Snatch Game: The Mini-Rankdown (Tournament Final Round, Due Feb 7th)

Solaris

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, *Wallace said:

I'm curious why you think this. 😮 I think Tiffany Haddish would be a great character for this challenge, but I'm often underwhelmed by the performances of her. Maybe I put too much in how people portray her? :lmao: 

Hmmm let's see if I can articulate this or if I confuse myself lol. In general I feel like.... comediennes are not the best character choices. People choose Tiffany because they love her and they think she is funny. But Tiffany's magic is just her natural charisma and her off-the-cuff humor. If you're not as charismatic or witty as Tiffany (and no one is), you're already starting behind. It's the same kind of problem I see with a choice like Sofia Vergara. I think it's a better idea to pick a celebrity that isn't funny and make them funny, rather than pick a super funny celebrity and try to match how funny the celebrity would be.

And I think references are harder with someone like Tiffany. She doesn't have a lot of scandals or catchphrases or anything like that for queens to make crazy answers. And it's very easy for the queen to just act like themselves rather than act like Tiffany. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, FrogLenzen said:

Hmmm let's see if I can articulate this or if I confuse myself lol. In general I feel like.... comediennes are not the best character choices. People choose Tiffany because they love her and they think she is funny. But Tiffany's magic is just her natural charisma and her off-the-cuff humor. If you're not as charismatic or witty as Tiffany (and no one is), you're already starting behind. It's the same kind of problem I see with a choice like Sofia Vergara. I think it's a better idea to pick a celebrity that isn't funny and make them funny, rather than pick a super funny celebrity and try to match how funny the celebrity would be.

And I think references are harder with someone like Tiffany. She doesn't have a lot of scandals or catchphrases or anything like that for queens to make crazy answers. And it's very easy for the queen to just act like themselves rather than act like Tiffany. 

I agree with you !

1 hour ago, FrogLenzen said:

Oooh thanks for explaining this in detail because I was genuinely wondering about this. You make a lot of great points, that I feel I agree with you on. This is probably why I feel underwhelmed and always want more from the Queens who portray Tiffany. I guess I feel that charm and off-the-cuff humor isn't there and they set themselves up for high expectations. This makes a lot of sense. :yes: 

17 hours ago, *Wallace said:

Silky coming in 2nd on an IDF game is the only time this will happen and.... is a WIN for ME! :wub:  :wub: :wub:  I would have preferred her to win even though I knew she wouldn't.

You say this like she won’t win the Lip Sync rankdown when @*Chris gets to AS6. :haha:

47 minutes ago, Elliott said:

You say this like she won’t win the Lip Sync rankdown when @*Chris gets to AS6. :haha:

9 minutes ago, *Chris said:

He doesn't know what you're talking about since he's so far behind when it comes to Drag Race. :giggle: 

Grrrr yeah I don't really know what this is about as my computer crashed a few months ago so I wasn't able to finish that season. :( I hope I can find a way to catch up. But interesting comment. 😮 

23 hours ago, *Wallace said:

Grrrr yeah I don't really know what this is about as my computer crashed a few months ago so I wasn't able to finish that season. :( I hope I can find a way to catch up. But interesting comment. 😮 

Finish AS6! Legitimately one of the best seasons across the entire franchise. ❤️

Was not really expecting those Season 11 rankings but guess it makes sense with less overall ranks. :dead: Shuga winning with no #1 rankings :wub: Kinda shocked that A'Keria ranked higher than Nina, and also would have had Plastique above Vanjie.

Doing Season 12 rankings now!

Daniel Franzese: "Sometimes when you're parodying someone that doesn't have very much of a public persona, you just gotta give them, like, a plus one. She's ____, plus she's angry. Or she's _____, plus slutty. Just give us one more plus, and it doesn't even have to be true!" 

The best advice ever for Snatch Game.

Snatch Game Season 12:

10. Katherine Hepburn (Sherry Pie)

RuPaul's Drag Race S12 Ep6: The Snatch Game - The Norm Can Conform

Average: 9.33

Rankings:

@FrogLenzen - 10 

@Elliott - 10

@*Lily - 10

@Solaris - 10

@*Wallace - 7

@Zoey - 9

Derek

Elliott

Offensive and terrible.

Lily

Clear exception where I cannot separate the performance from the performer and rank higher than last place. It was a tired impersonation anyway.

Wallace

Lmaooo we saw nothing at all from Sherry as Katherine, so I don't know where to put her. I'll put her in this default spot as I can't imagine she was worse than my Bottom 3.  I feel this could be good, but I guess we'll never know.

9. Patricia Quinn (Aiden Zhane)

RuPaul's Drag Race Season 12, Episode 6 Recap: Blue Balled – Maxiwrites

Average: 8.67

Rankings:

@FrogLenzen - 9

@Elliott - 9

@*Lily - 9

@Solaris - 9

@*Wallace - 10

@Zoey - 7

Derek

Good lord in heaven. A series of unfortunate events and choices led to this.

Elliott

Terrible.

Lily

Bonus points for doing an impression so bad that the person you're portraying has to go to social media just to talk about how much they hated it.

Wallace

This was quite terrible, uncomfortable and just not funny at all. I don't know her character but she wasn't funny.

8. Jennifer Holliday (Brita)

Average: 8.17

Rankings:

@FrogLenzen - 8

@Elliott - 8

@*Lily - 9

@Solaris - 8

@*Wallace - 8

@Zoey - 8

Derek

Someone once told Brita that her crazy mouth looked like Jennifer Holliday's crazy mouth and Brita thought she could make an entire Snatch Game character out of that one resemblance. It turns out that she cannot.

Elliott

Meh.

Lily

I think there was probably some promise in the actual impersonation but where do you really go with it in Snatch Game? It kinda died straight after it started for me.

Wallace

I felt: Brita..... tried too hard to be funny when she wasn't really funny at all. She just kept getting worse throughout.

7. Poppy (Crystal Methyd)

Drag Race World — Crystal Methyd. RuPaul's Drag Race ( Season 12 )

Average: 7.00

Rankings:

@FrogLenzen - 7

@Elliott - 7

@*Lily - 6

@Solaris - 7

@*Wallace - 9

@Zoey - 6

Derek

uh oh. This character probably would never work, but it flops even harder sitting next to Maria the Robot. Crystal could not keep up with the jokes at all.

Elliott

Meh.

Lily

The Poppy impersonation itself actually wasn't too bad and did not help that nobody knew who she was. But it's also not one where you can get plenty of zingers in and doesn't help that there's another 'robotic' style character who's doing much better.

Wallace

This was weird, and I just didn't really get this. She had no jokes and when she tried, nothing worked.

6. Tina Turner/Ike Turner (Widow Von'Du)

Average: 5.67

Rankings:

@FrogLenzen - 6

@Elliott - 6

@*Lily - 7

@Solaris - 6

@*Wallace - 5

@Zoey - 4

Derek

fine. We should know by now that Derek doesn't like double characters. There is not enough time. One joke with Tina and you move on to another character? No ma'am.

Elliott

Default ranking.

Lily

Just pretty subpar in both characters.

Wallace

I don't know if she needed to be both characters but I enjoyed them both well enough. I did feel like the Ike portrayal was funnier.

5. Cardi B (Jaida Essence Hall)

Season 12 Snatch Game GIFs : r/rupaulsdragrace

Average: 4.83

Rankings:

@FrogLenzen - 4

@Elliott - 4

@*Lily - 4

@Solaris - 4

@*Wallace - 3

@Zoey - 10

Derek

Solid. I was worried it wouldn't be a big enough version of the character but it was passable because the lines were funny. 

Elliott

What we saw was entertaining.

Lily

Obviously love Jaida but even this ending up as my #4 just kinda shows how it's another case of a few great performances and the rest bad or unmemorable. I think her Cardi was ok, she had some of the personality in there but needed to go bigger with it.

Wallace

Fun, enjoyable and entertaining portrayal of Cardi B. I liked when she was trying to do the Cardi sound effects and laugh. It wasn't all the way arruccate but it was fun.

