Why can’t Canadians vote?

CdnCountryFan

I’m so stumped as to why Canadians are not eligible to vote, we watch the show regularly and have favourites, so why can’t we vote? Even the official iPhone app is only in the American iTunes Store, so we can’t even get that! I wonder what would have happened had Anders moved forward to the lives, he has family and friends here in Canada being from Ottawa Ontario, so what, they wouldn’t be able to vote for him?

I wish there was a way to contact the producers with this suggestion for future seasons. Heck, Canadians were able to vote on Nashville star, and there was a Canadian on only one season, but not the voice?

• Like 1

AFAIK most, if not all, of the Voice franchises restrict voting to the country of origin.  I never could find a way to vote in The Voice UK without using a proxy.  In Canada's case, it seems the french speakers beat the english speakers to the punch.  Therefore, Canada has La Voix.  TBH why you can't vote here is a invalid argument.  Why the Canadian english speakers lost it's franchise opportunity to the french speakers is a good one though. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Elliott said:

Because it's not a Canadian show? Americans couldn't vote on Canadian Idol when it was a thing.

Any comments about how or why Canada chose La Voix instead of The Voice?  I've read that about 25% of Canadians speak french as a 1st or 2nd language, but at around 9.5 million, that seems to be a small potential audience....I mean, that's less that the population of North Carolina.  Politics?

19 minutes ago, Spurrious said:

Any comments about how or why Canada chose La Voix instead of The Voice?  I've read that about 25% of Canadians speak french as a 1st or 2nd language, but at around 9.5 million, that seems to be a small potential audience....I mean, that's less that the population of North Carolina.  Politics?

Most likely none of the English-speaking networks wanted to do it since it’s cheaper for them to just broadcast the US show. The network that picked it up is a Quebec-based station, and Quebec is legally only French.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spurrious said:

I'll try to explain a bit how it work. I'm simplifying thing. In Canada we have 2 big telecom conglomerate that are bitter rival. On the french part is Quebecor and the English part is Bell Media. They don't like each other.  Just to illustrate, in 2019 there been sport channel black out by bell media for videotron (cable compagny own by Quebecor) and suing and counter suing because they didn't agree on fees paid to broadcast the channel. 

Now so canada didn't choose La Voix instead of the Voice. Quebecor  choose to produce La Voix and CTV( bell media station ) choose not to produce The Voice.

The reason I believe mainly is rating. It's harder to find rating in Canada I don't know any site that follow it daily. The last info I could find is the average 2 weeks before April 7 La Voix has an audience of 1.8 millions viewers. (1) On Monday March 16, The voice US on Canadian TV (CTV 2) had an audience of 598,000 viewers. (2)  So you might say well it's an american show it sure has less audience. If you look at the last singing reality show in English Canada the Launch season 2 premiere with 593,000 combine viewers CTV and VRAK (I believe they did a simulcast in a small french channel I'm not sure I haven't watch VRAK. ) (3)

You might say you can't compare the Launch is a different format. Let look at Canadian idol. In 2008 the last season of Canadian Idol Premiere at 1,574,000 viewers (4) now that 2008 American Idol in 2008 premiere at 33 millions viewers (5). So even 2008 Canadian idol has less viewers than 2020 La Voix. 

So it make sense for La Voix, it doesn't for The Voice Canada.  They can't hope getting enough increase audience to offset the cost. It's cheaper just to buy the rebroadcast right to Us The Voice than produce a Canadians version. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elliott said:

Most likely none of the English-speaking networks wanted to do it .....

7 minutes ago, Dany said:

I'll try to explain a bit how it work.....

Thanks guys for the thoughtful responses. 

On 4/26/2020 at 12:00 AM, QueenMae16 said:

Cause they would actually vote for talent, and the USA Voice producers love the opposite of everything good lmao.

You clearly never watched Canadian Idol; regional voting block was a problem. 

2 hours ago, Spurrious said:

French-Canadian here; Dany did a pretty good job at explaining part of it but I will explain it through a French-Canadian POV.

