The X Factor Rankdown

*Chris

MISHA B

Misha_B2014.jpg

Am I being petty by doing my Misha B write-up before my Janet Devlin write-up? No comment. 😘 Misha B was one of the contestants from the eighth series, who contributed (in her own way) to that Final 7 (post-Amelia return, obvz) being great. Her most notable storyline was when Gary Barlow accused her of bullying the other contestants, and it immediately affected her vote. I don't think he used the right choice of words, but considering all of the finalists said they clashed with Misha, it wouldn't be a stretch to say she was the common denominator. Anyway, she had a few performances I enjoyed - namely her performance of Singer 2018 winner Jessie J's Who You Are - but her outlasting Kitty Brucknell and Janet Devlin was a choice. I don't know what she's done post-XF and I don't really care, so out she goes here.

The MacDonald Brothers - Sola

Giovanni Spano - 

Carmelo Munzone - Tom, Sola, Victoria, Elliott

Cat Vas - Zoey, Elliott

Chynna Taylor - Tom, Victoria

Mae Valley - Zoey

JANET DEVLIN

Y'all weren't supposed to eliminate Janet, but it's my fault. :rofl:

So Janet was one of my early favourites in her series, and was actually my favourite for a good chunk of the series after Amelia's robbery at the start of the season. Unfortunately, Janet was on Kelly Rowlegend's team and Kelly... had no idea what to do with Janet musically. Her performances before the live rounds were good, and I enjoyed all of them even if I could do without hearing the asteroid song on a singing show ever again. Once the live shows started, she kicked off her run with two great performances in Fix You and Can't Help Falling in Love. Haley Reinhart is shook. Sweet Child o' Mine was pretty decent, even if it wasn't something I'd say was a good choice for her.

After that, things took a bit of a sour turn when it became clear that Kelly/the producers were most likely just googling "songs for quirky folk-pop singer to cover" to figure out what to have Janet singing. Add in that Janet wasn't really enjoying her time on the show anymore, and we've reached the Megan Joy-Brooke White threshold for all quirky female singer-songwriters who come on these shows. I Want You Back was terrible, but she still led the vote. Once Amelia returned, Janet saw her vote totals going down slightly, and she placed second for her performance of Queen's Somebody to Love. Was it an improvement over I Want You Back? Yes, but that's #lowstandards. The next week was Movie Songs week, and Janet was predictably assigned Kiss Me by Sixpence None the Richer. It was a decent performance, but Janet's voice always sounded off on it to me. :ph34rwave:

The Top 5 saw Janet Devlin go full Brooke White, as she forgot the lyrics to MMMBop of all songs. :huh: She followed that up with a cover of Red Hot Chili Peppers' Under the Bridge, a song she actually got to pick for herself. I remember watching the show and really hating the performance, but it's actually one of my favourites from her now. :rofl: I still think the subsequent covers she did free of X Factor's sound mix were better, but that's to be expected. She, perhaps surprisingly given her dominance in the votes to date, landed in the bottom two the next evening. Up against Misha B, Janet Devlin ended her run on a high note by turning in her best performance of the entire series with Chasing Cars. Even though Misha had already landed in the sing-off three times, Kelly Rowland put her acting chops to use by ~pretending~ she couldn't possibly decide between Janet and Misha (even though literally everyone knew Misha was her favourite act). With her refusal to vote, Janet was eliminated as the prior two votes had been to keep Misha.

I would insert a Tatianna Choices gif here, but considering how terrible of a mentor Kelly was for her, and Janet's growing displeasure from being on the show, it was probably a good thing she was eliminated here. That said, I was still bummed because I felt she never really got to show her potential on the show, and was due to sing a Nirvana song the next week with Courtney Love's blessing. I'M UPSET.

Post-X Factor, Janet has carved a niche career out for herself, with two successfully crowdfunded albums, a few EPs and singles, and an active social media presence.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2020 at 3:17 PM, 1234567890 said:

Emily Middlemas

FailingEarlyErin-small.gif

I chose to eliminate Emily Middlemas because she was inconsistent despite having one or two good performances. I'll quote Wally as to why she was cut "She was inconsistent but did have two really good/great moments on the show." and I'll post Elliott's reply "Because IDF only loves bland, uninteresting female contestants when they're on Idol and not on X Factor." and then Sola's response to that Theres no thumbs up button so.  Theres no thumbs up button so. 👍". She hasn't been saved yet so I figured it's no real loss if she leaves and Belle Amie is the only name I realize left.  She placed fourth on the 13th season of The X Factor UK. I'll update this later as I have much updating to do in here and the American Idol Rankdown. :haha:

On 4/22/2020 at 3:33 PM, 1234567890 said:

I just wanted to get it in before the time expired. I'll fix it later. :dead:

college accuse GIF

Giovanni Spano - 

Carmelo Munzone - Tom, Sola, Victoria, Elliott

Cat Vas - Zoey, Elliott

Chynna Taylor - Tom, Victoria, JC

Mae Valley - Zoey, JC

Giovanni Spano - 

Carmelo Munzone - Tom, Sola, Victoria, Elliott, Nico