm glad that wasn't the case, lol. 🙈

1 minute ago, Steven_ said:

Since this is Thanksgiving week, would you all prefer to start the 2017 round on Monday? Or should we just continue as normal?

I'm fine with whatever the majority of people want to do here. 

I'm fine with continuing on as normal but maybe a little more time for deadline restrictions for the holiday week (for those that might not be as active)? But if people would rather wait until next week, that's fine with me. :haha: