Songs of the 2000s Mini Rankdowns (2023 Round)

Steven_

4. CALL ME MAYBE – CARLY RAE JEPSEN

283abd59015ade77f957552c4af32f76.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

STEVEN: 3

AKSHAR: 4

DEREK: 5

CHRIS: 6

COREY: 6

WALLACE: 6

LILY: 7

TOM: 7

GIGI: 11

REI: 14

RICHARD: 14

ALEX: 15

ERIK: 16

STEVEN

I'm glad "Call Me Maybe" managed to make it to the Top 20 this time around. This was a really big hit song; we all remember how popular it was after it was released. But I was never annoyed by its popularity. "Call Me Maybe" is ear candy. It's a cute and catchy pop song, and Carly Rae Jepsen's sweet sounding voice suits this song perfectly. Even all these years later, "Call Me Maybe" remains very enjoyable to listen to.

DEREK

Stay tuned for the Carly Rae Jepsen results, coming to a forum near you

COREY

Full of energy, high in spirit, and just awesome. This is one of those songs that was popular once in Canada, and then resurged when it made the U.S. charts. It was overplayed for two years, but I didn't mind.

WALLACE

call-me-maybe.gif

LOL Remember that time when I thought "Call Me Maybe" was not only a shoo-in to make the Final 20 for the 2012 round but also to win the 2012 round... but then that didn't happen? :dead: Oh dear, I remember that. But it's great seeing "Call Me Maybe" by Carly Rae Jepsen making it through to the Top 20 here. This was one of the biggest hits of 2012, and probably the most memorable hit song of that year to some people? I was a fan of Carly Rae's back on her Canadian Idol days and it was so unexpected but fun seeing her land a big breakthrough hit with this song here. This is such a cute, fun, feel good and catchy song so it's understandable why this song became so huge and was everywhere. I do  really enjoy how Carly Rae sings the verses but I do love the pre-chorus even more where she sings: 

Your stare was holdin'
Ripped jeans, skin was showin'
Hot night, wind was blowin'
Where you think you're going, baby?

But then the chorus is such pop goodness and catchiness where Carly Rae sings:

Hey, I just met you
And this is crazy
But here's my number
So call me, maybe?
It's hard to look right
At you baby
But here's my number
So call me, maybe?

So fun, cute and catchy. :bobo: From the second verse, I love the parts where she sings:

But still, you're in my way
I beg, and borrow and steal
At first sight and it's real
I didn't know I would feel it
But it's in my way

I do really love the bridge and that's one of my top favorite parts of the song where Carly sings:

Before you came into my life
I missed you so bad
I missed you so bad
I missed you so, so bad
Before you came into my life
I missed you so bad
And you should know that
I missed you so, so bad 

It's hard to look right
At you baby
But here's my number
So call me, maybe?

:bobo:

"Call Me Maybe" is just such a fun, feel good song. Ooh and the music video is really fun and hilarious to watch as well. :haha: I feel pretty sure that this song will rank well here - though I am thinking so many songs will rank well so I know that's not really possible. :dead: But I do feel this stands a good chance of making the Top 8. I'm not as confident that this can win with such a stacked group of songs and artists here but I think it could still be a contender to win, possibly.

RICHARD

One of the most famous and infectious guilty pleasure songs. I’m glad it’s here in this final group, even if it’s far from the best song Carly’s released. Definitely excited for her to get even more redemption next round.

ALEX

I know I’m a bad gay but Carly Rae Jepsen does nothing for me

ERIK

This is a good and iconic song, but it's not something I would casually listen to on a regular day. That being said, I know every single word lol

3. DIAMONDS – RIHANNA

d31652f8a9f5ae2afc54525cff56b883.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

CHRIS: 1

ERIK: 2

GIGI: 4

REI: 4

TOM: 6

AKSHAR: 7

RICHARD: 8

ALEX: 11

STEVEN: 11

LILY: 10

COREY: 14

DEREK: 16

WALLACE: 17

RICHARD

Rihanna had a spell of songs for a few years that I wasn’t a huge fan of, but this one bucked that trend for me. I love the overall seductive yet poppy feel to the track, and Rihanna’s vocals are on point.

ALEX

La’Porsha outsold.

STEVEN

"Diamonds" is a solid song from Rihanna. This is my favorite of the three Rihanna songs here. It's got a good tempo to it, and I like the uplifting feel of the song. I like how Rihanna sounds on those high notes too. 

