SYTYCD Routines Mini-Rankdown (NL5) (Round 5)

.Rei

2 hours ago, Deeee said:

I have always loved it and wished that Season 14 was not so demanding on the dancers. This routine could have been perfection had the four finalists not all been hospitalized for exhaustion. LOL.

didn't know about the hospitalization stuff so that would explain why they looked so messy in this and why they were hardly on sync imo

55 minutes ago, .Rei said:

didn't know about the hospitalization stuff so that would explain why they looked so messy in this and why they were hardly on sync imo

Yeah so Season 4 started having dancers doing two routines + group routine + potentially two solos between performance + results show starting at Top 14 and not stopping until the finals. So the finalist group notoriously was in the hospital for exhaustion, injuries, dehydration, etc. during the final week.

It definitely does explain why the routine is not perfect, but that is kind of what I love about the routine? Sometimes the choreography and individual performances are so nuanced and interesting that it kind of overcomes some of my technical gripes? This explains how I feel about "Cabaret Hoover" for example. "Cabaret Hoover" is far better than "Hallelujah," but there are a billion issues of synchrony and technique in "Cabaret Hoover." Still legendary though because the choreography itself is very strong, the song itself is very strong, and the performances being chaotic actually makes more sense than if the routine were performed cleanly + in-sync. I feel the same way about "Hallelujah" in that the routine is clearly not perfect, but that is kind of its charm. Just my thoughts, but I get why it could make somebody not love the routine.

1 hour ago, *Amanda said:

Jessica King & William Wingfield - "Alone" (Lyrical Jazz by Mandy Moore) - Megan, Chris, Diana, Amanda (4)

Kherington Payne & tWitch Boss - "2 Buck 4 TV" (Krump by Lil' C)

Top 5 Men - "Five Guys Named Moe" (Broadway by Nigel Lythgoe & Chuck Maldonado) - Rei, Derek, JC (3)

Katee Shean & Joshua Allen - "All By Myself" (Contemporary by Mandy Moore) - Dee, Rei, Derek, Diana, Gigi, Alex, Amanda (7)

Top 4 - "Hallelujah" (Contemporary by Mia Michaels) - Dee, Megan, Chris, JC, Gigi, Alex (6)

3 minutes ago, Deeee said:

two routines + group routine + potentially two solos between performance + results show starting at Top 14

two routines per week should arguably be saved for Top 8... doing it at Top 14 was OUTRAGEOUS and a waste of everyone's time/talents/energy

2 minutes ago, FrogLenzen said:

two routines per week should arguably be saved for Top 8... doing it at Top 14 was OUTRAGEOUS and a waste of everyone's time/talents/energy

Even more so it was potentially hazardous and career-ending for the contestants involved who were just racking up injuries. Like very irresponsible on top of just being a waste of time/energy/talents.

• Like 1

Just now, Deeee said:

Even more so it was potentially hazardous and career-ending for the contestants involved who were just racking up injuries. Like very irresponsible on top of just being a waste of time/energy/talents.

and it did nothing to make the show better! Rushed episodes with shortened routines and abbreviated judging and removing video packages didn't enhance any contestant's """""""journey""""""" they were all just lucky to survive

1 minute ago, FrogLenzen said:

and it did nothing to make the show better! Rushed episodes with shortened routines and abbreviated judging and removing video packages didn't enhance any contestant's """""""journey""""""" they were all just lucky to survive

Season 4 was very messy. Iconic, but messy. I agree though that all of the packed episodes do nothing to make me more interested. There is no reason I should have had to watch Comfort dance two Smooth Waltz routines in three weeks. Or Katee dance 574637 Tyce Diorio Broadway numbers.

I think the right formula is something like one duet, one group, one solo per episode up until Top 10. Then maybe transition to two duets, one solo, one group.

What’s the popular opinion on S4? It’s one of only three seasons I watched in full and was easily my least favorite of the three. Not that it was bad or anything, but I was pretty underwhelmed outside of a few contestants/routines the entire season.

13 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

What’s the popular opinion on S4? It’s one of only three seasons I watched in full and was easily my least favorite of the three. Not that it was bad or anything, but I was pretty underwhelmed outside of a few contestants/routines the entire season.

everyone loves this season except Courtney, no one likes her

11 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

Obviously sentiments have changed since Joshua revealed himself to be trash, but S4 is considered part of the iconic S2-S5 run of the show. S4 is typically less well-liked than S3 and S5, but S4 has produced a ton of fan favorites in Katee, Courtney, tWitch, Will, Gev, Comfort, Mark, and Chelsie. All of whom have experienced a lot of success after the season ended. The winner was generally considered one of the all-time greats, but of course that has now changed. S4 is basically a season that is worthless outside of the Top 10, which is typically the sentiment. LOL. 

Season 4 is great. Courtney is one of the most beloved contestants ever so ignore everything Derek says about her. 😘 Amazing Top 10, amazing couples that we were lucky to see dance together for 5 weeks before the partner switches happened, and a lot of amazing routines. It was gonna be hard to top season 3, but this season held up in its own right and deserves praise because it was a genuinely good season. Definitely part of SYTYCD's peak days, it just happened to be sandwiched between 2 extremely loved seasons, but we shouldn't discredit it because of that.

Season 4 is one of my favorites. Although I am probably a bit biased towards it because it was the first season I watched live.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alex95 said:

Signing the petition for you to watch the other seasons of the show and offer reviews. :kissbye:

• Like 1

Jessica King & William Wingfield - "Alone" (Lyrical Jazz by Mandy Moore) - Megan, Chris, Diana, Amanda, Elliott (5)

Kherington Payne & tWitch Boss - "2 Buck 4 TV" (Krump by Lil' C) - Elliott (1)

Top 5 Men - "Five Guys Named Moe" (Broadway by Nigel Lythgoe & Chuck Maldonado) - Rei, Derek, JC (3)

Katee Shean & Joshua Allen - "All By Myself" (Contemporary by Mandy Moore) - Dee, Rei, Derek, Diana, Gigi, Alex, Amanda (7)

Top 4 - "Hallelujah" (Contemporary by Mia Michaels) - Dee, Megan, Chris, JC, Gigi, Alex (6)

• Like 1

Ignore Derek on Courtney.... she's one of the most beloved contestants here, I think and hope. ❤️ 

Season 4 was quite hated on here back on the day, which I didn't get as I really loved that season and think it's one of my favorites. Yeah only the Top 10 really mattered, as most of those outside of it/from the Bottom 10 aren't as remembered or cared for. :haha: 

Jessica King & William Wingfield - "Alone" (Lyrical Jazz by Mandy Moore) - Megan, Chris, Diana, Amanda, Elliott, Wallace (6)

Kherington Payne & tWitch Boss - "2 Buck 4 TV" (Krump by Lil' C) - Elliott (1)

Katee Shean & Joshua Allen - "All By Myself" (Contemporary by Mandy Moore) - Dee, Rei, Derek, Diana, Gigi, Alex, Amanda, Wallace (8)

1 minute ago, Elliott said:

Me seeing everyone say to ignore anyone who didn't make the Top 10 in S4 when I liked more of the semi-finalists than the finalists: 👁️👄👁️

S4 might have my vote for worst semi-finalists group ever. I have always found this very strange! LOL. 

Just now, Deeee said:

S4 might have my vote for worst semi-finalists group ever. I have always found this very strange! LOL. 

Wait what does Jessica count as since she was technically a part of the original Top 10? :dead:

But yeah, I loathed most of the Top 10. :rofl: