Carrie Underwood Fan Thread

Steven_

• 2 weeks later...

Pittsburgh/PPG Paints Arena in Feb?

Pros... NO HEATWAVE...
Cons... Possible snow to drive through... Yeesh.

I REALLY want to go to a superstar alumni show though. I've only ever seen Daughtry and that was in fall of 2019. After that my only other female winner I've seen live was Maddie Poppe. If we don't count Idols Live! tours. I saw her Christmas tour last December. First concert after the pandemic started. 

I want to see Carrie, Kelly, and Haley Reinhart so dang badly!

I went to Carrie's final residency show last night and walked out very impressed. She put on a great show. I'm not a huge Carrie fan, but I do like her and have always acknowledged her vocal abilities. She has certainly come a long way from her Idol days. :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

Carrie has released more details about the album. Here's what she said about the songs we haven't heard yet:

VELVET HEARTBREAK

“’Velvet Heartbreak’ is one of the first songs that we wrote for this whole project, and it was kind of the first one I really got excited about. I wrote with Hillary Lindsey and David Garcia, and we just kind of started messing with it and started talking about this metaphor of comparing a relationship, a heartbreak, comparing a relationship to clothing. It’s a little bit cynical, but in a cool way, ‘cause it’s something so trivial as picking out a dress at the store that you’re comparing a relationship to it. It just had this super cool vibe about it. The words sound cool – velvet heartbreak – I feel like that’s the kind of thing that would make you say, ‘What is that song? What is that about?’ And it allowed us to just write some killer lines in it. I love, don’t cut the tags off if you take him home. That kind of thing. You’ve got to make sure you can return this guy. Don’t get too far into this relationship. Don’t put too much into it if you can’t get your money back. It’s like a dress at the store that you can’t afford, but you gotta have it. It’s gonna be a discount rack, can’t take it back waiting to happen. I just love that. I feel like it’s the kind of thing that so many women will be like, ‘Omigosh! I totally understand what you’re saying with that.’”

HATE MY HEART

“’Hate My Heart’ is one of the more kind of rockin’ songs on the album. That is one I wrote with Hillary Lindsey, David Garcia and Michael Hardy. And Hardy, of course, is an artist-songwriter, and he definitely has just such a cool way of writing that I’ve respected since the first time I heard some of his stuff that he had written for other people and even some of his own things as an artist that he does. You can immediately tell that he has a special way of saying things. He definitely was a super strong presence in the room that day. We just had a blast writing this song. I feel like it came out very easily, and it was fun getting to make the demo and go into the recording booth and kind of put myself down in it, and fun fact – on the demo, he actually got in there, Michael (HARDY) got in there and did the BGVs (background vocals), so that was a fun experience to kind of get to hear us sing together.”

BURN

“’Burn’ was one of the later songs to make the cut of this album. That one was one that was just really cool. We wanted to make it just very relatable, kind of paint images in the listeners’ mind about different scenarios. We went from like being kind of in the woods to like being at the beach and kind of have these juxtaposition kind of places where this relationship has been. Obviously saying that like in some of the lyrics it’s like your memory is what is keeping me alive, but it also wrecks me, it kills me. So, we got to use a lot of fire metaphors or like whiskey burning kind of metaphors like that, but it’s also a way to create cool visuals. But it’s always a great time working with Hillary (Lindsey) and David (Garcia) and Ashley (Gorley), and we laugh a lot. I feel like this one might have taken a little longer to write, and when I say that, we still wrote it in a day. It’s not like it took us weeks or anything, but it was just really great. I feel like it’s something that’s very relatable. It's got some special moments in it for sure.”

FASTER

“'Faster' is an unapologetically like 80s slow skate, couples skate, slow jam song. I wrote this one with Hillary Lindsey and David Garcia, and I had this title but it kinda had a different meaning in my head. I don’t want to say too much of what I wanted it to be because I may still end up writing it at some point, but it’s like the vibe and the feeling I have is very serious and very poignant and it’s kinda about time, and we kinda tried to write that song but that’s just not where the day was taking us at all. It’s not where the vibe or the energy or the ideas or any of it was taking us. And Hillary was like well, what if we took that title and said it like this and I was like well that makes a lot more sense and that feels really good for where we’re headed for the day, and sometimes you just can’t get in the way of the vibe or the energy or just where the flow of the day is taking you. And it’s just one that we didn’t fight, and I’m really glad we didn’t fight it.

I love all of the vintage-ness of it, because I feel like it’s just so sweet, so authentic, and I don’t do love songs, that’s kinda one thing. I won’t say I don’t do them, but I really rarely do them because I feel like so much of them is, I’m just not mushy gushy like that, but this one I feel like there’s something so sweet about it but I would jam this just for myself you know? So, I love the song. It’s really sweet. There’s something just super nostalgic about it that makes me smile and makes me happy, and I definitely hope people get that when they listen to it. I hope they get the warm fuzzies and imagine themselves being back in seventh grade and seeing their crush in the hallway, and you know it’s like this could be in some ‘80s movie or something where you’d have some sweet montage of a couple. That’s what I want, is people to make their own montages of themselves and their love in their head to this song.”

PINK CHAMPAGNE

“’Pink Champagne’ is definitely one of my favorite songs on the album. It makes me so happy, so happy to listen to, so happy to sing. It makes me want to dance, makes me want to sing into my hairbrush, it makes me want to turn it up and just have a blast with it. That song the day we wrote it, it was me, Hillary Lindsey, David Garcia, Ashley Gorley. We had this title, and it kinda wasn’t, well it wasn’t originally the title. It was originally part of the song, but then I think Ashley was the one who was like well what if that’s the title of the song and it was like that’s a fun title, I would want to hear that song. But yeah, it’s like saying that you know, your love gets me more buzz than pink champagne. It’s all about just the fun of the song. It’s all sweet and happy, and we got to just kinda be silly and it’s one of my favorite songs.”

WANTED WOMAN

“’Wanted Woman’ is kind of one of the earlier songs that I feel like everybody was feeling really great about it making it onto the album. That day it was me, David Garcia and Josh Miller. I’ve written with Josh before, not a super ton, but I’ve definitely been around him quite a bit. He was one of the writers on ‘Southbound.’ I’ve always just liked the way he said things and he’s just a super nice guy. I feel like we always have fun when we do write together. But that one had just such super awesome retro vibes to it. There’s something about it. We had this twangy, 80s country guitar thing going on, but then it somehow sounded kind of like a fun, disco type song. But it is something different than I feel like I’ve heard in a really long time, but it’s just kind of this fun 80s country disco song.”

POOR EVERYBODY ELSE

“This is one that I wrote with Chris DeStefano and Josh Miller. We’re always thumbing through titles, and Chris is such a great track guy, he always puts together incredible tracks, and he had a little bit going that day and had the guitar part (da da, da, da) and I was like okay I have this title and it’s inspired by my friend, and hair and makeup artist, Melissa Schleicher. Way back in the day when Miranda Lambert and I had the song ‘Somethin' Bad,’ we were on the music video set and there was a lot of blonde, a lot of hair, we’re dressed in kinda leather outfits and kind of crawling around on motorcycles and singing, trying to be hot, and in the video. At one point Melissa looked in the monitor and said, ‘poor everybody else’ and she meant that obviously as a super compliment to us, because it was just a hot video. So, ever since then that’s kinda been a catchphrase that we hear now and again from her, and I wrote it down and was like someday I’m gonna write a song called ‘Poor Everybody Else’ and that was the day I knew it was the time and with that track I suggested that title and they were like what does that mean and I told them and was like well how do we write this without it being a totally narcissistic song, ‘cause I don’t think like that about myself, so I knew I didn’t want to write it like that. We definitely wanted this song to be about this girl that’s like, she is just so awesome that everyone else kinda pales in comparison around her, like she’s the brightest light in the room, she’s just got this energy about her that is like undeniable. It’s not even necessarily like she’s trying too hard. It’s like she just knows and she’s just ready to walk in and blow the doors off the place and you can’t help but look at her. And all the guys want to be with her, all the girls want to be her. We say, ‘Better watch your man, better watch yourself,’ cause when she walks in, poor everybody else.’”

GARDEN

“We actually wrote this song - me, David Garcia, and Josh Miller, we wrote this song the same day we wrote 'Wanted Woman.' So, we wrote ‘Wanted Woman,’ I laid down some vocals and stuff and David was kind of busy doing things with the arrangement and with the music and stuff like that. He was kind of over there tucked away being his mad scientist self at the board and at his computer and fiddling with that. Josh and I were sitting back talking. We had talked about gardening and stuff like that before I became a big gardener in 2020. I had a garden in 2019 but 2020 was really the first time that I got to be in it every day due to the state of the world. It was something that was very therapeutic and very amazing and something that I didn’t know I’d be any good at, didn’t know I’d enjoy, but definitely learned that there’s so many metaphorical life lessons when you’re in the garden and think about it every day. It gives you time and quiet and space to be alone with yourself and your thoughts. It’s also just this beautiful miracle when you put a seed in the ground. Just this little nothing, little piece of nothing, you put in the ground and in a couple weeks it’s something completely different and it’s changed and it’s beautiful and it provides a service and eventually you get to pick your fruit and you get to give it away or you get to keep it for yourself and there’s just so many beautiful metaphors and just really cool things that happen in the garden.

Josh Miller and I had talked a lot about that (gardening) in other writing sessions. He was like I got to thinking about this idea of garden and he had a lot of the chorus ‘if your words were seeds going in the ground.’ It was beautiful everything he was saying so we took that and kind of ran with it. And then David turns around he’s like ‘What’s going on? What are you guys doing? Did you start another song; is this happening now?’ ‘Cause normally, it’s like we write one, we pat ourselves on the back, and then we go home. We wrote ‘Wanted Woman’ so fast that we were gonna get home in time for dinner, but we screwed it up and wrote this song. We finished it and then I put some vocals down to just David playing some guitar. When he sent it to me, I was in the garden, and I got my demo back. I had my headphones in ‘cause I think I had been talking to my mom. I was in my garden, listening to ‘Garden’ and I was just crying. So, it’s definitely one of my favorites. I feel like it’s just beautiful poignant. It’s one of my favorites.”

• Like 2

Not her best on first listen but I still love it! I need an album full of songs like Poor Everybody Else. :bobo: Burn, Hate My Heart, Faster, The Garden and Pink Champagne are great too!

Edited by ~Tom~

The standout for me are "Burn", "Poor Everybody Else", "She Don't Know", "Velvet Heartbreak". 

The overall album is good like always but not my favourite of hers, thus far, as I find there's some hit or miss among the album.