Actors & Actresses Rankdowns 2.0 (Winner Posted)

Steven_

15. BONNIE BACH - CHARLIE WILSON'S WAR (2007)

Film Synopsis: In the 1980s U.S. Rep. Charlie Wilson (Tom Hanks), Texas socialite Joanne Herring (Julia Roberts) and CIA agent Gust Avrakotos (Philip Seymour Hoffman) form an unlikely alliance to boost funding for Afghan freedom fighters in their war against invading Soviets. The trio's successful efforts to finance these covert operations contributes to the fall of the Soviet Union and the end of the Cold War. Amy Adams had a supporting role in the film as Wilson's assistant, Bonnie Bach.

REI: 11

DIANA: 14

MEGAN: 14

ALEX: 15 - One of the two movies I haven't seen. I ranked it last just because the comments in the thread seemed to indicate it should be last lol.

ANDY: 15 - Like I said, The Muppets should have been represented over this one.

CHRIS: 15

TOM: 15

14. LYNNE CHENEY  - VICE (2018)

Film Synopsis: Governor George W Bush of Texas picks Dick Cheney, the CEO of Halliburton Co, to be his Republican running mate in the 2000 presidential election. No stranger to politics, Cheney's impressive résumé includes stints as White House chief of staff, House Minority Whip and defence secretary. When Bush wins by a narrow margin, Cheney begins to use his newfound power to help reshape the country and the world. Amy Adams plays Dick Cheney's wife, Lynne Cheney. She was nominated for Best Actress in a Supporting Role at the Oscars and Golden Globes for this role.

ALEX: 7 - While this movie didn't win me over, I love Bale and Adams here. I said she was Lady Macbeth-esque in The Master, but even moreso here. She plays WASP housewife really well!

ANDY: 8 - Just rewatched the movie and I was reminded that I really don't like it, lol. Amy overacts here a little but I think the script kinda calls for it a bit. Overall, she's still amazing and deserved her Oscar nom.

TOM: 9

CHRIS: 13

DIANA: 13

REI: 14

MEGAN: 15

13. ROSE LORKOWSKI - SUNSHINE CLEANING (2008)

Film Synopsis: Though they once seemed to have a bright future, life seems to be passing by the Norkowski sisters. Rose (Amy Adams), once the most popular girl in high school, is a single mom and works as a maid. Norah (Emily Blunt) still lives at home with their father (Alan Arkin) and parties all the time. When Rose's married lover tells her about the lucrative field of crime-scene cleanup, she pours all her remaining resources into her new business, and recruits the squeamish Norah to help.

CHRIS: 4 - Not sure if this is my all-time favourite performance of hers but ranking it here to ensure it doesn't rank last as I am not sure if anyone else seen it. Anyway, this movie is one of my favourite indie movie. Both her and Emily Blunt are excellent in this movie.

MEGAN: 8

DIANA: 9

ALEX: 13 - One of two movies I haven't seen. The trailer seemed nice, I love Adams and Blunt so I might check it out!

TOM: 13

ANDY: 14 - Love the two leads, I think I started the movie awhile ago but never finished it. I'm sure she's great in this.

REI: 15

12. SUSAN MORROW - NOCTURNAL ANIMALS (2016)

Film Synopsis: A successful Los Angeles art-gallery owner's idyllic life is marred by the constant traveling of her handsome second husband. While he is away, she is shaken by the arrival of a manuscript written by her first husband, who she has not seen in years. The manuscript tells the story of a teacher who finds a trip with his family turning into a nightmare. As Susan reads the book, it forces her to examine her past and confront some dark truths. Amy Adams plays gallery owner, Susan Morrow.

TOM: 4

REI: 5

ALEX: 11 - She's good and the movie's good. Not going crazy about it one way or the other.

CHRIS: 11

ANDY: 13 - Again, for any actor, this would be higher. Amy is good here but she doesn't really have enough material in the role itself to make it one of her best.

MEGAN: 13

DIANA: 15

11. JULIE POWELL - JULIE & JULIA (2009)

Film Synopsis: Frustrated with a soul-killing job, New Yorker Julie Powell (Amy Adams) embarks on a daring project: she vows to prepare all 524 recipes in Julia Childs' landmark cookbook, "Mastering the Art of French Cooking." Intertwined with Julie's story is the true tale of how Julia Child (Meryl Streep) herself conquered French cuisine with passion, fearlessness, and plenty of butter

DIANA: 3

ALEX: 8 - Sorry to Meryl & Stanley, but I was WAY more invested in Amy & Chris Messina's storyline here. I really think she's so underrated in this movie.

