American Idol Rankdown 2.0

sublymonal

2 minutes ago, The Ghost of Weedy Speedy said:

As for season 7 itself, it's funny to me how loved it is in retrospect. I remember back when the season was airing, IDF was pretty dreary by the terrible themes and uninspired song choices. In my opinion, it holds up well, even if there was that part in the middle of the finals where everyone became obsessed with ballads and how half of the themes should've been scrapped for things that were more...umm, good musically? Mariah Carey, Neil Diamond, two weeks of Beatles, Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, ugh...

Season 5 was also hated when it was airing even though everyone loves it nowadays. I still think it's one of the worst seasons, oops.

S7 did have some pretty terrible themes that the decision to make themed semi-finals wasn't even the worst of it. :dead: re: the second Beatles week, iirc, they were originally set to do "Current iTunes Top 200" or whatever but were having issues clearing songs/licensing them for iTunes, so they changed it to a Beatles week redux at the last minute. That inadvertently meant S7's themes went 80s (T16)/Beatles (T12)/Beatles (T11)/80s (T10, with Archie being the exception in 1990).

1 minute ago, Elliott said:

Season 5 was also hated when it was airing even though everyone loves it nowadays. I still think it's one of the worst seasons, oops.

S7 did have some pretty terrible themes that the decision to make themed semi-finals wasn't even the worst of it. :dead: re: the second Beatles week, iirc, they were originally set to do "Current iTunes Top 200" or whatever but were having issues clearing songs/licensing them for iTunes, so they changed it to a Beatles week redux at the last minute. That inadvertently meant S7's themes went 80s (T16)/Beatles (T12)/Beatles (T11)/80s (T10, with Archie being the exception in 1990).

Lol I joined IDF on the tail-end of season 5 and only remember a lot of praise for it and its contestants, but I'll take your word for it. It's not my favorite season but I don't think it's one of the worst.

And yes, I remember that iTunes Top 100 was the original theme for top 11 and even that Archie was gonna sing "With You" that week (a great follow-up to "We Can Work It Out" lmfao), it's a shame that didn't work out. Syesha is someone in particular I think really suffered for not having any current music to sing, instead being shafted into the "Broadway" category. Someone once posted an April Fool's Day thread during S7 that Nigel announced the next theme at some point was gonna be Gregorian Chants. The funny thing? People actually believed it. :haha: 

6 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Nothing but respect for the best performance of Alone on American Idol!

This Allison Iraheta shade. :no:

As for Carly, I liked her well enough, but I liked others more from that season as well as the rest of the Top 24, so I'm fine with this placement.

1 minute ago, The Ghost of Weedy Speedy said:

Syesha is someone in particular I think really suffered for not having any current music to sing, instead being shafted into the "Broadway" category.

I also think Syesha's decision to do a Dolly Parton-Whitney Houston hybrid for IWALY would up being a misfire, particularly when she followed it with I Believe the next week. She should've just done the Dolly version the whole way through.

1 minute ago, Elliott said:

I also think Syesha's decision to do a Dolly Parton-Whitney Houston hybrid for IWALY would up being a misfire, particularly when she followed it with I Believe the next week. She should've just done the Dolly version the whole way through.

Agreed, IWALY is actually my least favorite performance from her. I agree with Simon that I wish Sy hadn't gotten that song that week. Love her but she fell into the diva mold too much over the season. She was better than that.

1 minute ago, The Ghost of Weedy Speedy said:

I still believe that Syesha got the most votes on top 5 week and nobody can convince me otherwise.

I could be mistaken, but I'm almost positive Nigel revealed this was the case (or strongly hinted at it) at one point when he was sharing ~Idol voting trivia~ on his Twitter (after either S12 or S15). He said the #1 every week from Top 10 onward went to either Cook or Archie except for Neil Diamond week.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, The Ghost of Weedy Speedy said:

(although Syesha is still queen of being underrated that season)

lol this reminds me of how every week, they nitpicked her until they finally realized Brooke & Jason were literally imploding every week for the final few weeks and suddenly were like YOU'RE SO GREAT, YOU'VE MADE SO MANY GREAT STRIDES, IT'D BE A REAL SHAME IF YOU WERE TO BE ELIMINATED AND NOT GET VOTES for the Top 5 and Top 4, only to then saddle her with the penguin song as if she had any chance at overtaking one of the Davids in the Top 3 vote. :dead:

Just now, Elliott said:

lol this reminds me of how every week, they nitpicked her until they finally realized Brooke & Jason were literally imploding every week for the final few weeks and suddenly were like YOU'RE SO GREAT, YOU'VE MADE SO MANY GREAT STRIDES, IT'D BE A REAL SHAME IF YOU WERE TO BE ELIMINATED AND NOT GET VOTES for the Top 5 and Top 4, only to then saddle her with the penguin song as if she had any chance at overtaking one of the Davids in the Top 3 vote. :dead:

THE PENGUIN SONG. :dead:

11 minutes ago, Elliott said:

When the conversation has turned to SYesha and @*Wallace still isn't making an appearance in this thread...

:giggle: 

Loving the Syesha appreciation in here though. :wub: 

7 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Ugh it was so frustrating how they never gave her her proper credit until the last few weeks. :/ 

15 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Lmao yes the bus came hard for everyone that season, although it was deserved in Jason's case. Even with the penguin song, I thought it was better than David's and David's performances on that particular round. I remember how Randy STILL bussed Syesha after "A Change Is Gonna Come" even though Simon gave her her proper dues for that masterpiece. Moron.

IDF not being to wrap their heads around Syesha's continued survival, leading to the dominance of her Ghosts. :wub: :wub: :wub: 

7 minutes ago, Elliott said:

UO, but Without You was my least favourite Carly performance :ph34rwave:

I didn't think it was good either.

Edited by The Ghost of Weedy Speedy