So You Think You Can Dance Season 17

1 hour ago, kritaaay said:

I did think we all agreed on Courtney (and Lex, though I have no opinion on Lex yet) but alas, @FrogLenzen

Derek keeping his Courtney hatred a secret during the Rankdown 3.0 and then cutting her in the final cuts round was truly an iconic moment that blew up the thread, because we all thought that no one would hate Courtney. :dead: 

Edited by *Amanda
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, *Amanda said:

Derek keeping his Courtney hatred a secret during the Rankdown 3.0 and then cutting her in the final cuts round was truly an iconic moment that blew up the thread, because we all thought that no one would hate Courtney. :dead: 

4 hours ago, kritaaay said:

A legend and icon and a player of the game. I'd have been so worried about being Hated. 

37 minutes ago, FrogLenzen said:

Maybe my best moment on this site :wub: 

Jay Z Reaction GIF by Complex

Whoa, I didn't realize they were taping the episodes THAT far in advance. :shock: I thought the episodes/filming were done within the same week - like them filming the episodes the Monday or a few days before the aired show. 😮 

2 hours ago, *Wallace said:

Lex again?

Unimpressed Viola Davis GIF

I must be one of the few here that actually tolerated Lex.  Sure, I would rather have wanted Koine to win but I wasn't too upset with Lex winning, since at least Koine outlasted everyone else.  I was prepared for a similar situation with Hannahlei and Jensen the next year, but I was delighted when Hannahlei won instead.

14 minutes ago, CarmenSandiego said:

I must be one of the few here that actually tolerated Lex.  Sure, I would rather have wanted Koine to win but I wasn't too upset with Lex winning, since at least Koine outlasted everyone else.  I was prepared for a similar situation with Hannahlei and Jensen the next year, but I was delighted when Hannahlei won instead.

Oooh I understand that. :haha: 

I don't dislike or hate him at all, but I was just very meh on him and didn't really connect to his journey. He's a good dancer with good routines and earned his win though. I would have preferred Koine to win too but was glad she made it to 2nd because it didn't seem like she would have made it that far at the start of her journey.

YES at Queen Koine being an all-star. :wub: 

Why do we need 2 season 16 dancers though? LOL. Glad one of them is Ezra at least as he was my favorite that season, although I’m keep my expectations low about how that ballroom dance will go. :haha: 

On 7/2/2022 at 4:44 PM, *Wallace said:

Whoa, I didn't realize they were taping the episodes THAT far in advance. :shock: I thought the episodes/filming were done within the same week - like them filming the episodes the Monday or a few days before the aired show. 😮 

Me neither! 😮 They must be on a really tight budget this season

22 hours ago, RTV said:

Kristyn says the pre-taped finale is August 10.

Ezra and Amy. :wub:

I wonder if they will dance two duets each during Top 8 week?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, *Wallace said:

I don't dislike or hate him at all, but I was just very meh on him and didn't really connect to his journey. He's a good dancer with good routines and earned his win though. I would have preferred Koine to win too but was glad she made it to 2nd because it didn't seem like she would have made it that far at the start of her journey.

Well, a lot of people on here seemed to dislike Lex, although that could just be because they were rooting for underdogs and Lex certainly wasn't an underdog.  And the main reason why I didn't mind Lex winning was because I also thought that he deserved his win.

IDF does like a good underdog, but disliking Lex was about more than just rooting for the underdog. A lot of users dislike Lex for a number of reasons. He was the obvious chosen one and the producers’ obvious push for the ~real life couple~ of him & Taylor to be the Top 2 became exhausting as the season went on. The OTT praise heaped upon routines that were just okay. He was great at Contemporary, I’ll give him that, but give him anything outside his genre and he struggles - he just lacks versatility.

He’s another in a long line of chosen ones who end up not being very versatile or living up to all the hype.

• Like 1

Lex was 11/10 at contemporary, 9/10 at jazz/broadway, 8.5/10 at hip-hop, and 8/10 at tap. I think that is arguably pretty versatile. Plus he was a phenomenal soloist. His AT, Samba, and Disco were not at the same level but there are plenty of IDF darlings that have had many more clunker routines in a season than that. And since he's back as an all star we can assume that he will be dancing contemporary, so I'm sure there are no complaints there

Honestly, contemporary male dancers apparently need to be EXTREMELY DREAMY for IDF to even give them a chance oop

• Like 2

I hope Du-Shaunt "Fik-Shun" Stegall (born 09/02/94) returns as an All-Star. He has such a fun personality and is one of my favorite SYTYCD hip-hop contestants. While it doesn't seem possible that nine years have passed, Fik-Shun is the male winner and Amy Yakima is the female winner of season 10 in 2013. Amy will be featured on the July 20 Starry, Starry Night episode.

Fik-Shun also competed on the first season of NBC's World of Dance. He was eliminated on 07/25/17 during The Cut round.

https://thisiswod.com/meet-fik-shun-from-nbc-world-of-dance

Fik-Shun was nominated for Best in Dance — 11th Shorty Awards held on 05/05/19.

https://shortyawards.com/11th/dance10fikshunn

https://www.stepsnyc.com/faculty/bio/Fik-Shun

• Like 1

On 7/3/2022 at 12:33 PM, FrogLenzen said:

Lex was 11/10 at contemporary, 9/10 at jazz/broadway, 8.5/10 at hip-hop, and 8/10 at tap. I think that is arguably pretty versatile. Plus he was a phenomenal soloist. His AT, Samba, and Disco were not at the same level but there are plenty of IDF darlings that have had many more clunker routines in a season than that. And since he's back as an all star we can assume that he will be dancing contemporary, so I'm sure there are no complaints there

Honestly, contemporary male dancers apparently need to be EXTREMELY DREAMY for IDF to even give them a chance oop

Yeah, I think that I might give him a pass on Samba because that's difficult -- I did a line Samba dance for Live To Dance With the Arc Stars, and the other girl doing it with me really struggled.  And Disco is hard for a lot of people.

Also, I think that Taylor was the one who wasn't versatile.  Lex was reasonably versatile, though not as much as Koine, but Taylor wasn't versatile.  I was really hoping that she would lose to Koine and when she came in third, I was relieved.  But I can see why people here would be annoyed at Lex for being the chosen one.

• Like 1

So, now we’re just giving people a pass for doing horrible? :dead: Sure, Samba and Disco are difficult but you shouldn’t get a pass just for attempting them. We’ve never given anyone who danced a bad Quickstep on this show a pass.

His tap dancer all-star never danced Ballroom during her season yet she did the Samba AND AT when partnered with Lex just fine. 

And I’ll admit when my faves have clunkers. Of course I Stan, but I can recognize when a routine is bad. :haha: 

• Like 1