CHRIS: 10

TOM: 10

ANDY: 11 - She's fun here! For any actor I would have this in my Top 5 probably but Amy has so many great performances.

MEGAN: 11

REI: 13

10. SYDNEY PROSSER - AMERICAN HUSTLE (2013)

Film Synopsis: Irving Rosenfeld (Christian Bale) dabbles in forgery and loan-sharking, but when he falls for fellow grifter Sydney Prosser (Amy Adams), things change in a big way. Caught red-handed by FBI agent Richie DiMaso (Bradley Cooper), Irv and Sydney are forced to work under cover as part of DiMaso's sting operation to nail a New Jersey mayor (Jeremy Renner). Meanwhile, Irv's jealous wife (Jennifer Lawrence) may be the one to bring everyone's world crashing down. Based on the 1970s Abscam case. Amy Adams won the Golden Globe Award for Best Actress in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy for this role. She also was nominated for Best Actress at the Oscars for this role.

DIANA: 6

ANDY: 7 - The movie is a hot mess but a great display of acting involved, included Amy Adams who landed her first ever Lead Actress nom for this role.

REI: 7

ALEX: 9 - I kinda threw this in the middleish but it kept dropping because I'm very mixed on this performance from Adams. I like how much power she commands, but I have no idea what was going on with her accent. I think J-Law steals the movie and kinda leaves Adams in her dust.

CHRIS: 9

MEGAN: 10

TOM: 14

9. BRENDA STRONG - CATCH ME IF YOU CAN (2002)

Film Synopsis: Frank Abagnale, Jr. (Leonardo DiCaprio) worked as a doctor, a lawyer, and as a co-pilot for a major airline -- all before his 18th birthday. A master of deception, he was also a brilliant forger, whose skill gave him his first real claim to fame: At the age of 17, Frank Abagnale, Jr. became the most successful bank robber in the history of the U.S. FBI Agent Carl Hanratty (Tom Hanks) makes it his prime mission to capture Frank and bring him to justice, but Frank is always one step ahead of him. Amy Adams had a supporting role as Brenda, a young nurse who falls for Frank.

REI: 2

DIANA: 4

MEGAN: 5

TOM: 8

ANDY: 12 - Her earliest performance on this list and it's good! Just so many I prefer over this one.

ALEX: 14 - Just tanking it because Adams has a small role and I'm still bitter it won the Leo round lol. She's very good in her screentime though! I'd love to see her work with Leo again.

CHRIS: 14

8. CHARLENE FLEMING - THE FIGHTER (2010)

Film Synopsis: For Micky Ward (Mark Wahlberg), boxing is a family affair. His tough-as-nails mother is his manager. His half-brother, Dicky (Christian Bale), once a promising boxer himself, is his very unreliable trainer. Despite Micky's hard work, he is losing and, when the latest fight nearly kills him, he follows his girlfriend's advice and splits from the family. Then Micky becomes a contender for the world title and he -- and his family -- earns a shot at redemption. Amy Adams plays Micky's girlfriend, Charlene Fleming.

ALEX: 2 - We don't see Adams as such an alpha character ever. No shade to Melissa Leo or Christian Bale, but I wholeheartedly believe Amy Adams is the MVP of the movie. Such a powerful performance.

REI: 3

MEGAN: 7

ANDY: 9 - I don't love this movie and Amy is a bit too understated here for it to be a fave of mine, but I'm also due for a rewatch. Still - a fantastic performance overall.

DIANA: 10

TOM: 11

CHRIS: 12 - I've tried to watch it a few times and never been able to get into it; no denying the acting is great though.

7. AMY - HER (2013)

Film Synopsis: A sensitive and soulful man earns a living by writing personal letters for other people. Left heartbroken after his marriage ends, Theodore (Joaquin Phoenix) becomes fascinated with a new operating system which reportedly develops into an intuitive and unique entity in its own right. He starts the program and meets "Samantha" (Scarlett Johansson), whose bright voice reveals a sensitive, playful personality. Though "friends" initially, the relationship soon deepens into love. Amy Adams had a supporting role as Theodore's neighbor and friend Amy.

REI: 4

DIANA: 5

TOM: 5

CHRIS: 8

MEGAN: 9

ANDY: 10 - Nothing groundbreaking from Amy herself but I love this movie and she's a sweet, positive presence so it lands at #10.

ALEX: 12 - A small role, but a delightful role.

6. SISTER JAMES - DOUBT (2008)

Film Synopsis: In 1964 the winds of change are sweeping through Sister Aloysius' (Meryl Streep) St. Nicholas school. Father Flynn (Philip Seymour Hoffman), a charismatic priest, is advocating reform of the school's strict customs, and the first black student has just been accepted. When a fellow nun (Amy Adams) tells Sister Aloysius that Father Flynn may be paying too much personal attention to the student, Sister Aloysius begins a personal crusade against the priest -- despite her lack of evidence. Amy Adams was nominated for Best Supporting Actress at the Oscars and Golden Globes for this role.