COREY

Not great, but it plods along and is a good overall experience.

WALLACE

giphy.gif

I don't know if I was expecting 3 Rihanna songs to make it to the Final 20 but I don't mind it. Although of the three songs, I could have gone without "Diamonds" being here, tbh. I kinda have similar thoughts/feelings on "Diamonds" as I do "We Found Love" - where they were both pretty huge monumental songs in Rihanna's career, but I never really loved them as much as I should or for as big as they were. I still really like the song but I was never obsessed or in love with this as many of her other songs. But yeah it's still very good. The opening lines of  Shine bright like a diamond. Shine bright like a diamond are very memorable and standout for sure.

Rihanna does provide some really strong vocals on the verses

Find light in the beautiful sea
I choose to be happy
You and I, you and I
We're like diamonds in the sky

Then I also really enjoy the pre-chorus where she sings:

I knew that we'd become one right away
Oh, right away
At first sight I felt the energy of sun rays
I saw the life inside your eyes

Then the chorus has such a strong and powerful feel to it where Rihanna really belts it out singing:

So shine bright tonight, you and I
We're beautiful like diamonds in the sky
Eye to eye, so alive
We're beautiful like diamonds in the sky 

Shine bright like a diamond
We're beautiful like diamonds in the sky

From the second verse, the part that stands out most to me is where she sings:

You're a shooting star I see
A vision of ecstasy
When you hold me, I'm alive
We're like diamonds in the sky

I know she sings that earlier in the song but it just stands out even more the second time she sings it. I do like how Rihanna showcases some softer pretty vocals in one of her shine bright like a diamond parts.

Hmm and I feel re-listening to this made me appreciate this a little more. I feel this often happens whenever I re-listen to this. But it wasn't enough to bring it any higher than this. I could see this possibly being Rihanna's highest ranked song of the three but I'm hoping that's not the case, lol.

2. FIREWORK – KATY PERRY

8c2ba5d293ff0510806c2ea9dde145d8.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

CHRIS: 2

ERIK: 4

TOM: 4

WALLACE: 4

AKSHAR: 5

COREY: 5

GIGI: 5

STEVEN: 5

REI: 7

ALEX: 14

DEREK: 15

RICHARD: 16

LILY: 18

WALLACE

tumblr_lk2u8h8ClV1qeu2t7o1_500.gif

I really struggled on how to rank my #4 and #5 songs here. I didn't really know how to decide but I guess I gave this song the advantage as it's been around longer? I really don't know how to decide. :dead: But I do really love "Firework" by Katy Perry and think this is such a great and classic song from her. Although I also want to shout out "Dark Horse" as that was a song I really love and wish I could have helped this round but didn't have space for it. 😢 I'm sure many people may think of this song as cheesy but I never really thought that nor mind that about this song. I think "Firework" has a great inspiring and uplifting feel to it. I do love how Katy sings the song... and the prespective she sings the song in as well. With how she sings those Do you ever feel lines.

I do love Katy builds the song up on the pre-chorus where she sings:

You just gotta ignite the light and let it shine
Just own the night like the 4th of July

Then she builds the song up even more and really lets it soar (and roar :giggle), where she belts out the chorus singing:

'Cause, baby, you're a firework
Come on, show 'em what you're worth
Make 'em go, "Ah, ah, ah"
As you shoot across the sky
Baby, you're a firework
Come on, let your colors burst
Make 'em go, "Ah, ah, ah"
You're gonna leave 'em all in awe, awe, awe

It's all just so.... makes you feel.... inspired. 😢 Anyway, from the second verse, I love the parts where she sings:

You don't have to feel like a wasted space
You're original, cannot be replaced 

Maybe a reason why all the doors are closed
So you could open one that leads you to the perfect road
Like a lightning bolt your heart will glow
And when it's time you'll know

Then I also love the bridge, which is one of my veryy favorite standout parts of the song where Katy sings:

Boom, boom, boom
Even brighter than the moon, moon, moon
It's always been inside of you, you, you
And now it's time to let it through, -ough, -ough

I love how Katy sings the rest of the song and especially with how she ends it with  those parts that go:

Boom, boom, boom
Even brighter than the moon, moon, moon

:bobo:

I'm not really sure how well "Firework" will do on here but I am curious to see. I think this song has potential to do well but I feel like it will be really polarizing and I can see this getting a lot of low rankings. I wouldn't be shocked if this shows up on the 2nd set but I could see it showing up on the 3rd set. I'm hoping this does better than I expect it to.

COREY

A very upbeat song from Katy Perry.

STEVEN

I like "Firework." It's very catchy and anthemic, and I think Katy sells the song well. I get why some may think the lyrics are a bit trite, but Katy's earnest delivery makes it all work. Also, Happy 4th of July in advance. 🇺🇸 🎆 

ALEX

My Katy Perry song ranking

1. ET

2. I Kissed a Girl

3. Nothing else

RICHARD

This song definitely layers on the cheese. I appreciate the anthemic quality behind it, but the lyrics leave a bit to be desired, lol.

1. LOVE ON THE BRAIN – RIHANNA

09471bea2602ae1d0b4552aaedbab2d6.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

LILY: 1

ERIK: 1

ALEX: 4

RICHARD: 4

WALLACE: 5

GIGI: 6

REI: 6

ALEX: 8

CHRIS: 8

TOM: 11

DEREK: 12

COREY: 13

STEVEN: 13

ERIK

This is Rihanna's best song!!

ALEX

I feel like I need a cold shower after listening to this and Partition.

RICHARD

I didn’t remember being too huge on this one when it came out, but I really enjoyed it just now. There’s a certain scratchiness to Rihanna’s voice on the track that really works with the overall seductive atmosphere the song brings. She just seems freer here, too. More at ease and natural.

WALLACE

A9bv.gif

I really struggled on how to rank my #4 and #5 songs here. I didn't really know how to decide but sadly this lost out there but at least it's still in my Top 5. I do love the old school soulful R&B vibe of this song. It has that classic 60s R&B sound, which is so different and unexpected from Rihanna but she makes it works. She sings in a higher register in the verses and sounds beautiful there.  I especially love the parts where she sings:

Baby, you got me like "Oh" 

Baby you got me like i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-hiii, woo i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-hiii
Don't you stop loving me (loving me)
Don't quit loving me (loving me)
Just start loving me (loving me)
Ow

The pre-chorus is another great part and I love how she changes her voice up there and sings:

And babe I'm fist-fighting with fire
Just to get close to you
Can we burn something babe
And I run for miles just to get a taste

I do love how much soul and passion that she puts and pours into the chorus. It's all so good and powerful where she sings: 

Must be love on the brain
That's got me feeling this way
It beats me black and blue but it f me so good
And I can't get enough
Must be love on the brain yeah
And it keeps cursing my name
No matter what I do
I'm no good without you
And I can't get enough
Must be love on the..... brain

I love all of the vocal power and range Rihanna showcases there. All so good. ❤️ From the second verse, I really love the parts where she sings:

I'm tired of being played like a violin
What do I gotta do to get in your motherfing heart?
Baby like i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-hiii, woo i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-hiii

I love how Rihanna sings the rest of the song, with so much soul, power and passionate. This is simply yet another strong and fantastic song that I really love from Rihanna. As I said, I am really interested in seeing how these 3 Rihanna songs rank against each other as I think the results can go anyway with these songs. I do think this has potential of doing the best, or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my end. But I hope this can be her highest ranking song.

COREY

More soulful than most of Rihanna's music, this one has a low-key beat as well, but it's not enough to make my top ten.

STEVEN

I do think this is a good song, but it's just not a song I ever sought out to listen to. Rihanna sounds great, and the throwback feel of the song works well. It's a solid winner, although there are a lot of songs I'd rather have seen win instead.

8. I think this is probably a fair/reasonable spot for "thank u, next" to come in. I could see it making it to the Top 10/8 or so but not much higher. This is another song I figured the rankings woould be all over the place on. Oh and so many #10 rankings here.

7. Hmmm I think I would have expected "Water Under the Bridge" to do a little better but also not mad at the ranking for it. Oooh and really cool learning this is probably Steven's favorite song of Adele's. 😮 Don't think I knew this? lol I had a feeling Corey would kinda appreciate this for being more on the uptempo side for Adele. :giggle:

6. Oooh love seeing three #1s for "Parition." Though lmaooo at how odd this got so many #1s but none from Lily or myself. I feel awkward, lmaoo. But lovee all of the love for this song. :wub: Love Alex's love for this one (though it's not quite a Top 3 Bey song for me but I still love it). But happy to see this rank highly as I did want it to rank well. I'm also not surprised to see such polarizing ranks - interesting how it's so many Top 4 ranks and then so many #14 to #16 ranks in there.

5. Omgg wow I am really shocked that Rihanna managed to get 3 songs in the Top 5, but of course I got no complaints and I ain't mad about it. I did have a feeling "Only Girl (In the World)" would be her lowest ranked song and I was right there so yay. But I thought this would have much lower - like #11 to #9 or 8 or so? Didn't imagine it would do this well but pleased for it. OMGG Corey's comments... I don't know how to take them lmao. :lmao:

Remaining spots left: 4, 5, 6, 17. 

Ughh if my #17 ends up winning which I really hope isn't the case, lmaoo. :dead:

Oops I've fallen behind but catching up. Should be just 3 #1s left of this Final 4. :haha: 

#1's revealed (7): Corey, Wallace, Steven, Gigi, Tom, Richard, Akshar, Alex, Derek, Rei
#1's remaining (6): Chris, Erik, Lily

#20's revealed (13): Erik, Richard, Wallace, Chris, Tom, Gigi, Steven, Corey, Lily, Rei, Akshar, Alex, Derek
#20's remaining (0): N/A

2 hours ago, FrogLenzen said:

Firework and Diamonds in the Top 4...

Britney Spears GIF

lmao I feel this same way about one of those. 🙈 Meanwhile the other one is my highest ranked (by a slim margin) lol. 

2 hours ago, Qorey said:

I can't believe this is the Rihanna song that didn't make the Top 4. What is wrong with you all? 🤨

I had a strong feeling this would be the one to miss out / her lowest rank song. A bit sad about that but happy I predicted right lol.

4. I'm not surprised seeing "Call Me Maybe" ranking and making it all the way to 4th. I knew it would do well and be a strong contender. I was less confident of its chances of winning this time around. Wow so many #6s - and lmaoo cracking up seeing Chris/Corey/myself all agreeing here. :haha: Agreed with Steven's comments... and lol love Erik's comment. :haha: 

3. Oh lmao, finally "Diamonds" shows up. I do really like this but dangg didn't think of or imagine this song would have made it this high. I thought it would have made it somewhere in the Top 8 or so? I get the love for it but it's never was a Rihanna song I truly/outright loved so I'm just glad it didn't win, lol. 🙈

2. Oooh with the Top 2, I had a feeling "Firework" would not win but I also didn't expect this to make it to 2nd at all. :shock: Lmao I thought this song would have been much more polarizing and less loved than this. :dead: But I'm glad to be proven wrong and see so many Top 5 rankings for this (8 to be exact). :wub: Agreed with Steven's comments here... and omg lmaoo Alex's comments. :lmao: 

1. Oooh I do love "Love on the Brain" and not mad at seeing this pulling off the win. I struggled and was conflicted on how to rank this and "Firework" but figured Firework would have needed more of my help. But very pleased for them both being the Top 2 and this winning. :yes: This was my favorite Rihanna song of the 3 here so that's good this won. lmaoo Alex continues cracking me up with his comments.  :haha: Agree with Richard's comment too. And wow it's really cool and impressive how Rihanna managed to win two of these Wildcard rounds (both Second chances round). And I think I ranked both of these songs at #5 too. :lmao:

WILDCARD ROUND (2010s)

ab67616d0000b27388eb78a45c2ea654bf5fb401

View this post for the links for the lists of Billboard Year-End Hot 100 songs from 2010 - 2019.

Let's begin the wildcard round. 

First, each ranker must pick four songs released from 2010 - 2019 to include in this round. You can pick any 2010s singles EXCEPT songs included in the Billboard Year-End Hot 100 from the years 2010 - 2019. You're choosing songs that were not eligible in any of the previous rounds. When you post your songs, please include the year so I can verify your choices. 

You only get four picks, and your four picks are locked once you post them.

Double check to make sure the songs you picked didn't already make it to the Billboard Year-End Hot 100. Remember some songs were eligible for two years, so keep that in mind when making your choices. Please do your research and make sure the songs you pick are ones eligible for this round. 

I will try my best updating the front page as fast as I can to record all the songs that have been chosen so far.

You all have 48 hours from now to make your four picks. 

If you have any questions, then let me know.

@jarmon @Alex95 @*Chris @Qorey @FrogLenzen @erik g @taylorkat @*Lily @.Rei @rdhaley96 @~Tom~ @*Wallace

• Steven_ changed the title to Songs of the 2000s Mini Rankdowns (Wildcard Round - 2010s)