IDF biases.

Misirlou

So, this has been mentioned quite a few times, but I was curious about specifics. 

Everybody has biases, that´s obvious, so I was wondering about what were y"all´s. I mean biased in a positive and negative way regarding types of contestants or characteristics they have.

For example, I can help but be biased in favor of contestants that happen to showcase their instrumental skills on the show, primarily guitar players.

As for biased against...probably some teens, be it either male or female, if they happen to really not be as strong as their competitors, since they have the teen factor for votes, but if they´re good, even if they´re not my taste, I can get behind them for consistency.

Biased towards: idk if there’s a neat category for this honestly, but I will give more leniency with weak/shaky performances if 1) more vocal techniques/runs were attempted 2) if the contestant was trying to branch out somehow (I.e. doing a different genre or a song not commonly covered/never covered before)

Biased against: male country singers (typical IDF response lol)

Also I agree with the teen singers comment, I’m not forgiving of them for being younger, if anything I think I might be a little on the too critical side if it seems other people are being too lenient on their vocal issues/difficulties

• Like 1

The main bias I can recognize (not factoring in Minivan biased I obviously don’t have) is towards rock and alternative singers. I think the reason why I liked singers like Omar and bodie so much was because of the styles of music. Same goes for artists such as Britton Buchanan, Noah Mac, Moriah Formica, Ryan Quinn and Corey Ward. I wouldn’t have liked them as much if I wasn’t a fan of their styles of music 

Ok, now, seriously, i really happen to genuinely like female voices more than male ones. Particulary, i enjoy powerful female voices, i like to listen belts and runs and all of that. But i also like voices that could be described as "angelic" i don't know how to explain it, i'm thinking of Cami Clune's audition.

In terms of genre, i like to root for female pop singers to some degree, also female indie/folk singers and female country singers (Basically, Taylor Swift's genres, in case y'all forgot i'm a Swiftie:P). Not the biggest fan of R&B, i enjoy these singers on the show but i'm a lot less likely to support them after the show.

For male singers, i have a big bias against them only because they have a big advantage over female ones due to mysoginy, and they are also held to a lower standard, which i find it very unfair. But, i liked Joshua and Omar from S21 and S22, so, i couldsay that i enjoy theatrical singers?? Idk, i just happened to consider them talented vocalists, i enjoyed the things they could do with their voices. I also like soulful voices, like Sid's, and some more "rocky" voices, like Corey's 

And i'm biased against male country singers, sorry, but i don't find anything compelling about most of them, and they have an unfair advantage, like, they are usually awarded for doing the bare minimun. That also applies to teenage boys in general (of course in both cases there are exceptions)

Edited by Gustavo527
  • Like 2

A bias of mine I can think of is I probably won’t support a very talented vocalist if I don’t care for their tone. 

Examples: John Holiday, Dana Monique, Kique, Cami Clune

I’m definitely biased towards the Sid Kingsleys and Neil Salsiches of this show, not sure how to describe the category, but you know, that type of contestant. 

Indie/alt contestants will always have a special place in my heart because thats the type of music I most often listen to. A lot of the ones I like end up being early eliminees like Jake Wells, Halley Greg, Raine Stern, and Julia Cooper so its always great when one makes lives (Devix, Payge Turner, Noah Mac, Zan Fiskum) Or even make the finale (bodie, chloe mk)

Edited by FloorWax
  • Like 1

Bias: Powerful singers, particularly female ones (genre can vary, but its consistently with soul/rock/r&b/pop). I also really dig alternative and rock singers that have a strong voice + know who they are as artists. On the flip side, I can also like quieter singers if their tone is special and stands out. I love powerful and resonant belts and well placed growls/cracks as well as raspy/rough tones

Examples: Kyla Jade, Wendy Moten, Kim Cruse, Ali Caldwell, Lauren Duski, Moriah Formica, Alisan Porter, Kimberly Nichole, Amanda Brown, Maelyn Jarmon

Biased against: Male country singers with those nasal vocals and 0.2 octave vocal ranges (sorry lol). It never works with me, especially since they look and sound bored most of the time. Also not much fan of singers that dont show much variety in their performances

Examples: Bryce Leatherwood, Brayden Lape, Red Marlow

Edited by StarWalker1
  • Like 2

In terms of country, females who focus more on tone than power end up being my favorites. Lauren Duski, Savanna Chestnut, Karli Webster(???), and an upcoming contestant this season 👀

I can’t stand male country contestants with thin, nasal tones like Tanner Gomes.

Edited by FloorWax

Another bias I forgot- I like theatrical vocalists (ex: Joshua Vacanti). I did theater for about 10 years and was doing about five musicals a year when I found out about The Voice. I couldn’t watch Live Shows during fall seasons my first few years as a viewer because I always had rehearsal during those times. That’s a reason why I like a lot of the powerful vocalists as well, and why I loved Alisan so much, due to my interest in Broadway type performances

• Like 1

I haven’t been here super long, but if you all couldn’t tell, I actually appreciate a variety of genres of music. However, I am a big sucker for alternative and indie voices. I have started listening to more R&B/soul (old school and new), rock, blues, and country of recent, and I also listen to hip-hop/rap, although those types of artists don’t tend to come on The Voice.

I also greatly appreciate artists who have a very specific identity, and I tend to be biased for singers whose tone I really like. I tend to like tones that are sweet and angelic-sounding as well as rough. 

In terms of males, I tend to greatly prefer males with lower voices or nice falsettos, and I don’t like “bland” pop male voices. I also like males who can belt. With females, it’s more of a mixed bag, but I don’t like “bland” voices either.

I am not sure if I am Team Waffle or Team Sausage. Do any of you all have an idea? I think I’m right in the middle but maybe someone here wouldn’t agree.

Biased towards:

- Indie/Alt pop/rock, folk/americana and alt R&B. 

-  Raspy female voices.

- I prioritize tone over everything else.

Biased against:

- People who mainly cover songs that have been done to death. 

- I hate to admit it but I would be lying if I said I wasn’t biased against most country contestants and teens (I blame the core demo for this)

- Gospel/Christian music (I don’t dislike the music itself, but it’s a cheap way to manufacture a “moment”)

- This one is not that serious, but contestants who wear cowboy/country hats (yes you heard me right) I feel like my two functioning brain cells see the hat as some form of pandering :rofl:

Edited by Daillon
  • Haha 9

Country males with falsettos are instantly on my radar. That's it.

Besides that, I like indie/pop female snowflakes. (ex. Maelyn, Cami...) or folky/country females (ex. Alisan, Addison, Lana, Morgan Myles, Grace W., ...)

Like many others, I pretty much enjoy R&B/Soul powerhouses too, I also like big rock/theatrical voices like Jordan. Joshua and Omar.

Edited by allistr
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Daillon said:

Biased towards:

- Indie/Alt pop/rock, folk/americana and alt R&B. 

-  Raspy female voices.

- I prioritize tone over everything else.

Biased against:

- I hate to admit it but I would be lying if I said I wasn’t biased against most country contestants and teens (I blame the core demo for this)

- Gospel/Christian music (I don’t dislike the music itself, but it’s a cheap way to manufacture a “moment”)

- This one is not that serious, but contestants who wear cowboy/country hats (yes you heard me right) I feel like my two functioning brain cells see the hat as some form of pandering :rofl:

Which contestants would you classify as alternative RnB? I’m a fan of the genre (Janelle Monae, Frank Ocean, SZA) but I’m not sure which Voice contestants fit that classification. LiBianca?

Edited by FloorWax

1 hour ago, Daillon said:

That´s a good point, and I´d be inclined to agree, except for the fact that I did really enjoy Paris Winningham´s run, despite him fitting that critieria with 1 or 2 exceptions.

13 minutes ago, Daillon said:

People who mainly cover songs that have been done to death. 

Also this is a very good point but I think its the inverse for me. I’m biased towards contestants who sing fresh songs.

Also, I can tolerate hip-hop/rap as long as they can sing really well (unlike the Super Bass girl :giggle:)

Most of the rappers I see in TVUK usually have mediocre singing skills.

Edited by allistr
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

Which contestants would you classify as alternative RnB? I’m a fan of the genre (Janelle Monae, Frank Ocean, SZA) but I’m not sure which Voice contestants fit that classification. LiBianca?

I was thinking of LiBianca, yes.

It’s more of a “hypothetical bias”, because we haven’t had many contestants who would fit that lane (I can probably count them all with one hand)

10 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

That´s a good point, and I´d be inclined to agree, except for the fact that I did really enjoy Paris Winningham´s run, despite him fitting that critieria with 1 or 2 exceptions.

Every bias I posted has its exceptions (for me that would be Hannah H, Chris Jamison, Wendy…) 

11 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

Also this is a very good point but I think its the inverse for me. I’m biased towards contestants who sing fresh songs.

That too.

2 minutes ago, Gustavo527 said:

If their whole identity as an artist is being "the new Elvis"...bye, next, not interested, find an identity pls, sorry. 

Also, i don't care for crooners, at all, in the slightlest. 

ALL OF THIS. LOL.

4 minutes ago, Gustavo527 said:

If their whole identity as an artist is being "the new Elvis"...bye, next, not interested, find an identity pls, sorry. 

Also, i don't care for crooners, at all, in the slightlest. 

You don't care for Jaffy do you :haha: /joking

Also, I really agree with your statement.

Edited by allistr
  • Haha 1

Here’s mine

biased towards

Alternative/Indie singers

Rock singers

people who use electric guitars

people who have no confidence in themselves (it makes me get emotionally attached to them) 

biased agents 

young singers who’s age is mentioned every second 

Tennessee Whisky

country guys who don’t have a raspy voice  

Obvious front runners (there are exceptions like Katie Kaden and Bodie)

Edited by Discovolcano
  • Like 1

Bias against: Anyone who's younger than 16. Anyone whose entire songlist is filled with overdone songs. Anyone who doesn't have the vocal ability to control some of the biggest songs yet still tries it and somehow people don't notice.

Bias for: Anytime there's a song that's never been covered before.

Just now, Discovolcano said:

people who have no confidence in themselves (it makes me get emotionally attached to them) 

This. 

I find them usually interesting though, and I love most of their runs in the show.

I am biased to female contestants because...

1) My favorite artists are mostly women.

2) I am more fascinated by the typical female's vocal range than the typical male's vocal range.

That being said, I do have male favorites too. They are mostly the singer-songwriter types though.

One group I'm biased against, that I feel like many others aren't, are R&B males. The Justin Aaron's, Victor Solomon's, etc. A lot of them tend to sound the same, have dated song choices, and lack artistry (imo).

I'm also not a fan of powerhouse singers that sing generic, dated "powerhouse" songs. We don't want to hear the overdone Aretha and Whitney hits anymore, try putting a soulful spin on some modern songs!

Edited by m1key