Snatch Game Season 12 continued:

4. Bernadette Peters (Jan)

Bernadette Peters - RuPaul's Drag Race Season 12 Episode 6 - TV Fanatic

Average: 4.17

Rankings:

@FrogLenzen - 3

@Elliott - 3

@*Lily - 5

@Solaris - 3

@*Wallace - 6

@Zoey - 3

Derek

Great character choice. Needed to be a little quicker with the jokes. Grab attention faster and then do something faster.

Elliott

Solid performance.

Lily

Shoulda done Kris Jenner. I mean I'm not sure how much more successful it would have been but when Ru is praising your Kris Jenner impression from your audition tape, run with that and do it. Especially because when you're Jan, Ru ain't gonna praise you much more.

Sola

This was good!

Wallace

This was okay. Wasn't terrible but also didn't stand out here.

3. Leslie Jones (Heidi N. Closet)

bianca del read-a-hoe — heidi n closet as leslie jones

Average: 3.67

Rankings:

@FrogLenzen - 3

@Elliott - 5

@*Lily - 3

@Solaris - 5

@*Wallace - 4

@Zoey - 2

Derek

Leslie is not the worst pick, but you should only do it if you're prepared to be the most loud and insane and vulgar version of her you can possibly imagine. This was not that, but it was fine.

Elliott

Default ranking.

Lily

Love that she basically had the same look down from Leslie's guest judging appearance a couple weeks before. She had some good jokes in there and while it felt more Heidi than Leslie at most points, I still enjoyed.

Sola

I was pretty meh on this.

Wallace

Heidi was really funny and entertaining here but I didn't really get a Leslie Jones feel here. It kinda felt too Heidi for me, or a more exaggerated version of Heidi. Was stuck on giving her 3rd or 4th but went with 4th with the lack of characterization.

2. Maria the Robot (Gigi Goode)

Maria The Robot Gigi Goode GIF - Maria The Robot Gigi Goode Mary Harrison -  Discover & Share GIFs

Average: 2.17

Rankings:

@FrogLenzen - 2

@Elliott - 1

@*Lily - 2

@Solaris - 2

@*Wallace - 1

@Zoey - 5

Derek

"I understand your concern, but I do not have the same concern" is an absolutely ICONIC line, legendary. During the Snatch Game introduction Ru was absolutely testing her with the BBC comment but Gigi passed the test. I love unexpected comedy from fashion queens. Yes, she defaults to vulgar/mean, but it worked here

Elliott

I know the “fashion queen is actually funny” storyline is tired but Gigi’s performance had me rolling non-stop. I definitely think this was a deserved win for her.

Lily

Such a good performance and deserves all the credit IMO. Took a risk with her performance but clearly prepared for it and did so well. The physical comedy brings it home (where I think some of the actual answers maybe didn't quite as much).

Sola

She did an amazing job.  But as time has gone on, I prefer one other one more! In the moment I agreed with the win.

Wallace

Gigi nailing the character of the robot but making it hilarious was such a joy to watch. I love the attitude she had but also all of the robotic facial expressions. She had great comedic timing and just was so entertaining.

1. Lisa Rinna (Jackie Cox)

Stuff and Fun Things — RuPaul's Drag Race season 12: Episode 6 - The...

Average: 1.33

Rankings:

@FrogLenzen - 1

@Elliott - 2

@*Lily - 1

@Solaris - 1

@*Wallace - 2

@Zoey - 1

Derek

Amazing. 

Elliott

Hilarious.

Lily

Went back and forth on this one. Originally would have given the win to Gigi as they did, but idk, I just think Jackie knocked it out of the park with Rinna. The references, the quick wit, the look, my highlight of hers in the competition.

Sola

This performance has only gotten better over time for me.  I love this impersonation, its everything.  Worthy winner!

Wallace

She was really funny, animated and hilarious as Lisa Rinna. She had the overtalking stuff going on, alongside the mannerism and great comedic jokes. All the times she mentioned "Harry Hamlin" cracked me up as that is so Lisa.