TOM: 3

ANDY: 6 - Continuing her string of amazing Oscar-nominated performances, Amy is great as a nun in a quandary.

MEGAN: 6

CHRIS: 7 - Another flawless performance.

DIANA: 8

ALEX: 10 - Adams is amazing here, but she goes up against Streep, PSH, and Davis and I think she's worst in show. She just has the least interesting part in the cast unfortunately. I'm glad it's here in the endgame though and she is great!

REI: 12

Edited by Steven_

5. ASHLEY JOHNSTEN - JUNEBUG (2005)

Film Synopsis: On the way to meet with an independent artist in the South, newlywed art dealer Madeleine (Embeth Davidtz) is convinced by her husband, George (Alessandro Nivola), that they should stop to meet his family in North Carolina. Madeleine's affluent lifestyle clashes with the family, but she befriends George's wide-eyed and pregnant sister-in-law, Ashley (Amy Adams), who is nearing her due date. Through the family, Madeleine gains greater insight into George's character. Amy Adams was nominated for Best Supporting Actress at the Oscars for this role. She won the Breakthrough Actor Award at the Gotham Awards for this role.

ANDY: 2 - I can't believe I'm saying this as a Rachel Weisz stan, but this Oscar was Amy's. She was hilarious and heartbreaking in this movie and nothing will ever compare to this performance.

MEGAN: 3

ALEX: 4 - An amazing introduction of Amy Adams to the world. She's incredibly endearing (and sometimes infuriating) in this film. Undoubtably the MVP.

CHRIS: 5 - Brilliant performance - one of her best!

DIANA: 7

REI: 8

TOM: 12

4. PEGGY DODD - THE MASTER (2012)

Film Synopsis: Freddie Quell (Joaquin Phoenix) is a troubled, boozy drifter struggling with the trauma of World War II and whatever inner demons ruled his life before that. On a fateful night in 1950, Freddie boards a passing boat and meets Lancaster Dodd (Philip Seymour Hoffman), the charismatic leader of a religious movement called the Cause. Freddie tries hard to adhere to Dodd's weird teachings and forms a close bond with his mentor, even as other members of Dodd's inner circle see him as a threat. Amy Adams plays the wife to Lancaster Dodd, Peggy Dodd. She was nominated for Best Supporting Actress at the Oscars and Golden Globes for this role. She won Best Supporting Actress at the Hollywood Film Festival for this role.

MEGAN: 2

ALEX: 3 - Very Lady Macbeth-esque, the woman behind the man. We've talked about it enough in the Films Rankdown, Adams is flawless.

ANDY: 5 - Totally earned her Oscar nom, everyone here knows I love this movie and Amy's steely performance here is a big part of the reason why.

CHRIS: 6 - One of the standout of the movie; excellent portrayal.

REI: 6

TOM: 7

DIANA: 11

3. PRINCESS GISELLE - ENCHANTED (2007)

Film Synopsis: In the fairy-tale land of Andalasia, pretty young Giselle frolics with her woodland pals, and falls in love with the handsome Prince Edward, but when Giselle arrives at the castle to marry her Prince Charming, his evil stepmother sends the princess-to-be to a place where there are `no happy ever afters': New York City. Cynical divorce lawyer Robert comes to her rescue, but can Giselle find her way back to her true love? Amy Adams won the Saturn Award for Best Actress for this role, and she received a Best Actress Golden Globe nomination for this role too.

DIANA: 1

CHRIS: 3 - May not be her best performance so this ranking is a question of taste. I absolutely love this movie and cannot wait for the sequel. And in this movie, Amy Adams showing the world she could be a contender for an EGOT one day. Also looking forward to her in Dear Evan Hansen (the movie).

ANDY: 3 - Knowing IDF's taste, I'm sure this will be the winning movie and I ain't even mad. Never have I stanned a Disney princess so hard as I do with Giselle. One of Amy's most iconic roles for sure.

ALEX: 5 - Amy Adams is an actual Disney princess. One of the most charming performances ever.

TOM: 6

REI: 10

MEGAN: 12

2. CAMILLE PREAKER - SHARP OBJECTS (2018)

Series Synopsis: Crime reporter Camille Preaker, suffering from alcoholism and recently discharged from a psychiatric hospital after years of self-harming, returns to her hometown of Wind Gap, Missouri, to investigate the murders of two young girls. Amy Adams was nominated for a Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Limited Series or Movie for this role. She was also nominated for Best Actress at the Golden Globes for this role. She won Best Actress for this role at the Critics' Choice Television Awards and Satellite Awards.  

