Someone648 Ranks the Season 23 Blind Auditions (#1: The Finale)

Someone648

4 hours ago, Misirlou said:

Wouldn't have her this high, but she's in my Top 10. Really enjoyed what she did there, accompanying herself on the electric. Shame that I wasnt a fan of her battle and KO though, big stepdown for me.

I hate that I’m in the minority that loved her battle despite how chaotic it was lol

And honestly I see why she lost the KO, but I thought it was a better KO than most of the others that made it through that night. I don’t think I’ve disagreed with so many contestants going through in one night of KO’s before until last week :haha:

31 minutes ago, Someone648 said:

And honestly I see why she lost the KO, but I thought it was a better KO than most of the others that made it through that night. I don’t think I’ve disagreed with so many contestants going through in one night of KO’s before until last week :haha:

I loved the intro but I found the upbeat part of her performance really hard to listen to unfortunately :no:

1 hour ago, Someone648 said:

I hate that I’m in the minority that loved her battle despite how chaotic it was lol

Intro was great, upbeat part, not so much.

I'm in the minority that thinks Gina did great. Wasnt the best song choice for her but her tone and phrasing are excellent. I don't think she won because Kate choked, but she could have taken some other people than won their KOs for sure.

Part 11: Unforgettable!

2. Jimmy Fallon

Imagine if I just trolled y'all and put this as my #1 looool. But no, I couldn't have Jimmy overshadow the same contestant twice (oh damn.... I just gave away the #1. Tsk tsk.)

Seriously though, I can't stand Jimmy Fallon, but this was a pretty funny Michael McDonald impression that would've been more enjoyable had a more tolerable comedian come up and performed it instead. Overall this was a waste of air time that should've gone to another contestant who could have definitely used it *coughAlyssaLazarcough* but hey, that's that. Anyways, back to the list...

lol but really imagine if that was legit.

2. Gina Miles (Team Niall)

What a pleasant surprise this was! Gina is definitely one of the sneakiest contestants of the season. She's got such a lovely and warm tone hidden behind that shy demeanor and super distinct speaking voice. It's almost a Wé McDonald situation we have here! All of this together, combined with a great song choice, an interesting backing track, and overall great delivery, makes for one hell of a blind audition. Everything just balanced out beautifully here and it was such a delight to listen to. The little bits that were wobbly show some inexperience and confidence issues, but her growth arc on this show has the potential to be tremendous, but I think she's in good hands with Niall. Yet another contestant that wasn't on my radar at all, but here we are!

Clue: Talk about a busted navigation system... with guidance like that, you'd be taking hits from your left and right.

Refers to the discussion after her blind audition that Kelly Clarkson (did you know that she's navigated a singing competition before?) can't coach nerves. And she admitted it, too! Sounds like it would've been a mismatch for Gina, but glad she went with Niall here.

I know y'all don't need a clue for #1 lol

• Like 1

• Someone648 changed the title to Someone648 Ranks the Season 23 Blind Auditions (#2 Has Been Posted)!

Yeah, your Top 3 is the order in which I would rank them. Gina’s audition was very good, and I think it was second for me in that episode. I do think her battle was her best so far though, and I’m glad her battle partner is your Number 1.

I don’t think S22 reviews would be a bad idea though. I wouldn’t make a S22 ranking myself, since I didn’t watch that season as much and there were too many contestants, but I love retro lists. I know I would personally tackle a different season if I made one, and if I do stick around in the summer, maybe I will review a random older season as well

• Like 1

Just now, Cookie73 said:

Yeah, your Top 3 is the order in which I would rank them. Gina’s audition was very good, and I think it was second for me in that episode. I do think her battle was her best so far though, and I’m glad her battle partner is your Number 1.

I don’t think S22 reviews would be a bad idea though. I wouldn’t make a S22 ranking myself, since I didn’t watch that season as much and there were too many contestants, but I love retro lists. I know I would personally tackle a different season if I made one, and if I do stick around in the summer, maybe I will review a random older season as well

Yeah that's my thinking, too. April was a hell month at work for me so I put this whole list on the backburner and forgot about it a few times, but with things finally freeing up for me I have more time to do stuff and I'm late to all the season 23 battle/KO stuff now at this point. Season 22 might be what I end up doing lol.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Someone648 said:

Yeah that's my thinking, too. April was a hell month at work for me so I put this whole list on the backburner and forgot about it a few times, but with things finally freeing up for me I have more time to do stuff and I'm late to all the season 23 battle/KO stuff now at this point. Season 22 might be what I end up doing lol.

If I made a rankdown for that season, let’s just say that some contestants would be ranked much lower than where they placed on the show

On 4/27/2023 at 1:26 PM, Someone648 said:

Refers to the discussion after her blind audition that Kelly Clarkson (did you know that she's navigated a singing competition before?) can't coach nerves. And she admitted it, too! Sounds like it would've been a mismatch for Gina, but glad she went with Niall here.

🥂

• Haha 1

Part 12: The Finale

1. Kala Banham (Team Niall)

We've reached the top of the list and what can I say? Kala was just lovely. The subtle opening, the slow introduction of the pianos, the ethereal quality of her voice, the way the beat begins to pick up and we hear Kala's voice open up... masterful. A masterfully crafted performance. I adore the original and kind of hold it to a high standard (thanks, Addison). While we didn't know Kala's song choice going into the season, I would've been extremely hesitant to hear someone take this on for a blind audition. Too much of a risk of it being bad (or worse... mediocre.) Kala managed to take the song and put her angelic take on the already dreamy track to make it her own without disrespecting the original. I've replayed this so many times. There was always some back and forth while I was ranking the top 40's blind auditions, and some ended up a bit higher or lower as I gave them more listens, but this has been my consistent #1 for the season the whole time. Well done, Kala. This is likely joining my all-time list. Which, spoiler alert, I'm working on "Someone648's Top 50 Favorite Blinds of All Time/Blake Shelton Era" list as a follow up over the summer lol

Thanks for tuning in! ;)

• Like 1

• Someone648 changed the title to Someone648 Ranks the Season 23 Blind Auditions (#1: The Finale)

Expected Kala to be #1 since the Top 3 reveal. This was an exciting audition, as I didn’t expect it to be this high. She wouldn’t have been my #1 this round, but she did have my #1 battle, which makes up for it. Not to mention, she delivered in all three rounds so far, and she should place fairly high when I do my Season 23 Contestant Rankings (I don’t know the placement)

Also, Jarmon must be excited to see this, since you have the same #1.

Not excited to see her get eliminated tonight