The DWTS Dances Mini Rankdown (Season 5, Round 2)

*Amanda

SEASON 3 TOP 20

#10-6

10. "Dance to the Music"

Cha-Cha by Emmitt Smith & Cheryl Burke

WtmEOOn.jpg

Watch Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_I7Incsp4g

Chris: 1/20

Lily: 1/20
Elliott: 4/20
Amanda: 5/20

Alex: 6/20

Kaley: 6/20

Wally: 8/20

Cam: 12/20

Sola: 15/20

IDF Victoria: 16/20

Diana: 20/20

Gigi: 20/20

LILY

I almost had this at my #2 and then I had to move this up. Mario is technically sensational, but there's something just so undeniably infectious about watching Emmitt perform. The Cha-Cha is absolutely his dance, not only did he really kill it and keep up with Cheryl and the choreo but he just makes you smile watching him. He ends up as the face of DWTS season 3 to me throughout it all and I have to put it as my #1 because this just feels like a perfect representation of his run on the show.

CHRIS

When I think of Season 3, this is the routine that I often think about - easily my favourite routine, and the way Emmitt took over the dance floor with this routine is one of my favourite thing to happen during that season. 

AMANDA

Such a fun dance that brought out Emmitt's personality and charisma! And it was danced fantastically, too! I was hoping it would do better in this ranking, but Emmitt clearly isn't immune from the anti-football sentiment that IDF has, unfortunately. :( 

ALEX

An incredibly fun dance, Emmitt is a natural on the dance floor. He genuinely looked like a professional out there with this one.

WALLY

Emmitt & Cheryl’s "Dance to the Music" Cha-Cha is one of my favorite dances from Emmitt! I love how much fun  Emmitt has in these dances. His joy is just so infectious to watch. The start side by side dancing he and Cheryl does sets the mood of how fun this dance. Then I love the side by side dancing they do. But then the Cha-Cha partnering section is SO good and so much fun. Emmitt has such goo rhythm, hip action and so light & precise with his footwork. LOL I love that “Ride Sally, ride!” part - where they look like they are riding some invisible car. :haha: Ooh I LOVE Emmitt’s solo towards the end, where he is getting down with his bad self! GO EMMITT. :bobo: This dance is a straight up party and it seriously puts the biggest smile on my face whenever I watch this! 

9. "The Heat Is On"

Jive by Monique Coleman & Louis Van Amstel

jJiBDt8.png

Watch Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMfPi1fteRk

Gigi: 2/20
Lily: 4/20

Wally: 6/20

Chris: 7/20

Diana: 7/20

Elliott: 8/20
Cam: 10/20

Amanda: 11/20

IDF Victoria: 11/20

Sola: 14/20

Kaley: 16/20

Alex: 18/20

LILY

One of my favorite routines from the early seasons. Monique literally throwing herself off the stage.. it's an iconic moment. She totally sold this, such a charismatic performer.

WALLY

I think i have always thought of Monique’s Jive as my favorite dance of hers. And even after re-watching these dances, I still stand by that fact. I thought this was an outstanding Jive from Monique so early on in Week 3. :wub: LOL I love how this dance starts off with a bang with how she runs towards Louis, turns around and throws herself at him. That takes major guts. :dead: But then her actual Jivng dancing is really fantastic. She’s so light and precise on her feet and she is so effortless in all of her spins. Such fun partnering dancing! :bobo: She has really great sharp kicks & flicks here too. Monique just makes it all look so natural and she dances with such ease. One of the big standout parts for me is where she does a high kick, does an assisted split and Louis twirls her around and she does many twirls and gets back up after that. I remember she had a wardrobe malfunction when this dance happened live but she just kept it going like nothing happened. This was just such a cool and fantastic dance! ❤️ 

CHRIS

One of my favourite dance from Monique & Louis - one of the highlight of this routine was certainly Monique's energy.

AMANDA

A really fun routine! Monique did so amazing here.

ALEX

I feel like the dance was a bit slower than I would have preferred, but Monique still did a great job. I also really loved seeing her mom there and that relationship ❤️

8. "So Nice"

Rumba by Monique Coleman & Louis Van Amstel

LODJEC9.jpg

Watch Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgkVpEMNovQ

Diana: 1/20
Gigi: 1/20

Kaley: 4/20

Amanda: 7/20

Chris: 8/20

Lily: 9/20

IDF Victoria: 9/20

Elliott: 11/20

Alex: 14/20

Cam: 15/20

Wally: 16/20
Sola: 18/20

AMANDA

A stunning and gorgeous dance! A great display of their chemistry as well as Monique's crazy flexibility.

CHRIS

The judges wanted chemistry, they got chemistry. And I love how sultry this routine was - I didn't notice that back in the day but revisiting this routine now as an adult, wow #steamy.  And Monique's movement in this routine >>> 

LILY

Keep your Shawns, Lauries, Simones etc. because OG gymnastic queen Monique literally doing the MOST with that final move! A really gorgeous routine and another favorite of mine from Monique.

ALEX

That! Final! Pose! I never knew how much strength Monique had before this dance. She created so many gorgeous shapes and danced it well. The chemistry wasn't perfect, but I still really enjoyed it!

