Duos/Trios/Groups, why?

kormath

I've been watching The Voice since season 3 or 4 or so, and have never understood why this show is allowing groups to participate.  no other singing contest show allows groups (or is my aging memory getting more holes in it?).  It is called The Voice, not The Voices.  I don't think it's fair to the other contestants when the groups are allowed.  We've seen duo's that have 1 good and 1 almost decent singer take out good singers in the battles.  This season if the 2 Trios we've seen so far were all solo acts, they wouldn't have made it through auditions (and now i'll probably get flamed by the Girl Named Tom fans 😝).

Thoughts?

5 minutes ago, kormath said:

It is called The Voice, not The Voices. 

There it is :dead:

Personally, I’m fine with groups auditioning. They don’t affect the season’s course because 95% of them leave early (I would argue they have more disadvantages that advantages, specially in the live shows), and sometimes we get some great performances out of them.

The only two groups that have made it far (The Swons and Hello Sunday) were basically carried by one member, so they felt very similar to a solo act imo.

• Like 1

Actually there are some TV shows that allow groups like X Factor.

I also think groups have more disadvantages. It is so hard to combine voices and tones that we barely have them after lives

The major question is: why there are so many groups this season?

Edited by eidi
  • Like 2

Its a double edged sword. For one they could have the advantage of overpowering their partner on a battle scenario, and overall help each other with the construction of a performance.

On the other hand, if one member drags it out, the whole group suffers. Working on harmonies is difficult as well, you'll need to be able to place where each voice is gonna go, and that is very time consuming.

Not to mention the main audience of this show often shares the same sentiment as the OP of this thread : they don't like groups, and thus they tend to get eliminated early. Another hindrage for them: sound mixing on the live shows.

My stance of them? I've never minded them, although I hace never really cared for them at all, really. That being said, Girl Named Tom could change that. Their blind singlehandedly has made then my favorite group ever on the show, and I can't wait to see what they do next.

I don't mind them because we usually get a couple of decent/good performances from them pre-lives, but when it's their time to go in lives, they go. They don't (usually) overstay their welcome.

Also, how could you decide that GNT won't be able to make it solo when for all of their audition, they were all focused on blending on a song that relies on harmonies? None of them would sing that song if they had gone solo.

Edited by FloorWax

I’m going to be completely honest, prior to this season, I’ve never been a huge fan of group acts on the show. Typically, there is one member that overshadows the other (The Bundy’s and Worth the Wait, the other two trios so far, had one member that was clearly stronger than the rest). Many of the duos in the past have also been like this. Sometimes I have seen the groups not mesh well together 

I will say that Girl Named Tom has potential to be the first group I really like on the show, as their audition might be the first group audition to make my Top 3 auditions of the season, and I think I might be able to enjoy their run as well. Bekah, Caleb and Joshua are all great vocalists individually, and there hasn’t been. Sure, their audition didn’t highlight their individual voices much, but we will be able to hear more from them. Bekah sings lead on some of their songs and she is really good, so I don’t expect them to flop in that regard like some of the other duos in the past. With most groups, not all of the members would have gotten a chair, but I think with them, they could have each gotten chairs on their own. I can’t say the same for every group this season.

This is also why the Battles are probably my least favorite round of the show, because it’s so hard to have great battles when you’re judging 2 contestants.  Very few battles have been excellent, sometimes because of mismatch of styles or because you have one singer that clearly outperforms the other.

17 hours ago, kormath said:

I've been watching The Voice since season 3 or 4 or so, and have never understood why this show is allowing groups to participate.  no other singing contest show allows groups (or is my aging memory getting more holes in it?).  It is called The Voice, not The Voices.  I don't think it's fair to the other contestants when the groups are allowed.  We've seen duo's that have 1 good and 1 almost decent singer take out good singers in the battles.  This season if the 2 Trios we've seen so far were all solo acts, they wouldn't have made it through auditions (and now i'll probably get flamed by the Girl Named Tom fans 😝).

Thoughts?

no worries, you shouldn't get flamed, and welcome to the board welcome-1-1c.gif

I kind of like having a duo/trio in the mix, something different and there have been some good ones on the show. Not sure about fairness, but so far the solos are the winners

The show is looking for vocal artists. The majority of artists are solo singers, but if you turn on the radio, sometimes you hear duos and trios. Were Simon & Garfunkel, the duo, a less worthy artist than Paul Simon, solo singer? What they don’t allow is bands, where some members don’t sing at all.

If they were going to limit the type of artists based on the name of the show, then no contestants should be allowed to play instruments. I mean, it’s the Voice, not the Musician. And yet, they don’t.

Edited by AngelaKD
  • Like 2