ALEX: 1 - I genuinely believe this is Amy Adams' best performance. She shows off so much range in this performance and it's completely different from anything else she's ever done.

CHRIS: 2 - Flawless.

TOM: 2

ANDY: 4 - Should have won the Emmy for this role, Amy is devastating here. A great slow burn TV show enhanced by a stunning lead performance.

MEGAN: 4

REI: 9

DIANA: 12

1. DR. LOUISE BANKS - ARRIVAL (2016)

Film Synopsis: Linguistics professor Louise Banks (Amy Adams) leads an elite team of investigators when gigantic spaceships touch down in 12 locations around the world. As nations teeter on the verge of global war, Banks and her crew must race against time to find a way to communicate with the extraterrestrial visitors. Hoping to unravel the mystery, she takes a chance that could threaten her life and quite possibly all of mankind. Amy Adams was nominated for Best Actress at the Golden Globes for this role. She won the Chairman's Award at the Palm Springs International Film Festival for this role.

ANDY: 1 - Tough to pick a #1 for Amy, but I will go with my favorite movie that she's been in. Bonus points because she's actually a lead here and she does stellar work. It's a bit understated but she is fully committed and I adore her in this.

CHRIS: 1 - It should win and it will be deserved. Still annoyed that she was robbed for her role in this movie - actually, I am always annoyed when she gets robbed because she keeps delivering excellent performances one after another.

MEGAN: 1

REI: 1

TOM: 1

DIANA: 2

ALEX: 6 - It's a very subtle and introspective performance, but that doesn't make it bad at all! So robbed of the Oscar nom, Adams is at her best here.

Wow I didn't expect Arrival to make such a killing like that. I do prefer other performances from her obviously, but I'm glad she's getting the justice she deserves :wub:.

Thrilled with Sharp Objects getting 2 despite the anti-tv bias in this game sometimes :wub: 

13 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

And while I would love to say Amy should've won the Emmy for this like Andy did, Michelle Williams is other worldly in Fosse/Verdon and completely deserved her win.

I haven’t seen Fosse/Verdon yet but I love me some Michelle so this might push me to see it!

ROUND 6:

JOAQUIN PHOENIX FILMOGRAPHY

tenor.gif?itemid=16275272

FILM ROLES

SpaceCamp (1986)

Russkies (1987)

Parenthood (1989)

To Die For (1995)

Inventing the Abbotts (1997)

U Turn (1997)

Return to Paradise (1998)

Clay Pigeons (1998)

8mm (1999)

The Yards (2000)

Gladiator (2000)

Quills (2000)

Buffalo Soldiers (2001)

Signs (2002)

It's All About Love (2003)

Brother Bear (2003)

The Village (2004)

Hotel Rwanda (2004)

Ladder 49 (2004)

Walk the Line (2005)

We Own the Night (2007)

Reservation Road (2007)

Two Lovers (2008)

I'm Still Here (2010)

The Master (2012)

The Immigrant (2013)

Her (2013)

Inherent Vice (2014)

Irrational Man (2015)

Unity (2015)

You Were Never Really Here (2017)

Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot (2018)

Mary Magdalene (2018)

The Sisters Brothers (2018)

Joker (2019)

TV ROLES

Morningstar/Eveningstar (1986)

It's time for Round 6!

@#jeah @totes4totes @*Chris @Alex95

Since there are only four rankers, each of you may advance two roles to the Top 15.

• Steven_ changed the title to Actors & Actresses Rankdowns 2.0 (Round 6: Joaquin Phoenix)

REMAINING

FILM ROLES

SpaceCamp (1986)

Russkies (1987)

Parenthood (1989)

To Die For (1995)

Inventing the Abbotts (1997)

U Turn (1997)

Return to Paradise (1998)

Clay Pigeons (1998)

8mm (1999)

The Yards (2000)

Quills (2000)

Buffalo Soldiers (2001)

Signs (2002)

It's All About Love (2003)

Brother Bear (2003)

The Village (2004)

Hotel Rwanda (2004)

Ladder 49 (2004)

We Own the Night (2007)

Reservation Road (2007)

Two Lovers (2008)

I'm Still Here (2010)

Irrational Man (2015)

Unity (2015)

Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot (2018)

Mary Magdalene (2018)

The Sisters Brothers (2018)

TV ROLES

Morningstar/Eveningstar (1986)

@#jeah @totes4totes @*Chris @Alex95

The next step is for each ranker to eliminate five roles of his or her choice.