American Idol Rankdown 3.0 (Rebooted)

sublymonal

Walker Burroughs

American-idol-2019-Top-14-Walker-Burroug

Walker Burroughs was on season 17 of  American Idol and he finished in the top 8. Walker is not the type of contestant that I enjoy he's basically the opposite of what I like so that made him an easy cut decision to make. In the top 8 he sang Crazy Little Thing Called Love and Mrs Robinson but it wasn't enough and it landed him in the bottom 2 with Alyssa Raghu. The Judges chose not to save him and he was eliminated from the competition. He was just too awkward for live TV and he wasn't super impressive vocally so this is no big loss really. 

mike-parker-american-idol-abc-embed.jpg

Mike Parker

I almost rescinded my cut when I saw that Mike Parker was 27 during his time on the show. Because I do have an innate fondness for all contestants on this show over the age of like 22 and for the practically elderly when they make it and are over 25. Imagine! Having a sense of self and your artistry and coming to American Idol practically a fully fledged artist. In this day and age where it seems like everybody who is going to win has to be like 21 and under, an older artist is appreciated. Unfortunately he's also a male country singer so I cannot really get behind him. If you are a male country singer, I only love you if your career started before the year 1995. Sorry.

Okay, I was going to go on about Mike Parker. About where he was today. But I went to his IG and he's followed by notorious WNBA shit talker Marina Mabrey. So now I've gotta know. Does Marina Mabrey watch American Idol? Did Mike Parker like perform the National Anthem at a Chicago Sky or Dallas Wings game. This will haunt me for like 2 hours.

Saving: Ada Vox

CJ HARRIS

Season 13 - 6th Place

cj-harris-american-idol-dead-011623-1-3e4d1ce33a7249c49b6a696e8971b58a.jpg

FAVOURITE PERFORMANCE: Can’t You See

CJ Harris was one of the three country males in Season 13. He made it the furthest, making it all the way to sixth place before placing last in America’s votes. As someone from Season 13, it goes without saying that CJ’s run was pretty meh. I liked him as a contestant early on but by the time he was eliminated, I was ready for it. He started off pretty strong, but the theme weeks (even with them not being all that restrictive by the time S13 rolled around) pretty much did him in. I haven’t really kept up with him post-Idol, so I’m just now looking him up at MJ’s Big Blog and being reminded that he passed from a heart attack at the beginning of 2023. May he rest in peace.

SAVE: Chris Richardson

RCollins.webp.3d13a10cb7fef47b9cf78ecace87ce60.webp

ROMAN COLLINS

He was on the most recent season as a Gospel Singer. He managed to sing songs such as "How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)" "Never Would Have Made It" "It's A Man's World" and got the judges wildcard, "You're All I Need to Get By" "Roar". He was a pretty good singer but he usually tend to overdo the runs which made him get pretty preachy with the gospel runs. He didn't make a fan out of me but this is where the end of the road for him is.

I barely remember S17 but I feel like I remember Walker being too cringe for me. He just screamed theatre kid and felt like an annoying character from Glee the whole time.

Stefano Langone

Stefano Langone | meredith newsome photography | Flickr

Stefano was on my beloved Season 10. He didn't quite make the finals outright and had to go on to the Wildcard Round for one of the last 3 slots after 10 others made it through. In one of my personal most ridiculous moments on the show, Stefano somehow advanced while Kendra was left behind. Honestly I don't remember Stefano's wildcard performance being bad but anyone advancing over Kendra made no sense. Maybe they were afraid of having 3 women make it through wildcards and no men? I don't know. Later in the season at Top 9, Stefano was in the bottom 3 with Pia and Jacob. And then Jacob advanced. And then Pia was eliminated lmao. Contrary to how I felt when Kendra was abandoned, Pia getting the shock boot was lowkey kind of hilarious to me. I can't explain it. Obviously I wasn't a huge Pia fan but I should have been rooting for her to stay over the likes of Stefano. But that was how the cookie crumbled. Stefano, the Woman Robber. He managed to survive to the Top 7 after that. 

Save Jacob Lusk

• Confused 1

I liked Stefano at first but I would have been fine had he not advanced in retrospect since he sucked in the finals. Lauren Turner was robbed of a wildcard spot.

Kendra, however, rightfully did not make the top 13. Her GOMM was overrated and screechy. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FrogLenzen said:

I would have accepted a Walker win over most others

10 hours ago, sublymonal said:

I barely remember S17 but I feel like I remember Walker being too cringe for me. He just screamed theatre kid and felt like an annoying character from Glee the whole time.

Oh Walker was definitely a theater kid, but like... did you see the other contestants that season? :rofl:Also, pairing him with Alejandro for the top 8 duets and forcing Walker to whisper-sing was the most blatant producer hatchet job since the Sugar Pie Honey Bunch fiasco we recently discussed.

And lol Kendra Chantelle... I'll bite my tongue for now, since FrogLenzen was kind enough to cut Stefano and save Jacob.

5 minutes ago, sublymonal said:

@jarmon:

Josh Gracin

Sam Woolf

And waiting on @jarmon to do their Nikko Smith write up as well

Tomorrow! I wrote an 8 hour exam today so yeah just been a busy week preparing for it. Will get all write ups for this Rankdown and the reality star one done tomorrow!

NIKKO SMITH

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6xyRLBKoeuC2_AitDg-Q

Nikko Smith competed on Season 4 of American Idol where he placed 9th. Originally he was cut in the Top 16 Round, however, he ended up replacing Mario Vazquez after he withdrew from the competition. Damn, a lot of my cuts end up being these replacements, lol. Anyways, he did good with his second chance and made all the way to 9th. During his time on the show, he sang "Part-Time Lover", "Let's Get It On", "Georgia on My Mind", "I Want You Back", "Incomplete", "Can We Talk" and "One Hand, One Heart"

• Thanks 1

JOSH GRACIN

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSkPnetv11FxoPg0lePeYR

Josh Gracin competed on the second season of American Idol where he made it all the way to the Top 4 and placed 4th. That's pretty good actually. I am mainly just cutting Josh to save Sam. I see Josh is kinda a zaddy now. He's looking hella fine but he's straight sobs. Anyways, it appears he's a country singer and I am very hit or miss with male country singers. During his time on the show he sang "I'll Be", "Baby I Need Your Loving", "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing", "Ain't Goin' Down ('Til the Sun Comes Up)", "Celebration", "Amazed", "Piano Man", "That's When I'll Stop Loving You", "Bad Blood", "Then You Can Tell Me Goodbye", "To Love Somebody" & "Jive Talkin'". 

SAVE: Sam Woolf.

• Thanks 1

Josh had some great performances and was one of the highlights for me during season two. I don’t think they would’ve done the iconic military dedication if it hadn’t been for him. That’s my fantasy anyway.

12 hours ago, Zoey said:

Josh had some great performances and was one of the highlights for me during season two. I don’t think they would’ve done the iconic military dedication if it hadn’t been for him. That’s my fantasy anyway.

Some of his performances were alright, and he was definitely at the right place at the right time, being a marine on national television in a post-911 world. He's better than some of the country singers they let through the door these days, but imo he never should've lasted over people like Trenyce/Rickey/maybe Kim Caldwell. He also had a really stank attitude whenever the judges criticized him iirc. Didn't he nope out of the AI15 finale when he found out he couldn't sing his original music? :haha: