Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

Can You Ever Forgive Me?

giphy.gif

The choice came down to the face that I've actually seen Spider-Man: Homecoming and I haven't seen Can You Ever Forgive Me? Nothing more, nothing less. If Spider-Man: Homecoming was was against say The Social Network than I would have saved The Social Network but that is not the case. Can You Ever Forgive Me? was released in 2018 and is American biographical film directed by Marielle Heller. The screenplay is by Nicole Holofcener and Jeff Whitty and it's based on the 2008 confessional memoir of the same name by Lee Israel. The film stars Melissa McCarthy as Israel. The film follows her attempts to  revitalize her failing writing career by forging letters from deceased authors and playwrights. Seems interesting enough that I may just give it a watch. The film also stars Richard E. Grant, Dolly Wells, Jane Curtin, Anna Deavere Smith, Stephen Spinella, and Ben Falcone. The film was released by Fox Searchlight Pictures. The film made $11.7 million dollars on a budget of $10 millions dollars. Melissa McCarthy's performance was praised and even generated Oscar buzz. I'm sure if I had seen the film I would be saving it but the fact of the matter is I haven't and I have to go with what I know. :(

Save: Spider-Man: Homecoming

1 hour ago, Alex95 said:

@totes4totes is next to nominate 14 films. @.Rei @Deeee @1234567890 @Steven_ @#jeah @*Chris @Elliott (or @FrogLenzen) will be cutting and saving this round.

I'm cool if Derek wants to continue subbing for me for the the time being (probably the next few days). I'll let him/you know when I'm up for the stress of a full rankdown again. :broken:

16 minutes ago, Elliott said:

I'm cool if Derek wants to continue subbing for me for the the time being (probably the next few days). I'll let him/you know when I'm up for the stress of a full rankdown again. :broken:

I am available. Just say the word and I’ll disappear again.

• Like 1

probs gonna have to wait until i get home so i can accurately go through and see every movie that anybody has ever saved in this rankdown so i can properly form my nominations.

(lol last time i tried to do that it crashed my computer since i had so many tabs open and the wifi slowed my computer down until my computer was just like "nope")

Edited by totes4totes

probably not as dramatic as you expected. 

Nominations:

Kick-Ass

The King's Speech

Shutter Island

The Ides of March

War Horse

My Week with Marilyn

Silver Linings Playbook

The Place Beyond the Pines

American Hustle

Captain Phillips

The Wolf of Wall Street

Foxcatcher

Kingsman: The Secret Service

Tully

3 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

I'll take The King Speech over Eddie Redmayne playing a trans woman any day!

in my defense, when i said that i was under the impression that tom hooper only had three movies: cats (best), the king's speech, and les miserables. despite my grudge against tom hooper i clearly didn't due my due diligence in researching him so i could hate his work more thoroughly and wholly. so king's speech is his second worst movie.

• Haha 1

FOXCATCHER

Foxcatcher_First_Teaser_Poster.jpg

So many of my favorite movies were just nominated, and Foxcatcher is one of the very few nominees I'm willing to cut. Described as a sports crime drama film, Foxcatcher is about millionaire John du Pont recruting wrestler Mark Schultz and his older brother David for the 1988 Olympics. Based on a true story, the film details the Olympic competition and the murder of David by the hands of du Pont. Despite it being based on a true story, there are discrepancies and those are all listed on the film's Wikipedia page. Nonetheless, Foxcatcher was critically acclaimed with praise for the performances of Steve Carell, Channing Tatum, and Mark Ruffalo. The film was nominated for five Academy Awards, but lost in all its categories. However, the film did win the Best Director prize for Bennett Miller at the 2014 Cannes Film Festival. I've heard of this film, but I can't say it's one I was ever interested in watching. Sorry for the rushed write-up, but I'm typing this quickly to save War Horse as fast as possible.

And I'm saving War Horse.

tumblr_mqt8791kBI1r331r3o1_250.gif

The Wolf of Wall Street (2013 dir. by Martin Scorsese)

wolf of wall street oscars GIF

I will definitely add more to this later, but I am preoccupied at the moment and wanted to lock in my cut while I could. Truth be told I could care less about any of the films nominated, so this save is pretty meaningless. Tom Hooper is a terrible filmmaker, but I am a large fan of both Bonham Carter and Firth. That was the only logic I applied to this situation.

Anyways. On to my cut. The film is overrated in my opinion. A biographical crime black comedy based on the 2007 memoir of the same name by Jordan Belfort, the story follows Belfort as he looks back on his time as a stockbroker on Wall Street. Of course this recounting of events mainly focuses on how his firm, Stratton Oakmont, engaged in massive fraud and corrupt activity on Wall Street. This led to only 22 months of prison time for him, which always infuriates me.

White crime involving massive corruption and fraud = 22 months for the rich white guy.

Minor illegal activity for Black people = murder + massive sentences

There is a ton of controversy surrounding the making of the film. However, the film released to widespread critical acclaim and topped many year-end lists. A ton of award nominations for the fifth project involving the DiCaprio-Scorsese pairing. A financial success. A lot of criticism from real-life players involved in the scenario, but Belfort himself had some praise for the film. 

I promise I will add more in a bit. Just gotta run a few errands.

SAVING: The King’s Speech
Edited by Deeee

THE IDES OF MARCH (2011)

3q6H.gif

Taking any excuse possible to show off Ryan Gosling's beauty tbh. This is a movie that I saw on a plane a couple of years ago and I actually remember enjoying it for the most part....then again I don't recall actually finishing it so it couldn't have been THAT good. :haha: The Ides Of March is a 2011 political drama film starring George Clooney and Ryan Gosling, with a really strong supporting cast including PSH, Evan Rachel Wood, Paul Giamatti, Marisa Tomei, and Jeffrey Wright. It's about a governor (Clooney) who is in the Democratic primary race for President. Ryan Gosling plays the governor's campaign manager who has to deal with a lot of unforeseen obstacles that arise during the campaign. It received a respectable 84% on RT and a lot of the praise went to the performances, particularly Gosling's. Again I remember enjoying the film a good bit but not enough to keep it around any longer.

Saving: Silver Linings Playbook