• French is Canada's official language with English. It is Quebec's main language with more than 80% of its population speaking French, and being its only official language. And other provinces like mine, New Brunswick, have a high percentage of French speakers - we are the only bilingual province. As well, there's other french speaking canadians across the country.

• Why La Voix and not The Voice? The viewership. French-Canadian have limited amount of access to French media especially for French-Canadians outside of Quebec -  francophones in Ontario would most likely it watch it more than watching The Voice. And it airs once a week on a Sunday night, hence the reason why I prefer to watch La Voix over The Voice as its less of a time commitment. 

• It is harder for Canadians to have a big break in the music industry (e.g.: look at the Canadian Idol's winners). However, it is easier for French-Canadians to have a big break as they only need to breakthrough in one market which is Quebec - please note that it is harder for them to breakthrough internationally if they ever want to go to France. And the majority of the winners found success; 
    • Valerie Carpentier has released 2 albums since she won where one was certified gold, and 4 nominations at the ADISQ which would be equivalent to Quebec's version of the Grammy's.
    • Yoan Garneau has released 2 albums, with his first album being certified platinum and being one of the top selling album of the year. And he also won an ADISQ and a Country CMA awards.
    • Other artists who did not win found success like Charlotte Cardin-Goyer who has been making music in French & English,  Valerie Lahei, Remi Chasse, Renee Wilkin, Matthew Holubowski, Rosa Laricchiuta, Celeste Levis, Genevieve Leclerc -- most of them have released albums and even received nominations at the ADISQ.
    • The show also release an album of highlights of the season, and it's always a best seller every year.

• Quebecois always been pro-arts and culture, and they always had a success with reality TV competition such as Star Academie & La Voix compare to Canadian Idol and SYTYCD Canada.  
    • When Star Academie released their albums, it would always end up at the top of the Canadian billboard chart.

• La Voix also gives an opportunity for francophone outside of Quebec to be discovered - it is harder for a french artists in Ontario or Manitoba to be discovered, there's been a few of them on the show.

• La Voix does not mean English speaking Canadians cannot audition; many of them have auditioned and went pretty far, Rebecca Noel is one of them. And they can obviously vote but you have to pay to vote. 

• As well, I doubt we would have any relevant mentors if we had an english version of the voice - all the mentors on La Voix are well respected artists who still make music, and some of them having careers internationally. 

And that's my two cents :haha:

Edited by *Chris
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Spurrious said:

Thanks Chris, et al....if you ask the right questions ....sometimes you learn.  Today I learned something.  🙂

You're welcome! 

At least you are aware of it, as I always thought people did not know about La Voix :haha:

The format works for it, it's faster and people don't get frustrated or annoyed by the results :haha:

• 8 months later...
On 4/25/2020 at 8:37 PM, CdnCountryFan said:

I’m so stumped as to why Canadians are not eligible to vote, we watch the show regularly and have favourites, so why can’t we vote? Even the official iPhone app is only in the American iTunes Store, so we can’t even get that! I wonder what would have happened had Anders moved forward to the lives, he has family and friends here in Canada being from Ottawa Ontario, so what, they wouldn’t be able to vote for him?

If you don't live in the United States and you want to vote for artists on The Voice, you can still do so by using Hotspot Shield VPN. This is a free app that can be found in the App Store and on Google Play. After downloading and activating the app, you should be able to vote on both the Voice app and online. Google Assistant voting should also work when the VPN is activated. I'm Canadian and I'm able to vote online, on the app, and on Google Assistant. 😉

On 4/26/2020 at 10:27 AM, AngelaKD said:

Canadians can’t vote because it’s an American show intended for an American audience. The voting restrictions are in the rules.

if you are able to see the show, it’s due to a licensing agreement that could be ended at any time. 

Yet Nashville star was an American show and Canadians were eligible to vote (and audition) and a proxy wasn't needed in order to vote

• Like 1