WALLY

I believe my 4 favorite Monique made the Top 20 finals here, and I couldn’t be happier about that. :wub: Monique & Louis’ Rumba is probably my least favorite of those four (though I think this is stronger than her Mambo) but that’s nothing bad because I still really like this a lot. Monique danced this very beautifully. She has such fluid arms and great hip action. I like the partnering she and Louis does, but whoa she has some really fast leg action. Monique proves some good tricks and wow moments here, such as the split, then that extension move she does while holding Louis’ dance and of course that insane move where she does that leg extension move towards Louis and rotates it? I can’t describe it but that move was SICK! :omg: I dont think I ever saw that again but i’ll always remember that part.

7. "Superstition"

Samba by Mario Lopez & Karina Smirnoff

b98bruM.jpg

Watch Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUY4nEvs5Uc

Sola: 2/20
Kaley: 3/20

IDF Victoria: 4/20

Amanda: 6/20

Alex: 7/20

Cam: 7/20

Gigi: 11/20

Wally: 12/20

Chris: 14/20

Diana: 15/20

Elliott: 15/20

Lily: 15/20

AMANDA

Love this! Mario is just so amazing in every dance, but especially in the Latin dances.

ALEX

mean, come on. If Mario DIDN'T kill the Samba there would've been something very wrong in the world.

WALLY

This "Superstition" Samba from Mario & Karina was SO much fun. Mario has such a natural and ease way to his dancing in these party Latin dances. I love all of the partnering Mario & Karina does together, but then some of their side by side dancing is even better! Mario has such great rhythm and footwork here. Ooh gotta love a Samba roll, which was really great here. They do a lot of partnering dancing with just one hand but it works and is so cool. :bobo: LOL then there’s that part where Mario gets down with it. I like all of those kick moves Karina did right before their closing move. Carrie-Ann said he really enjoyed itself for the first time - which he did look like he was dancing such an ease here and having the time of his life. Such a great dance! 

CHRIS

This was a super fun Samba with tons of rhythm and personality; it's just not one that I find myself thinking about often.  And I am sure this  is an unpopular opinion, but I slightly prefer their Waltz to the Samba. 

LILY

Another Latin dance where Mario just looked totally at ease and in his element. Really enjoyed this!

6. "Ran Kan Kan"

Mambo by Mario Lopez & Karina Smirnoff

jwuyPcC.jpg

Watch Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIWCHR_MVag

Kaley: 1/20

Amanda: 2/20

Alex: 5/20

Lily: 5/20

Wally: 5/20

Sola: 6/20

IDF Victoria: 6/20

Gigi: 9/20

Cam: 13/20

Diana: 14/20

Elliott: 17/20

Chris: 20/20

AMANDA

The show really needs to bring back the Mambo. Why do we need 10000 Jazztemporary routines each season when we could've kept Mambo as a regular style? Most of the pros can't choreograph Jazztemporary to save their lives anyway. /rant

Anyway, Mario SLAYS this. Such a fun routine that is danced amazingly. I just love it so much. Possibly my favorite Mambo the show has had? I'm glad it made the Top 20, but it just barely missing out on the Top 5 kinda hurts.

ALEX

The jealous Karina storyline fndjsafndaljksfnakl the DWTS producers back in the good ol days of the show were so messy :wub: . Anyways, Mario is so sexy lmao. He gets so into all the dances it's a joy to watch.

LILY

Bring back the Mambo! Seriously, what a professional. The way Mario seemed to just be completely full of energy and never lost it in these numbers compared to now when there are celebs who can't keep up with dances half the length.

WALLY

I was thinking I was in the unpopular opinion of really loving Mario’s Mambo and considering one of his best dances. But I am certainly glad that isn’t the case as I see a number of rankers love this too. This is one of those dances that i forget how good it was and how much I love it until I rewatch it, and then i am blown away by it. Mario already shines with his little solo section before Karina joins him. But then Mario & Karina’s dancing together is SO dynamite and amazing to watch. I love all of their side by side dancing. Mario is so smooth, fluid in his dancing an never misses a beat.But my favorite part of the dance is all of the partner-work an armorgraphy they do. :omg: It’s honestly some of (if not very) favorite partnering work I’ve ever seen! :omg: Maybe an advantage but Mario has that Latin blood in him and he legit looks like a professional that has danced the Mambo for nearly his whole life. :omg: I love how they both get down and grimy with their dancing around the middle of it, and then back to more partnering dancing. I also love those parts where Mario dips and picks Karina back up and she does a split and then  him dipping her down and kicking over her? ICONIC moves. Then all of that insane arm-orgraphy at the end? IT KILLS ME. :dead: How this did not score a 30? I do not understand.

CHRIS

This was a super fun Mambo but I am ranking it here as I prefer the other routines more; it just came down to personal taste & I thought his other routines were better.

Edited by *Amanda

• *Amanda changed the title to The DWTS Dances (Mini) Rankdown (Season 3, #10-6 Posted)
7 minutes ago, *Amanda said:

The show really needs to bring back the Mambo. Why do we need 10000 Jazztemporary routines each season when we could've kept Mambo as a regular style? Most of the pros can't choreograph Jazztemporary to save their lives anyway. /rant

ily

Just saw the comments about my ranking of Monique's Mambo... plot twist :giggle:I was shocked to rank it that low myself and thought I'd have it way higher. I think it may have hurt it a little that I watched it first on my rewatch and I ended up having so many dances I loved that it kept getting brought down slightly as I continued to rank. Still love it though ❤️ 

CONGRATS TO THE TOP 5!

Mario Lopez & Karina Smirnoff - "Cancion Del Mariachi" (Paso Doble)

Monique Coleman & Louis Van Amstel - "Ghostbusters" (Cha-Cha)

Mario Lopez & Karina Smirnoff - "Whatever Lola Wants" (Tango)

Emmitt Smith & Cheryl Burke - "U Can't Touch This" (Freestyle)

Mario Lopez & Karina Smirnoff - "It Takes Two" (Freestyle)

The winner will be revealed tonight! Make your predictions on which of these will win!

6 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

Only one Emmitt performance in the entire top 9 you all have done him dirty!

THIS! I know IDF (rightfully) gets annoyed at the kid gloves the football players as of late get, but Emmitt really does not deserve to be lumped in with the rest of them.

King snapped in two seasons :wub:

• Like 2

Okay now I can kinda rage about Emmitt’s Cha-Cha coming in 10th as I would have preferred and wished this ranked a bit higher. :( I agree with a lot of what Lily said on this dance. Gahh and yeah with Amanda’s comments on the anti-fooball sentiment comments…. I am worried for the football players I really like or love (either less than or more than Emmitt) in future rounds.

Ugh yikes now I am mad that Monique’s Jive came in #9. Dang, i really loved this and was hoping this would rank higher…. and yah my favorite dance of hers. But I am in the minority there. :broken: But still lots of love for this amazing dance!

And I’m mad Monique’s Rumba beat out her Jive. I should have done some ranking adjustments. Lmao I’m a mess. :dead: But no really this is gorgeous and not mad at this for coming in at #8. lmaoo Love Lily’s OG gymnast comment here. :lmao:

OK yay happy that my two Bottom 10 ranked dances showed up now. :giggle: Okay Mario’s Superstition Samba was fantastic. Great spot for this dance. I did lower this a bit than where i originally had it but glad its ranking wasn’t affected.

Aww nooo I’m sad Mario’s Mambo just missed out in the Top 5, as I was hoping for a different Mario dance to show up but OH WELL. Very pleased with it coming in at #6 at least. Yess to all the bring back the Mambo comments! OMG LMAO at Amandas Jazztemporary styles rant. :dead: This was such an amazing Mambo and so disgusting this didn’t get a 30 as it’s flawless. 

Wow this set was an interesting one for me. :dead:  Some dances I wished were higher and some wished was lower. :haha:

40 minutes ago, *Lily said:

"Dance to the Music" at #10? Y'all are haters!

Right? Ugh I wish I ranked it higher to help it out some. :broken: 

Though surprised to see a lot of #1s for it but happy for it. ❤️ 

39 minutes ago, *Lily said:

Just saw the comments about my ranking of Monique's Mambo... plot twist :giggle:I was shocked to rank it that low myself and thought I'd have it way higher. I think it may have hurt it a little that I watched it first on my rewatch and I ended up having so many dances I loved that it kept getting brought down slightly as I continued to rank. Still love it though ❤️ 

Oooh thanks for explaining. This all makes a lot of sense. :haha: 

30 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

Only one Emmitt performance in the entire top 9 you all have done him dirty!

Yeah he should have at least 2 routines in the Top 9. :( 

25 minutes ago, *Amanda said:

I really thought Emmitt's Cha-Cha would do better but the 2 #20 rankings really hurt it and then Victoria's low ranking of it put it at #10 in the tiebreaker with Monique's Jive. :( 

Ugh both of those i wanted higher. 😢 :broken: 

33 minutes ago, *Amanda said:

CONGRATS TO THE TOP 5!

Mario Lopez & Karina Smirnoff - "Cancion Del Mariachi" (Paso Doble)

Monique Coleman & Louis Van Amstel - "Ghostbusters" (Cha-Cha)

Mario Lopez & Karina Smirnoff - "Whatever Lola Wants" (Tango)

Emmitt Smith & Cheryl Burke - "U Can't Touch This" (Freestyle)

Mario Lopez & Karina Smirnoff - "It Takes Two" (Freestyle)

The winner will be revealed tonight! Make your predictions on which of these will win!

Hmmm this is hard to predict but going with this for now....

5. Emmitt's Freestyle - cause his dances often get overlooked/under-ranked. Though i know I am guilty of that with two of his dances.

4. Mario's Freestyle

3. Monique's Cha-Cha

2. Mario's Paso 

1. Mario's Tango

But yayy two of my favorite Mario dances, my favorite Emmitt dance and 2nd fave Monique dance are all in there. :wub:  And ranking wise I think this means my #1, #2, #3, #9 and #10 are all remaining. :haha: