🌻 Girl Named Tom Fan Thread 🌻

Bk1234

47 minutes ago, Cookie73 said:

I’m really hoping they go for well known classics in the finale because that would help get them the win. Those types of songs are also what drew me into them and have been their best performances on the show. If they were to do one more modern song, I’m hoping they would pick something that fits them well and the audience will recognize, such as Burning House.

I have been PRAYING for this song to be sung again on the Voice. 🤍

• Like 1

So glad they are through to the finale!😀  Only one more set of songs to go 😢  There are a lot of good song suggestions in this tread!

My pick for the ballad would be Evergreen by Yebba.  Though not as familiar as other songs, it's the song that they originally sent in to The Voice as their internet audition and also the song that really caught my attention when I was listening to their songs before the shows started.  Bekah sounds so good on it and they would be very comfortable singing it.

As for the up-tempo song, if they can sing their own song, Back-up Plan would be great!  I also would like Ventura Highway by America.  They have covered America before on their GNT Live shows, the song has great harmonies, and fit's their 60's / 70's folk vibe.

Whatever they sing, I am sure they will kill it.   Girl Named Tom - For The Win!!!

• Like 2

I just came across this interview. It’s pretty interesting, especially toward the end when they talk about their harmonies. It’s pretty sweet, but it really shows that these guys have a pretty clear understanding of who they are.

By the way, they were raised in the Mennonite church - interesting!🙏❤️🙏

• Thanks 1

Here's the thing: I'm gonna offer my complete unqualified opinion. 

I have a gut feeling that if Girl Named Tom can keep the band together during the next years to come, they'll achieve a comfortable level of success within their genre. Much more so than some of the previous Voice winners. 

My reasoning is...

Folk and Americana's market isn't huge like country or pop. The competition for what Cam Anthony, Chevel, Brynn, etc., are trying to achieve is different. If GNT signs with an indie record label, starts getting gigs like Newport Folk Fest and becomes somewhat regulars in community radios such as WFUV, they'll already be in a comfortable place. Especially when everything a folk artist need is a solid base of listeners, which they've been gathering during the course of the program. And Itunes make it evident. 

My point is: I feel like if GNT actually wins, there's a chance they'll be one of the best winners The Voice ever produced. I'm not saying they'll become Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood at all, but if they play their cards right, they might be a new name in the Americana/Singer-songwriter/Folk circuit. 

Edited by SNI2
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SNI2 said:

Here's the thing: I'm gonna offer my complete unqualified opinion. 

I have a gut feeling that if Girl Named Tom can keep the band together during the next years to come, they'll achieve a comfortable level of success within their genre. Much more so than some of the previous Voice winners. 

My reasoning is...

Folk and Americana's market isn't huge like country or pop. The competition for what Cam Anthony, Chevel, Brynn, etc., are trying to achieve is different. If GNT signs with an indie record label, starts getting gigs like Newport Folk Fest and becomes somewhat regulars in community radios such as WFUV, they'll already be in a comfortable place. Especially when everything a folk artist need is a solid base of listeners, which they've been gathering during the course of the program. And Itunes make it evident. 

My point is: I feel like if GNT actually wins, there's a chance they'll be one of the best winners The Voice ever produced. I'm not saying they'll become Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood at all, but if they play their cards right, they might be a new name in the Americana/Singer-songwriter/Folk circuit. 

They're pretty marketable. Young, good looking, charismatic, and talented guys.

You're right when you say that folk is less competitive than pop and country, I'd say indeed if they play their cards right, and hopefully with some Kelly help, they can make a good living out of this.

All I know is that as soon as they release another album, I'll be there.

• Like 1

Good point about the folkie/Americana route.  We have several venues here on that circuit, and pre-pandemic I got to see a lot of those folks. I think that, with some management help, they could draw in the middle-sized venues as soon as they have a good album to tour on. A lot, maybe most, of those folks make their living playing live so it's a life on the road.

They may have bigger dreams. My biggest concern would to be locked in to a major that doesn't care about them.

Edited by WastedinMemphis
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

They're pretty marketable. Young, good looking, charismatic, and talented guys.

You're right when you say that folk is less competitive than pop and country, I'd say indeed if they play their cards right, and hopefully with some Kelly help, they can make a good living out of this.

All I know is that as soon as they release another album, I'll be there.

I most definitely will be, 'cause singer-songwriter/Americana is right in my wheelhouse.

And I actually gave it a go on their "Back up plan" single and there's potential. It just needs better producing (which they'll end up getting it, with a contract). 

I mean, look at this line up for the Newport Folk Festival in 2021. There are great names within the genre, but there's also a lot of up-and-coming artists that all they got to their name is one album rotating on indie radio and opening acts for artists like Jason Isbell.  

If the folk and Americana community embrace a "singing competition act", it's done. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, WastedinMemphis said:

Good point about the folkie/Americana route.  We have several venues here on that circuit, and pre-pandemic I got to see a lot of those folks. I think that, with some management help, they could draw in the middle-sized venues as soon as they have a good album to tour on. A lot, maybe most, of those folks make their living playing live so it's a life on the road.

They may have bigger dreams. My biggest concern would to be locked in to a major that doesn't care about them.

Yes. Maybe the worst move they can do right now it attach themselves to a major label. They aren't friendly with folk acts and won't get the connections needed in this particular circuit. They need to go indie ASAP. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ssukie said:

GNT's album, Hits from the Road is currently 5th on iTunes Pop Album Chart :spaz: 

I can't remember when a contestant's pre-show album has done so well.  

FGIef7oVgAMO09t?format=jpg&name=medium

This makes me so happy 🙂 I’m glad people are taking the time to listen to their pre-show music. 

6 hours ago, SNI2 said:

Yes. Maybe the worst move they can do right now it attach themselves to a major label. They aren't friendly with folk acts and won't get the connections needed in this particular circuit. They need to go indie ASAP. 

Yeah. My hope is that Kelly can guide them in the right direction.

9 hours ago, C12Lou said:

I recommend Lou's article.  Interesting stuff about working with Kelly, the Coldplay pick and their thoughts about where they're going (not Coldplay).

"What would we see on a Girl Named Tom tour that we haven’t seen on the show?

Bekah: Our goal for Girl Named Tom is to be the next harmony trio of our generation and bring back those beautiful lyrics to catchy songs that really stick with people. The first step is those intimate places and to see if we can build it from there.

Caleb: (jokes) What she was going to say was first step, Carnegie Hall.

Bekah: I always say that but that’s a pipe dream."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have folks here listened to GNT's Another World EP on Spotify?  All originals, pretty good stuff. (I assume you have lol) Loved this one in particular.

also on YouTube -

Edited by WastedinMemphis
  • Like 1