SYTYCD Rankdown 3.0

*Amanda

12 minutes ago, sublymonal said:

Alan Bersten

Nowadays, we all know Alan from his fairly successful runs on DWTS, including his most recent win with Bachelorette, Hannah. But during SYTYCD's 10th season, Alan was anything but the winner. In the showcase, he danced a group routine with the other ballroom contestants that season (Paul, Brittany and Jenna) to Little Mix's "Wings", it was one of the better routines of the night, for sure, but mostly because we've been so starved for good ballrooms routines in the recent seasons.

In Week 2, he was paired with contemporary danced Jasmine Mason. The pair danced a Travis Wall Contemporary to Ingrid Michaelson's "I Can't Help Falling In Love". It was pretty, but as with most male ballroom dancers in contemporary routines, I felt like he just stood there while Jasmine danced around him. Clearly the voters felt the same way, or just hate ballroom, because he was in the Bottom 6 that night but she wasn't. He was saved, however, and Curtis was sent home so Mariah could dance with Bluprint. A wise choice.

In Week 3, he and Jasmine danced a Miriam & Leonardo Tango. I found this to be the stronger routine from them. Maybe because Alan's ballroom background meant I wasn't judging his technique the whole time. Even Jasmine held her own but, surprise, she was in the Bottom 6 the next week and was sent home after they danced a recycled Sean Cheesman jazz routine to "Veins" (which was originally danced by Janick and Jeff on the third season of the Canadian version). 

Anyway, from there on, Alan was partnered with Malece after Jade withdrew due to an injury. Their first routine together was a hip-hop to Chr*s Br*wn's "Baseline" and it was tragic in so many different ways. Neither of them were really cut out to dance Dave Scott's choreography. Unsurprisingly, Alan was in the Bottom 6 again while Malece was still skating by as the blonde contemporary girl that was dropped on her head in Vegas. Alan was saved again, however, and the judges chose to send tapper Curtis Holland packing so Hayley and Nico could dance together :wub:

In Alan's final week on the show, Top 12, he and Malece danced a salsa together. I sort of feel sorry for Alan because Malece was truly the one who caused this routine to go downhill so fast. If I was redoing the season, Alan would probably make my Top 10 alongside Fikshun, Paul, Nico and Aaron, but it definitely wouldn't be on the strength of his run on the show. It would be because he's hot and I've enjoyed watching him on Dancing with the Stars #priorities.

Saving: Vers bottom Jess LeProtto

The literal only reason I would cut Nick is to leave Ariana as the last contestant standing who was part of the first elimination their season.

Also, I really really really want to save Jessi, so if someone did that I'd appreciate it. But I dragged Melanie's ass this far along and might as well keep it going, just like the judges on Season 8

Cut Jonathan

Save Melanie

JENSEN ARNOLD

DQLN_BJVAAAl_09.jpg

jfc there's four of them? make it stop. Also I can't tell which one is Jensen, don't @ me

F*ck, finally. Jensen Arnold is legitimately terrible. Dreadful, even. Honestly, there aren't adjectives to describe how absolutely atrocious she was as a contestant in season 15. To paraphrase @Deeee in his write-up for Jessica Richens: "Jensen Arnold single-handedly made me hate Season 15. Jensen Arnold is the second contestant to ever suck the joy out of the entire SYTYCD experience. Melanie Moore is the first. There is just nothing positive to say about her time on the show. At all. Though at least Jensen can be praised for being the only contestant to make the finale based on her sister's success alone."  She somehow was the judges' pet because of her famous, and far better dancer of a, sister and the fact that the show is desperate for a female ballroom champion. Nigel, honey, Jensen ain't it. Her making it to second place makes Mariah and Sophie making it to the finale look like Jeanine Mason winning season five, to be honest. Her winning would've been the final straw in this show that's long jumped the shark, and would've instantly made 1000 change.org petitions calling for the abrupt cancellation of So You Think You Can Dance.

