SYTYCD Rankdown 3.0

*Amanda

Bailey Munoz

I changed my mind. I'll spare Kayla this round for a couple reasons: Rei saved Evan and I appreciate that and I know Rei likes Kayla and also, after watching Max's routines to do his write-up, I have a new appreciation for Kayla. I never hated her, I just rank her fourth of the girls in that Top 10. She's the American equivalent of Tara Jean to me, who I also don't hate, I just prefer other people. BUT ANYWAY. Enough about Kayla, let's talk about Bailey.

Bailey was the winner of the show's most recent season. He... was fine? I guess. He was one of the few viable contestants that season, so there's that. In the Top 20 round, he danced a contemporary routine with Season 7 Winner Lauren Froderman to Sam Smith's "Fire on Fire". It was arguably one of the better routines and he deserved to advance. Once in the Top 10, he was partnered with Mariah and they danced a Mandy Moore Jazz routine to "Love Shack" that honestly, I wish never happened. The judges praised it to hell and back, but it wasn't anything special, just Mandy's usual cheesy choreography.

In the second week of the Top 10, he and Mariah danced a Luther Brown hip-hop to "Tempo". Bad wigs and inappropriate lyrics aside, they danced it decently well. At the Top 8, they danced a Dmitry Chaplin Cha-cha that did nothing for me and a Mandy & Elizabeth contemporary to "Slide" which the judges declared their favourite of the night, but I preferred a couple of other routines to that one.

It was clear by that point that they were, as the judges said, the "couple to beat". Now that Sophie and Gino had been paired up together, they were getting some of the judges praised too, but it was muted compared to Bailey and Mariah, who seemed to be the chosen ones. At the Top 6, he danced "Mambo Italiano" with Koine and she stole the show, then he danced an overly sexual Rap Leeper Jazz routine that just made me uncomfortable. In the Top 4, he danced a Broadway with Gino and a Hip-hop with Comfort, both of which I liked, another Jazz with Mariah, which I didn't like, and a Bollywood with Sophie which I hated. It was clear based on the praise he and Mariah got that they were probably going to end up being the Top 2 and that was the case. That being said, I preferred Gino and Ezra to him so I don't feel guilty cutting him here since he already won his season in this rank down, and the season itself should have been purged from this rank down by now anyway.

However, I did like his solos and he did give some stellar performances in some of the group routines so he's a fine winner, even if he wasn't my pick. Anyway, let's move on.

Save: Ashleigh DiLello