Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

340?cb=20160213213412

a33191759659b5bb1b636a16f3fbd06a.gif

I am truly honored to finally cut Deadpool from this rankdown, especially after it winning the Ryan Reynold's round in the filmography rankdown.  And this cut should not be any surprise to anyone as I've never hid the fact that I never understand the appeal for movies like Deadpool, and it is a movie that people either love or hate.  Onto the movie now; this incredibly popular movie was released in 2016 where it stars Ryan Reynolds as the lead actor, Morena Baccarin, Ed Skrein, T.J. Miller, Gina Carano, and Brianna Hildebrand. The movie is inspired by the Marvel comics of the same name, and it is part of the X-Men franchise - it follows Wade Wilson as he hunts down the man who gave him mutant abilities & a scarred appearance. Overall, the movie was a huge financial success and was critically acclaimed for some reason - honestly, I will never know why because I have zero interest in watching this movie just like other superhero movies. 

SAVING: SPOTLIIGHT

BROOKLYN

61b0t3+VghL._AC_SL1023_.jpg

Released five years ago, Brooklyn is a romantic period drama starring Saoirse Ronan. Based on the 2009 novel, Brooklyn tells the story of a young Irishwoman named Ellis Lacey who emigrates to the United States in 1951. She is unable to find full-time work in Ireland and isn't interested in any of the men there either. After arrangements are set up by a priest, she is able to make the voyage to New York. She arrives in Brooklyn and seeks employment. She ends up living in a boarding house with other Irishwomen and works at a department store. She is at first homesick, but she eventually starts taking bookkeeping classes and begins dating an Italian plumber named Tony. She adjusts to her new life and is happy, but she then gets tragic news from home. Her sister has died, and her mother will be needing help. She must return home, but she marries Tony before she leaves. Once she is back in Ireland, she takes over her late sister's bookkeeping job and is set up with another man named Jim. Ellis must decide whether to remain in Ireland or return to her life in Brooklyn. What does she decide? I guess you'll have to watch the movie or read the book to find out or read the Wikipedia page. As for reviews of the film, Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 97% approval rating and says, "Brooklyn buttresses outstanding performances from Saoirse Ronan and Emory Cohen with a rich period drama that tugs at the heartstrings as deftly as it satisfies the mind." Saoirse Ronan was nominated for Best Actress at the Academy Awards for this performance. The film was also nominated for Best Picture and Best Adapted Screenplay. I haven't seen this film before, but I am interested since I do like Saorise Ronan. Apologies for eliminating it from the rankdown.

And I'm saving War Horse.

tumblr_m2irkdeySa1rs0b3ao1_500.gif

I, Tonya

I,_Tonya_(2017_film).png

EminentSarcasticJunco-max-1mb.gif

I, Tonya is a 2017 biographical sports black comedy film directed by Craig Gillespie. The movie is based on figure skater Tonya Harding and her connection to the 199a stack of her rival Nancy Kerrigan. The film follows Tonya Harding as she rises amongst the ranks at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships, but in the meantime her future in sport is thrown into doubt when her ex-husband intervenes. The cast of the film included: Margot Robbie, Sebastian Stan ❤️, Julianne Nicholson, Bobby Canavale ❤️ and Allison Janney ❤️. The movie was a success on the box office, making $54M against a budget of $11M. The film got great reviews with praised directed towards Margot Robbie and Allison Janney's performance with both of them getting Academy Awards nominations. Alisson Janney ended up winning the best supporting actress category against the likes of Mary J. Bridge, Hong Chau, Laurie Metcalf and Octavia Spencer. I remember I was rooting for Laurie Metcalf as I loved her performance in Lady Bird, but then again I've never watched I, Tonya so I don't know how great Alisson Janney's was. The film received some criticism by being accused of making Harding sympathetic. I don't know about that, I'll let the people who have watched comment on that.

Saving Incendies

07e22004a121244a2c388e5e302789a9.gif

EASY A (2010)

tumblr_losumba1uf1qdqlhzo1_r1_500.gif

I would definitely say I'm a pretty big Emma Stone fan, and this is one of her career defining movies. Easy A is a 2010 comedy-drama film starring Emma Stone, Stanley Tucci, Patricia Clarkson, Thomas Haden Church, Amanda Bynes, and Lisa Kudrow, among others. The plot revolves around a 17-year old who tells a lie to her friend about losing her virginity. She is overheard by Amanda Bynes's character who spreads this fake news all over campus and suddenly Olive (Emma's character) develops a reputation as the high school slut. Sounds like my 10th grade year! Jk I wish. This movie is a take/based on the 1850 novel The Scarlet Letter and it's pretty clever and fun in parts, but it's never been a top favorite movie of mine. It definitely helped Emma Stone continue on her amazing trajectory of becoming an Oscar winning actress, so for that I'm glad it exists.

Saving: Silver Linings Playbook

• Sad 1

The Dark Knight Rises (2012 dir. by Christopher Nolan)

tumblr_m52qz7rodr1r5r8duo1_500.gif

This film has survived far too long. Tuesday happens to be the busiest day of the week for me, so this write-up needs to be really short for the time being. The Dark Knight trilogy is pretty strong all across the board, though The Dark Knight Rises had the unfortunate task of following The Dark Knight. This film was always going to be a bit of a disappointment in comparison to its predecessor, especially since Ledger's performance as The Joker is pretty revolutionary. Bane is just not as interesting as The Joker, even in the comics from which Nolan drew inspiration for this movie. Not to mention the film is shrouded in controversy after the tragic 2012 Aurora, Colorado shooting. I still remember being absolutely devastated at the event and refusing to see the movie for quite some time because I was too emotionally exhausted at the thought. 

All that being said, The Dark Knight Rises is a solid film. At the time of release, it happened to be the seventh highest grossing film of all time. Now it occupies the thirtieth ranking. The film received a ton of critical praise, but also seems to be the most heavily criticized film of the trilogy. There is a really slow build tbh, but the climax is satisfying. Tom Hardy nails the role of Bane. The film is thoughtful and a great superhero movie. The film received a lot of political attention and analysis as well, with a hilarious take from Rush Limbaugh, who thought the film was a purposeful attack on Mitt Romney. LOLOLOL. 

IDK. I should write a ton more, but I am sitting in my TA class right now and am fighting the idea of more sleep. LOL. The Dark Knight Rises has had like 76 lives in this game. Why? IDK. I will definitely care far more about The Dark Knight in the 2000s Rankdown.

SAVING: Room