S18E4 - Rank the Auditions!

indii

BEST/WORST OF THE NIGHT - S18E4  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which audition was the best of the night?

• Anaya Cheyenne - "I'll Never Love Again" by Lady Gaga
    • Mandi Thomas - "Time to Say Goodbye" by Andrea Bocelli & Sarah Brightman
    • Jacob Miller - "The Times They Are A-Changin'" by Bob Dylan
    • Jon Mullins - "Don't Give Up on Me" by Andy Grammer
    • Jacob Daniel Murphy - "Until You Come Back to Me" by Aretha Franklin
    • Zan Fiskum - "Light On" by Maggie Rogers
    • Roderick Chambers - "Back at One" by Brian McKnight
    • Jules - "Ain't No Rest for the Wicked" by Cage the Elephant
    • Michael Williams - "You Say" by Lauren Daigle
    • Mike Jerel - "It's a Man's Man's Man's World" by James Brown
  2. 2. Which audition was the worst of the night?

• Anaya Cheyenne - "I'll Never Love Again" by Lady Gaga
    • Mandi Thomas - "Time to Say Goodbye" by Andrea Bocelli & Sarah Brightman
    • Jacob Miller - "The Times They Are A-Changin'" by Bob Dylan
    • Jon Mullins - "Don't Give Up on Me" by Andy Grammer
    • Jacob Daniel Murphy - "Until You Come Back to Me" by Aretha Franklin
    • Zan Fiskum - "Light On" by Maggie Rogers
    • Roderick Chambers - "Back at One" by Brian McKnight
    • Jules - "Ain't No Rest for the Wicked" by Cage the Elephant
    • Michael Williams - "You Say" by Lauren Daigle
    • Mike Jerel - "It's a Man's Man's Man's World" by James Brown
  3. 3. Which no-chair turner was the best?

• Ari Tibi - "The Joke" by Brandi Carlile
    • Chan Fuze - "Groove Me" by King Floyd
    • Jared Harper - "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" by The Rolling Stones

Didn't really realize how mediocre this episode was until I looked at all of the names side by side. Probably describes this season as a whole. A few standouts, some decent people, and the rest an underwhelming bunch.

1. Zan Fiskum - There's the girl I've been waiting for! I have to say, it wasn't QUITE as good as I expected but that's just because my expectations were sky high. The song choice might've had something to do with that though. I felt it was quite limiting. Looking forward to more from her! A-

2. Mike Jerel - Very good technically but he needs to hold back. Performances that stuff so many unnecessary runs can be rather exhausting to watch. A-

3. Mandi Thomas - Not gonna lie, I didn't see that coming. I didn't see any videos of her singing opera pre-show so this came as a pleasant surprise. I do think she's better of singing pop songs. She has an excellent cover of "Skyscraper" by Demi Lovato. IDF may be lukewarm on her now but I believe she can shock people in future rounds. A-

4. Anaya Cheyenne - She reminds me of one of the girls from Hello Sunday would be after a couple years. As of now, she still probably needs a couple more years. I love that Gaga song to death, so I was irked by some of the phrasing choices. She's good but needs more time. B

5. Jacob Miller - This was a pleasant performance. Although I don't know if he belongs on a show like this. I'd imagine hearing his voice on some obscure indie folk album, but not on The Voice. He probably won't last long. B

6. JULES - Umm... I have mixed feelings about this person. She has a good tone and this performance was decent enough but Jules herself just radiates so much pretentiousness. I can't bring myself to grade her more than a B-.

7. Roderick Chambers - Nothing special. Generic RnB singer, he's out by battles. C

8. Jon Mullins - I think we found Todd Tilghman's battle partner. C

9. Jacob Daniel Murphy - I'm getting intense fodder vibes. C-

10. Michael Williams - That was hard to sit through. Out by battles, I can tell. D

I liked how we had some great song choices tonight (Zan, Mandi, Jules to name a few.

Relistening to everyone:

1. Zan Fiskum (9.5/10) - Definitely one of my favorites this season. Has some light Maelyn vibes and it just sounded so peaceful and comforting. She deserves to go far for sure. John's team is STACKED. 

2. Mike Jerel (8.5/10) - Obviously he's very gifted and his tone is phenomenal, so he deserves to go far. Of John's AA R&B males, him and Zach are the only ones that I see myself rooting for past a few rounds.

3. Mandi Thomas (8/10) - About time we hear opera get some more respect on this show. I'm a sucker for this song on singing shows and she's very good. It's true that there have been much, much better versions of the song on international versions, but Mandi's set her own lane in the show and she's capable of doing so much more. Looking forward to hearing what's next!

4. Anaya Cheyenne (8/10) - Compared to other 16 year olds we see on the show, she's one of the few that I would definitely consider "ready" to compete. She's already very good but she's also right on the verge of becoming truly fantastic within the next few years, so I'm not sure if she joined the show in the right season or if she should've waited another few to be a lock for the lives. Right now she risks getting lost in the shuffle.

5. Jules (7.5/10) - Love that she took the risk with switching up the song and adjusted it to suit her voice, but I'm not sure that her voice was enough to actually deserve those 2 chair turns. Not sure how much I liked that... Also of all the artists that Blake knows and doesn't know, he knows Cage the Elephant? lol.

6. Jacob Daniel Murphy (7.5/10) - It was shortened but I actually really liked hearing a male voice on this song. He's certainly not the strongest singer on Blake's team and he'll probably get lost in the shuffle quick, but I think it's great that he got a chair turn. And of course, even though we have no montages this season, they managed to shorten one of the few Asian contestants this season, yet again.

7. Jon Mullins (7.5/10) - We stan a loving husband! His voice was good enough for a chair turn, but it's not a very impressive vocal. On top of that, it's a vocal that will resonate with enough people to carry him further than he actually deserves. On a season that's very light on actual country singers, he has potential to go further than he needs to.

8. Jacob Miller (7/10) - Definitely pleasant enough, but the song itself is just uninteresting to me. There's an audience for him, but it's not me. Also his whole "I was born in the wrong generation" vibe that the show probably forced onto him isn't appealing.

9. Roderick Chambers (7/10) - On a season saturated with R&B males, he's good, but forgettable. I don't feel that he'll last long at all.

10. Michael Williams (5/10) - Ouch. That was sloppily done...

Jared Harper (5/10) - Not actually bad. I think if this was Idol, he would've been sent through without a problem. With a better song, he would've turned a chair without a problem. Maybe next season. He deserved a chair more than Michael.

Ari Tibi (3.5/10) - She didn't sound dreadful in the song, but she could have actually tried to do something interesting with the song. She wasn't singing it like she wanted a chair turn.

Chan Fuze (2/10) - 1 point for trying, 1 point for having a good time.

Watched only the audition parts on YT. Is it me, or was everyone really nervous tonight? 

10. Michael Williams

09. Anaya Cheyenne

08. JULES

07. Mandi Thomas - love to see classical/operatic singers on the show, but this ain't it for me sis.

06. Jacob Daniel Murphy - fellow Filipino sighting! 

05. Roderick Chambers - fell short of my expectations TBH, but points for that song choice. 

04. Zan Fiskum 

03. Mike Jerel

02. Jacob Miller - interesting tone. Would love to hear him when he's in a calmer state. 

01. Jon Mullins - as usual I'm in the minority when I say this is my second favorite audition this season. Love his tone and power. Guess I'm Team Blake this season. Or more accurately, #TeamDENNYS. 😇

1. Zan Fiskum - "Light On" 

2. Roderick Chambers - "Back at One"

3. Anaya Cheyenne - "I'll Never Love Again" 

4. Jules - "Ain't No Rest for the Wicked" 

5. Mike Jerel - "It's a Man's Man's Man's World" 

6. Mandi Thomas - "Time to Say Goodbye" 

7. Jacob Daniel Murphy - "Until You Come Back to Me"

8. Michael Williams - "You Say" 

9. Jon Mullins - "Don't Give Up on Me" 

10. Jacob Miller - "The Times They Are A-Changin'" 

1. Chan Fuze - "Groove Me" 

2. Ari Tibi - "The Joke"

3. Jared Harper - "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" 

Edited by taylorkat

1. Zan Fiskum - "Light On"

2. Anaya Cheyenne - "I'll Never Love Again"

3. Mike Jerel - "It's a Man's Man's Man's World

4. Jon Mullins - "Don't Give Up on Me"

5. Mandi Thomas - "Time to Say Goodbye"

6. Jules - "Ain't No Rest for the Wicked" 

7. Jacob Miller - "The Times"

8.Roderick Chambers - "Back at One" 

9.Michael Williams - "You Say"

10.Jacob Daniel Murphy - "Until You Come Back to Me" 

9 minutes ago, QueenMae16 said:

I really don't trust Tvline Polls, they just pick the one who does the most runs. Aggravating tbh, Zan was clearly the best but whatever. The live show votes will decide the winner.(Even if it is generic country)

Every poll has bias, including IDF polls. At TV Line, the polls tend to be influenced heavily based on who Mason likes. Groupthink happens everywhere, including Facebook. 

Edited by TeamAudra

1. Mike Jerel - "It's a Man's Man's Man's World" 

2. Zan Fiskum - "Light On" 

3. Anaya Cheyenne - "I'll Never Love Again" 

4. Jules - "Ain't No Rest for the Wicked" 

5. Michael Williams - "You Say" 

6. Mandi Thomas - "Time to Say Goodbye" 

7. Roderick Chambers - "Back at One"

8. Jacob Daniel Murphy - "Until You Come Back to Me"

9. Jon Mullins - "Don't Give Up on Me" 

10. Ari Tibi - "The Joke"

11. Jared Harper - "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"