The Official Rankdown Off-Topic Thread

LOL I feel like I finally agree with some of Kevin's thoughts. :dead: 

Loved Abi's "Bring Me to Life." :wub: Not big on Emmy overall but she definitely delivered a great and her best performance that night. That was very beautiful. :yes: I also think Jack and Julia were highlights that night too - probably my 3rd and 4th but I can't remember the order.

Ugh yeah I get the comments on this McKenna performance. :( She was in danger when it got down to the Top 10. She pulled out a wonderful performance with "Iris," which saved her. ❤️ But her performance the following night was a little forgettable though. I was happy she got Katy's save that night, at least.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elliott said:

I can’t remember who my fellow The Mole loyalists are (outside of @jarmon), but Netflix S2 is premiering June 27th :wub:

Will someone out-mother Joi is the question.

I love the mole and I am eagerly awaiting that!

• Like 2

Just now, QueenKalie said:

I love the mole and I am eagerly awaiting that!

Hopefully the editing on the second go-around is better. The way they edited their first mole was horrendous. 🥴

I feel like S1 was fine, and then the second it ended I was like okay moving on. Would've been absolute crap without Joi imo. I'll probably try S2, but if I'm not feeling it I'll just have to accept the good ol days of The Mole are dead 😭

I'm gonna try to finish this season this weekend. Not off to a great start with the top 7 show, easily the worst of the season thus far. What kind of masochist decided on "Dance Songs" as a theme for THIS group of contestants? :haha: Everyone was so bad!

The Adele theme was marginally better, at least for the girls. For the most part, I feel like this episode just revealed how amateur these contestants are when they're forced to leave their comfort zones. Every Adele cover just made me wish I was listening to a previous, better contestant or Adele herself. Like remember when Queen Testownage gave us the be-all end-all cover of One and Only on the Idol stage? Lol f*cking Jack Blocker isn't gonna compare to that, come on now.

McKenna - She was weird for me, because one show I'd really be tapping into her performance, and the next she'd insist on boring me to tears. I think she was inconsistent, and not quite as able to show us different flavors of her talent like Abi could. This was probably the right time for her to leave, all things considered.

Julia - On the other hand, I think Julia had at least one more week left in her. She had the strongest voice of the girls and very rarely did I not enjoy her performances to at least some extent. Her dance song was mediocre (oh hey so was everyone else) but I think she redeemed herself with the Adele cover. She absolutely should've stuck around over Triston.

Top 5 show was definitely better than top 7. My favorite performances were Abi's Little Mermaid song and Will's "Born to Be Wild". Didn't care so much for "The Chain", but Will's first song was going fine until he forgot the words...went downhill fast after that lol.

Triston - He was my initial favorite this season and "God's Country" was the best performance in Hawaii imo. Sadly, it was a downward spiral after that, to the extent that I'm not even sure if I consider myself a fan anymore. If Triston were a few years older and had more experience, he could've won this show hands down. It was his youth and inconsistency that caught up to him in the end.

Emmy - She ended up being similar to McKenna imo, but to more extremes if that makes sense? Like between the two of them, I think Emmy had both the lower lows AND the higher highs, it's kind of impressive lmao. She did fine on top 5 week and I personally would've put her in the finale over Jack. Similar to Triston, I suppose her inconsistency caught up with her in the end.

It's interesting to see you say that about Julia, because one of the only times I've seen pretty much every Idol-related forum unite was in thinking that Julia had the worst night of the Top 7 (or marginally above Triston). :haha: Even places where she was typically liked thought she was bad.

• Like 1

It's interesting to see you say that about Julia, because one of the only times I've seen pretty much every Idol-related forum unite was in thinking that Julia had the worst night of the Top 7 (or marginally above Triston). :haha: Even places where she was typically liked thought she was bad.

That's because Roam was horrendous. :haha: I'm not crying foul at her elimination too much due to that, but I did think SFttR was a marked improvement.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Yeah, she should have blown the others out of the water on the Adele round but she was so bad. 

I'm still enjoying reading many of your comments on the season, Kevin! 😄 I fell behind but catching up on what I missed.

LOL yeah the Dance Songs theme was such a mess. :dead: I didn't mind it in the sense that we got Ciara as a mentor and she was the perfect mentor for it. :wub: But sadly most of this season's crop of contestants aren't performers, lol. I did really enjoy Jack and he was my favorite that round. Also agree with you that the Adele round was better, especially from the ladies - I enjoyed McKenna, Abi and Julia the most there. Also enjoyed Jack here too (though yes, his "One & Only" does not compare to Elise's). 

Ugh McKenna was my favorite of this Top 7 but knew she was on borrowed time and was likely to go this week anyway. :( I get your comments on her having highs and lows. I did enjoy most of her performances and thought she had some standouts. But she had a few iffy performances that could have been better (like the week she was sick + the performance she did on Judges' Song contest). I was surprised to see Julia go - before this show, I thought she would have sailed through to the Top 5 (over Emmy). But I think her Dance Song performance probably did  her in. That performance was sooo bad and awkward lol. She redeemed herself with the Adele song for sure but I felt like the damage was already done. 

Agreed with you on Abi's Little Mermaid song being one of the best performances of the Top 5. Jack's BTBW was probably up there for me too - like 3rd best, I think? Ahhh your change of heart on Triston. I was curious and wondering if this would happen. I agree that he started off decently and was good early on but he did falter and got worse as the competition went on. He's someone that could have sailed through to the final and win - just passing on being good and decent, so I was surprised he missed the final. Emmy lasted longer than I thought she would have. OOH And I totally agree with you on Emmy having some higher highs and lower lows in her run - it was a very inconsistent run but at least she had some great moments. Both Emmy and Triston lasted longer than I wanted them to but oh well, it is what it is.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Elliott said:

3 minutes ago, QueenKalie said:

Yeah, she should have blown the others out of the water on the Adele round but she was so bad. 

Wait, I don't know where this narrative of "Set Fire to the Rain" was so bad on Top 7 night? :dead: Yeah everyone agreed that "Roam" was a hot mess and one of the worst of the night. But I thought SFTTR had much better received thoughts. :haha: I know/remember QK hated it and maybe a few others but I saw most people really liking it. :haha: 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Jack Blocker: "My wife Georgia is amazing, my best friend, my high school sweetheart."

Also Jack Blocker: ALLLLL MY EXES LIVE IN TEXAS

Somebody slap this boy fr lol wtf. Anyway, he lasted too long. I liked semifinals Jack, but by the time he did that mediocre cover of "Believe" I was done with him. His performances became too self-indulgent for my tastes and I disliked how the judges/mentors encouraged his negative singing habits. "Always On My Mind" was very good, absolutely his personal best, but outside of that? I just simply didn't care. Swap his spot with Kayko in the pecking order and this season would be up there among the best of the FOX years for me.

I know you guys don't like Will, but unlike Triston, I did generally enjoy him from beginning to end. He gave a handful of poor performances near the end, but overall he was consistently pretty good. I don't think he ever jumped to the next level like this season's winner did, but as a "best of the rest" runner-up, Will's just fine imo.

As for Abi... rare win for IDF, but I do think by the top 7 or so, she was in a completely different league. She peaked in the competition at the right time and was able to ride that momentum all the way to the crown. Her finale performances were all top-notch and she deserved to be the new American Idol. Major kudos to her for winning me over after a very meh beginning, to the extent that she's now my second favorite of the season after Kayko #loloops.

Rough final rankings of the top 10:

1. Kayko

2. Abi

3. Julia

4. Mia

5. Will

6. Emmy

7. McKenna

8. Triston

9. Jack

10. Kaibrienne (based on her entire body of work, but HWY >>> anything Triston/Jack did)

Edited by Weedy_Speedy
  • Confused 3

8 minutes ago, *Wallace said:

Wait, I don't know where this narrative of "Set Fire to the Rain" was so bad on Top 7 night? :dead: Yeah everyone agreed that "Roam" was a hot mess and one of the worst of the night. But I thought SFTTR had much better received thoughts. :haha: I know/remember QK hated it and maybe a few others but I saw most people really liking it. :haha: 

I don't remember what other people thought but it was a vocal disaster so people shouldn't have liked it at least. :dead:

5 minutes ago, Weedy_Speedy said:

Jack Blocker: "My wife Georgia is amazing, my best friend, my high school sweetheart."

Also Jack Blocker: ALLLLL MY EXES LIVE IN TEXAS

Somebody slap this boy fr lol wtf. Anyway, he lasted too long. I liked semifinals Jack, but by the time he did that mediocre cover of "Believe" I was done with him. His performances became too self-indulgent for my tastes and I disliked how the judges/mentors encouraged his negative singing habits. "Always On My Mind" was very good, absolutely his personal best, but outside of that? I just simply didn't care. Swap his spot with Kayko in the pecking order and this season would be up there among the best of the FOX years for me.

I know you guys don't like Will, but unlike Triston, I did generally enjoy him from beginning to end. He gave a handful of poor performances near the end, but overall he was consistently pretty good. I don't think he ever jumped to the next level like this season's winner did, but as a "best of the rest" runner-up, Will's just fine imo.

As for Abi... rare win for IDF, but I do think by the top 7 or so, she was in a completely different league. She peaked in the competition at the right time and was able to ride that momentum all the way to the crown. Her finale performances were all top-notch and she deserved to be the new American Idol. Major kudos to her for winning me over after a very meh beginning, to the extent that she's now my second favorite of the season after Kayko #loloops.

1. Kayko

2. Abi

3. Julia

4. Mia

5. Will

6. Emmy

7. McKenna

8. Triston

9. Jack

10. Kaibrienne (based on her entire body of work, but HWY >>> anything Triston/Jack did)

Ignoring Tina Fey GIF by Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

8 minutes ago, Weedy_Speedy said:

1. Kayko

2. Abi

3. Julia

4. Mia

5. Will

6. Emmy

7. McKenna

8. Triston

9. Jack

These rankings are not it. :dead:

13 minutes ago, *Wallace said:

I mean, on a performance night where everyone was generally pretty bad, is it that surprising that a minority contestant was considered "the worst"? #notsorry

Ignoring Tina Fey GIF by Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

IoAiRr1nrrJn2.webp

16 minutes ago, *Wallace said:

I always thought SFttR was also poorly received. :whut:

Maybe it was just QK and I having a rare moment of agreeing that made me think that way. :haha: