Disney Characters Rankdown

Steven_

VIOLET

tumblr_mjh18qXsPc1qg7keco4_500.gif

Throughout the rankdown, I believe that I've made it clear that I find "The Incredibles" to be a tad bit overrated as I never understood its appeal and the love people have for it. So it should be no surprise that I am cutting Violet - she's also a character that I feel that is safe to cut, at this point, without making anyone too upset with it. So who is Violet? She is known as Violet Parr who is the daugther of Bob & Helen Parr - she's the eldest of their children and she is seen as a tritagonists in the franchise. In the movie, she is known as a super-heroine where she has the power of invisibility & force-field generation; she truly grown into her own as a character as the movie progressed.  And my apologies for not doing justice to her but I need to get this write-up in (and I still have more to update). 

• Sad 1

Esmeralda (Hunchback of Notre Dame)

Bow Down The Hunchback Of Notre Dame GIF

The final cut round is super brutal, and I went back and forth on this several times before settling on this cut. My thought process is that I wanted to try to spread the Final group over as many movies as possible, so I wanted to eliminate from a movie that had more than 1 character left. So here we are with the Esmeralda cut. It’s been a while since I’ve really sat down and watched this movie, but I feel like Quasimodo was the better choice to represent the movie in the finals.

Esmeralda is a main character in the movie Hunchback of Notre Dame. She is referred to as a gypsy by many of the characters, and is often seen dancing and performing in the town. She is usually accompanied by her goat, Djali. She is shown to be kind-hearted, rescuing Quasimodo from tormentors and developing a friendship with him. She is shown to be very cunning and able to evade Frollo and his minions and stay one step ahead of them. When Frollo develops lustful thoughts towards her, he seeks to capture and punish her for them. In the meantime during the course of the movie she falls in love with Phoebus. Once she is ultimately captured by Frollo, Phoebus and Quasimodo work to save her. In the end, once Frollo is defeated, Esmeralda and Phoebus get Quasimodo to join them outside of the cathedral.

Overall, Esmeralda is an interesting character. She is more than a damsel in distress, shown to be quite capable on her own. She also has a good heart, and develops a platonic relationship with Quasimodo. She is quite beautiful and captivating, and drives a lot of the action in the film. Early on she was considered one of the Disney “Princesses”, but in later years she hasn’t been included in most of that media. Also, I had no idea Demi Moore did her voice work in the movie... so I learned something new today!

Maleficent

Maleficent shocked activity GIF - Find on GIFER

Maleficent green fire Animated Gifs

Beauty GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

From the movie Sleeping Beauty (1959)

516?cb=20190822153457

Voiced by Eleanor Audley (1905-1991)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleanor_Audley

Also voiced Lady Tremaine in Cinderella (1950)

Eleanor Audley in Beverly Hillbillies 1962.jpg

Apologies to Steven for this one. The pettiest of Disney characters leaving in the pettiest round! Fitting. Except I'm not really being petty at anyone by doing this lol. We were left with 5 villains and 5 princesses, and I was between Maleficent and one of the princesses... I just decided to go with this one. I hate to lose another villain in this game, but it's getting rough in here, and Top 20s is very respectable for any character tbh. Maleficent is an icon among icons in the Disney world. Those horns. Amazing. Everyone knows that Maleficent is the true star of the movie. Aurora is cute and she gets extra credit for being the titular princess, but people remember this movie for the villain. So much that they made a live action movie about her starring Angelina Jolie. Steven, pretend that my cut is of the live action character. 

Watching the movie again recently, Maleficent's reaction to not getting invited to the party seemed like crazy overkill hahaha. Oh, I didn't get invited? I'm killing the baby. Not now, but after you learn to love her for 16 years. And then it didn't really make any sense at all that they had Aurora live in the woods for the entire 16 years... like, how about just the last couple months before she turns 16? Instead she doesn't get to grow up with parents. Tragic. And the fairies gave up their powers for 16 years. Couldn't be me. Then again, Maleficent is apparently an incarnation of pure evil. So I guess it makes sense. Unless you're watching the Angelina version. Then she's not so evil and it doesn't make as much sense. The gag is that even though they hid Aurora for 16 years, Maleficent finds her at the last moment. Such incompetence on behalf of the heroes. Unfortunately, Maleficent is killed by Prince Phillip after she turns into a dragon to try to prevent him from sexually assaulting Aurora. 

Anyway, sorry to Maleficent and to any fans, but out goes Maleficent from the rankdown.

• Thanks 1