@Alex95 - 7th

@Elliott - 7th

@NGM - 10th

@Zoey - 13th

@Solaris - 14th

@*Chris - 15th

@1234567890 - 18th

Public - 22nd

I ranked Carly 11th. She is definitely one of my favourite contestants from the show and one of the most powerful female voices ever on the show. Although she contributed to how great Season 7 was, she was so underrated by the judges and the voters definitely didn't appreciate her. I feel like if she waited a few seasons to try out, or tried out for The Voice, her pre-show success wouldn't have been seen as a handicap. Without even looking at her wikipedia article, I can recall so many great performances from her. "Superstar" is probably my favourite, but "Come Together", "Blackbird", "I Drove All Night" and "Crazy On You" were all phenomenal as well. She proved she can sing rock, broadway, pop and everything in between. I also love her cover of "The Letter" with the late, great Michael Johns and choose to believe we live in a world where her, Syesha, David Cook and Michael were the Top 4. 

I was able to catch the Idol tour that year and meet her and the rest of the Top 10 and she was as nice as I expected and gorgeous in person. She also slayed a cover of Evanescence's "Bring Me To Life" so mad respect for that. Since the show, as we all know, she joined a band called "We Are The Fallen" with ex-Evanescence member Ben Moody, which seemed a natural transition for her after her killer cover on the tour. Their sole album "Tear the World Down" which was released in 2010 was incredible and I honestly wish we got more albums from them. The first single from it, "Bury Me Alive", rivals some of the best Evanescence singles and has a very similar vibe to "Call Me When Your Sober". Recently, she seems to be living a happy, wonderful life with her husband and kids and running her makeup business so good for her. She deserves great things!

On 8/26/2020 at 12:01 AM, Alex95 said:

This is probably higher than most, if not all, of the other rankers will have her. But IDC! I LOVE Carly Smithson. She is one of my favorite Idols ever and her robbery in season seven still haunts me to this day. First of all, love the Irish accent. Anyone who has an Irish accent, I will be biased towards and is already off to a great start. Now her run on the show...HIGHLY underrated. I will admit, she wasn't the best contestant in the world when it came to song selection. "The Show Must Go On" was definitely a miss (which upsets me because I was so pumped for that performance since it's my favorite Queen song and I thought it would sound great on her). Other than that, I really enjoyed the rest of her performances. Even when her song choices weren't the best, she still sang the HELL out of them. "I Drove All Night", "Blackbird", and "Total Eclipse of the Heart" specifically are performances that don't get the love they deserve. Then...her moments. Wow does Carly have some amazing moments! "Crazy On You" is criminally underrated and one of the performances of the season. "Come Together" is obviously Carly's moment, my favorite Carly performance, and my favorite Beatles cover on the show. She sang the hell out of that song and it was so much fun to watch. And of course "Superstar". Such a great comeback for Carly. She sang it well, it was full of personality, and she had that really cute moment after the performance with the shirt about how Simon finally likes her (this week). Then she gets elimianted :mellow:. When Brooke and Jason were literally right there :mellow:. Ugly! It's a robbery I will never get over and I'm glad she was able to make this endgame so we can sing her praises like she deserves.

On 8/31/2020 at 12:12 AM, *Chris said:

CARLY SMITHSON

36031_h_0.jpg

The 7th season of American Idol is my all-time favourite season, and I grew to love the majority of the Top 12 of that season - there's only a few contestants that I didn't care for. When it came to Carly Smithson, she was in my Top 5 of the season - she was able to always deliver some high-calibre performances such as "Crazy on You", "I Drove All Night", "Come Together", "Blackbird", "Here You Come Again" and "Superstar". She did not deserve to leave when she did, even though one of the alternative was my favourite... Anyway, Carly Smithson is one of my all-time favourite contestants but unfortunately for her, she's up against other contestants that I consider to be some of my all-time favourite hence why she only find herself at #15 on my ranking.

• Like 1

Alex

03. Haley Reinhart

06. Elise Testone

07. Carly Smithson

08. Adam Lambert

11. Blake Lewis

13. Jennifer Hudson

14. Jurnee

15. Vonzell Solomon

17. Trenyce

20. Kimberley Locke

24. Lee DeWyze

Chris

03. Kimberley Locke

11. Lee DeWyze

15. Carly Smithson

16. Elise Testone

17. Blake Lewis

18. Jennifer Hudson

20. Adam Lambert

21. Vonzell Solomon

22. Trenyce

23. Jurnee

24. Haley Reinhart

Elliott

01. Lee DeWyze

04. Blake Lewis

07. Carly Smithson

13. Elise Testone

16. Kimberley Locke

17. Trenyce

18. Jennifer Hudson

19. Jurnee

20. Adam Lambert

22. Vonzell Solmon

24. Haley Reinhart

Nico

02. Adam Lambert

06. Elise Testone

10. Carly Smithson

11. Blake Lewis

12. Haley Reinhart

13. Jennifer Hudson

14. Trenyce

15. Kimberley Locke

18. Jurnee

19. Lee DeWyze

24. Vonzell Solomon

Public

07. Haley Reinhart

13. Vonzell Solomon

14. Jennifer Hudson

15. Adam Lambert

16. Blake Lewis / Kimberley Locke

19. Elise Testone

20. Trenyce

22. Carly Smithson

23. Jurnee

24. Lee DeWyze

Sola

03. Haley Reinhart

05. Jurnee

11. Vonzell Solomon

14. Carly Smithson

15. Jennifer Hudson

16. Lee DeWyze

18. Adam Lambert

19. Elise Testone

20. Blake Lewis

21. Kimberley Locke

24. Trenyce

Victoria

03. Vonzell Solomon

04. Trenyce

11. Kimberley Locke

13. Jennifer Hudson

16. Jurnee

18. Carly Smithson

19. Adam Lambert

20. Blake Lewis

22. Elise Testone

23. Lee DeWyze

24. Haley Reinhart

Zoey

01. Vonzell Solomon

05. Trenyce

07. Kimberley Locke

08. Jurnee

10. Jennifer Hudson

13. Carly Smithson

14. Blake Lewis

16. Elise Testone

18. Haley Reinhart

21. Lee DeWyze

23. Adam Lambert

Carly's great, one of the best voices of her season and super underrated by the judges (although Syesha is still queen of being underrated that season). They pushed her at the beginning but by the time top 10 week rolled around they decided on the David^2 final and the rest of the contestants just became fodder. Really brought down the mood of the season in my opinion, especially since I was not a fan at all of half of the David duo.

As for season 7 itself, it's funny to me how loved it is in retrospect. I remember back when the season was airing, IDF was pretty dreary by the terrible themes and uninspired song choices. In my opinion, it holds up well, even if there was that part in the middle of the finals where everyone became obsessed with ballads and how half of the themes should've been scrapped for things that were more...umm, good musically? Mariah Carey, Neil Diamond, two weeks of Beatles, Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, ugh...