Is Sophia going to win this?

Sept390

30 minutes ago, holinessss said:

i worry her theatrics will be off-putting/broadway-ish

I disagree. I think this seemed a bit over the top simply due to the shortness. They skipped over the entire verses (the quiet parts) of the song. 

1 hour ago, holinessss said:

i worry her theatrics will be off-putting/broadway-ish

I disagree. She's a powerhouse vocalist but she's definitely not a "diva" that we used to get on Idol

I think her major problem is enunciation.

6 hours ago, Sept390 said:

She is young

She has a personality and is likeable

She is a powerhouse vocalist

She has a distinct sound/tone

She is marketable and not a dreary ballad singer

She's from CA, which is a big strike with Idol voters, who voted Laine over Alejandro.

57 minutes ago, mytake1 said:

She's from CA, which is a big strike with Idol voters, who voted Laine over Alejandro.

I don’t think in ABC Idol it matters as much... heck Maddie won and she was from Iowa and the Midwest has never had much success on the show

1 hour ago, Blirel said:

I don’t think in ABC Idol it matters as much... heck Maddie won and she was from Iowa and the Midwest has never had much success on the show

David Cook, Lee Dewyze were from the mid-west.  In 17 seasons, there has never been a winner from CA or NY.  The disconnect is with the voting audience.  

Edited by mytake1

50 minutes ago, mytake1 said:

David Cook, Lee Dewyze were from the mid-west.  In 17 seasons, there has never been a winner from CA or NY.  The disconnect is with the voting audience.  

Yes, but there’s always a first time.  And with Alejandro at least, there was a problem with his vocal skill.

Incidentally, I wonder why contestants from California or NYC have such a hard time connecting with the voters.

1 hour ago, CarmenSandiego said:

Yes, but there’s always a first time.  And with Alejandro at least, there was a problem with his vocal skill.

Incidentally, I wonder why contestants from California or NYC have such a hard time connecting with the voters.

It's the viewer demographics.  The majority are from the South.  That's why most of the winners are from the South. 

Unfortunately Julia Gargano is from NY.

But winning Idol these days doesn't mean a whole lot.  Alejandro didn't win, but he has the better career.  He has created more buzz.  And Idol has seized on that.

Edited by mytake1

5 hours ago, Carrie_On said:

I feel really bad for Lauren Spencer Smith, because I don’t know if she’ll have any chance, being from Canada. 

She’s got a huge fan base in the states too prior to the show. She may have a shot if she builds up a big enough fan base. Hollie Cavanaugh and a few others from GB or Canada have done well I think

2 hours ago, Blirel said:

She’s got a huge fan base in the states too prior to the show. She may have a shot if she builds up a big enough fan base. Hollie Cavanaugh and a few others from GB or Canada have done well I think

And if she’s consistent.  Or to be more accurate, consistently great.  Or better yet, she improves while remaining great.  All contestants who make it to the Top 20 or Top 10 should be consistent while improving if they wish to make the finale and win.