Jensen spent most of her "run" on the fifteenth season partnered with Jay Jay Dixonbey in what was an absolutely dreadful partnership. Watching the two of them dance together made me pine for a Mia Michaels tribute night every week. For the first top ten week, Jay Jay and Jensen danced a samba and a jazz. Their jazz was to Elle King and Elle King, sweetie, I'm so sorry your songs were abused in that manner. Naturally they were both safe because America's voting that season was a choice and a half, which meant they advanced to the next week of routines. For the second Top 10 week, they were given a contemporary and an African Jazz. While Jensen was terrible in the African Jazz, as was to be expected, she also managed to reach the lowest of low standards and suck in a contemporary. Yikes. At least Lindsey could handle contemporary in season 9. Unfortunately, their African Jazz also got praise, winning the best routine of that week in the since-lost IDF thread. I'm not entirely convinced people actually watched the routines that week, all things considered.

Another week of safety followed for both of them, so Jensen made us suffer through two more terrible routines. For Top 8 week, we got a jazz (Jensen's third of the season, because Nigel was under the impression she was actually good at them for some reason) to a Jessie J song (again - Jessie J, sweetie, I'm so sorry) and then probably the single worst of season fifteen - Cookin'. In a week where Magda and Darius were bussed with a hip-hop by Professional Cultural Appropriators Pharside & Phoenix, Jensen and Jay Jay still wound up with the worser hip-hop routine. It also was so terrible that it makes Little Sally Walker look like a good routine. SOMEHOW. Jensen was so notably horrendous in the routine that it made me retroactively want to praise Lindsay's performance in Teeth from season 9. But honestly, when it comes to 18-year-old blonde Mormon ballroom girls doing hip-hop, there is only one routine worth remembering, and it's My Homies Still.

Top 6 week saw All Stars brought in, which meant we could really see how completely out of her element Jensen was in this show. She was partnered with season 14's Kiki Nyemchek for a ballroom routine, as to be expected. The show-opening routine was praised by the judges as Jensen's shining moment. In some aspects, it was. Not because of anything she did, though. She was clunky, dreadful and nearly actively trying to ruin the routine with her dancing. Kiki was just so good in it that he managed to make Jensen not look like a fish out of water like she looked in literally everything else she did. (The ol' Shauna/Cedric method, clearly.) For the second routine, she and Jay Jay were back together for a Tahitian routine. It was another routine that sucked, and I like to think it being as bad as it was managed to keep Jensen from snagging the win over Hannahlei. 

Due to nepotism and the fact that she has enough siblings to rival the Osmond family, we unfortunately had to sit through Jensen in the finale alongside three far superior contestants. Her first routine of the evening was a heels routine with Hannahlei that asked Jensen to pull off a type of confidence and swagger she was completely incapable of portraying. Again, no shock there. Her second routine saw her with Genessy for a Broadway. Even as Genessy stan, this routine was kind of rough, and the blame for that goes solely on Jensen for somehow not being able to handle a Broadway routine. Though considering she's barely able to dance ballroom, I'm not surprised. The show-closing routine of the night saw Jensen partner up with Slavik for a Ballroom routine. Because the judges are the worst, they praised Jensen to the heavens and back after this routine, making her out to be the future of dance and all that nonsense.

We had to wait a week for the finale, where we sat through some questionable reprises from Jensen. Cookin' was reprised. That says it all, really. In the end, despite the judges' best efforts to pretend as if Jensen wasn't a Lazaro Arbos in a cast of Candice Glovers and claim she was the winner the franchise needed, Jensen took second to Hannahlei. As nice as it was to watch Jensen not ruin the title of SYTYCD Winner and the judges pretend they were happy Hannahlei won, it still sucked to watch her singlehandedly rob Genessy, Slavik, Darius, Jay Jay, Magda, Cole, Chelsea, Evan, the ten people that were cut in the last round of Academy Week, and honestly everyone that was cut during Academy Week too.

So in conclusion, Jensen making it to second place just shows how completely out of touch with actual dancing this show has become. I can't think of a single worse contestant to make the finale, which says a lot considering the nonsense season 16 bestowed on us a summer later. I'm sure Jensen will probably be a decent dancer in fifty years, potentially but the Jensen we got on the show was anything but. Let's just hope, for the sake of Dancing With the Stars' last remaining shred of credibility, she doesn't make her way over to the stage and f*ck up everything that's still good with that show.

SAVE: Nico Greetham

Edited by Elliott

4 minutes ago, FrogLenzen said:

Also, I really really really want to save Jessi, so if someone did that I'd appreciate it. But I dragged Melanie's ass this far along and might as well keep it going, just like the judges on Season 8

But why must you?

JONATHAN PLATERO

Jonathan was a contestant on Season 5. His listed style I think was "salsa," but I don't really know if that meant actual salsa or Susie Garcia salsa. He was paired with Karla Garcia and I think they actually danced some type of latin the first week. I vaguely remember one of them jumping through the others' legs or something and it being generally well-received by the judges. Later, he and Karla danced the first Stacey Tookey piece to be on the US show. I liked it a lot, but I thought Mary's judging of it was super weird. She said something like "I've never said this before, but you danced that style better than your own style" which was framed as some sort of nice milestone and compliment, but I thought it was high-key shade and made me embarrassed. The next week they had a hip-hop and were in the bottom, and Jonathan was thrown in the trash. I probably would have kept him over Vitolio just for diversity of styles, but I think I was more upset about Asuka leaving because she never hit her potential on the show. 

Jonathan later went on to be a choreographer on the show, along with his wife Oksana (sometimes he assisted her, sometimes she assisted him I think). Jonathan then was an All-Star, which is funny considering he only made Top 16 (and I think along with Melinda, are the only dancers who went out in the third elimination or earlier to be All-Stars).

Save Melanie, although the sand seems to be running out of her hourglass in this rankdown.

34 minutes ago, FrogLenzen said:

The literal only reason I would cut Nick is to leave Ariana as the last contestant standing who was part of the first elimination their season.

Cut Jonathan

Save Melanie

Yay Melanie :wub:

Nick Young

f44f8ccab37921e520c672e65d8f35c3.jpg

I actually quite like Nick Young and even though I do think he was wrongly robbed on the show and should ave lasted long than he did, I can’t do anything about that now (obviously). I think based on how short his run is, this is more than a generous spot for him to land at. So well done to Nick getting this far. I’m not mad at it but it’s fair.

Nick Young is a tap dancer I actually like from Milwaukee, Wisconsin and he was on Season 8. He danced a broadway/Tap routine to "Funkier Than a Mosquito's Tweeter" with Jess. Then he was partnered with Iveta for two short weeks where they danced a Quickstep to “The Ballroom Blitz” and a Bollywood to “Baaware.” Their Quickstep was really good but their Bollywood was really bad, which landed Nick in the Bottom 3 and got him eliminated. That double elimination was harsh and #yikes…. and I remember being sad and upset for Nick and Iveta because of that. :( He also had a really good Tap routine on the finale with Jess and SYTYCD UK Series 2 winner, Matt Flint, which o course Elliott lost his stuff to. 

I remember Nick being an alternate on the Season 8 tour which is really cool. I think I also remembering having  some music on Youtube which I remember Elliott posting on here. I think he covered “Home” by Phillip Phillips, which justifies my cut so yep. I am happy for Nick doing well in his career post SYTYCD. Posting my favorite dances from him below....

Saving: I actually would have probably saved someone else that Elliott liked but with Elliott continually cutting I REFUSE to save a favorite of his soooo lol at me being a fool doing that. It’s your lucky day, Chehon Wespi-Tschopp.

giphy.gif

Also, I'm interested to see what each season's finale would look like based the on this rankdown. So far, we have:

Season 13: Kida Burns, Ruby Castro, Jordan Nata'e Wandick, Tate McRae

Season 16: Bailey Muñoz, Gino Cosculluela, Mariah Russell, Ezra Sosa